Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 8, 2011
1:38:25 PM
View profile
Factory unlocked iPhone 4 non-smartphone GoPhone plan

Yessssss... I know AT&T doesn't officially support the iPhone 4 on a GoPhone prepaid plan.

I am coming to the US for a week with a legally-unlocked iPhone 4 from Canada (it was carrier-locked but I paid for a legal unlock and activation in iTunes, through my carrier, like people can do with Australian carriers). I've taken it to other countries and popped in their SIMs, no problem with data/voice use, it was straightforward.

I have my GoPhone account set up with funds, and a SIM cut into a MicroSIM, and I have the $25 / 500 MB GoPhone Data plan (not the smartphone variant).

I don't know what IMEI the reseller registered me with, he didn't ask for one.

So, the question is simply:

Even though it is not guaranteed to work with data, and it is not AT&T policy for it to work with data, will it? Anyone tried it and know one way or the other for sure?

Yessssss... I know AT&T doesn't officially support the iPhone 4 on a GoPhone prepaid plan.

I am coming to the US for a week with a legally-unlocked iPhone 4 from Canada (it was carrier-locked but I paid for a legal unlock and activation in iTunes, through my carrier, like people can do with Australian carriers). I've taken it to other countries and popped in their SIMs, no problem with data/voice use, it was straightforward.

I have my GoPhone account set up with funds, and a SIM cut into a MicroSIM, and I have the $25 / 500 MB GoPhone Data plan (not the smartphone variant).

I don't know what IMEI the reseller registered me with, he didn't ask for one.

So, the question is simply:

Even though it is not guaranteed to work with data, and it is not AT&T policy for it to work with data, will it? Anyone tried it and know one way or the other for sure?

Factory unlocked iPhone 4 non-smartphone GoPhone plan

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2011 10:34:28 AM
(0)
Mentor

Yes it will work. But you need to google apn changer and make a file with the att settings. And then the prepaid data will work. I have been doing if for over a year now with my iphone 3g, then 3gs

Yes it will work. But you need to google apn changer and make a file with the att settings. And then the prepaid data will work. I have been doing if for over a year now with my iphone 3g, then 3gs

Re: Factory unlocked iPhone 4 non-smartphone GoPhone plan

2 of 10 (3,192 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2011 3:48:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Yes, it should work. I would actually like to try this myself with an iPhone 3GS, then maybe onto the 4.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Yes, it should work. I would actually like to try this myself with an iPhone 3GS, then maybe onto the 4.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 10 (3,186 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2011 8:18:35 AM
(0)
Contributor
I have a 32gb 3GS running 4.0 and a baseband of 05.13.04 and I have the 50.00 unlimited gophone plan how do I get the unlimited data that is with my gophone plan to work.
I have a 32gb 3GS running 4.0 and a baseband of 05.13.04 and I have the 50.00 unlimited gophone plan how do I get the unlimited data that is with my gophone plan to work.

4 of 10 (2,644 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2011 8:23:07 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

bone991035 wrote:
Because you are using a smartphone, particularly an iPhone, the unlimited data will not work with the plan. In order to use data services, you will have to purchase a separate data package. Smartphones cannot use unlimited data on prepaid because they are data hogs.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

bone991035 wrote:
Because you are using a smartphone, particularly an iPhone, the unlimited data will not work with the plan. In order to use data services, you will have to purchase a separate data package. Smartphones cannot use unlimited data on prepaid because they are data hogs.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 10 (2,639 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2011 12:12:49 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by OnlytheShadowKnows on Aug 25, 2011 at 12:14:21 PM

bone991035 wrote:

As OlderTwin said correctly, above, you need to install APNChanger from http://www.unlockit.co.nz on your iPhone, because AT&T will not provision over the air the APN settings.  Alternatively, if your unlocked phone allows, you can do this manually as well (In the US, the locked AT&T iPhone does not allow access to the APN settings from the menu).

[The APNChanger app is just a webclip, which provides APN carrier settings world-wide, keyed by country, and is free.]

And as Wild Banchi said, you do need a monthly data feature package as well (I use the 100Mbyte-month package).  But as OlderTwin noted, even if you buy the featue package, cellular data will be inaccessible until you configure the APN carrier settings.

Hope that helps.  Good luck.

bone991035 wrote:

As OlderTwin said correctly, above, you need to install APNChanger from http://www.unlockit.co.nz on your iPhone, because AT&T will not provision over the air the APN settings.  Alternatively, if your unlocked phone allows, you can do this manually as well (In the US, the locked AT&T iPhone does not allow access to the APN settings from the menu).

[The APNChanger app is just a webclip, which provides APN carrier settings world-wide, keyed by country, and is free.]

And as Wild Banchi said, you do need a monthly data feature package as well (I use the 100Mbyte-month package).  But as OlderTwin noted, even if you buy the featue package, cellular data will be inaccessible until you configure the APN carrier settings.

Hope that helps.  Good luck.

[ Edited ]
6 of 10 (2,628 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2011 1:37:55 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by student13 on Aug 25, 2011 at 1:42:27 PM

FACTS/MY SITUATION:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hi there, I am another Canadian with a factory unlocked iphone4.

I recently purchased a  basic cell phone  (go phone) (ATT r225 or ZTE 225).

I called and made sure that ATT does not lock the sim card anymore...good.

NOW I asked whether I can either buy a phone free sim card  and use data (in the iphone) or or take the sim out from my basic go phone and use data with teh iphone assuming I buy the prepaid 50$ unlimited plan in both casesIn both cases the teh 1800 chick and the  mall att store chick said NO.

MY QUESTION

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Due to teh  fact that some of the sim cards have the words  "3G" printed on them, and some don't (like the sim card from my basic go phone) let me ask,

iphone + apn changer + sim card from crappy go phone+ 50 dollar unlimited data :  will it work or not work?

iphone +apn changer + buy phone free sim card from AT&T store+ 50 dollar unlim data plan: wil it work or not??

Second question is there a VOIP restriction or tethering restriction on the unlimited data plan vis a vis my iphone

Thanks .

BTW I DON'T KNWO WHY AT&T THINKS THAT PEOPLE WILL PAY 50$ FOR DATA AND USE LIKE NOTHING.

IF THEY EXPECT PEOPLE TO PAY THAT MUCH AND ONLY USE MOBILE DATA ON A WEB POOR CELL PHONE

NO BODY IS GOING TO BUY IN. I think they should limit it to 20 gigs monthly if they are that worried about data usage.

Remember screwing people will just make them not buy in.

FACTS/MY SITUATION:

Hi there, I am another Canadian with a factory unlocked iphone4.

I recently purchased a  basic cell phone  (go phone) (ATT r225 or ZTE 225).

NOW I asked whether I can either buy a phone free sim card  and use data (in the iphone) or or take the sim out from my basic go phone and use data with teh iphone assuming I buy the prepaid 50$ unlimited plan in both casesIn both cases the teh 1800 chick and the  mall att store chick said NO.

MY QUESTION

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Due to teh  fact that some of the sim cards have the words  "3G" printed on them, and some don't (like the sim card from my basic go phone) let me ask,

iphone + apn changer + sim card from crappy go phone+ 50 dollar unlimited data :  will it work or not work?

iphone +apn changer + buy phone free sim card from AT&T store+ 50 dollar unlim data plan: wil it work or not??

Second question is there a VOIP restriction or tethering restriction on the unlimited data plan vis a vis my iphone

Thanks .

BTW I DON'T KNWO WHY AT&T THINKS THAT PEOPLE WILL PAY 50$ FOR DATA AND USE LIKE NOTHING.

IF THEY EXPECT PEOPLE TO PAY THAT MUCH AND ONLY USE MOBILE DATA ON A WEB POOR CELL PHONE

NO BODY IS GOING TO BUY IN. I think they should limit it to 20 gigs monthly if they are that worried about data usage.

Remember screwing people will just make them not buy in.

[ Edited ]
7 of 10 (2,616 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2011 9:37:12 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by OnlytheShadowKnows on Aug 26, 2011 at 9:42:43 AM

student13 wrote:

...I am another Canadian with a factory unlocked iphone4.

Due to the fact that some of the sim cards have the words  "3G" printed on them, and some don't (like the sim card from my basic go phone) let me ask,

iphone + apn changer + sim card from crappy go phone+ 50 dollar unlimited datawill it work or not work?

Thanks .

Let me give it a shot student13 (I have an iPhone 3G  under Pay-as-you-Go, so I speak from actual use):

• iphone + apn changer + sim card from crappy go phone+ 50 dollar unlimited datawill it work or not work?

iPhoneyes

APN Changeryes

Pre-Activated GoPhone SIMProbably as it is not locked to your crappy phone. But why did you buy the crappy GoPhone?

$50 unlimited planNoYou need a Data Feature Plan for smartphoneThis plan is only for "feature phones".  Three choices:  $5-month (10MB-month equiv 50cents-MBmonth), $15-month (100MB-month equiv 15cents-MBmonth) and $25-month ($500MB-month equiv 5cents-MBmonth)

• iphone +apn changer + buy phone free sim card from AT&T store+ 50 dollar unlim data plan: wil it work or not?

iPhoneyes

APN Changeryes

3G SIM from AT&T storeYes, but no needBuy one from eBay at $2.79, shipping includedThat is what I did:

GOTO: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-AT-T-3G-SIM-CARD-NEVER-ACTIVATED-CINGULAR-/350332270081?pt=SIM_Car...

$50 unlimited planNo. Same answer as aboveUnlimited data applies only to your crappy GoPhone.

• Is there a VOIP restriction or tethering restriction on the unlimited data plan vis a vis my iphone

As your iPhone is unlocked (but not jailbroken) your only limitation are apps downloaded from the Apple StoreIf Apple does not allow the app, you are out of luckSo:

Tethering restriction?:  NoUnlocked, so no problem.

VoIP apps restriction?:  Probably, by Apple not AT&T.

Hope this helpsOne more note (and I hope this post does not get silently removed by a moderator):

When activating your iPhone, use your GoPhone's IMEI (or an IMEI of all zeroes) because the activation process checks to see if the leading eight digits are Apple's Factory ID, and if so it will give you a "try later" errorForever.

This hurdle is only applied by AT&T during iPhone activation, not during iPhone  usage.

But , if you are reusing your crappy phone's SIM card, then you don't even have to bother with the IMEI as the card is already activated with your crappy phone's IMEIAnd you are good-to-go.

But, let be noted, that there is nothing on the Terms and Conditions that restrict the iPhone as a GoPhone.

Hope this helpsHope this answer does not get removedGood luck, student13.

student13 wrote:

...I am another Canadian with a factory unlocked iphone4.

Due to the fact that some of the sim cards have the words  "3G" printed on them, and some don't (like the sim card from my basic go phone) let me ask,

iphone + apn changer + sim card from crappy go phone+ 50 dollar unlimited datawill it work or not work?

Thanks .

Let me give it a shot student13 (I have an iPhone 3G  under Pay-as-you-Go, so I speak from actual use):

• iphone + apn changer + sim card from crappy go phone+ 50 dollar unlimited datawill it work or not work?

iPhoneyes

APN Changeryes

Pre-Activated GoPhone SIMProbably as it is not locked to your crappy phone. But why did you buy the crappy GoPhone?

$50 unlimited planNoYou need a Data Feature Plan for smartphoneThis plan is only for "feature phones".  Three choices:  $5-month (10MB-month equiv 50cents-MBmonth), $15-month (100MB-month equiv 15cents-MBmonth) and $25-month ($500MB-month equiv 5cents-MBmonth)

• iphone +apn changer + buy phone free sim card from AT&T store+ 50 dollar unlim data plan: wil it work or not?

iPhoneyes

APN Changeryes

3G SIM from AT&T storeYes, but no needBuy one from eBay at $2.79, shipping includedThat is what I did:

GOTO: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-AT-T-3G-SIM-CARD-NEVER-ACTIVATED-CINGULAR-/350332270081?pt=SIM_Cards&hash=item51916e3601

$50 unlimited planNo. Same answer as aboveUnlimited data applies only to your crappy GoPhone.

• Is there a VOIP restriction or tethering restriction on the unlimited data plan vis a vis my iphone

As your iPhone is unlocked (but not jailbroken) your only limitation are apps downloaded from the Apple StoreIf Apple does not allow the app, you are out of luckSo:

Tethering restriction?:  NoUnlocked, so no problem.

VoIP apps restriction?:  Probably, by Apple not AT&T.

Hope this helpsOne more note (and I hope this post does not get silently removed by a moderator):

When activating your iPhone, use your GoPhone's IMEI (or an IMEI of all zeroes) because the activation process checks to see if the leading eight digits are Apple's Factory ID, and if so it will give you a "try later" errorForever.

This hurdle is only applied by AT&T during iPhone activation, not during iPhone  usage.

But , if you are reusing your crappy phone's SIM card, then you don't even have to bother with the IMEI as the card is already activated with your crappy phone's IMEIAnd you are good-to-go.

But, let be noted, that there is nothing on the Terms and Conditions that restrict the iPhone as a GoPhone.

Hope this helpsHope this answer does not get removedGood luck, student13.

[ Edited ]
8 of 10 (2,597 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2011 4:31:16 PM
(0)
Tutor

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If I pay teh 50 buck , shouldn't I be able to get unlimited data?  as opposed to buying the smartphone data plan How can they tell whether my sim card is being used for a crappy go phone with unlimited data or an iphone that I own I am confused a bit?

If I pay teh 50 buck , shouldn't I be able to get unlimited data?  as opposed to buying the smartphone data plan How can they tell whether my sim card is being used for a crappy go phone with unlimited data or an iphone that I own I am confused a bit?

9 of 10 (2,572 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2011 4:52:47 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by OnlytheShadowKnows on Aug 27, 2011 at 4:57:27 PM

student13 wrote:

student13, because of the IMEI (International Mobile Equipment ID), which is unique to your cellphone.  The IMEI carries on its eight leading digits the identity of Apple, the manufacturer of the iPhone.  They can also tell the identity of the Android smartphones from Samsung, LD, Motorola, etc. 

Once they detect inappropriate use, AT&T will lock your smartphone away from all data use (and anytime you access cellular data via the GPRS radio you will get a notification saying that your plan does not allow data use)

You will not be locked out of unlimited talk/text however.  You will also have WiFi data access, of course.  But have no cellular data access.

student13 wrote:

student13, because of the IMEI (International Mobile Equipment ID), which is unique to your cellphone.  The IMEI carries on its eight leading digits the identity of Apple, the manufacturer of the iPhone.  They can also tell the identity of the Android smartphones from Samsung, LD, Motorola, etc. 

Once they detect inappropriate use, AT&T will lock your smartphone away from all data use (and anytime you access cellular data via the GPRS radio you will get a notification saying that your plan does not allow data use)

You will not be locked out of unlimited talk/text however.  You will also have WiFi data access, of course.  But have no cellular data access.

[ Edited ]
10 of 10 (2,569 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments