Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 27, 2010
8:59:02 AM
Find my iPhone on 3GS?

I know you are unable to use the new "free" service with the 3GS only, but know there is a way around this if you use someone else's ipad, ip4 or touch4.  Has anyone been able to say go to like an apple store or best buy and use one of the demo devices to successfully setup find my iphone?  I can't justify spending $200-$400 on a fourth gen device for something that is "free".  I know this is just a small portion of the mobile me, but frankly that's all I want.  Any comments would be appreciated.  Thanks!

I know you are unable to use the new "free" service with the 3GS only, but know there is a way around this if you use someone else's ipad, ip4 or touch4.  Has anyone been able to say go to like an apple store or best buy and use one of the demo devices to successfully setup find my iphone?  I can't justify spending $200-$400 on a fourth gen device for something that is "free".  I know this is just a small portion of the mobile me, but frankly that's all I want.  Any comments would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Find my iPhone on 3GS?

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 27, 2010 9:53:58 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by zentec on Nov 27, 2010 at 9:55:57 AM

Go to Amazon and get a $70 MobileMe account. 

Re: Find my iPhone on 3GS?

[ Edited ]
2 of 8 (3,895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 27, 2010 1:18:21 PM
(0)
Contributor

I've been studying this issue, and the consensus is you can't use a display unit at Apple or other retailers, as they have a lock that prevents users from setting up things like this.  They run a special display only version of the software or something.

It also really isn't a good option to try and borrow someone else's iPhone 4 or iPad to set up find my iPhone on your your 3GS.  It appears that each qualifying device can only set up a maximum of three non-qualifying devices in total.  Some folks who loaned theirs to others found this out the hard way, see the footnote on this article:

http://lifehacker.com/5696311/

So, unless you more or less have a qualifying device in your household, or have a really good friend or significant other who will give up one of their three activations allowed on their qualifying device, you are out of luck.  I'm not a fan of Moblie Me either, even though you can get it for about $49 on line, it's still not a good value for what you get.

This is a becoming a big beef with 3GS users, we have currently sold devices, but we are treated like second class customers.  We also didn't get the new SMS tones, nor did we get HDR camera in the last iOS update.  You might want to go over to the Apple site and tell them you don't like this new policy of treating customers unequally. Maybe if they get enough negative feedback this feature will be rolled out to all iOS devices in iOS 4.3?  Here's a direct link to iPhone feedback at Apple:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

I've been studying this issue, and the consensus is you can't use a display unit at Apple or other retailers, as they have a lock that prevents users from setting up things like this.  They run a special display only version of the software or something.

It also really isn't a good option to try and borrow someone else's iPhone 4 or iPad to set up find my iPhone on your your 3GS.  It appears that each qualifying device can only set up a maximum of three non-qualifying devices in total.  Some folks who loaned theirs to others found this out the hard way, see the footnote on this article:

So, unless you more or less have a qualifying device in your household, or have a really good friend or significant other who will give up one of their three activations allowed on their qualifying device, you are out of luck.  I'm not a fan of Moblie Me either, even though you can get it for about $49 on line, it's still not a good value for what you get.

This is a becoming a big beef with 3GS users, we have currently sold devices, but we are treated like second class customers.  We also didn't get the new SMS tones, nor did we get HDR camera in the last iOS update.  You might want to go over to the Apple site and tell them you don't like this new policy of treating customers unequally. Maybe if they get enough negative feedback this feature will be rolled out to all iOS devices in iOS 4.3?  Here's a direct link to iPhone feedback at Apple:

3 of 8 (3,862 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 27, 2010 6:31:12 PM
(0)
Mentor
So as an update I checked two different Best Buys today and found the iPads were running 3.1 or 4.0.1 same with the iPhone 4 they had on display. You are able to add the mailbox however with the outdated iOS it's not possible. I guess us 3GS users are SOL. I know many may say it's not worth it but I say I don't to spend $50+ on mobile me when all I want is the find my iPhone feature. In the meantime maybe apple will change if enough people complain but based off past complaints I don't think it will ever happen.
So as an update I checked two different Best Buys today and found the iPads were running 3.1 or 4.0.1 same with the iPhone 4 they had on display. You are able to add the mailbox however with the outdated iOS it's not possible. I guess us 3GS users are SOL. I know many may say it's not worth it but I say I don't to spend $50+ on mobile me when all I want is the find my iPhone feature. In the meantime maybe apple will change if enough people complain but based off past complaints I don't think it will ever happen.

4 of 8 (3,823 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 29, 2010 2:42:03 PM
(0)
Mentor

zentec wrote:

...or go to eBay. I bought my last two for $50ea.

zentec wrote:

...or go to eBay. I bought my last two for $50ea.

5 of 8 (3,726 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 29, 2010 5:25:23 PM
(0)
Scholar

as far as new text tones and sms tones  when i upgraded my 3gs on itunes i can do that know on my iphone.

as far as new text tones and sms tones  when i upgraded my 3gs on itunes i can do that know on my iphone.

6 of 8 (3,703 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2010 1:09:32 AM
(0)
Scholar

One option I don't see mentioned is to sign up for the free MobileMe trial, then cancel.  While the email and photo stuff goes away when you cancel the trial, the FindMyPhone remains Smiley Wink

One option I don't see mentioned is to sign up for the free MobileMe trial, then cancel.  While the email and photo stuff goes away when you cancel the trial, the FindMyPhone remains Smiley Wink

7 of 8 (3,540 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2010 3:04:56 PM
(0)
Master

Although you do own a currently sold device, it's sold as a "bargain option" to the iPhone 4.  While I don't want to dissuade you from filling out a feedback form on Apple's site, I have substantial doubts that anything will change in iOS 4.3 or 5.3 or 6.3.

As far as updates like HDR photography go, I wouldn't expect the "legacy" device to get all the bells & whistles that the new model gets.  Some of this is just Apple's SOP, but realize that things like HDR photography are a combination of hardware and software.  I'm sure you can find third-party software that enables HDR photography on a 3GS, but the camera on the phone simply isn't the same as the camera on an 4.

Mid-City Mac Man wrote:

Although you do own a currently sold device, it's sold as a "bargain option" to the iPhone 4.  While I don't want to dissuade you from filling out a feedback form on Apple's site, I have substantial doubts that anything will change in iOS 4.3 or 5.3 or 6.3.

As far as updates like HDR photography go, I wouldn't expect the "legacy" device to get all the bells & whistles that the new model gets.  Some of this is just Apple's SOP, but realize that things like HDR photography are a combination of hardware and software.  I'm sure you can find third-party software that enables HDR photography on a 3GS, but the camera on the phone simply isn't the same as the camera on an 4.

Mid-City Mac Man wrote:

8 of 8 (3,484 Views)