Flipside Low Memory

Contributor

Flipside Low Memory

I keep getting a low memory on the Moto Flipside did the upgrade and reset??

Need Help????!!!?!?!?!

Message 1 of 57 (7,201 Views)
Master

Re: Flipside Low Memory

[ Edited ]

When you say you did the upgrade and reset, do you mean that you did a factory reset? If it was a factory reset, you should be seeing a low phone memory so soon.

Anything else, start by verifying your internal phone storage size. Menu > settings > sd card & phone storage. Anything under 30 mb and you will see problems.
Clear your cache. Menu > settings > applications > manage applications. If necessary wait for the list to completely load. Press menu > sort by size. Go through each application one by one. Each app that has a white "clear cache" press it to clear the cache. After a while you start to notice which applications like to horde cache in the phone's memory. While your in there consider un-installing any applications you had downloaded that haven't been used in a while.
Also take a look at size of an application called "Dialer Storage". Anything under 1 mb should be okay, anything bigger might warrant a factory reset. This application holds your call history and text messages.
Back to home screen. Open your text message application. Delete as many threads or individual messages as you can stand. If you want to backup those messages, download an sms backup app from the market. There are several out there. Choose the one with the best rating and the features that work for you. I like SMS backup & Restore by Ritesh Satu.
Clear your call history.
Go back to the Manage Applications and check "Dialer Storage". Hopefully it didn't increase in size and actually decreased.

After all this is done, reboot the phone and go back to SD card & phone storage and check see how much space you gained. I would recommend clearing the cache at least once a week or checking the internal storage to see if you should clear the cache.

Good luck!
EDIT: After a factory reset, you SHOULDN'T be seeing a low memory warning so soon.

Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 57 (6,745 Views)
Master

Oh forgot to mention, delete any emails you don't need on your phone. Check the trash folder as well.
Message 3 of 57 (6,733 Views)
Professor

Dre1 wrote:

I keep getting a low memory on the Moto Flipside did the upgrade and reset??

Need Help????!!!?!?!?!

What do you mean you "did the upgrade"? There is an upgrade for the Backflip. The Flipside comes with Android 2.1 out of the box. There are no available upgrades.

Message 4 of 57 (6,710 Views)
Contributor

My phone didnt have 2.1 installed on it. We did a master reset again on it today, so far so good on the phone. We just went over the 30 day mark on it. So we are now stuck with it. Dome phone..

Message 5 of 57 (6,693 Views)
Contributor

All my cache balances are "0", and my phone only has internal memory of 21.73. Have Low Memory problems constantly and miss calls and messages because of it.

Only apps I am running besides preloaded is Google Maps and Facebook. I have tried to remove the apps I do not want, such as AT&T navigator, AT&T Radio, AT&T Maps, AT&T Music, Vlingo Voice, Voice Dialer, Mobile Banking, Mobi TV, ... all to total frustration and failure.  I do not intend to use these apps and don't want them.

Don't understand why phone is locked by AT&T so that these take up memory that I cannot use??

Message 6 of 57 (6,084 Views)
Master

All the preloaded applications can't be removed from the phone unless you decide to void your warranty and root the phone. How many applications have you downloaded to your phone? Do you need every single one of them? Have you cleaned out your text messages, call history, emails?
Message 7 of 57 (6,077 Views)
Teacher

THis may be silly but where on the phone is the dialer storage?  It did not come up on my manage appliations. 

Message 8 of 57 (6,011 Views)
Master

It is only visible in the manage applications listing when you filter it to show all applications. I have also found it is easier to look for an application when you sort a-z.
Message 9 of 57 (6,002 Views)
Teacher

THank you for your help.  This site has been more help than ever with the ne phone!

Message 10 of 57 (5,986 Views)
Master

Glad to help. After owning an Android phone for a year now, doing a bit of maintaining to the phone is second nature.
Message 11 of 57 (4,091 Views)
Teacher

Me again.   My phone keeps giving me the symbol for low phone storage.  I have looked at the cahces adn they are zero. If I power the phone off and then back on it goes away short term.  What else can I do or what is casuing this problem?  Thanks.

Message 12 of 57 (4,074 Views)
Master

How low of memory are we talking about?
Message 13 of 57 (4,068 Views)
Teacher

Right now internal phone storage says 58.42 MB. 

Message 14 of 57 (4,059 Views)
Master

What!?  That is messed up!  Smiley Mad  You shouldn't be getting a low memory notice at 58 mb.  I was running my phone at an average of 50 mb for several months and no messages about low memory.  You should get a notice somewhere under 30 mb maybe.  Under 15 mb definitely.  What does the message say specifically?  Is it mentioning a certain function like text messages full or something else.

Did you ever find out how large the Dialer Storage is on your phone?

Message 15 of 57 (4,050 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support