Flipside Low Memory

Contributor

Flipside Low Memory

I keep getting a low memory on the Moto Flipside did the upgrade and reset??

Need Help????!!!?!?!?!

Message 1 of 57 (7,176 Views)
Teacher

Re: Flipside Low Memory

@Ann

This is in answer to your question about a month ago about the memory available directly after activation...while I don't know what it really is, I can say that tonight I did a factory reset on the system based on some other Motorola info that I received, and I presently have 112 mb free.  This is immediately after the reboot of the phone and reactivation of my work email (since it is contained in my MotoBlur), but with NO other apps installed.  This is a bit less than the 160mb that you mentioned in an earlier email, but I will be OK with it if I don't end up with a memory leak - particularly if I can eventually install all of 40mb of apps...YIPEE! <GRIN>

So, I find that the factory settings seem to take about 70% of the usable space - and I really have to hand it to the folks with the "inferior" Backflips - I have no idea how so many folks with only 256mb to start with and Android 1.5 have done so well from what I gather.Smiley Surprised

Message 46 of 57 (1,882 Views)
Master

Wow starting off with only 112 mb free. One has to be very picky with the applications they install.

I have read a little bit about the memory leak. I hope the developers have plug that hole should there be one.

Good luck going forward. Smiley Wink
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 47 of 57 (1,879 Views)
Teacher

Thanks, Anne - for the first time that I recall, I have been stable (at 47mb free for almost two whole days) with more apps installed than I had before.  I'm certainly not calling this a solution quite yet, but it is definitely pretty promising since I've had the thing drop many mb overnight prior.  We'll see how it goes, and will give you an update next week as I can...

And, yes - I do still think that the phone should have a boatload more available memory overall...but if it "stops the leak", I'll be happy...and, as a decent side note, I think that my battery is lasting better, too.  Normal usage on a given day puts me below 50%, but the last two days haven't dropped below 70%.  Again, we'll see how it goes.

Mac

Message 48 of 57 (1,859 Views)
Employee

[ Edited ]

Reply to SPeter

What is the name of the 'problematic file' thought to be causing memory leaks? (Dare I hope there is just one?) On which forum was the file mentioned -- there are at least three 'Android Forums' sites. The date and name of the poster who identified the file would help, too.

Waiting for Motorola to a.) do a major patch to an OS release they already consider 'old' or b.) take the blame for a problem most likely caused by some 3rd party is a non-starter. The fix will probably have to come from user / developers and the fix will likely require rooting. Rooting -- if done according to instructions -- will not only not brick your phone, but allow installation of some really useful apps. It will also allow you to get rid of some really useless apps that come with the phone.

As for 'Android', you mean Google. Google knows 2.1 has problems, but instead of doing the stand-up thing by admitting the problems and offering a patch to users who can't upgrade their ROM, they rushed a new Android release to market. Meanwhile, Motorola, instead of developing their own patch or pressuring Google to support phones already in the field that "can't" be upgraded, saw an opportunity to force people to 'upgrade' their phones. Problem: 2.2 also has memory problems.

When RAM is a mere 512M (and most of that is taken up by system stuff), allowing full access to the SD card -- and user access to the OS -- is a no-brainer. So in Android 2.1, we have a leaky OS that loses RAM, eats battery capacity and allows the user no easy way to work around these problems. Flawed OS + no patch + no interest in supporting the product = unhappy customers. Listening, Motorola, Google and carriers?

I would hate to see Google and Motorola become the next Palm (I ditched them when they failed -- again -- to deliver on something as basic as voice command over BT), but present trends are not encouraging.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 49 of 57 (1,791 Views)
Teacher

Hey, all - in my case the factory reset seems to really have worked.  I have more apps on the phone than I originally had and I've been stable with memory at 47mb left since my last posting...have not received a single "low memory" error since I did the reset, and have not had to reboot the phone.  And also have only had the battery go to under 15% once since then, and that's at a facility that has pretty poor signal.  All in all, I would have to recommend the reset if you have a situation such as mine - but, as is often stated - your mileage may vary.

Still wish that they would release 2.2 for it, though...<sigh>

Mac.

Message 50 of 57 (1,780 Views)
Master

Glad to hear, jjmcclos, that you have found a stable usage point with your phone.
Message 51 of 57 (1,875 Views)
Contributor

I have had this phone for almost 4 months and started having problems right after my 30 days were up. I have not one app loaded to the phone that did not come on it. I removed my email and facebook. I still get the warning that phone storage space is getting low. I miss text messages, and phone calls. I am to the point I just want to see how good the phone will bounce when I throw it on the pavment. My husband and brother is doing chemo currently, and my father in law has had surgery for throat and colon cancer and I need to be able to get any and all messages I get. I dont know what to do. I have read the posts and see nothing that I could do. Any help would be appreciated. I really want to just leave at&t but cannot afford to at this time.

Message 52 of 57 (1,561 Views)
Master

@andy94
Have you completed a factory reset and seen if that helps?
Message 53 of 57 (1,551 Views)
Scholar

So am I understanding correctly that all apps install into the interal 512 MB of memory?  So basically I'm left to install/uninstall constantly because the OS and the AT&T bloat is using most of that 512 MB?  So I added a 32 GB SDHC for storing pictures and music only?  There is NO WAY to store apps on the SDHC?

Am I also correct that this is the fault of Android for segmenting the internal RAM from the SDHC?  Is this something that could/would/should be fixed by a newer Android version?  And is there any chance Motorola would upgrade it anyway?  Or am I basically forever screwed?

And why is *this* kinda crap NEVER covered in any reviews where everybody drools over the cool features??

Message 54 of 57 (1,464 Views)
Master

I'm in shock! There is a FroYo update to the Motorola Flipside. With this update, applications can now be installed on the sd card.

http://m.androidcentral.com/motorola-flipside-receives-android-22-update
Message 55 of 57 (1,337 Views)
Voyager

[ Edited ]

Am having all these same low memory problems as well.

Went through and cleared the cache and data and changed my internal memory from uner 10 mb. to around 20-30 mb, if I recall correctly. Now, it's back down to 10 mb.

As I have the Android 2.2 system, thought I could transer some apps. to the SD card, so purchased 14.7 GB memory.

However, the phone lets me transfer only a few apps.

Any way to move more apps to the memory card?

On apps, which ones are really necessary?

I see I have these:

-Calendar service,  176kb

-Calendar storage, 236kb

-Calendar sync adapter, 232kb

-certidicate installer, 40kb

-certificate mgr. 64kb

-certificate manager content, 168kb

:

-contacts, 844kb

-contacts storage, 11 MB

-contacts sync, 192kb

-contacts synch adapter, 266kb

-contacts data, 80kb

-contacts Unconnected, 28kb

-Firefox, 288kb

-Browser, 6MB

Three IMs...

-IM

-IM presence

-ImOfflineService

Many, many other pre-installed apps... so don't know which ones I really need.

I do use

-Firefox,

-Facebook

-Yahoo

-Google search

-Tapatalk,

-TripAdvisor,

-Gmail

-Corporate email

I read how I can transfer contacts to Google GMAIL, then clear contacts and add in only the ones I need.

How is that done?

Will that free up some space?

Thanks in advance.

EDITE IN:

I see Adobe Flash Player 10.1 is 11 MB.

Is that necessary?

Could I uninstall then reinstall if I miss it?

Message 56 of 57 (1,282 Views)
Highlighted
Master

Dougoh wrote:

Am having all these same low memory problems as well.

~snip~

:

-contacts, 844kb

-contacts storage, 11 MB  This is a little large.  But I notice you are using exchange so that might affect it.  Are your contacts saved only on the phone or are they synced through either Google or Exchange?

-contacts sync, 192kb

-contacts synch adapter, 266kb

-contacts data, 80kb

-contacts Unconnected, 28kb

-Firefox, 288kb

-Browser, 6MB Somewhat large.  Have you clear the cookie, history, and form data from here?  My browser is currently at 7 MB

Three IMs...

-IM

-IM presence

-ImOfflineService  I think these are tied together or dependant on each other.

Many, many other pre-installed apps... so don't know which ones I really need.  You can't un-install the pre-installed applications, Sorry.

I do use

-Firefox,

-Facebook

-Yahoo

-Google search

-Tapatalk,

-TripAdvisor,

-Gmail

-Corporate email

I read how I can transfer contacts to Google GMAIL, then clear contacts and add in only the ones I need.

How is that done?  Open your contacts application and then press menu.  Is there an option for import/export?  You may have to look under a "more" option to find it.  Select the export option and follow the prompt to save a vcf or csv file of contacts to your SD card.  The file type would depend on what your phone supports.  

Now you need to get that vcf file off the SD card.  One of the easier way is to turn off the phone and take the battery cover and remove the SD card.  Now insert the SD card into a card reader on your computer.  Using your computer's file explorer, locate the VCF file (should be on the root directory of the SD card) copy the VCF file to a location on the computer.  

Using your preferred internet browser on the computer, log into your GMail account.  From the Gmail page, select Contacts on the left side of the screen.  In the contact view, click on the "More" button and then select "Import".  Click on the "Choose File" button and navigate to the location where you save the vcf file, select it and click on "Open".  Back in the Import dialog, follow  the prompts to Import the contacts.

Will that free up some space? Possibly

Thanks in advance.

EDITE IN:

I see Adobe Flash Player 10.1 is 11 MB.  Is the Motorola Flipside even compatible with the Flash app.  I don't recall if the Flipside had an ARM7 processor to meet the requirements.

Is that necessary?  For some website to display properly, it is needed.

Could I uninstall then reinstall if I miss it?  Yes

Developers have the write the code in for the an application to install or be stored on the SD card.  If the app doesn't have the option when you look under Menu button > settings > applications > manage applications > Downloaded > checking each downloaded application.  The button "Move to SD Card" will be white and not gray.

Check the following two applications for size.  Post back if either of these are larger than 1 MB for addtional instructions.

Dialer Storage

Email

You mention you have corporate email on this phone.  Is through the stock email application or an addtional app like Touchdown or K9, etc?  Perhaps you can change your email delivery to a smaller format, but that option would be determined by what your needs are.

Message 57 of 57 (1,236 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.