Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 24, 2011
5:47:02 AM
View profile
Focus resets itself on powerup

I travel quite often so I have to power my phone off and on frequently. Today when I landed in the Philippines and powered my phone on the phone reset itself with what appears to be a hard reset. Everything is new. I have to reconfigure my email and such.  All of my photos are gone etc. When I re synched over the air with Windows live, My contacts returned as expected, but then I had to turn off my phone for the next flight and the phone reset itself the next time it was powered on. I seems that every time I power the phone back on it is hard resetting?  Any ideas. THis is a huge pain obviously and I am really mad about losing my text messages and saved photos, not to mention the pain of re applying apps and such.

I travel quite often so I have to power my phone off and on frequently. Today when I landed in the Philippines and powered my phone on the phone reset itself with what appears to be a hard reset. Everything is new. I have to reconfigure my email and such.  All of my photos are gone etc. When I re synched over the air with Windows live, My contacts returned as expected, but then I had to turn off my phone for the next flight and the phone reset itself the next time it was powered on. I seems that every time I power the phone back on it is hard resetting?  Any ideas. THis is a huge pain obviously and I am really mad about losing my text messages and saved photos, not to mention the pain of re applying apps and such.

Focus resets itself on powerup

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2011 7:12:41 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Mar 24, 2011 at 7:15:36 AM

Did you have a microSD card in your phone? It seems like the typical synptom of the microSD card acting up which is very common. Also check the total storage space of the phone. If you do have a microSD card and your phone resets, it will be something like 15MB total storage space!

Did you have a microSD card in your phone? It seems like the typical synptom of the microSD card acting up which is very common. Also check the total storage space of the phone. If you do have a microSD card and your phone resets, it will be something like 15MB total storage space!

Re: Focus resets itself on powerup

[ Edited ]
2 of 7 (583 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2011 7:33:09 AM
(0)
Professor

foxbat121 wrote:

No MicroSD

foxbat121 wrote:

No MicroSD

3 of 7 (567 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2011 9:21:19 AM
(0)
Scholar

Paolo01 wrote:

Wow, what a coincidence.  The very same thing happened to me on a trip to the Philippines this month.  In my case, the Focus ran out of battery and when I started to re-charge, the phone went to default factory settings, ie, as if a hard reset was performed.  After that, it won't even charge to more than 25-30%.  Since I had another phone with me (I never travel without a backup phone), I did not bother to try figure out what was wrong and just returned it to Costco for a replacement upon coming back to the US (it was still covered by Costco' 90-day return policy).

Paolo01 wrote:

Wow, what a coincidence.  The very same thing happened to me on a trip to the Philippines this month.  In my case, the Focus ran out of battery and when I started to re-charge, the phone went to default factory settings, ie, as if a hard reset was performed.  After that, it won't even charge to more than 25-30%.  Since I had another phone with me (I never travel without a backup phone), I did not bother to try figure out what was wrong and just returned it to Costco for a replacement upon coming back to the US (it was still covered by Costco' 90-day return policy).

4 of 7 (521 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2011 11:14:51 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by bengregory on Mar 26, 2011 at 11:16:10 AM
I have seen this behavior on a couple of phones.   I have found that a simple power off and then back on again usually resolved it.
I have seen this behavior on a couple of phones.   I have found that a simple power off and then back on again usually resolved it.

[ Edited ]
5 of 7 (453 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2011 11:53:43 AM
(0)
Professor

bengregory wrote:

The problem is that the simple power off and back on again resets the phone as posted in the original post. The behavior is consistent now and is a real pain. I'll be back int he US soon and I'll take it to att.

bengregory wrote:

The problem is that the simple power off and back on again resets the phone as posted in the original post. The behavior is consistent now and is a real pain. I'll be back int he US soon and I'll take it to att.

6 of 7 (446 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2011 9:24:53 PM
(0)
Professor

What I had originally thought was a problem only on powerup now seems to be a general memory problem. The phone now no longer maintains call logs and will not completely sync claiming it does not have enough memory. Error Code: 80070070. It wants me to free up memory by deleting items which it deleted itself on powerup.

I also cannot sync to Zune anymore to reload any apps or such. Very strange.

I called att tech support and they did the standard walk me through troubleshooting. I did a software hard reset and a hardware hard reset (Camera button, volume down and power) In the end after resetting the phone froze on the Samsung boot screen. They sent me to an att wireless store to try a new battery. In the end att warranty services declared that the phone was dead and is mailing me a new (refurb) phone. Bummer. I loved my phone, but something killed it that I cannot identify. That calls for a little concern, but I'll chalk this up as a one time if the new phone has no issues.

What I had originally thought was a problem only on powerup now seems to be a general memory problem. The phone now no longer maintains call logs and will not completely sync claiming it does not have enough memory. Error Code: 80070070. It wants me to free up memory by deleting items which it deleted itself on powerup.

I also cannot sync to Zune anymore to reload any apps or such. Very strange.

I called att tech support and they did the standard walk me through troubleshooting. I did a software hard reset and a hardware hard reset (Camera button, volume down and power) In the end after resetting the phone froze on the Samsung boot screen. They sent me to an att wireless store to try a new battery. In the end att warranty services declared that the phone was dead and is mailing me a new (refurb) phone. Bummer. I loved my phone, but something killed it that I cannot identify. That calls for a little concern, but I'll chalk this up as a one time if the new phone has no issues.

7 of 7 (407 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments