Helpful Links

Fed up

Tutor

Fed up

With two phones on a family plan, we still use a fraction of the 700 minutes that we pay for.  A few months ago, I called to downgrade the plan to the 450 minute plan which I was told would be no problem and it would show up that way on my next bill.  The next month came along and my plan had not changed.  I called again and was assured it would be taken care of.  The next month came, and again, the plan had not changed.  I called yet again and was told that the 450 plan was no longer available for more than one line.  At the time I first called, it WAS still available but they would not change it to the 450 plan.  Needless to say, I was and still am, ticked.  On top of that, nearly every month I have to call and get internet usage that I am billed for taken off because we do not and never have used the internet on our two phones.  We have the unlimited text plan along with the 700 minute plan and that is all we use.   My last hope is that an ATT employee that actually has some real knowledge and can get something done will see this and correct the mistakes that were made before.  Otherwise, we are closing our account with ATT.  The service in our area is spotty anyway and we have come to the conclusion that we just don't need this unreliable service at the rate it is being charged ($115 + per month).  For nearly half the price, we can use a competitor that will let us buy less minutes more in tune with what we actually need.  They don't have as nice of phones available, but it is a trade off that we are willing to make if ATT cannot resolve our issue and give us the plan we asked for months ago.  Only one of the lines is still under contract right now and when that is up, we are done.

Message 1 of 19
Master

Re: Fed up

Smakman wrote:

With two phones on a family plan, we still use a fraction of the 700 minutes that we pay for.  A few months ago, I called to downgrade the plan to the 450 minute plan which I was told would be no problem and it would show up that way on my next bill.  The next month came along and my plan had not changed.  I called again and was assured it would be taken care of.  The next month came, and again, the plan had not changed.  I called yet again and was told that the 450 plan was no longer available for more than one line.  At the time I first called, it WAS still available but they would not change it to the 450 plan.  Needless to say, I was and still am, ticked.  On top of that, nearly every month I have to call and get internet usage that I am billed for taken off because we do not and never have used the internet on our two phones.  We have the unlimited text plan along with the 700 minute plan and that is all we use.   My last hope is that an ATT employee that actually has some real knowledge and can get something done will see this and correct the mistakes that were made before.  Otherwise, we are closing our account with ATT.  The service in our area is spotty anyway and we have come to the conclusion that we just don't need this unreliable service at the rate it is being charged ($115 + per month).  For nearly half the price, we can use a competitor that will let us buy less minutes more in tune with what we actually need.  They don't have as nice of phones available, but it is a trade off that we are willing to make if ATT cannot resolve our issue and give us the plan we asked for months ago.  Only one of the lines is still under contract right now and when that is up, we are done.

If you are unsatisfied with AT&T's postpaid service, I recommend switching to prepaid. They have the Unlimited $60 Talk and Text Plan, which sounds perfect for you, if you would still like to stay with this company. You can use your current phones, too. All you would need is a new AT&T prepaid SIM card.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 19
Guru

There is a 550 minute plan available, at least in my area.  It would be $10 less a month than the 700 minute plan, I think.   I  have not even heard of a 450 minute plan. 

Message 3 of 19
Tutor

Ehhh.......do the math.  2 x 60 = even more than we pay NOW for the crappy service we get in our area. I wouldn't gripe if we paid half what we do OR the service was decent.  We even can't drive the 12 miles from home to work without a 7 mile dead zone in between.  And the map shows complete coverage, which is a blatant lie.   Screw AT&T.  We are gone.

Message 4 of 19
Highlighted
Master

All plans are not offered in all locations, unfortunately.  And the coverage maps should be treated more as marketing materials or a general guideline than a specific, point-by-point bible of coverage.  Honestly, if the coverage is that bad for you, perhaps you should consider a different carrier who provides better local coverage.

Message 5 of 19
Tutor

There is a choice.  It's called Straighttalk and it is everywhere.  Yeah, I know they use AT&T (AND Verizon) towers and they don't have the snazziest smartphones (however I am told that you can use any unlocked phone once you are up and running with them), BUT.....the price is HALF for the same service ATT is supposed to be providing.  We are still stuck for a few months with the one line unless we want to pay the termination fee (and give AT&T even more money for nothing) but I am already on with the other line and so far, so good, it is a great alternative.  www.straighttalk.com people!

Message 6 of 19

Did some research on that company you recommended. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't even waste my time or my money with that company. Just reading over the Terms and Conditions is rather hilarious. I'd rather be with Cricket....

Message 7 of 19
Professor

the 450 minute plan for families is a CUSTOMER RELATIONS PLAN, you can only get that plan if offered by a CUSOTMER RELATIONS rep, not a customer care rep, who can only do the 550 plan, and straighttalk only uses verizon not att and uses cdma not sim cards....either way good luck

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 8 of 19
Professor

BrianfromNO wrote:

All plans are not offered in all locations, unfortunately.  And the coverage maps should be treated more as marketing materials or a general guideline than a specific, point-by-point bible of coverage.  Honestly, if the coverage is that bad for you, perhaps you should consider a different carrier who provides better local coverage.

Kudos Brian, for being courteous and straight to the point.

Message 9 of 19
Tutor

"the 450 minute plan for families is a CUSTOMER RELATIONS PLAN, you can only get that plan if offered by a CUSOTMER RELATIONS rep, not a customer care rep, who can only do the 550 plan, and straighttalk only uses verizon not att and uses cdma not sim cards....either way good luck"

Wrong and wrong.  The 450 plan WAS available at the time i asked for it and it WAS a listed plan for this area.  Straighttalk does NOT only work with Verison towers, it DOES work with AT&T towers and IS GSM.....at least in this area.

"All plans are not offered in all locations, unfortunately.  And the coverage maps should be treated more as marketing materials or a general guideline than a specific, point-by-point bible of coverage.  Honestly, if the coverage is that bad for you, perhaps you should consider a different carrier who provides better local coverage."

So it's ok if AT&T uses false marketing?  Sure looks like that is what you are saying.

Message 10 of 19
Scholar

I am also not aware of there ever being a 450 min plan for families, just 550 as the lowest for standard family plans.

One thing you can ask for on a rate plan change, is to make effective immediately or to have them back date the new plan to the start of your bill cycle, then you can verify the change from your wireless account online

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 11 of 19
Expert

Smakman wrote:

"the 450 minute plan for families is a CUSTOMER RELATIONS PLAN, you can only get that plan if offered by a CUSOTMER RELATIONS rep, not a customer care rep, who can only do the 550 plan, and straighttalk only uses verizon not att and uses cdma not sim cards....either way good luck"

Wrong and wrong.  The 450 plan WAS available at the time i asked for it and it WAS a listed plan for this area.  Straighttalk does NOT only work with Verison towers, it DOES work with AT&T towers and IS GSM.....at least in this area.

"All plans are not offered in all locations, unfortunately.  And the coverage maps should be treated more as marketing materials or a general guideline than a specific, point-by-point bible of coverage.  Honestly, if the coverage is that bad for you, perhaps you should consider a different carrier who provides better local coverage."

So it's ok if AT&T uses false marketing?  Sure looks like that is what you are saying.

"false advertising" is your interpetation of the statement,  the same would be said for every other cellular provider that uses coverage maps to depect their service areas. Celluar coverage is a interesting subject - have a location in my home area that no matter what provider you use - when you pass through the area, a call will drop, yet all of the providers here show 100 percent coverage in that area on their coverage map. Read the TOS - no provider promises 100 percent coverage in 100 percent of their area.

Message 12 of 19
Master

Smakman wrote:

If StraightTalk uses the at&t network in your area, it wouldn't completely surprise me if you see marked improvement with a change.  I was in Dallas for the Big 12 Championship in early December and a member of our party uses a TracFone on at&t's network.  While I couldn't get a data connection to save my life, he had no problem with the TracFone at all - and was happily MMSing away. Smiley Very Happy  But Smiley Sad.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 13 of 19
Professor

I did a little research on this company, other forums say they are horrible. I wouldn't do the straighttalk thing.

Message 14 of 19
Tutor

Who ARE you people?  All AT&T employees?  This is rich.

Message 15 of 19
Share this topic
Announcements

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Have questions about International Plans? Get the answers on Wed. 10/25 at Hello World: International Plans, from 1-4pm ET / 10am-1pm PT!

Let us help you upgrade and activate your device!

Additional Support