Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 8, 2011
10:05:10 AM
Feature phone with WiFi

I have a Samsung Impression and would love to have a  WiFi connection w/o changing to a smartphone. Is a there a feature (no internet plan) phone with WiFi exist? if so, what model(s)

I have a Samsung Impression and would love to have a  WiFi connection w/o changing to a smartphone. Is a there a feature (no internet plan) phone with WiFi exist? if so, what model(s)

Feature phone with WiFi

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2011 12:00:03 PM
(0)
Professor

cottonflash wrote:

No there isn't. With any feature phone that the manufacturers put out with wi-fi, AT&T will have it disabled before they allow it on their network. You may be able to do this if you can find a non AT&T branded feature phone that has wi-fi and will run on AT&T's bands.

cottonflash wrote:

No there isn't. With any feature phone that the manufacturers put out with wi-fi, AT&T will have it disabled before they allow it on their network. You may be able to do this if you can find a non AT&T branded feature phone that has wi-fi and will run on AT&T's bands.

Re: Feature phone with WiFi

2 of 5 (5,423 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2011 11:03:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

You can see if you can located a SE C905i or a used C905a that has been debranded.  I believe the C905i will lack one of the US 3G frequencies, but if 3G service is not important to you, that may not matter.  I believe Nokia may also make a few non-branded models that offer WiFi ability but are not classified as smartphones/QMDs by at&t.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

You can see if you can located a SE C905i or a used C905a that has been debranded.  I believe the C905i will lack one of the US 3G frequencies, but if 3G service is not important to you, that may not matter.  I believe Nokia may also make a few non-branded models that offer WiFi ability but are not classified as smartphones/QMDs by at&t.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 5 (5,335 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2011 3:34:18 PM
(0)
Master
If you are willing to go to a different carrier. Verizon has the KIN line in their feature phones. Both phones can connect to wifi and DO NOT require a data plan.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
If you are willing to go to a different carrier. Verizon has the KIN line in their feature phones. Both phones can connect to wifi and DO NOT require a data plan.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

4 of 5 (5,319 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2011 12:51:58 PM
(0)
Guru

If you do some research on phones not sold by AT&T you can find a few feature phones that do have wifi.  One that comes to mind is the Samsung Corby.  There were/are several versions made.  (I believe the Corby II was recently announced.)  I considered buying one before I got my iPhone.  Just make sure the phone will work on US frequencies.  There was a Samsung Corby Pro, I think, that did have the correct frequencies, but it was difficult to find.  Samsung had other phones with wifi, too, as did Nokia.  Check phonearena.com and the phone company websites to see what is available now.

If you do some research on phones not sold by AT&T you can find a few feature phones that do have wifi.  One that comes to mind is the Samsung Corby.  There were/are several versions made.  (I believe the Corby II was recently announced.)  I considered buying one before I got my iPhone.  Just make sure the phone will work on US frequencies.  There was a Samsung Corby Pro, I think, that did have the correct frequencies, but it was difficult to find.  Samsung had other phones with wifi, too, as did Nokia.  Check phonearena.com and the phone company websites to see what is available now.

5 of 5 (5,064 Views)