Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 31, 2010
6:48:02 PM
View profile
Flipside Low Memory

I keep getting a low memory on the Moto Flipside did the upgrade and reset??

Need Help????!!!?!?!?!

I keep getting a low memory on the Moto Flipside did the upgrade and reset??

Need Help????!!!?!?!?!

Flipside Low Memory

56 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(56)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2011 8:26:03 PM
(0)
Teacher

Hi, Ann - I see that there are a few others expressing concern on this since I posted, so I don't feel quite as alone right now...and sorry about the delay in responding.

First question that I now have, though - how on earth did you manage to do an inline "quote and respond" reply to my posting?  I kept trying to do it to yours, but I can't figure out how in this forum.  I am a member of other ones where it isn't a problem, but this one doesn't seem to provide an automated method to do so.  Since you did so on my prior email, can you please let me know how?  I've resorted to "copy-paste" below, and hope that it comes through OK.

-------------------------------------------

jjmcclos wrote:

That's fine. I am by no means a mobile expert either,  I have just learned which apps are the usual suspects are when dealing with this memory game.

As far as your recommendations...

1 - I have done so, and there are no signs that the game is holding the cache.  I do not regularly play any games - often going a week or more without using any auxiliary programs, and have had the phone go to "low memory" without having even made a phone call the previous day - let alone playing a game of any sort... If that is the case , something else is going on.

Yes, I agree entirely, which is why I am posting the problem....

2 - Internal memory (as identified in the "Internal Phone Storage") consists of 39.48mb at 10:30pm this evening.  "Task Manager" shows nothing running other than the "BrowserMessage" that I let run so that I can see if I received any emails.  Everything else is shut down.  And I do not use this to answer any of the emails.  While 39.48 mb is fairly low, I wouldn't think you should be getting messages at that point.  Then again your phone might have the minimum set differently.  Which Task Manager/Killer are you using?

I'm using the standard Task Manager that came with the phone...didn't want to use more space to download a different one until it looks like that might be of benefit.

2A - Given the fact that I am on the 200mb/month plan, I do NOTHING on the internet since I still don't know what will result in data-plan usage at times - browser is only opened accidentally, and I immediately shut it back down.  I only download/check stuff when I am on my wifi at home, so there is no real likelihood of internet issue here.  (And any browser apps that might be opened are closed shortly thereafter since I then go to the task manager and do so - and my present billing seems consistent with the ads/usage that I expect.)  Even if you shut down the browser, it can hold the cache in the memory.

Yes, I'm aware of that and try to check it regularly.  Since a typical web page is in the "KB" range normally, even if I were to have a few extras in a day, it still shouldn't use multiple tens of mb.  But, even if that did happen, it doesn't explain why I would have this problem when the browser wasn't even opened during the day.

3 - I have considered uninstalling even "Angry Birds" - but, realistically, if I am not finding that this is an issue for anyone else, then the problem lies elsewhere.  Even if not having it installed stops the "memory" problem on my phone but no one else experiences the problem with it loaded, then "Angry Birds" really is not the problem...

My presently installed programs that are in my control are:

Angry Birds - 16mb

Angry Birds Holidays -14mb

Darts - 1mb

Labyrinth Lite 800kb

Minesweeper Classic - 536kb

Missile Shield - 1mb

Text Edit - 200kb

Is this list the only apps you see in the manage applications?  If it is, while in the list, press menu > filter > show all.  Wait for the list to populate.  Then press menu > sort by size.  This will give you a list of both downloaded and pre-installed apps.  Let's what your top twenty app are and their sizes.  While you are in there, select each one and check for cache in each one.  Clear any cache you find and note the size change.  Also scroll down and look for the following apps and note their size:  email, dialer storage, maps, market and at&t nav.  These are the pre-installed apps that may be holding either cache or data.  We don't want to clear data for these apps, but lots of data storage could be dragging the memory down.

I checked my phone for data and cache, and none seemed unusual.  Despite what you suggested, I went ahead and deleted data where I thought I could safely do so - I normally use NONE of the above except the market, and I figured that it found it fine when I first bought the phone, so shouldn't pose a problem if there was no data available.  Looking at the data sizes of them all, I figure that I <might> have cleared another 2mb.  And the email is the largest single app at 20.34mb.

Uninstalling both Angry Birds app should get you up to about 65-70 mb free.  Otherwise the other apps you have listed don't pop out as been super large.  They do look like other games that could be holding on to some cache.  I checked some size of the apps on the market.  These app "should" be smaller, but that sometimes is deceiving since they unzip when they are installed.

Your assesment there is pretty close - that's about what I figured, too.  What worries me is that in the mornings after I restart, I often see 60-70mb free...and as the day progresses, sometimes doing nothing at all and receiving/making no calls, it will drop into the high 30's.  Come the next morning, it will no longer show me the amount, but simply say that the memory is low.  So I can't really track WHY the memory is low.

Darts - apps of mixed sizes available < 500 kb

Labyrinth Lite - 686 kb download

Minesweeper Classic - 270 or 500 kb download

Missile Shield - 690 kb download

For example I had two apps that were about 15 mb each and approx 15-20 other downloaded and I was averaging 50-60 mb of internal memory available.  At the moment I have them and others uninstalled so I am at 106 mb free of 160 mb of internal memory.

This is the part that I don't get - Even if I had nothing other than the stupid ATT/Motorola/Google stuff loaded - the majority of which I DO NOT WANT or NEED - I would still never even approach 106mb free - let alone an available 160mb internal.  Near as I can figure, the pre-loaded stuff on my phone is probably using over 400mb.

Totaling approx 34mb....out of 512mb in the phone?  And this is enough to give me low/out of memory errors?  I'll gladly move these to the SD card when Android 2.2 is available!...  :smileytongue: Not all of the 512 mb is available for the app.  Most of it is taken up by the OS system.  I think my phone had a total of 512 mb too, but as you can see above only 160 mb was available for installation of apps.

Agreed - my point is that if I can put my additional programs on the SD, then I don't have to worry about using up a precious 30-50mb in the phone, thus stopping the problem.

Thanks for the help - and please don't take my response as anything negative....I will try to track the patterns as you suggest, but wanted you to know that I have been doing so for an extended period of time already.

Mac.

Hope this helps with the trouble shooting.

Appreciate your help and insight, and am still open to ideas.  You gave some great suggestions - unfortunately, they just don't seem to be the one's that'll help me out.  As an FYI, right now my phone registers all of 15.5mb free - even though I haven't used any browsing.  I DID play some "Angry Birds" today, and I know that it hit some of the mobile ads while running, so it is certainly possible that those ads have something to do with it.  That's about all I did programatically, but I used the phone for approx 45 minutes throughout the day.

I guarantee that even though I could see that 15+ mb free tonight, I won't be able to see it in the morning....I might just have to start checking it hourly overnight to see when the drop occurs.

Again, many thanks for all of your efforts!

Mac.

Hi, Ann - I see that there are a few others expressing concern on this since I posted, so I don't feel quite as alone right now...and sorry about the delay in responding.

First question that I now have, though - how on earth did you manage to do an inline "quote and respond" reply to my posting?  I kept trying to do it to yours, but I can't figure out how in this forum.  I am a member of other ones where it isn't a problem, but this one doesn't seem to provide an automated method to do so.  Since you did so on my prior email, can you please let me know how?  I've resorted to "copy-paste" below, and hope that it comes through OK.

-------------------------------------------

jjmcclos wrote:

That's fine. I am by no means a mobile expert either,  I have just learned which apps are the usual suspects are when dealing with this memory game.

As far as your recommendations...

1 - I have done so, and there are no signs that the game is holding the cache.  I do not regularly play any games - often going a week or more without using any auxiliary programs, and have had the phone go to "low memory" without having even made a phone call the previous day - let alone playing a game of any sort... If that is the case , something else is going on.

Yes, I agree entirely, which is why I am posting the problem....

2 - Internal memory (as identified in the "Internal Phone Storage") consists of 39.48mb at 10:30pm this evening.  "Task Manager" shows nothing running other than the "BrowserMessage" that I let run so that I can see if I received any emails.  Everything else is shut down.  And I do not use this to answer any of the emails.  While 39.48 mb is fairly low, I wouldn't think you should be getting messages at that point.  Then again your phone might have the minimum set differently.  Which Task Manager/Killer are you using?

I'm using the standard Task Manager that came with the phone...didn't want to use more space to download a different one until it looks like that might be of benefit.

2A - Given the fact that I am on the 200mb/month plan, I do NOTHING on the internet since I still don't know what will result in data-plan usage at times - browser is only opened accidentally, and I immediately shut it back down.  I only download/check stuff when I am on my wifi at home, so there is no real likelihood of internet issue here.  (And any browser apps that might be opened are closed shortly thereafter since I then go to the task manager and do so - and my present billing seems consistent with the ads/usage that I expect.)  Even if you shut down the browser, it can hold the cache in the memory.

Yes, I'm aware of that and try to check it regularly.  Since a typical web page is in the "KB" range normally, even if I were to have a few extras in a day, it still shouldn't use multiple tens of mb.  But, even if that did happen, it doesn't explain why I would have this problem when the browser wasn't even opened during the day.

3 - I have considered uninstalling even "Angry Birds" - but, realistically, if I am not finding that this is an issue for anyone else, then the problem lies elsewhere.  Even if not having it installed stops the "memory" problem on my phone but no one else experiences the problem with it loaded, then "Angry Birds" really is not the problem...

My presently installed programs that are in my control are:

Angry Birds - 16mb

Angry Birds Holidays -14mb

Darts - 1mb

Labyrinth Lite 800kb

Minesweeper Classic - 536kb

Missile Shield - 1mb

Text Edit - 200kb

Is this list the only apps you see in the manage applications?  If it is, while in the list, press menu > filter > show all.  Wait for the list to populate.  Then press menu > sort by size.  This will give you a list of both downloaded and pre-installed apps.  Let's what your top twenty app are and their sizes.  While you are in there, select each one and check for cache in each one.  Clear any cache you find and note the size change.  Also scroll down and look for the following apps and note their size:  email, dialer storage, maps, market and at&t nav.  These are the pre-installed apps that may be holding either cache or data.  We don't want to clear data for these apps, but lots of data storage could be dragging the memory down.

I checked my phone for data and cache, and none seemed unusual.  Despite what you suggested, I went ahead and deleted data where I thought I could safely do so - I normally use NONE of the above except the market, and I figured that it found it fine when I first bought the phone, so shouldn't pose a problem if there was no data available.  Looking at the data sizes of them all, I figure that I <might> have cleared another 2mb.  And the email is the largest single app at 20.34mb.

Uninstalling both Angry Birds app should get you up to about 65-70 mb free.  Otherwise the other apps you have listed don't pop out as been super large.  They do look like other games that could be holding on to some cache.  I checked some size of the apps on the market.  These app "should" be smaller, but that sometimes is deceiving since they unzip when they are installed.

Your assesment there is pretty close - that's about what I figured, too.  What worries me is that in the mornings after I restart, I often see 60-70mb free...and as the day progresses, sometimes doing nothing at all and receiving/making no calls, it will drop into the high 30's.  Come the next morning, it will no longer show me the amount, but simply say that the memory is low.  So I can't really track WHY the memory is low.

Darts - apps of mixed sizes available < 500 kb

Labyrinth Lite - 686 kb download

Minesweeper Classic - 270 or 500 kb download

Missile Shield - 690 kb download

For example I had two apps that were about 15 mb each and approx 15-20 other downloaded and I was averaging 50-60 mb of internal memory available.  At the moment I have them and others uninstalled so I am at 106 mb free of 160 mb of internal memory.

This is the part that I don't get - Even if I had nothing other than the stupid ATT/Motorola/Google stuff loaded - the majority of which I DO NOT WANT or NEED - I would still never even approach 106mb free - let alone an available 160mb internal.  Near as I can figure, the pre-loaded stuff on my phone is probably using over 400mb.

Totaling approx 34mb....out of 512mb in the phone?  And this is enough to give me low/out of memory errors?  I'll gladly move these to the SD card when Android 2.2 is available!...  :smileytongue: Not all of the 512 mb is available for the app.  Most of it is taken up by the OS system.  I think my phone had a total of 512 mb too, but as you can see above only 160 mb was available for installation of apps.

Agreed - my point is that if I can put my additional programs on the SD, then I don't have to worry about using up a precious 30-50mb in the phone, thus stopping the problem.

Thanks for the help - and please don't take my response as anything negative....I will try to track the patterns as you suggest, but wanted you to know that I have been doing so for an extended period of time already.

Mac.

Appreciate your help and insight, and am still open to ideas.  You gave some great suggestions - unfortunately, they just don't seem to be the one's that'll help me out.  As an FYI, right now my phone registers all of 15.5mb free - even though I haven't used any browsing.  I DID play some "Angry Birds" today, and I know that it hit some of the mobile ads while running, so it is certainly possible that those ads have something to do with it.  That's about all I did programatically, but I used the phone for approx 45 minutes throughout the day.

I guarantee that even though I could see that 15+ mb free tonight, I won't be able to see it in the morning....I might just have to start checking it hourly overnight to see when the drop occurs.

Mac.

Re: Flipside Low Memory

31 of 57 (2,508 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2011 6:07:39 AM
(0)
Teacher

Next Morning Update - Surprisingly the phone is not giving the "Low Memory" warning...however, between the posting last night and right now, it has dropped to 9mb free.  That's with me not doing a darned thing other than hooking it to the charger.  I swear, at some point between about 1am and 6am EST, the thing has to be running something that gobbles up some memory....

If I can, I'll try to recheck all of the apps.  But since I've been up all night on other projects, I'm getting ready to turn in.  Will probably miss something looking at it now - a little bit "punch drunk", so to speak....Smiley Tongue

Next Morning Update - Surprisingly the phone is not giving the "Low Memory" warning...however, between the posting last night and right now, it has dropped to 9mb free.  That's with me not doing a darned thing other than hooking it to the charger.  I swear, at some point between about 1am and 6am EST, the thing has to be running something that gobbles up some memory....

If I can, I'll try to recheck all of the apps.  But since I've been up all night on other projects, I'm getting ready to turn in.  Will probably miss something looking at it now - a little bit "punch drunk", so to speak....Smiley Tongue

32 of 57 (2,480 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2011 6:15:24 AM
(0)
Teacher

Oh, and I should also add that WiFi is turned off....even though I have a router.  And BlueTooth is enabled, although I have also had it disabled for periods of well over a week and still received the low memory error pretty much every morning (I only have it enabled for my car, and only got that working about 3 weeks ago - definitely had the problem before then.  It doesn't seem to make much difference one way or the other, or tear up the battery life the way that WiFi does, so right now I just leave it on).

Mac

Oh, and I should also add that WiFi is turned off....even though I have a router.  And BlueTooth is enabled, although I have also had it disabled for periods of well over a week and still received the low memory error pretty much every morning (I only have it enabled for my car, and only got that working about 3 weeks ago - definitely had the problem before then.  It doesn't seem to make much difference one way or the other, or tear up the battery life the way that WiFi does, so right now I just leave it on).

Mac

33 of 57 (2,479 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2011 9:50:08 AM
(0)
Master

jjmcclos wrote:

I used the rich text reply box and hit the quote button.  Your text gets populated and I put the cursor where I want to start typing, change the color, Bold or Italics and away I go. Smiley Happy

I am not working from a Flipside so I am going to have to trust that the task manager you have installed is functioning to the best of its ability. 

Wow! 20+ mb for the email alone?  You mentioned you work in IT, right?  You must have a lot of emails come through your phone through the day.  How many email accounts are we talking about?  Are they set to delete from the phone and stay on the server? 

This has been my experience with using two hotmail/live accounts as a pop3 on the phone so you would have to apply the information as needed for your situation.  I currently have my email set up to not delete from the server whenever I delete from the phone.  While i don't get a ton of emails throughout the day many of them of newsletters or other emails that I don't need to open and look at every day.  Therefore I delete more emails then I actually read on my phone.  The email app itself on the phone starts out at about 1- 1.5 mb.  I have seen mine get up to close to 5 mb from what the app was storing on the phone.  In trying to discover how it was get to that size, I found out how the app was handling the deleted emails. Even though I had deleted the email from my inbox on the phone, it was still storing the email in the trash folder (all 300+ of them).  If I would look on the web or in my outlook program on my computer, those same emails were displayed in my inbox still waiting for me to open them.  Okay then so I started going through and deleting the emails in the trash folder on my phone.  BIG mistake!!!  When I deleted the emails, they would delete from the server and move the trash folder on the server.  I discovered this by checking the hotmail account from the web.  I ended up moving the emails that I knew I needed to either deal with back to my inbox and those I wanted to keep to different folder that doesn't sync on my phone.  Now when I clear out the trash folder on my phone, selective delete email I know I have no real interest in opening.  With this process I can keep my email app to a thin 2.5 mb and under.

I have also discovered removing and re-adding the email account reduces the app size as well.  Mostly because I only let it sync for a certain amount of days and then whatever emails I trash is limited to those days.  From that point the trash folder will kept collecting your trashed email, but nothing older than the first synced timeframe.  For example the email the added on Jan 14, 2010 and you set to sync 14 days worth of emails.  You then delete 30 out of 50 emails with the oldest one having been sent to you on Jan 3rd.  Now it is Nov 1, 2010 and you look in your trash folder on the phone and see it is telling you it has 99+ "marked new emails sitting there.  In reality there were closer to 500 stored there.  Your sync time is still set at that 14 day period.  You start to scroll through the trash folder looking the header for the emails stored there.  When you get to the button the list you will find the that email from Jan 3rd still there.  You might have even remember you had deleted that email from the server months ago since you didn't need it anymore.  Yet there it is. 

How all of this could apply for you is now the question. 

ATT/Motorola/Google stuff loaded - the majority of which I DO NOT WANT or NEED - I would still never even approach 106mb free - let alone an available 160mb internal.  Near as I can figure, the pre-loaded stuff on my phone is probably using over 400mb.

I feel you pain there about the "lovely" bloatware.  I recently arranged to remove most of the bloatware from my phone.  I am not sure, but I think when my phone was stock and had no apps installed and email not set up I may have had only 120 mb.  So when I remove the extra stuff I only gained about 40 mb to work with.  I am currently down to 95 mb free with some new app additions.  I tend to run a tight ship with what I allow on my phone.  Smiley Wink At the same time, I don't see the yo-yo swing you are seeing going from 60 mb free in the morning to 30, 20, 15 mb free later in the day.  The closest time i did see anywhere near that swing of memory changes is when I was using either the stock internet browser or a browser replacement that saved its cache to the phone memory.  I have since changed the browser replacement to save the cache to the sd card.  For both keeping the memory as open as possible and to prevent the android os from close my UI while I was browsing.  It was creating an unacceptable lag whenever I exited the web browser.  Much improved. Smiley Happy

With AT&T's record of providing updates to the OS, I hope this and the other AT&T phones get FroYo someday.  I knew my current phone was never going to get FroYo.  There was an official statement many months ago.  I sat on that fence a long time debating whether to go down that road and install Froyo (Android 2.2) myself.  It has been two weeks and while I don't regret it I did have some struggles with the custom ROM I chose.  So far I have actually not attempted to move any apps to the sd card.  It is more like I got a completely different phone and I am still learning where everything is.  If you want to consider this avenue, I would suggest checking out xda developers and androidcentral.  Some of XDA's members have done wonders with getting older android phones new life with ROMs and tweaks that the manufacturers decided would never work on those phones.  Heck, they have got Gingergread (Android 2.3) running in a stable manner on phones that were left at Eclair (Android 2.1) by the manufacturer and the cell carrier.  It does void the warranty for the phone, but you have to make that personal choice for yourself.

Mac.

Mac.

With the 15 mb free and then your latest update of down to 9 mb, I am wondering if you would be willing do a factory reset on your phone.  I know they can be a pain, but the same time it is a way to start off fresh.  If you had done one before coming here to post the first, I apologize.  Before resorting to a factory reset, if you are willing, let's have you uninstall as many of your downloaded applications as you can.  I would start with all the games and anything you can live without for a while.  With this pared down configuration, run for a day or two. See if you have the memory swing you are describing. Then using the install schedule I wrote below (I wrote that first and then the light bulb hit, idea!), install those apps again slowly.  If you can recreate the swing and/or the memory errors without most of the apps installed , then a factory reset could be necessary. 

With the factory reset, just make sure you backup your personal information like contacts (to gmail IMHO), text messages (there are apps for that can send to email or save to sd card, I like this one), etc and somewhere a list where your icons where and of your downloaded and installed apps.  Once reset, run the phone with just email, text messages restored (or not) and where you like your icons for stock apps.  See where your memory situation is at that point and if you can stand it run the phone that way for a least a day or two.  This way you can see if you still have that yo-yo swing in your memory available with that configuration.  If the swing is happening to the same extent (changing in that 30-40 mb range you seem to be experiencing) as before then you know it was not any of the apps you had downloaded.  Should the swing be not occuring, then there was a download app in the mix somewhere.  Then when you do decide to download your apps again start by downloading one at a time and even only one per day.  Run the app of the day as you normally use it and see if an bugs occur or if the memory swing returns.  This slow schedule for downloading app is why my phone with the current tweaks feels so new to me yet after two weeks.  I think only re-downloaded the last app today for my phone.  If this doesn't work, it almost leaves you with a hardware problem which means requesting a replacement or you can choose to break your warranty and pick a ROM with Froyo (or higher) and no bloatware.  Hope this adds to your knowledge to go forward.

Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy

jjmcclos wrote:

I used the rich text reply box and hit the quote button.  Your text gets populated and I put the cursor where I want to start typing, change the color, Bold or Italics and away I go. Smiley Happy

I am not working from a Flipside so I am going to have to trust that the task manager you have installed is functioning to the best of its ability. 

Wow! 20+ mb for the email alone?  You mentioned you work in IT, right?  You must have a lot of emails come through your phone through the day.  How many email accounts are we talking about?  Are they set to delete from the phone and stay on the server? 

This has been my experience with using two hotmail/live accounts as a pop3 on the phone so you would have to apply the information as needed for your situation.  I currently have my email set up to not delete from the server whenever I delete from the phone.  While i don't get a ton of emails throughout the day many of them of newsletters or other emails that I don't need to open and look at every day.  Therefore I delete more emails then I actually read on my phone.  The email app itself on the phone starts out at about 1- 1.5 mb.  I have seen mine get up to close to 5 mb from what the app was storing on the phone.  In trying to discover how it was get to that size, I found out how the app was handling the deleted emails. Even though I had deleted the email from my inbox on the phone, it was still storing the email in the trash folder (all 300+ of them).  If I would look on the web or in my outlook program on my computer, those same emails were displayed in my inbox still waiting for me to open them.  Okay then so I started going through and deleting the emails in the trash folder on my phone.  BIG mistake!!!  When I deleted the emails, they would delete from the server and move the trash folder on the server.  I discovered this by checking the hotmail account from the web.  I ended up moving the emails that I knew I needed to either deal with back to my inbox and those I wanted to keep to different folder that doesn't sync on my phone.  Now when I clear out the trash folder on my phone, selective delete email I know I have no real interest in opening.  With this process I can keep my email app to a thin 2.5 mb and under.

I have also discovered removing and re-adding the email account reduces the app size as well.  Mostly because I only let it sync for a certain amount of days and then whatever emails I trash is limited to those days.  From that point the trash folder will kept collecting your trashed email, but nothing older than the first synced timeframe.  For example the email the added on Jan 14, 2010 and you set to sync 14 days worth of emails.  You then delete 30 out of 50 emails with the oldest one having been sent to you on Jan 3rd.  Now it is Nov 1, 2010 and you look in your trash folder on the phone and see it is telling you it has 99+ "marked new emails sitting there.  In reality there were closer to 500 stored there.  Your sync time is still set at that 14 day period.  You start to scroll through the trash folder looking the header for the emails stored there.  When you get to the button the list you will find the that email from Jan 3rd still there.  You might have even remember you had deleted that email from the server months ago since you didn't need it anymore.  Yet there it is. 

How all of this could apply for you is now the question. 

ATT/Motorola/Google stuff loaded - the majority of which I DO NOT WANT or NEED - I would still never even approach 106mb free - let alone an available 160mb internal.  Near as I can figure, the pre-loaded stuff on my phone is probably using over 400mb.

I feel you pain there about the "lovely" bloatware.  I recently arranged to remove most of the bloatware from my phone.  I am not sure, but I think when my phone was stock and had no apps installed and email not set up I may have had only 120 mb.  So when I remove the extra stuff I only gained about 40 mb to work with.  I am currently down to 95 mb free with some new app additions.  I tend to run a tight ship with what I allow on my phone.  Smiley Wink At the same time, I don't see the yo-yo swing you are seeing going from 60 mb free in the morning to 30, 20, 15 mb free later in the day.  The closest time i did see anywhere near that swing of memory changes is when I was using either the stock internet browser or a browser replacement that saved its cache to the phone memory.  I have since changed the browser replacement to save the cache to the sd card.  For both keeping the memory as open as possible and to prevent the android os from close my UI while I was browsing.  It was creating an unacceptable lag whenever I exited the web browser.  Much improved. Smiley Happy

With AT&T's record of providing updates to the OS, I hope this and the other AT&T phones get FroYo someday.  I knew my current phone was never going to get FroYo.  There was an official statement many months ago.  I sat on that fence a long time debating whether to go down that road and install Froyo (Android 2.2) myself.  It has been two weeks and while I don't regret it I did have some struggles with the custom ROM I chose.  So far I have actually not attempted to move any apps to the sd card.  It is more like I got a completely different phone and I am still learning where everything is.  If you want to consider this avenue, I would suggest checking out xda developers and androidcentral.  Some of XDA's members have done wonders with getting older android phones new life with ROMs and tweaks that the manufacturers decided would never work on those phones.  Heck, they have got Gingergread (Android 2.3) running in a stable manner on phones that were left at Eclair (Android 2.1) by the manufacturer and the cell carrier.  It does void the warranty for the phone, but you have to make that personal choice for yourself.

Mac.

Mac.

With the 15 mb free and then your latest update of down to 9 mb, I am wondering if you would be willing do a factory reset on your phone.  I know they can be a pain, but the same time it is a way to start off fresh.  If you had done one before coming here to post the first, I apologize.  Before resorting to a factory reset, if you are willing, let's have you uninstall as many of your downloaded applications as you can.  I would start with all the games and anything you can live without for a while.  With this pared down configuration, run for a day or two. See if you have the memory swing you are describing. Then using the install schedule I wrote below (I wrote that first and then the light bulb hit, idea!), install those apps again slowly.  If you can recreate the swing and/or the memory errors without most of the apps installed , then a factory reset could be necessary. 

With the factory reset, just make sure you backup your personal information like contacts (to gmail IMHO), text messages (there are apps for that can send to email or save to sd card, I like this one), etc and somewhere a list where your icons where and of your downloaded and installed apps.  Once reset, run the phone with just email, text messages restored (or not) and where you like your icons for stock apps.  See where your memory situation is at that point and if you can stand it run the phone that way for a least a day or two.  This way you can see if you still have that yo-yo swing in your memory available with that configuration.  If the swing is happening to the same extent (changing in that 30-40 mb range you seem to be experiencing) as before then you know it was not any of the apps you had downloaded.  Should the swing be not occuring, then there was a download app in the mix somewhere.  Then when you do decide to download your apps again start by downloading one at a time and even only one per day.  Run the app of the day as you normally use it and see if an bugs occur or if the memory swing returns.  This slow schedule for downloading app is why my phone with the current tweaks feels so new to me yet after two weeks.  I think only re-downloaded the last app today for my phone.  If this doesn't work, it almost leaves you with a hardware problem which means requesting a replacement or you can choose to break your warranty and pick a ROM with Froyo (or higher) and no bloatware.  Hope this adds to your knowledge to go forward.

Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

34 of 57 (2,466 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2011 5:59:38 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by scoobydoo on Feb 16, 2011 at 6:47:32 PM

AAAAGHHHH!  Sorry, Ann, but I just spent 2 hours replying to this, only to have it not like the word "[word filter evasion]", so it tried to get me to reword....when I went "back", it wiped out all of my edits.  I'll try again over the next couple of days, but in a nutshell, most of your post makes perfect sense, but my work emails are not being sent to the device, memory usage sucks, and I've had the problems since before "Angry Birds"....

Really, the phone isn't a "smart phone" despite the marketing...it's got less usable memory after the "crapware" than some "feature phones" (including my previous flipphone, and the model that my wife presently has).  And the Android upgrade path here will probably stop me from going Motorola on my wife's "new phone" (and, likely, I'll end up going MS WP7...<shudder>...)

AAAAGHHHH!  Sorry, Ann, but I just spent 2 hours replying to this, only to have it not like the word "[word filter evasion]", so it tried to get me to reword....when I went "back", it wiped out all of my edits.  I'll try again over the next couple of days, but in a nutshell, most of your post makes perfect sense, but my work emails are not being sent to the device, memory usage sucks, and I've had the problems since before "Angry Birds"....

Really, the phone isn't a "smart phone" despite the marketing...it's got less usable memory after the "crapware" than some "feature phones" (including my previous flipphone, and the model that my wife presently has).  And the Android upgrade path here will probably stop me from going Motorola on my wife's "new phone" (and, likely, I'll end up going MS WP7...<shudder>...)

[ Edited ]
35 of 57 (2,340 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2011 7:56:35 PM
(0)
Teacher

Wow...even after the initial posting of the reply, it went back in and did the "evasion" thingy.  I'm thinking that I'm not gonna even try to post anymore, since apparently words that sound like "K R A P" (not what I posted, BTW) and ones that I've already forgotten (because they were just not that memorable) trigger some kinda tastelessness alert.

Frankly, if I had any misgivings prior to this about continuing with either ATT or Motorola, I think that this last situation has solved that problem.  I'm gonna be looking at other prospects now, with the hope that someone else now has coverage at our house.

Would consider it better if I didn't expect to be completely left bent over as far as upgrades go for the Flipside - but nothing that I've seen promises any likely upgrades....what a disapointment, and one that I'm unlikely to propogate.

Mac.

Wow...even after the initial posting of the reply, it went back in and did the "evasion" thingy.  I'm thinking that I'm not gonna even try to post anymore, since apparently words that sound like "K R A P" (not what I posted, BTW) and ones that I've already forgotten (because they were just not that memorable) trigger some kinda tastelessness alert.

Frankly, if I had any misgivings prior to this about continuing with either ATT or Motorola, I think that this last situation has solved that problem.  I'm gonna be looking at other prospects now, with the hope that someone else now has coverage at our house.

Would consider it better if I didn't expect to be completely left bent over as far as upgrades go for the Flipside - but nothing that I've seen promises any likely upgrades....what a disapointment, and one that I'm unlikely to propogate.

Mac.

36 of 57 (2,325 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2011 9:50:27 AM
(0)
Master
I am sorry I wasn't any more help to you. I do hope that you can find a resolution that both yourself and your wallet is happy with.

Good luck. Smiley Happy
I am sorry I wasn't any more help to you. I do hope that you can find a resolution that both yourself and your wallet is happy with.

Good luck. Smiley Happy

37 of 57 (2,301 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2011 4:57:46 PM
(0)
Teacher

Ann154 wrote:

Good luck. Smiley Happy

No, you have nothing to apologize for on that...you've pointed out a number of things, some of which I hadn't tried before since I am not very knowledgable on Android.  And I've learned a lot more on the variations of the versions that I didn't know before either, since I really just was looking at an upgrade to my phone.  Despite all of my research prior, I just didn't realize how much of the usable memory was going to be lost on this model to OS and proprietary junk, and that I would be so limited on the apps that I could probably use.  You hear a lot about the "market" or the "app store" availability in the general media, but you don't hear about the real limitations of the systems' memory except for the total memory available.  It's really still a major "shame on me" for not knowing that 2.1 wouldn't allow that memory to be used for apps.

Thanks for all of your help, and I'm sure that I'm gonna be back!

Mac.

Ann154 wrote:

Good luck. Smiley Happy

No, you have nothing to apologize for on that...you've pointed out a number of things, some of which I hadn't tried before since I am not very knowledgable on Android.  And I've learned a lot more on the variations of the versions that I didn't know before either, since I really just was looking at an upgrade to my phone.  Despite all of my research prior, I just didn't realize how much of the usable memory was going to be lost on this model to OS and proprietary junk, and that I would be so limited on the apps that I could probably use.  You hear a lot about the "market" or the "app store" availability in the general media, but you don't hear about the real limitations of the systems' memory except for the total memory available.  It's really still a major "shame on me" for not knowing that 2.1 wouldn't allow that memory to be used for apps.

Thanks for all of your help, and I'm sure that I'm gonna be back!

Mac.

38 of 57 (2,256 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2011 8:27:57 PM
(0)
Scholar

I read through all four pages of this thread with hopes of finding a cure for my wife's Flipside which is having this exact same issue. It sure is aggravating. She started getting the low memory warning within 24 hours of buying the phone, and has it happen every day. She doesn't have a lot installed, and we've cleared the cache and even uninstalled some things. She misses texts because of it. We are thinking of just taking the stupid thing back and getting her something different. The problem is, she wants an Android-based phone that is a slider.

I read through all four pages of this thread with hopes of finding a cure for my wife's Flipside which is having this exact same issue. It sure is aggravating. She started getting the low memory warning within 24 hours of buying the phone, and has it happen every day. She doesn't have a lot installed, and we've cleared the cache and even uninstalled some things. She misses texts because of it. We are thinking of just taking the stupid thing back and getting her something different. The problem is, she wants an Android-based phone that is a slider.

39 of 57 (2,041 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2011 9:25:13 PM
(0)
Master
Does anyone know the amount of internal memory is available on the Flipside at the moment you activate the phone? This would be after you have gone through the first setup, but before email accounts were loaded and I Market opened to download Apps.
Does anyone know the amount of internal memory is available on the Flipside at the moment you activate the phone? This would be after you have gone through the first setup, but before email accounts were loaded and I Market opened to download Apps.

40 of 57 (2,028 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2011 9:28:21 PM
(0)
Master
@kb
Within 24 hours... low memory warnings. Now that I would certainly take back to the store and if there are techs there have them look at the phone. That is just not right. Smiley Sad
@kb
Within 24 hours... low memory warnings. Now that I would certainly take back to the store and if there are techs there have them look at the phone. That is just not right. Smiley Sad

41 of 57 (1,834 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2011 2:12:21 PM
(0)
Tutor

Just thought I'd chime in and say I don't think any of the suggestions here are going to help much.  I'm an IT manager currently supporting roughly 15 Flipsides.  We got them because they're the only Android slider AT&T offers and we're contractually bound to AT&T.

No additional apps are installed and only corporate e-mail is configured on the majority of them.  Every single one of our flipsides will get this memory error on a fairly regular basis

A reboot will fix it for a while, but it will happen again.  It is very frustrating to our users but I don't think a solution is coming unless 2.2 is made available.

Just thought I'd chime in and say I don't think any of the suggestions here are going to help much.  I'm an IT manager currently supporting roughly 15 Flipsides.  We got them because they're the only Android slider AT&T offers and we're contractually bound to AT&T.

No additional apps are installed and only corporate e-mail is configured on the majority of them.  Every single one of our flipsides will get this memory error on a fairly regular basis

A reboot will fix it for a while, but it will happen again.  It is very frustrating to our users but I don't think a solution is coming unless 2.2 is made available.

42 of 57 (1,730 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2011 7:09:19 PM
(0)
Teacher

I have been reading through the posts and I too am still having the low memory issues along with a few others.  Is there any recourse to get a different phone?  I normally prefer Motorola phones.  The battery life is not that great and when trying to hang up a call it takes longer than it should to get it to end call.

I have been reading through the posts and I too am still having the low memory issues along with a few others.  Is there any recourse to get a different phone?  I normally prefer Motorola phones.  The battery life is not that great and when trying to hang up a call it takes longer than it should to get it to end call.

43 of 57 (1,670 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2011 6:53:01 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by SPeter on Apr 3, 2011 at 6:55:01 AM

After doing some research, it's quite obvious there's a really bad memory leak on this phone.  Someone on the Android Forums with a rooted Flipside thinks they discovered the problematic file, though he doesn't know which application on the phone uses it.  He locked that file without any apparent ill effects.  Unfortunately, I'm not willing to root my phone and this will just have to be the Widows Vista of Android Phones.  Either Motorola or Android needs to release a fix or patch to solve this problem.   Rooting or factory resets are not solutions.

After doing some research, it's quite obvious there's a really bad memory leak on this phone.  Someone on the Android Forums with a rooted Flipside thinks they discovered the problematic file, though he doesn't know which application on the phone uses it.  He locked that file without any apparent ill effects.  Unfortunately, I'm not willing to root my phone and this will just have to be the Widows Vista of Android Phones.  Either Motorola or Android needs to release a fix or patch to solve this problem.   Rooting or factory resets are not solutions.

[ Edited ]
44 of 57 (1,601 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2011 4:55:05 PM
(0)
Teacher

Yes, I'm afraid that I'm with you, there - from what I had read, I thought that Android 1.5 was the Vista equivalent, but I now think that this was just the betas!  A- 2.2 was the true Win7 equal, so the A-2.1 seems to me to be closer to the SP'd Vista's - nice, but not quite there...

I'm going to try to follow up on that memory leak, 'cause it sure seems that this phone specifically has a real problem here.  And the shame of it all is that I think that a 2.2 upgrade would probably solve it, but isn't going to be released by Motorola.  I think that they really feel that this was just a "hook-'ya" phone, but in my case all it seems to be is a "no Motorola for next phone"....

Yes, I'm afraid that I'm with you, there - from what I had read, I thought that Android 1.5 was the Vista equivalent, but I now think that this was just the betas!  A- 2.2 was the true Win7 equal, so the A-2.1 seems to me to be closer to the SP'd Vista's - nice, but not quite there...

I'm going to try to follow up on that memory leak, 'cause it sure seems that this phone specifically has a real problem here.  And the shame of it all is that I think that a 2.2 upgrade would probably solve it, but isn't going to be released by Motorola.  I think that they really feel that this was just a "hook-'ya" phone, but in my case all it seems to be is a "no Motorola for next phone"....

45 of 57 (1,511 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2011 6:32:03 PM
(0)
Teacher

@Ann

This is in answer to your question about a month ago about the memory available directly after activation...while I don't know what it really is, I can say that tonight I did a factory reset on the system based on some other Motorola info that I received, and I presently have 112 mb free.  This is immediately after the reboot of the phone and reactivation of my work email (since it is contained in my MotoBlur), but with NO other apps installed.  This is a bit less than the 160mb that you mentioned in an earlier email, but I will be OK with it if I don't end up with a memory leak - particularly if I can eventually install all of 40mb of apps...YIPEE! <GRIN>

So, I find that the factory settings seem to take about 70% of the usable space - and I really have to hand it to the folks with the "inferior" Backflips - I have no idea how so many folks with only 256mb to start with and Android 1.5 have done so well from what I gather.Smiley Surprised

@Ann

This is in answer to your question about a month ago about the memory available directly after activation...while I don't know what it really is, I can say that tonight I did a factory reset on the system based on some other Motorola info that I received, and I presently have 112 mb free.  This is immediately after the reboot of the phone and reactivation of my work email (since it is contained in my MotoBlur), but with NO other apps installed.  This is a bit less than the 160mb that you mentioned in an earlier email, but I will be OK with it if I don't end up with a memory leak - particularly if I can eventually install all of 40mb of apps...YIPEE! <GRIN>

So, I find that the factory settings seem to take about 70% of the usable space - and I really have to hand it to the folks with the "inferior" Backflips - I have no idea how so many folks with only 256mb to start with and Android 1.5 have done so well from what I gather.Smiley Surprised

46 of 57 (1,504 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2011 7:07:39 PM
(0)
Master
Wow starting off with only 112 mb free. One has to be very picky with the applications they install.

I have read a little bit about the memory leak. I hope the developers have plug that hole should there be one.

Good luck going forward. Smiley Wink
Wow starting off with only 112 mb free. One has to be very picky with the applications they install.

I have read a little bit about the memory leak. I hope the developers have plug that hole should there be one.

Good luck going forward. Smiley Wink

47 of 57 (1,501 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2011 7:27:35 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks, Anne - for the first time that I recall, I have been stable (at 47mb free for almost two whole days) with more apps installed than I had before.  I'm certainly not calling this a solution quite yet, but it is definitely pretty promising since I've had the thing drop many mb overnight prior.  We'll see how it goes, and will give you an update next week as I can...

And, yes - I do still think that the phone should have a boatload more available memory overall...but if it "stops the leak", I'll be happy...and, as a decent side note, I think that my battery is lasting better, too.  Normal usage on a given day puts me below 50%, but the last two days haven't dropped below 70%.  Again, we'll see how it goes.

Mac

Thanks, Anne - for the first time that I recall, I have been stable (at 47mb free for almost two whole days) with more apps installed than I had before.  I'm certainly not calling this a solution quite yet, but it is definitely pretty promising since I've had the thing drop many mb overnight prior.  We'll see how it goes, and will give you an update next week as I can...

And, yes - I do still think that the phone should have a boatload more available memory overall...but if it "stops the leak", I'll be happy...and, as a decent side note, I think that my battery is lasting better, too.  Normal usage on a given day puts me below 50%, but the last two days haven't dropped below 70%.  Again, we'll see how it goes.

Mac

48 of 57 (1,481 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2011 3:17:17 AM
(0)
Employee
Edited by Craig D on Apr 24, 2011 at 3:45:30 AM

Reply to SPeter

What is the name of the 'problematic file' thought to be causing memory leaks? (Dare I hope there is just one?) On which forum was the file mentioned -- there are at least three 'Android Forums' sites. The date and name of the poster who identified the file would help, too.

Waiting for Motorola to a.) do a major patch to an OS release they already consider 'old' or b.) take the blame for a problem most likely caused by some 3rd party is a non-starter. The fix will probably have to come from user / developers and the fix will likely require rooting. Rooting -- if done according to instructions -- will not only not brick your phone, but allow installation of some really useful apps. It will also allow you to get rid of some really useless apps that come with the phone.

As for 'Android', you mean Google. Google knows 2.1 has problems, but instead of doing the stand-up thing by admitting the problems and offering a patch to users who can't upgrade their ROM, they rushed a new Android release to market. Meanwhile, Motorola, instead of developing their own patch or pressuring Google to support phones already in the field that "can't" be upgraded, saw an opportunity to force people to 'upgrade' their phones. Problem: 2.2 also has memory problems.

When RAM is a mere 512M (and most of that is taken up by system stuff), allowing full access to the SD card -- and user access to the OS -- is a no-brainer. So in Android 2.1, we have a leaky OS that loses RAM, eats battery capacity and allows the user no easy way to work around these problems. Flawed OS + no patch + no interest in supporting the product = unhappy customers. Listening, Motorola, Google and carriers?

I would hate to see Google and Motorola become the next Palm (I ditched them when they failed -- again -- to deliver on something as basic as voice command over BT), but present trends are not encouraging.

Reply to SPeter

What is the name of the 'problematic file' thought to be causing memory leaks? (Dare I hope there is just one?) On which forum was the file mentioned -- there are at least three 'Android Forums' sites. The date and name of the poster who identified the file would help, too.

Waiting for Motorola to a.) do a major patch to an OS release they already consider 'old' or b.) take the blame for a problem most likely caused by some 3rd party is a non-starter. The fix will probably have to come from user / developers and the fix will likely require rooting. Rooting -- if done according to instructions -- will not only not brick your phone, but allow installation of some really useful apps. It will also allow you to get rid of some really useless apps that come with the phone.

As for 'Android', you mean Google. Google knows 2.1 has problems, but instead of doing the stand-up thing by admitting the problems and offering a patch to users who can't upgrade their ROM, they rushed a new Android release to market. Meanwhile, Motorola, instead of developing their own patch or pressuring Google to support phones already in the field that "can't" be upgraded, saw an opportunity to force people to 'upgrade' their phones. Problem: 2.2 also has memory problems.

When RAM is a mere 512M (and most of that is taken up by system stuff), allowing full access to the SD card -- and user access to the OS -- is a no-brainer. So in Android 2.1, we have a leaky OS that loses RAM, eats battery capacity and allows the user no easy way to work around these problems. Flawed OS + no patch + no interest in supporting the product = unhappy customers. Listening, Motorola, Google and carriers?

I would hate to see Google and Motorola become the next Palm (I ditched them when they failed -- again -- to deliver on something as basic as voice command over BT), but present trends are not encouraging.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
49 of 57 (1,413 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2011 6:55:15 PM
(0)
Teacher

Hey, all - in my case the factory reset seems to really have worked.  I have more apps on the phone than I originally had and I've been stable with memory at 47mb left since my last posting...have not received a single "low memory" error since I did the reset, and have not had to reboot the phone.  And also have only had the battery go to under 15% once since then, and that's at a facility that has pretty poor signal.  All in all, I would have to recommend the reset if you have a situation such as mine - but, as is often stated - your mileage may vary.

Still wish that they would release 2.2 for it, though...<sigh>

Mac.

Hey, all - in my case the factory reset seems to really have worked.  I have more apps on the phone than I originally had and I've been stable with memory at 47mb left since my last posting...have not received a single "low memory" error since I did the reset, and have not had to reboot the phone.  And also have only had the battery go to under 15% once since then, and that's at a facility that has pretty poor signal.  All in all, I would have to recommend the reset if you have a situation such as mine - but, as is often stated - your mileage may vary.

Still wish that they would release 2.2 for it, though...<sigh>

Mac.

50 of 57 (1,402 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2011 6:59:38 PM
(0)
Master
Glad to hear, jjmcclos, that you have found a stable usage point with your phone.
Glad to hear, jjmcclos, that you have found a stable usage point with your phone.

51 of 57 (1,497 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2011 8:51:07 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have had this phone for almost 4 months and started having problems right after my 30 days were up. I have not one app loaded to the phone that did not come on it. I removed my email and facebook. I still get the warning that phone storage space is getting low. I miss text messages, and phone calls. I am to the point I just want to see how good the phone will bounce when I throw it on the pavment. My husband and brother is doing chemo currently, and my father in law has had surgery for throat and colon cancer and I need to be able to get any and all messages I get. I dont know what to do. I have read the posts and see nothing that I could do. Any help would be appreciated. I really want to just leave at&t but cannot afford to at this time.

I have had this phone for almost 4 months and started having problems right after my 30 days were up. I have not one app loaded to the phone that did not come on it. I removed my email and facebook. I still get the warning that phone storage space is getting low. I miss text messages, and phone calls. I am to the point I just want to see how good the phone will bounce when I throw it on the pavment. My husband and brother is doing chemo currently, and my father in law has had surgery for throat and colon cancer and I need to be able to get any and all messages I get. I dont know what to do. I have read the posts and see nothing that I could do. Any help would be appreciated. I really want to just leave at&t but cannot afford to at this time.

52 of 57 (1,183 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2011 3:58:09 AM
(0)
Master
@andy94
Have you completed a factory reset and seen if that helps?
@andy94
Have you completed a factory reset and seen if that helps?

53 of 57 (1,173 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2011 5:11:56 PM
(0)
Scholar

So am I understanding correctly that all apps install into the interal 512 MB of memory?  So basically I'm left to install/uninstall constantly because the OS and the AT&T bloat is using most of that 512 MB?  So I added a 32 GB SDHC for storing pictures and music only?  There is NO WAY to store apps on the SDHC?

Am I also correct that this is the fault of Android for segmenting the internal RAM from the SDHC?  Is this something that could/would/should be fixed by a newer Android version?  And is there any chance Motorola would upgrade it anyway?  Or am I basically forever screwed?

And why is *this* kinda crap NEVER covered in any reviews where everybody drools over the cool features??

So am I understanding correctly that all apps install into the interal 512 MB of memory?  So basically I'm left to install/uninstall constantly because the OS and the AT&T bloat is using most of that 512 MB?  So I added a 32 GB SDHC for storing pictures and music only?  There is NO WAY to store apps on the SDHC?

Am I also correct that this is the fault of Android for segmenting the internal RAM from the SDHC?  Is this something that could/would/should be fixed by a newer Android version?  And is there any chance Motorola would upgrade it anyway?  Or am I basically forever screwed?

And why is *this* kinda crap NEVER covered in any reviews where everybody drools over the cool features??

54 of 57 (1,086 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2011 2:34:30 PM
(0)
Master
I'm in shock! There is a FroYo update to the Motorola Flipside. With this update, applications can now be installed on the sd card.

http://m.androidcentral.com/motorola-flipside-receives-android-22-update
I'm in shock! There is a FroYo update to the Motorola Flipside. With this update, applications can now be installed on the sd card.

http://m.androidcentral.com/motorola-flipside-receives-android-22-update

55 of 57 (959 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2011 1:24:13 PM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by Dougoh on Aug 29, 2011 at 1:45:29 PM

Am having all these same low memory problems as well.

Went through and cleared the cache and data and changed my internal memory from uner 10 mb. to around 20-30 mb, if I recall correctly. Now, it's back down to 10 mb.

As I have the Android 2.2 system, thought I could transer some apps. to the SD card, so purchased 14.7 GB memory.

However, the phone lets me transfer only a few apps.

Any way to move more apps to the memory card?

On apps, which ones are really necessary?

I see I have these:

-Calendar service,  176kb

-Calendar storage, 236kb

-Calendar sync adapter, 232kb

-certidicate installer, 40kb

-certificate mgr. 64kb

-certificate manager content, 168kb

:

-contacts, 844kb

-contacts storage, 11 MB

-contacts sync, 192kb

-contacts synch adapter, 266kb

-contacts data, 80kb

-contacts Unconnected, 28kb

-Firefox, 288kb

-Browser, 6MB

Three IMs...

-IM

-IM presence

-ImOfflineService

Many, many other pre-installed apps... so don't know which ones I really need.

I do use

-Firefox,

-Facebook

-Yahoo

-Google search

-Tapatalk,

-TripAdvisor,

-Gmail

-Corporate email

I read how I can transfer contacts to Google GMAIL, then clear contacts and add in only the ones I need.

How is that done?

Will that free up some space?

Thanks in advance.

EDITE IN:

I see Adobe Flash Player 10.1 is 11 MB.

Is that necessary?

Could I uninstall then reinstall if I miss it?

Went through and cleared the cache and data and changed my internal memory from uner 10 mb. to around 20-30 mb, if I recall correctly. Now, it's back down to 10 mb.

As I have the Android 2.2 system, thought I could transer some apps. to the SD card, so purchased 14.7 GB memory.

However, the phone lets me transfer only a few apps.

Any way to move more apps to the memory card?

On apps, which ones are really necessary?

I see I have these:

-Calendar service,  176kb

-Calendar storage, 236kb

-Calendar sync adapter, 232kb

-certidicate installer, 40kb

-certificate mgr. 64kb

-certificate manager content, 168kb

:

-contacts, 844kb

-contacts storage, 11 MB

-contacts sync, 192kb

-contacts data, 80kb

-Firefox, 288kb

-Browser, 6MB

Three IMs...

-IM

-IM presence

-ImOfflineService

Many, many other pre-installed apps... so don't know which ones I really need.

I do use

-Firefox,

-Facebook

-Yahoo

-Google search

-Tapatalk,

-TripAdvisor,

-Gmail

-Corporate email

I read how I can transfer contacts to Google GMAIL, then clear contacts and add in only the ones I need.

How is that done?

Will that free up some space?

Thanks in advance.

EDITE IN:

I see Adobe Flash Player 10.1 is 11 MB.

Is that necessary?

Could I uninstall then reinstall if I miss it?

[ Edited ]
56 of 57 (904 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2011 8:32:03 PM
(0)
Master

Dougoh wrote:

~snip~

:

-contacts, 844kb

-contacts storage, 11 MB  This is a little large.  But I notice you are using exchange so that might affect it.  Are your contacts saved only on the phone or are they synced through either Google or Exchange?

-contacts sync, 192kb

-contacts data, 80kb

-Firefox, 288kb

-Browser, 6MB Somewhat large.  Have you clear the cookie, history, and form data from here?  My browser is currently at 7 MB

Three IMs...

-IM

-IM presence

-ImOfflineService  I think these are tied together or dependant on each other.

Many, many other pre-installed apps... so don't know which ones I really need.  You can't un-install the pre-installed applications, Sorry.

I do use

-Firefox,

-Facebook

-Yahoo

-Google search

-Tapatalk,

-TripAdvisor,

-Gmail

-Corporate email

How is that done?  Open your contacts application and then press menu.  Is there an option for import/export?  You may have to look under a "more" option to find it.  Select the export option and follow the prompt to save a vcf or csv file of contacts to your SD card.  The file type would depend on what your phone supports.  

Now you need to get that vcf file off the SD card.  One of the easier way is to turn off the phone and take the battery cover and remove the SD card.  Now insert the SD card into a card reader on your computer.  Using your computer's file explorer, locate the VCF file (should be on the root directory of the SD card) copy the VCF file to a location on the computer.  

Using your preferred internet browser on the computer, log into your GMail account.  From the Gmail page, select Contacts on the left side of the screen.  In the contact view, click on the "More" button and then select "Import".  Click on the "Choose File" button and navigate to the location where you save the vcf file, select it and click on "Open".  Back in the Import dialog, follow  the prompts to Import the contacts.

Will that free up some space? Possibly

Thanks in advance.

EDITE IN:

I see Adobe Flash Player 10.1 is 11 MB.  Is the Motorola Flipside even compatible with the Flash app.  I don't recall if the Flipside had an ARM7 processor to meet the requirements.

Is that necessary?  For some website to display properly, it is needed.

Could I uninstall then reinstall if I miss it?  Yes

Developers have the write the code in for the an application to install or be stored on the SD card.  If the app doesn't have the option when you look under Menu button > settings > applications > manage applications > Downloaded > checking each downloaded application.  The button "Move to SD Card" will be white and not gray.

Check the following two applications for size.  Post back if either of these are larger than 1 MB for addtional instructions.

Dialer Storage

Email

You mention you have corporate email on this phone.  Is through the stock email application or an addtional app like Touchdown or K9, etc?  Perhaps you can change your email delivery to a smaller format, but that option would be determined by what your needs are.

Dougoh wrote:

~snip~

:

-contacts, 844kb

-contacts storage, 11 MB  This is a little large.  But I notice you are using exchange so that might affect it.  Are your contacts saved only on the phone or are they synced through either Google or Exchange?

-contacts sync, 192kb

-contacts data, 80kb

-Firefox, 288kb

-Browser, 6MB Somewhat large.  Have you clear the cookie, history, and form data from here?  My browser is currently at 7 MB

Three IMs...

-IM

-IM presence

-ImOfflineService  I think these are tied together or dependant on each other.

Many, many other pre-installed apps... so don't know which ones I really need.  You can't un-install the pre-installed applications, Sorry.

I do use

-Firefox,

-Facebook

-Yahoo

-Google search

-Tapatalk,

-TripAdvisor,

-Gmail

-Corporate email

How is that done?  Open your contacts application and then press menu.  Is there an option for import/export?  You may have to look under a "more" option to find it.  Select the export option and follow the prompt to save a vcf or csv file of contacts to your SD card.  The file type would depend on what your phone supports.  

Now you need to get that vcf file off the SD card.  One of the easier way is to turn off the phone and take the battery cover and remove the SD card.  Now insert the SD card into a card reader on your computer.  Using your computer's file explorer, locate the VCF file (should be on the root directory of the SD card) copy the VCF file to a location on the computer.  

Using your preferred internet browser on the computer, log into your GMail account.  From the Gmail page, select Contacts on the left side of the screen.  In the contact view, click on the "More" button and then select "Import".  Click on the "Choose File" button and navigate to the location where you save the vcf file, select it and click on "Open".  Back in the Import dialog, follow  the prompts to Import the contacts.

Will that free up some space? Possibly

Thanks in advance.

EDITE IN:

I see Adobe Flash Player 10.1 is 11 MB.  Is the Motorola Flipside even compatible with the Flash app.  I don't recall if the Flipside had an ARM7 processor to meet the requirements.

Is that necessary?  For some website to display properly, it is needed.

Could I uninstall then reinstall if I miss it?  Yes

Developers have the write the code in for the an application to install or be stored on the SD card.  If the app doesn't have the option when you look under Menu button > settings > applications > manage applications > Downloaded > checking each downloaded application.  The button "Move to SD Card" will be white and not gray.

Check the following two applications for size.  Post back if either of these are larger than 1 MB for addtional instructions.

Dialer Storage

Email

You mention you have corporate email on this phone.  Is through the stock email application or an addtional app like Touchdown or K9, etc?  Perhaps you can change your email delivery to a smaller format, but that option would be determined by what your needs are.

57 of 57 (858 Views)