Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 20, 2010
10:59:00 PM
View profile
Fed up

With two phones on a family plan, we still use a fraction of the 700 minutes that we pay for.  A few months ago, I called to downgrade the plan to the 450 minute plan which I was told would be no problem and it would show up that way on my next bill.  The next month came along and my plan had not changed.  I called again and was assured it would be taken care of.  The next month came, and again, the plan had not changed.  I called yet again and was told that the 450 plan was no longer available for more than one line.  At the time I first called, it WAS still available but they would not change it to the 450 plan.  Needless to say, I was and still am, ticked.  On top of that, nearly every month I have to call and get internet usage that I am billed for taken off because we do not and never have used the internet on our two phones.  We have the unlimited text plan along with the 700 minute plan and that is all we use.   My last hope is that an ATT employee that actually has some real knowledge and can get something done will see this and correct the mistakes that were made before.  Otherwise, we are closing our account with ATT.  The service in our area is spotty anyway and we have come to the conclusion that we just don't need this unreliable service at the rate it is being charged ($115 + per month).  For nearly half the price, we can use a competitor that will let us buy less minutes more in tune with what we actually need.  They don't have as nice of phones available, but it is a trade off that we are willing to make if ATT cannot resolve our issue and give us the plan we asked for months ago.  Only one of the lines is still under contract right now and when that is up, we are done.

With two phones on a family plan, we still use a fraction of the 700 minutes that we pay for.  A few months ago, I called to downgrade the plan to the 450 minute plan which I was told would be no problem and it would show up that way on my next bill.  The next month came along and my plan had not changed.  I called again and was assured it would be taken care of.  The next month came, and again, the plan had not changed.  I called yet again and was told that the 450 plan was no longer available for more than one line.  At the time I first called, it WAS still available but they would not change it to the 450 plan.  Needless to say, I was and still am, ticked.  On top of that, nearly every month I have to call and get internet usage that I am billed for taken off because we do not and never have used the internet on our two phones.  We have the unlimited text plan along with the 700 minute plan and that is all we use.   My last hope is that an ATT employee that actually has some real knowledge and can get something done will see this and correct the mistakes that were made before.  Otherwise, we are closing our account with ATT.  The service in our area is spotty anyway and we have come to the conclusion that we just don't need this unreliable service at the rate it is being charged ($115 + per month).  For nearly half the price, we can use a competitor that will let us buy less minutes more in tune with what we actually need.  They don't have as nice of phones available, but it is a trade off that we are willing to make if ATT cannot resolve our issue and give us the plan we asked for months ago.  Only one of the lines is still under contract right now and when that is up, we are done.

Fed up

18 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(18)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2010 1:12:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Smakman wrote:

If you are unsatisfied with AT&T's postpaid service, I recommend switching to prepaid. They have the Unlimited $60 Talk and Text Plan, which sounds perfect for you, if you would still like to stay with this company. You can use your current phones, too. All you would need is a new AT&T prepaid SIM card.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Smakman wrote:

If you are unsatisfied with AT&T's postpaid service, I recommend switching to prepaid. They have the Unlimited $60 Talk and Text Plan, which sounds perfect for you, if you would still like to stay with this company. You can use your current phones, too. All you would need is a new AT&T prepaid SIM card.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Fed up

2 of 19 (495 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2010 2:33:35 PM
(0)
Guru

There is a 550 minute plan available, at least in my area.  It would be $10 less a month than the 700 minute plan, I think.   I  have not even heard of a 450 minute plan. 

There is a 550 minute plan available, at least in my area.  It would be $10 less a month than the 700 minute plan, I think.   I  have not even heard of a 450 minute plan. 

3 of 19 (490 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2010 11:52:06 PM
(0)
Tutor

Ehhh.......do the math.  2 x 60 = even more than we pay NOW for the crappy service we get in our area. I wouldn't gripe if we paid half what we do OR the service was decent.  We even can't drive the 12 miles from home to work without a 7 mile dead zone in between.  And the map shows complete coverage, which is a blatant lie.   Screw AT&T.  We are gone.

Ehhh.......do the math.  2 x 60 = even more than we pay NOW for the crappy service we get in our area. I wouldn't gripe if we paid half what we do OR the service was decent.  We even can't drive the 12 miles from home to work without a 7 mile dead zone in between.  And the map shows complete coverage, which is a blatant lie.   Screw AT&T.  We are gone.

4 of 19 (442 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2010 10:11:28 AM
(0)
Master

All plans are not offered in all locations, unfortunately.  And the coverage maps should be treated more as marketing materials or a general guideline than a specific, point-by-point bible of coverage.  Honestly, if the coverage is that bad for you, perhaps you should consider a different carrier who provides better local coverage.

All plans are not offered in all locations, unfortunately.  And the coverage maps should be treated more as marketing materials or a general guideline than a specific, point-by-point bible of coverage.  Honestly, if the coverage is that bad for you, perhaps you should consider a different carrier who provides better local coverage.

5 of 19 (438 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2010 2:22:46 PM
(0)
Tutor

There is a choice.  It's called Straighttalk and it is everywhere.  Yeah, I know they use AT&T (AND Verizon) towers and they don't have the snazziest smartphones (however I am told that you can use any unlocked phone once you are up and running with them), BUT.....the price is HALF for the same service ATT is supposed to be providing.  We are still stuck for a few months with the one line unless we want to pay the termination fee (and give AT&T even more money for nothing) but I am already on with the other line and so far, so good, it is a great alternative.  www.straighttalk.com people!

There is a choice.  It's called Straighttalk and it is everywhere.  Yeah, I know they use AT&T (AND Verizon) towers and they don't have the snazziest smartphones (however I am told that you can use any unlocked phone once you are up and running with them), BUT.....the price is HALF for the same service ATT is supposed to be providing.  We are still stuck for a few months with the one line unless we want to pay the termination fee (and give AT&T even more money for nothing) but I am already on with the other line and so far, so good, it is a great alternative.  www.straighttalk.com people!

6 of 19 (382 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2010 4:28:47 PM
(0)
Guru

Did some research on that company you recommended. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't even waste my time or my money with that company. Just reading over the Terms and Conditions is rather hilarious. I'd rather be with Cricket....

Did some research on that company you recommended. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't even waste my time or my money with that company. Just reading over the Terms and Conditions is rather hilarious. I'd rather be with Cricket....

http://forums.att.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/5647i42265AB3AEBCB54D/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

7 of 19 (375 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2010 4:52:24 PM
(0)
Professor

the 450 minute plan for families is a CUSTOMER RELATIONS PLAN, you can only get that plan if offered by a CUSOTMER RELATIONS rep, not a customer care rep, who can only do the 550 plan, and straighttalk only uses verizon not att and uses cdma not sim cards....either way good luck

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

the 450 minute plan for families is a CUSTOMER RELATIONS PLAN, you can only get that plan if offered by a CUSOTMER RELATIONS rep, not a customer care rep, who can only do the 550 plan, and straighttalk only uses verizon not att and uses cdma not sim cards....either way good luck

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

8 of 19 (372 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2010 6:20:49 AM
(0)
Professor

BrianfromNO wrote:

Kudos Brian, for being courteous and straight to the point.

BrianfromNO wrote:

Kudos Brian, for being courteous and straight to the point.

9 of 19 (356 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2010 12:39:12 PM
(0)
Tutor

"the 450 minute plan for families is a CUSTOMER RELATIONS PLAN, you can only get that plan if offered by a CUSOTMER RELATIONS rep, not a customer care rep, who can only do the 550 plan, and straighttalk only uses verizon not att and uses cdma not sim cards....either way good luck"

Wrong and wrong.  The 450 plan WAS available at the time i asked for it and it WAS a listed plan for this area.  Straighttalk does NOT only work with Verison towers, it DOES work with AT&T towers and IS GSM.....at least in this area.

"All plans are not offered in all locations, unfortunately.  And the coverage maps should be treated more as marketing materials or a general guideline than a specific, point-by-point bible of coverage.  Honestly, if the coverage is that bad for you, perhaps you should consider a different carrier who provides better local coverage."

So it's ok if AT&T uses false marketing?  Sure looks like that is what you are saying.

"the 450 minute plan for families is a CUSTOMER RELATIONS PLAN, you can only get that plan if offered by a CUSOTMER RELATIONS rep, not a customer care rep, who can only do the 550 plan, and straighttalk only uses verizon not att and uses cdma not sim cards....either way good luck"

Wrong and wrong.  The 450 plan WAS available at the time i asked for it and it WAS a listed plan for this area.  Straighttalk does NOT only work with Verison towers, it DOES work with AT&T towers and IS GSM.....at least in this area.

"All plans are not offered in all locations, unfortunately.  And the coverage maps should be treated more as marketing materials or a general guideline than a specific, point-by-point bible of coverage.  Honestly, if the coverage is that bad for you, perhaps you should consider a different carrier who provides better local coverage."

So it's ok if AT&T uses false marketing?  Sure looks like that is what you are saying.

10 of 19 (348 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2010 1:01:19 PM
(0)
Scholar

I am also not aware of there ever being a 450 min plan for families, just 550 as the lowest for standard family plans.

One thing you can ask for on a rate plan change, is to make effective immediately or to have them back date the new plan to the start of your bill cycle, then you can verify the change from your wireless account online

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

I am also not aware of there ever being a 450 min plan for families, just 550 as the lowest for standard family plans.

One thing you can ask for on a rate plan change, is to make effective immediately or to have them back date the new plan to the start of your bill cycle, then you can verify the change from your wireless account online

11 of 19 (286 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2011 5:20:50 AM
(0)
Expert

Smakman wrote:

"false advertising" is your interpetation of the statement,  the same would be said for every other cellular provider that uses coverage maps to depect their service areas. Celluar coverage is a interesting subject - have a location in my home area that no matter what provider you use - when you pass through the area, a call will drop, yet all of the providers here show 100 percent coverage in that area on their coverage map. Read the TOS - no provider promises 100 percent coverage in 100 percent of their area.

Smakman wrote:

"false advertising" is your interpetation of the statement,  the same would be said for every other cellular provider that uses coverage maps to depect their service areas. Celluar coverage is a interesting subject - have a location in my home area that no matter what provider you use - when you pass through the area, a call will drop, yet all of the providers here show 100 percent coverage in that area on their coverage map. Read the TOS - no provider promises 100 percent coverage in 100 percent of their area.

12 of 19 (276 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2011 9:17:25 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Smakman wrote:

If StraightTalk uses the at&t network in your area, it wouldn't completely surprise me if you see marked improvement with a change.  I was in Dallas for the Big 12 Championship in early December and a member of our party uses a TracFone on at&t's network.  While I couldn't get a data connection to save my life, he had no problem with the TracFone at all - and was happily MMSing away. Smiley Very Happy  But Smiley Sad.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Smakman wrote:

If StraightTalk uses the at&t network in your area, it wouldn't completely surprise me if you see marked improvement with a change.  I was in Dallas for the Big 12 Championship in early December and a member of our party uses a TracFone on at&t's network.  While I couldn't get a data connection to save my life, he had no problem with the TracFone at all - and was happily MMSing away. Smiley Very Happy  But Smiley Sad.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

13 of 19 (269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2011 11:29:55 AM
(0)
Professor

I did a little research on this company, other forums say they are horrible. I wouldn't do the straighttalk thing.

I did a little research on this company, other forums say they are horrible. I wouldn't do the straighttalk thing.

14 of 19 (252 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2011 9:10:10 PM
(0)
Tutor

Who ARE you people?  All AT&T employees?  This is rich.

Who ARE you people?  All AT&T employees?  This is rich.

15 of 19 (221 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2011 9:12:19 PM
(0)
Tutor

I think that AT&T's legal department would be interested to hear the interpretation of their coverage maps as marketing tools.  I think lots of people would be interested. 

I think that AT&T's legal department would be interested to hear the interpretation of their coverage maps as marketing tools.  I think lots of people would be interested. 

16 of 19 (221 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2011 9:39:48 PM
(0)
Teacher

DON'T BE FOOLED!!!!  CHECK OUT THEIR COMPETITION!!!  I AM.  ATT IS A TERRIBLE COMPANY THAT IS ONLY AFTER GETTING MORE OUT OF YOU EACH MONTH.  THEY DID NOT DECREASE YOUR PLAN TO THE 450 PLAN BECAUSE THEN YOU WOULD NOT BE PAYING THEM AS MUCH EACH MONTH.  WHAT APPEARS TO YOU AS INCOMPETENCE, IS ACTUALLY FRAUD!!!  THEY CONNED YOU!!!  JUMP SHIP NOW!!!!!

DON'T BE FOOLED!!!!  CHECK OUT THEIR COMPETITION!!!  I AM.  ATT IS A TERRIBLE COMPANY THAT IS ONLY AFTER GETTING MORE OUT OF YOU EACH MONTH.  THEY DID NOT DECREASE YOUR PLAN TO THE 450 PLAN BECAUSE THEN YOU WOULD NOT BE PAYING THEM AS MUCH EACH MONTH.  WHAT APPEARS TO YOU AS INCOMPETENCE, IS ACTUALLY FRAUD!!!  THEY CONNED YOU!!!  JUMP SHIP NOW!!!!!

17 of 19 (219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 7:49:50 AM
(0)
Professor

nsixel wrote:

That's all it is. It gives you a pretty good general idea, but you can't draw the map to be 100%. You can't draw a line on a map and say this is where coverage starts, this is where coverage ends, or what level of coverage you would get in a particular area for that matter. The further you get away from a tower the more the signal drops. Then at some point things like trees, hills, buildings, become more influential.

nsixel wrote:

That's all it is. It gives you a pretty good general idea, but you can't draw the map to be 100%. You can't draw a line on a map and say this is where coverage starts, this is where coverage ends, or what level of coverage you would get in a particular area for that matter. The further you get away from a tower the more the signal drops. Then at some point things like trees, hills, buildings, become more influential.

18 of 19 (206 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 7:57:11 AM
(0)
Expert

nsixel wrote:

they already have - who do you think wrote the terms of service for coverage that you probably never read - contrary to you belief cell phone coverage is not 100 percent effective no matter what anyone's "coverage map" states - get a basic understanding of the technology. coveage maps are marketing tools and that is it

nsixel wrote:

they already have - who do you think wrote the terms of service for coverage that you probably never read - contrary to you belief cell phone coverage is not 100 percent effective no matter what anyone's "coverage map" states - get a basic understanding of the technology. coveage maps are marketing tools and that is it

19 of 19 (204 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments