Helpful Links

Flipside Low Memory

Contributor

Flipside Low Memory

I keep getting a low memory on the Moto Flipside did the upgrade and reset??

Need Help????!!!?!?!?!

Message 1 of 57
Teacher

Re: Flipside Low Memory

Well, I'm also in the same boat, getting low memory errors every morning after the phone is on overnight.  And I can give you my total downloaded apps right now is 5 - they total less than 40mb, and I never seem to find anything using cache.  I close any open tasks multiple times daily, don't use texting or Gmail, delete the 3-5 emails that daily link over to my Comcast account.  Frankly, I'm using less resources right now than I would have been with my 5 yr old LG that my wife still has.

Spent today with someone that just got a Captivate, and I envy his situation.  Only reason that I went this route is the arthritis in my hands isn't as bad with a real keyboard as it is using touchscreens...

Someone please tell me that the 2.2 upgrade is somewhere on the calendar for this?

Thanks, all,

Mac.

Message 16 of 57
Teacher

Oh, and Ann154, meant to add this - when I get the low memory errors, I can not actually get readings on remaining memory - it just says "low memory"....after the reboot, it is usually around 50-60mb.  It stays fine all day long, but after sitting overnight, it usually reverts back to the "low memory" status.  And, joking about "Angry Birds" aside, that really is the only app that I still have on here that wasn't removed during trouble-shooting over the last couple of months.  Is there any indication that this app might result in these huge memory changes overnight?

Thanks for your interest and help!

Mac.

Message 17 of 57
Master

Maybe. Okay just to start ruling out different options.
1. Check angry birds under the manage applications and find out if the game is holding on to any cache that can be deleted.
2. Check your internal memory throughout the day. When you boot the phone, before you start playing angry birds or a session of Internet browsing, after you have finished the game or browser, and before you shut down the phone.
I am not saying you need to this every hour or for the rest of life of the phone. Just long enough to gather a pattern. A few days should do it. Keep track of numbers and report back here.
3. After getting that pattern is recorded, try uninstalling angry birds for a couple of days. Check the internal memory during that in similar time sequence you did while you had the game installed. Post those numbers as well.
Maybe by comparing the numbers between the two scenarios, a solution can be found.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 18 of 57
Teacher

Thanks, Ann - I've already done all of this except for the uninstall of the Angry Birds component.  And I don't actually play that daily - have gone more than a week without doing so, and still had to reboot the phone daily.  Since I've gotten the phone approximately 75 days ago, I have had roughly 6 or 7 nights that have NOT resulted in a needed reboot...and I have not done anything different on those nights that I can identify.

FYI...(although I am not egotistical enough to think that I know everything in the field), I am a server and storage engineer, so I overall work with the memory allocation of systems.  But I certainly am NOT a mobile expert.  I only mention this so that you know that if you need to make deeper recommendations on usage, I should normally be able to follow them...

As far as your recommendations...

1 - I have done so, and there are no signs that the game is holding the cache.  I do not regularly play any games - often going a week or more without using any auxiliary programs, and have had the phone go to "low memory" without having even made a phone call the previous day - let alone playing a game of any sort...

2 - Internal memory (as identified in the "Internal Phone Storage") consists of 39.48mb at 10:30pm this evening.  "Task Manager" shows nothing running other than the "BrowserMessage" that I let run so that I can see if I received any emails.  Everything else is shut down.  And I do not use this to answer any of the emails.

2A - Given the fact that I am on the 200mb/month plan, I do NOTHING on the internet since I still don't know what will result in data-plan usage at times - browser is only opened accidentally, and I immediately shut it back down.  I only download/check stuff when I am on my wifi at home, so there is no real likelihood of internet issue here.  (And any browser apps that might be opened are closed shortly thereafter since I then go to the task manager and do so - and my present billing seems consistent with the ads/usage that I expect.)

3 - I have considered uninstalling even "Angry Birds" - but, realistically, if I am not finding that this is an issue for anyone else, then the problem lies elsewhere.  Even if not having it installed stops the "memory" problem on my phone but no one else experiences the problem with it loaded, then "Angry Birds" really is not the problem...

My presently intstalled programs that are in my control are:

Angry Birds - 16mb

Angry Birds Holidays -14mb

Darts - 1mb

Labyrinth Lite 800kb

Minesweeper Classic - 536kb

Missile Shield - 1mb

Text Edit - 200kb

Totalling approx 34mb....out of 512mb in the phone?  And this is enough to give me low/out of memory errors?  I'll gladly move these to the SD card when Android 2.2 is available!...  Smiley Tongue

Thanks for the help - and please don't take my response as anything negative....I will try to track the patterns as you suggest, but wanted you to know that I have been doing so for an extended period of time already.

Mac.

Message 19 of 57
Teacher

Sorry, Ann - didn't mean to lie earlier - I see now that I presently have 7 apps loaded....

Message 20 of 57
Master

jjmcclos wrote:

That's fine. I am by no means a mobile expert either,  I have just learned which apps are the usual suspects are when dealing with this memory game.

As far as your recommendations...

1 - I have done so, and there are no signs that the game is holding the cache.  I do not regularly play any games - often going a week or more without using any auxiliary programs, and have had the phone go to "low memory" without having even made a phone call the previous day - let alone playing a game of any sort... If that is the case , something else is going on.

2 - Internal memory (as identified in the "Internal Phone Storage") consists of 39.48mb at 10:30pm this evening.  "Task Manager" shows nothing running other than the "BrowserMessage" that I let run so that I can see if I received any emails.  Everything else is shut down.  And I do not use this to answer any of the emails.  While 39.48 mb is fairly low, I wouldn't think you should be getting messages at that point.  Then again your phone might have the minimum set differently.  Which Task Manager/Killer are you using?

2A - Given the fact that I am on the 200mb/month plan, I do NOTHING on the internet since I still don't know what will result in data-plan usage at times - browser is only opened accidentally, and I immediately shut it back down.  I only download/check stuff when I am on my wifi at home, so there is no real likelihood of internet issue here.  (And any browser apps that might be opened are closed shortly thereafter since I then go to the task manager and do so - and my present billing seems consistent with the ads/usage that I expect.)  Even if you shut down the browser, it can hold the cache in the memory.

3 - I have considered uninstalling even "Angry Birds" - but, realistically, if I am not finding that this is an issue for anyone else, then the problem lies elsewhere.  Even if not having it installed stops the "memory" problem on my phone but no one else experiences the problem with it loaded, then "Angry Birds" really is not the problem...

My presently installed programs that are in my control are:

Angry Birds - 16mb

Angry Birds Holidays -14mb

Darts - 1mb

Labyrinth Lite 800kb

Minesweeper Classic - 536kb

Missile Shield - 1mb

Text Edit - 200kb

Is this list the only apps you see in the manage applications?  If it is, while in the list, press menu > filter > show all.  Wait for the list to populate.  Then press menu > sort by size.  This will give you a list of both downloaded and pre-installed apps.  Let's what your top twenty app are and their sizes.  While you are in there, select each one and check for cache in each one.  Clear any cache you find and note the size change.  Also scroll down and look for the following apps and note their size:  email, dialer storage, maps, market and at&t nav.  These are the pre-installed apps that may be holding either cache or data.  We don't want to clear data for these apps, but lots of data storage could be dragging the memory down.

Uninstalling both Angry Birds app should get you up to about 65-70 mb free.  Otherwise the other apps you have listed don't pop out as been super large.  They do look like other games that could be holding on to some cache.  I checked some size of the apps on the market.  These app "should" be smaller, but that sometimes is deceiving since they unzip when they are installed.

Darts - apps of mixed sizes available < 500 kb

Labyrinth Lite - 686 kb download

Minesweeper Classic - 270 or 500 kb download

Missile Shield - 690 kb download

For example I had two apps that were about 15 mb each and approx 15-20 other downloaded and I was averaging 50-60 mb of internal memory available.  At the moment I have them and others uninstalled so I am at 106 mb free of 160 mb of internal memory.

Totaling approx 34mb....out of 512mb in the phone?  And this is enough to give me low/out of memory errors?  I'll gladly move these to the SD card when Android 2.2 is available!...  Smiley Tongue Not all of the 512 mb is available for the app.  Most of it is taken up by the OS system.  I think my phone had a total of 512 mb too, but as you can see above only 160 mb was available for installation of apps.

Thanks for the help - and please don't take my response as anything negative....I will try to track the patterns as you suggest, but wanted you to know that I have been doing so for an extended period of time already.

Mac.

Hope this helps with the trouble shooting.

Message 21 of 57
Contributor

My daughter has this phone and we've had low memory errors since the first week, several times a week. She has ZERO apps downloaded, besides what came preinstalled. She doesn't use email on her phone at all. Today she was down to 15.15 mb free, after going through to clear caches (all were empty) we deleted all the data programs she doesn't use had stored and have it up to only 17 mb free.

Am I to understand that she cannot install apps to SD? and with none installed is already out of storage?

Message 22 of 57
Teacher

The dialer storage shows 56.0 kb and the cache is clear.  I took some of your suggestions from the otehr posts and the caches are clear.  The error message has not come up so far today (knock on wood!)  I will continue to monitor this site and if I have another issue I will let you know.  ThanksSmiley Happy

Message 23 of 57
Master

michmatch wrote:

My daughter has this phone and we've had low memory errors since the first week, several times a week. She has ZERO apps downloaded, besides what came preinstalled. She doesn't use email on her phone at all. Today she was down to 15.15 mb free, after going through to clear caches (all were empty) we deleted all the data programs she doesn't use had stored and have it up to only 17 mb free.

Am I to understand that she cannot install apps to SD? and with none installed is already out of storage?

no additional apps installed...15 mb free...hmmm...THAT is a head scratcher.  Is she a heavy texter?  Can you go into Manage Applications using the instructions I posted earlier and give us a list of her 10-20 largeset applications?  Something is holding on to some memory there.  This should have pre-installed apps in this list.

Without some more information, I would say a factory reset is your best option.  After activating the phone, see how much internal memory she is starting out with.

You can only move apps to the sd card with Froyo (Android 2.2).  The Flipside come with Eclair (Android 2.1)

Message 24 of 57
Master

cdh85 wrote:

The dialer storage shows 56.0 kb and the cache is clear.  I took some of your suggestions from the otehr posts and the caches are clear.  The error message has not come up so far today (knock on wood!)  I will continue to monitor this site and if I have another issue I will let you know.  ThanksSmiley Happy

Thanks and keep us posted.

Message 25 of 57
Teacher

re: Flipside Low Memory

My luck did not hold out. I got the low memory storage: phone storage is getting low.  I had to turn the phone off and on again.The internal phone storage says 62.76 MB.  Next suggestion?

Message 26 of 57
Teacher

Re: re: Flipside Low Memory

I have another stupid question, where do I find the trash folder?  I  know when I want to get rid of something how to do it but I can not get to it to clear it out. Thanks again

Message 27 of 57
Master

@cdh85
Did have internal memory of 62.76 mb before or after you rebooted? With you still getting the low memory message at this level of internal memory, I am beginning to think the best thing is to consider a factory reset. By starting with the phone from scratch, it should clear some hidden problem. I know that I said factory reset for others before, but I am also running out ideas. I do know one thing. Low memory messages should not happen at an internal memory of 40 mb or higher. Smiley Sad

For the trash folder, are you trying to delete emails or delete an icon from one of your home screens? To delete an icon, press and the the icon until it releases. While still holding the icon drag it to the trash can that is now at the bottom of the screen. The icon will turn red when it is over the trash can. Now release the icon.
Message 28 of 57
Teacher

Ok, I may try to factory reset.  As for the teash icon, I know ow to put something in it; I just don't know how to clear it out. 

Message 29 of 57
Master

You shouldn't need to and there is no way for you to clean out that particular trash can.
Message 30 of 57
Share this topic
Announcements

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Have questions about International Plans? Get the answers on Wed. 10/25 at Hello World: International Plans, from 1-4pm ET / 10am-1pm PT!

Let us help you upgrade and activate your device!

Additional Support