Focus Tethering

Scholar

Focus Tethering

Was just wondering if it is possible to tether my Focus Windows phone with my android tablet (Archos 101). I tried and ther phone said it couldn't recognize it. I'm I doing something wrong or is it just not possible? Has Anyone had tethering success from one OS to another?

Message 1 of 10 (1,058 Views)
Master

Re: Focus Tethering

Current version of WP7 only has some unofficial DUN (Dial Up Networking) support via USB port after you enabled it via a code. Such DUN tethering is not going to be supported by your tablet. The upcoming Mango update will contain wi-fi hot spot for tethering but reportedly it is up to carrier to decide. More than likely this feature will be stripped out in AT&T's final update of Mango for Focus unless AT&T can tie this feature to your account (you have to pay for the tethering plan in order to tether) as they did with current Android phones.

Message 2 of 10 (1,047 Views)
Scholar

Thanks for the reply. I figured it was something like that. Anywhere where there's money to be made...

Message 3 of 10 (1,041 Views)

[ Edited ]
Message 4 of 10 (972 Views)
Scholar

Ah...I'd better pass on that!   At least until after the Mango update.  I am surprised, though; I didn't realize the phone wasn't able to tether. Is that a phone thing or something from AT&T?  Or should I even ask? 

Message 5 of 10 (955 Views)
Mentor

I believe its an At&t thing and not the phone although tech support told me that the Focus doesn't have the 'radio' required to Wireless Tether.  I would even go for USB tethering and from what I read it can be done but not above board.   At&t even allowed me to switch over to the personal DataPro plan with tethering knowing full well I was using a Focus.  It was tech support that told me the Focus couldn't do that, even my online account features still shows it as an option.  If I could test another carrier to compare coverage I would seriously consider switching to someone else.  I pay almost $150 a month for 3 lines and 550 minutes.  My 5 year old Palm Treo was capable of USB tethering so it just amazes me that the Samsung Focus can't or they just wont allow it for some reason. 

Message 6 of 10 (852 Views)
Expert

terryk wrote:

I believe its an At&t thing and not the phone although tech support told me that the Focus doesn't have the 'radio' required to Wireless Tether.  I would even go for USB tethering and from what I read it can be done but not above board.   At&t even allowed me to switch over to the personal DataPro plan with tethering knowing full well I was using a Focus.  It was tech support that told me the Focus couldn't do that, even my online account features still shows it as an option.  If I could test another carrier to compare coverage I would seriously consider switching to someone else.  I pay almost $150 a month for 3 lines and 550 minutes.  My 5 year old Palm Treo was capable of USB tethering so it just amazes me that the Samsung Focus can't or they just wont allow it for some reason. 

looks liek it is more of a phone thing - this article from Nov 2010 - shows the issue on a samsung phone

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/11/windows-phone-7-usb-tethering-uncovered-on-samsung-phones/

Message 7 of 10 (844 Views)
Mentor

I must have overlooked something in that link...why do you say its a phone thing when its being hacked to work as a USB modem by several?  I agree the wireless tethering may not be there but the USB tethering ability appears to be.

Message 8 of 10 (838 Views)
Expert

terryk wrote:

I must have overlooked something in that link...why do you say its a phone thing when its being hacked to work as a USB modem by several?  I agree the wireless tethering may not be there but the USB tethering ability appears to be.

Only if you hack it

A couple of sites have come upon a quick and relatively easy hack to enable using your handset as a 3G modem on Microsoft's new platform.

If you have to enter anything outside of a menu selection to do something it is a hack, the ability is there but not from the normal selection menu that average Joe Sixpack user is familiar with, sounds like a phone feature issue to me

Message 9 of 10 (835 Views)
Tutor

The focus radio supports WiFi hotspot.  AT&T has just chosen not to enable it.

Message 10 of 10 (791 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.