Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 23, 2010
12:43:24 PM
View profile
Facetime question

Under settings...phone....I click "on" for facetime but underneath that it reads "waiting for activation"....what does that mean?  Thanks

Under settings...phone....I click "on" for facetime but underneath that it reads "waiting for activation"....what does that mean?  Thanks

Facetime question

15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 12:46:16 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by josephz2va on Jun 23, 2010 at 12:47:25 PM

After adding your iPhone 4 correctly in the iTunes or programming it properly through the AT&T service number, it states "Waiting for Activation" on the lock screen. You need to have five bars 3G and when it states "iPhone is Activated" then you are good to go.

FaceTime would be activated through WiFi connection as it's the only way right now until a few months or years later when AT&T gets their acts together and improves the connectivity to permit mobile FaceTime.

After adding your iPhone 4 correctly in the iTunes or programming it properly through the AT&T service number, it states "Waiting for Activation" on the lock screen. You need to have five bars 3G and when it states "iPhone is Activated" then you are good to go.

FaceTime would be activated through WiFi connection as it's the only way right now until a few months or years later when AT&T gets their acts together and improves the connectivity to permit mobile FaceTime.

Re: Facetime question

[ Edited ]
2 of 16 (5,003 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 12:47:24 PM
(0)
Scholar

what?  I'm on wifi....facetime doesn't work this 3G.  Think we're talking about 2 different things?

what?  I'm on wifi....facetime doesn't work this 3G.  Think we're talking about 2 different things?

3 of 16 (4,984 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 12:48:32 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by josephz2va on Jun 23, 2010 at 12:48:57 PM

Possibly. It could be a ping for FaceTime that's waiting for a second user that hasn't connected to FaceTime before.

Possibly. It could be a ping for FaceTime that's waiting for a second user that hasn't connected to FaceTime before.

[ Edited ]
4 of 16 (4,974 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 12:53:09 PM
(0)
Teacher

josephz2va wrote:

I agree!! Facetime is a iphone 4 to iphone 4 feature you shouldn't be able to turn it on and off wheneve.

josephz2va wrote:

I agree!! Facetime is a iphone 4 to iphone 4 feature you shouldn't be able to turn it on and off wheneve.

5 of 16 (4,943 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 12:54:24 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by dee_bo on Jun 23, 2010 at 12:54:43 PM

have you looked uder...settings...phone???  Right there is a facetime on/off switch and under it says "waiting for activation"

have you looked uder...settings...phone???  Right there is a facetime on/off switch and under it says "waiting for activation"

[ Edited ]
6 of 16 (4,933 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 1:07:10 PM
(0)
Teacher

LOL.

"facetime"

its video chat...just get fring to talk to someone with an Evo or Incredible.

LOL.

"facetime"

7 of 16 (4,889 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 1:10:08 PM
(0)
Contributor

same problem.  I'm on hold with Apple tech support, we'll see if they can figure it out.

I first did a restore from a backup of my old 3G.  Apple told me to do a system restore through Itunes and basically set it back to factory settings.  After going through that process, same problem.  My phone number has been switched from my old Iphone to my Iphone 4 but under Facetime in the phone settings......."waiting for activation"

My wife's Iphone 4 facetime is activated and working fine.

same problem.  I'm on hold with Apple tech support, we'll see if they can figure it out.

I first did a restore from a backup of my old 3G.  Apple told me to do a system restore through Itunes and basically set it back to factory settings.  After going through that process, same problem.  My phone number has been switched from my old Iphone to my Iphone 4 but under Facetime in the phone settings......."waiting for activation"

My wife's Iphone 4 facetime is activated and working fine.

8 of 16 (4,873 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 1:10:41 PM
(0)
Teacher

I see what you mean but under mine it says "your phone number will be shared with people you call with FaceTime". I tried it out with another iPhone 4 we received and it works amazing. Try calling AT&T to see what's up. (Good luck though they might not have much experience with it yet lol)

I see what you mean but under mine it says "your phone number will be shared with people you call with FaceTime". I tried it out with another iPhone 4 we received and it works amazing. Try calling AT&T to see what's up. (Good luck though they might not have much experience with it yet lol)

9 of 16 (4,868 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 1:16:43 PM
(0)
Scholar

MindCtrlPankak wrote:

LOL.

"facetime"

^ Tool

MindCtrlPankak wrote:

LOL.

"facetime"

^ Tool

10 of 16 (4,840 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 1:23:32 PM
(0)
Teacher

dee_bo wrote:

MindCtrlPankak wrote:

LOL.

"facetime"

^ Tool

yer moms a tool. BOOM

dee_bo wrote:

MindCtrlPankak wrote:

LOL.

"facetime"

^ Tool

yer moms a tool. BOOM

11 of 16 (2,194 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 1:23:41 PM
(0)
Explorer

I had the same problem with activation. I went through premier website and activated it. My old phone lost service buy my new phone did not get service. They told me to go to settings>general>reset network settings. It took a few minutes but worked. 

I had the same problem with activation. I went through premier website and activated it. My old phone lost service buy my new phone did not get service. They told me to go to settings>general>reset network settings. It took a few minutes but worked. 

12 of 16 (2,194 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 1:31:58 PM
(0)
Scholar

Tucana wrote:

Thanks man that worked.....

Tucana wrote:

Thanks man that worked.....

13 of 16 (2,182 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 3:49:56 PM
(0)
Contributor

My facetime finally activated.  I recently got rid of my text messaging plan and didn't switch to pay as you go.  this turned off MMS all together and Facetime needs MMS to communicate with other iphone 4's  (and activate).  Hope this helps.

IPHONE 4 IS AMAZING!!!!! FACETIME IS AMAZING!!!!

yeah, I know it's just skype on a cellphone.......but, IT'S SKYPE ON A CELL PHONE!

My facetime finally activated.  I recently got rid of my text messaging plan and didn't switch to pay as you go.  this turned off MMS all together and Facetime needs MMS to communicate with other iphone 4's  (and activate).  Hope this helps.

IPHONE 4 IS AMAZING!!!!! FACETIME IS AMAZING!!!!

yeah, I know it's just skype on a cellphone.......but, IT'S SKYPE ON A CELL PHONE!

14 of 16 (2,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2010 6:55:52 AM
(0)
Tutor

Tried removing the block on text messages and then resetting the network settings but still stuck as "Waiting for activation..."

Tried removing the block on text messages and then resetting the network settings but still stuck as "Waiting for activation..."

15 of 16 (1,854 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2010 8:31:15 AM
(0)
Contributor
I had to have AT&T add MMS back to the line, and then go to general settings and "reset network settings"
I had to have AT&T add MMS back to the line, and then go to general settings and "reset network settings"

16 of 16 (1,819 Views)