Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 1, 2011
10:24:54 PM
View profile
Fix for GPS on Galaxy S

I found a fix for the gps problem.  At least it works most of the time.  I now get a lock on as many as 9 satellites.  And it will locate my phone in about 30-45 seconds.  It still is not as quick or as accurate as my old tilt but it is better with this fix found at:

http://twigstechtips.blogspot.com/2011/01/samsung-galaxy-s-fix-slow-gps-signal.html

I have to admit that I used the SGS Tools to get access to the settings instead of using the dialer.  But they have since taken the SGS tools off the market place.

My phone is still rooted and I am sill on 2.1 like every one else. 

I found a fix for the gps problem.  At least it works most of the time.  I now get a lock on as many as 9 satellites.  And it will locate my phone in about 30-45 seconds.  It still is not as quick or as accurate as my old tilt but it is better with this fix found at:

http://twigstechtips.blogspot.com/2011/01/samsung-galaxy-s-fix-slow-gps-signal.html

I have to admit that I used the SGS Tools to get access to the settings instead of using the dialer.  But they have since taken the SGS tools off the market place.

My phone is still rooted and I am sill on 2.1 like every one else. 

Fix for GPS on Galaxy S

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2011 9:26:36 AM
(0)
Professor

This is old news and was copied from another article. Search the market for GPS Restore. It was released by Samsung and has been more of a fix for me than changing any settings.

This is old news and was copied from another article. Search the market for GPS Restore. It was released by Samsung and has been more of a fix for me than changing any settings.

Re: Fix for GPS on Galaxy S

2 of 8 (1,345 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2011 9:31:47 AM
(0)
Teacher

Sorry to offend you with such old news. But the release of this information was January 6, 2011.  But since you apparnently have better information, why do you release it instead of complainging about old news, especialy when folk are trying to be helpful.

Sorry to offend you with such old news. But the release of this information was January 6, 2011.  But since you apparnently have better information, why do you release it instead of complainging about old news, especialy when folk are trying to be helpful.

3 of 8 (1,340 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2011 9:47:12 AM
(0)
Teacher

The gps restore did nothing to my phone.  And it is still off by a 1000 feet.  Sorry about the rudnes. 

The gps restore did nothing to my phone.  And it is still off by a 1000 feet.  Sorry about the rudnes. 

4 of 8 (1,328 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2011 12:14:16 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Feb 2, 2011 at 12:15:49 PM

hubmair wrote:

That information is first available in Aug, 2010. I feel sorry for you have to read such old news from second hand source. It is later proved not really a fix. Your phone will return to the same problem state a week later. It has been discussed here for a long time. Do a search before you accuse others.

The Samsung relased fix (GPS restore) is another fun story. The sole purpose of that 'fix' is to reverse what ever you did in the fix you found back to factory default. It is basically Samsung's way to tell you that fix you mentioned is not the fix and they give  you a way to reset it back.

There is no true GPS fix out there. Actually, there is one: return your phone and exchange for a different one and pray the new one works better.

hubmair wrote:

That information is first available in Aug, 2010. I feel sorry for you have to read such old news from second hand source. It is later proved not really a fix. Your phone will return to the same problem state a week later. It has been discussed here for a long time. Do a search before you accuse others.

The Samsung relased fix (GPS restore) is another fun story. The sole purpose of that 'fix' is to reverse what ever you did in the fix you found back to factory default. It is basically Samsung's way to tell you that fix you mentioned is not the fix and they give  you a way to reset it back.

There is no true GPS fix out there. Actually, there is one: return your phone and exchange for a different one and pray the new one works better.

[ Edited ]
5 of 8 (1,301 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2011 12:18:41 PM
(0)
Scholar

foxbat121 wrote:

hubmair wrote:

And that fix is only valid for those that DO HAVE a GPS issue. Both of mine work flawless. Now granted, my very first one had issues and was returned. The 2 current ones, work as designed (or intended, perhaps is a better way to put it).

foxbat121 wrote:

hubmair wrote:

And that fix is only valid for those that DO HAVE a GPS issue. Both of mine work flawless. Now granted, my very first one had issues and was returned. The 2 current ones, work as designed (or intended, perhaps is a better way to put it).

6 of 8 (1,295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2011 12:36:10 PM
(0)
Teacher

It does not set it back to factory default.  It sets it to the settings of the article I referred to. 

I happen to watch this forum and this was the first time I had seen this fix. I have seen fixes but not this one. 

It does not set it back to factory default.  It sets it to the settings of the article I referred to. 

I happen to watch this forum and this was the first time I had seen this fix. I have seen fixes but not this one. 

7 of 8 (1,280 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2011 12:42:08 PM
(0)
Master

hubmair wrote:

It reset the internal configuration XML file that lbsTestMode (your article link) modifies.

Trust me, it has been mentioned in many GPS threads here.

hubmair wrote:

It reset the internal configuration XML file that lbsTestMode (your article link) modifies.

Trust me, it has been mentioned in many GPS threads here.

8 of 8 (1,276 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments