Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted May 2, 2012
2:48:48 PM
View profile
FamilyMap HELP!

My 9 year old daughter's cell phone was stolen and although I've filed a police report, I still want to find the phone and not have to pay an insurance deductible of $100+ to get it replaced.  She is only 9!  It's a BB Torch but I'm so frustrated because the Locater feature is only picking up the phone by about 800+ yards.  That is wayyyyy too big of an area in order for it to be found.  However, if I attempt to locate my phone (an iPhone) or my husband's (a Motorola Atrix), it gives me a location withing a distance of no more than 15 yards.  Why the big difference?  I'm so frustrated!

My 9 year old daughter's cell phone was stolen and although I've filed a police report, I still want to find the phone and not have to pay an insurance deductible of $100+ to get it replaced.  She is only 9!  It's a BB Torch but I'm so frustrated because the Locater feature is only picking up the phone by about 800+ yards.  That is wayyyyy too big of an area in order for it to be found.  However, if I attempt to locate my phone (an iPhone) or my husband's (a Motorola Atrix), it gives me a location withing a distance of no more than 15 yards.  Why the big difference?  I'm so frustrated!

FamilyMap HELP!

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2012 10:03:50 PM
(0)
Professor

It all depends on the type of GPS the phone itself is using.

I can understand the frustration, but seeing as how the child is only 9, maybe you could consider giving her a cheaper (disposible?) phone?

It all depends on the type of GPS the phone itself is using.

I can understand the frustration, but seeing as how the child is only 9, maybe you could consider giving her a cheaper (disposible?) phone?

Re: FamilyMap HELP!

2 of 3 (980 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2012 8:52:16 AM
(0)
Teacher

I got my 9y old daughter a Pantech Link.  Got it for $30 on the AT&T website under the GoPhone area.  Even though it was meant to be used as prepaid, just slip your postpaid SIM in and it works.  The Pantech link looks just like a BlackBerry and used A-GPS for location.  My experience is that Family Map will locate the Pantech to about 15 yards.

I got my 9y old daughter a Pantech Link.  Got it for $30 on the AT&T website under the GoPhone area.  Even though it was meant to be used as prepaid, just slip your postpaid SIM in and it works.  The Pantech link looks just like a BlackBerry and used A-GPS for location.  My experience is that Family Map will locate the Pantech to about 15 yards.

Re: FamilyMap HELP!

3 of 3 (885 Views)