FTC132 activation error for over a week now

FTC132 activation error for over a week now

deactivated and attempted to reactivate my microcell on 10/31/10.  Have not been able to activate since.

it's been a week!  please let me activate my ucell!!!!!!

I've been calling ATT several times a day.  On top of this, I received a phone call that said, "hey your microcell should activate now"  This was on friday.  saturday morning (now) and I still can't activate.

Come on guys!  Allow me to use my cell phone!  

FTC132: The location provided for the AT&T 3G MicroCell device does not appear to be within an area AT&T is authorized to provide service. Please relocate the device, or call 1-800-331-0500 for assistance. [RFS|RegisterFemtocellService|30002100014]

Message 1 of 12 (1,685 Views)
Contributor

Re: FTC132 activation error for over a week now

I have had the same error message for over a week now. I have spoken to four AT&T people, including two technicians and one that hung up on me. They simply just do not know what they are doing. They close the ticket and claim it works, but it doesn't.

How can we FIX this problem QUICKYL? It is hard to run a business without phones that work.

Message 2 of 12 (1,648 Views)
Contributor

I had the same problem for two weeks. What I did was use another address, my sister's address in Atlanta, GA. It worked. Then I add my address as an additional address. It worked. My 3G Microcell works. I am in Jacksonville, FL.....

Message 3 of 12 (1,575 Views)
Voyager

[ Edited ]

"I had the same problem for two weeks. What I did was use another address, my sister's address in Atlanta, GA. It worked. Then I add my address as an additional address. It worked. My 3G Microcell works. I am in Jacksonville, FL....."

Alfbells7,

I have been having the same problem when I try to register my Microcell, FTC132 error.  Your's is the first solution I have seen. I'm sure not getting any help from AT&T. I have a couple of questions before I try it.

I understand that you used your sisters address to complete the on-line registration.  Did you also activate the Microcell at your sisters address?

You say you can "add" another address after you have registered? How do you do that?

Thanks for the info,

Bob

Message 4 of 12 (1,510 Views)
Contributor

SOLVED: FTC132 activation error for over a week now

I had the same issues. After spending hours on the activation screen and nearly 2 hours on the phone with support, they told me they need to open a case to have someone contact me in 3-5 days to help me set up my microcell. I found the AT&T support completely useless.

I began tinkering myself to try to figure out the problem.  I found this website that had solutions for similar problems, but not my exact issue.

http://www.whitneyhoffman.com/2010/07/31/att-microcell-solutions/

I then realized that the device has a GPS built into it, and the reason it can't identify my address may be related to it. I'm not sure exactly why it worked, but after following these steps I could magically activate my device with my own address. I tried many things like entering in random addresses all around the US. I'm in NYC, so there is no reason why my address wouldn't work.

I followed these steps:

1. unplug the network cable and power cable from the microcell for 10 minutes

2. move it to a window or a place with a strong GPS signal

3. If you activated a device already, deactivate it from your account on att.com (in my case, I never got to this point, so no devices were activated)

4. plug in the network cable to the device

5. plug in the power cable to the device

6. wait a few minutes for the lights to stop flashing

7. go to the website and activate the device

I was shocked that this worked after hours of playing with the activation screen. The whole time I just needed to reboot the device and make sure the GPS signal was strong. If you can't get it to work, try moving the device again to a location in your home with a stronger GPS signal. Even try putting it outside if you have to during the setup. After activation, you can move the device where ever you want.

Message 5 of 12 (805 Views)
Teacher

Even though AT&T give you some phony claim that GPS is used to E911 purposes (it does not it will use what ever address you have the device registered to online) the simple reason they put all their customers thru all of this... they are so worried you might take the device outside of the country and use it to make calls and they will not be able to charge you 3 bucks a min for. The Microcells from the other service providers DON'T have this problem as GPS is not in the device... although they can provide E911 services....

They could just block non-US IPs from microcells when they register, but that is not good enough for them...

Message 6 of 12 (786 Views)
Guru

Yes, I'm sure part of it is that AT&T doesn't want to effectively provide free service outside the country, but they also probably are required to insure that they don't allow the Microcell to work in areas WITHIN the US where they don't have licensed spectrum. That, more than anything, is probably why they have to verify location using GPS.

Using IP address geolocation isn't particularly accurate, and can be evaded by using VPNs.

Message 7 of 12 (771 Views)

What he said.  It's not a revenue protection issue, it's a legal/regulatory issue.  They are only allowed to transmit/receive cell signals in certain areas... whether it happens to be one of their own cell towers, or a MicroCell.  And, certainly, outside the USA, all kinds of other legal/regulatory issues come into play.

If you want to make cheap phone calls from overseas get one of the WiFi based calling services like Skype, Line2, etc. etc.

Message 8 of 12 (762 Views)
Teacher

Then explain why the Microcell from Verizion, Sprint, and T-Mobile don't have this "feature".....?

Message 9 of 12 (752 Views)
Guru

My friends have a Verizon one, and it does have a GPS receiver in it.

Message 10 of 12 (742 Views)
ACE - Master

TXCraig wrote:

Then explain why the Microcell from Verizion, Sprint, and T-Mobile don't have this "feature".....?

They all do. For E911 and other reasons.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 11 of 12 (494 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

I believe that Verizon has a GPS feature but does not authenticate using it like AT&T does.

Message 12 of 12 (433 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.