FYI "Unknown sources" WILL NOT SHOW on the Samsung Captivate menu

Contributor

FYI "Unknown sources" WILL NOT SHOW on the Samsung Captivate menu

"Unknown sources" will NOT show up on the Samsung Captivate Applications menu but you WILL be able to download and install the store.  Try downloading the store.  If you are blocked, then call AT&T.  Don't expect anyone to know what you're talking about.  Try to stay patient and explain it using the terminology suggested (i.e., Android 3rd party push; unknown sources push) and if you still have no luck, ask to speak to technical support.  Some may be reluctant to send you to tech support...they'll tell you how long they've been working for AT&T and never heard of it; that they can't send anything to your phone; that only Samsung can modify the software, etc....just hang up and call back.  Someone eventually will transfer you to tech support if you are polite and patient. 

Go to http://bizcommunity.att.com/t5/Android/Android-Application-Enablement/td-p/2350 to access their own post about this OTA.  This is in the business equipment and devices forums. 

My tech support person had to communicate with higher level support to get the push to happen, but it did happen! 

Good luck!

Message 1 of 8 (1,336 Views)
Master

Re: FYI "Unknown sources" WILL NOT SHOW on the Samsung Captivate menu

Is there no way for a person to select tech support in the first place when you call customer service?
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 8 (1,330 Views)
Professor

Or you could download an app from the market that allows you to access an internal setting which opens up the feature. Then you will see "Unknown Sources" in your minu options.
Message 3 of 8 (1,319 Views)
Master

RicoLX, care to share? I have not seen that application.
Message 4 of 8 (1,315 Views)
Contributor

Nope...you have to go through the hierarchy and they can be stubborn putting you through to the next level of support.

Message 5 of 8 (1,310 Views)
Professor

Anndroid154 maybe email u . I hate for "att" that supposedly doesnt read or get some sort of feedback from a site with their name and logo plastered all over it, to catch wind of it and get R&D working on ways to block it.
Message 6 of 8 (1,306 Views)
Master

Well it is not like I actually need it for my phone. I kind of need an ATT phone first. Smiley Wink Smiley Very Happy
Message 7 of 8 (1,300 Views)
Professor

Lol I guess that was a paranoidally (word) way of putting it
Message 8 of 8 (1,298 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.