Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 20, 2011
2:30:30 PM
FM radio on the X10

My last 2 SE phones had FM-radio which I enjoy more than mp3 files, as it keeps me updated with local activities/functions, weather, etc.

I just ordered an X10 and now while going through the tutorials, find out that no FM-radio is part of it.  Why did SE decide to exclude it from the X10?  Is there an app to put one in the phone?  If not, what are my options?

thanks.

My last 2 SE phones had FM-radio which I enjoy more than mp3 files, as it keeps me updated with local activities/functions, weather, etc.

I just ordered an X10 and now while going through the tutorials, find out that no FM-radio is part of it.  Why did SE decide to exclude it from the X10?  Is there an app to put one in the phone?  If not, what are my options?

thanks.

FM radio on the X10

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2011 5:54:18 AM
(0)
Teacher

The Xperia X10 is not manufactured with an FM radio.

However,  you can go to the Android Market to download and install the following apps to pretty much cover any 'live' broadcast fix:

1. iheartradio - this will give you access to many, if not all, of the Clear Channel-owned radio stations in major U.S. markets.  Clear Channel is the largest owner/operator of radio stations in the United States
  2. Yahoo! Music Radio - this will give you access to many, if not all, of the CBS-owned radio stations in major U.S. markets.  CBS Radio is the 4th largest owner/operator of radio stations in the United States.
  3. XiiaLive - a fantastic app to access ShoutCast-supported Internet radio stations.

Have fun!

The Xperia X10 is not manufactured with an FM radio.

However,  you can go to the Android Market to download and install the following apps to pretty much cover any 'live' broadcast fix:

1. iheartradio - this will give you access to many, if not all, of the Clear Channel-owned radio stations in major U.S. markets.  Clear Channel is the largest owner/operator of radio stations in the United States
  2. Yahoo! Music Radio - this will give you access to many, if not all, of the CBS-owned radio stations in major U.S. markets.  CBS Radio is the 4th largest owner/operator of radio stations in the United States.
  3. XiiaLive - a fantastic app to access ShoutCast-supported Internet radio stations.

Have fun!

Re: FM radio on the X10

2 of 7 (1,385 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2011 6:20:57 AM
(0)
Master
Tunein application is also available on the Market. I just don't know if it is available for Android 1.6.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Tunein application is also available on the Market. I just don't know if it is available for Android 1.6.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

3 of 7 (1,380 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2011 7:14:54 PM
(0)
Teacher

The only problem with the suggestions, unfortunately, is that it would require constant streaming which would eat up my data plan.  As an example, my last SE phone was a C905.  The FM-radio on it, would play an external speaker for over 8 hrs. continuously before needing a recharge.  And that's only when I want to share the music.  On the occasion that I choose not to, I use the MW600 headset, which has an FM-stereo receiver built into it.

I sure wish they didn't remove from their newer phones.  What a bummer.

The only problem with the suggestions, unfortunately, is that it would require constant streaming which would eat up my data plan.  As an example, my last SE phone was a C905.  The FM-radio on it, would play an external speaker for over 8 hrs. continuously before needing a recharge.  And that's only when I want to share the music.  On the occasion that I choose not to, I use the MW600 headset, which has an FM-stereo receiver built into it.

I sure wish they didn't remove from their newer phones.  What a bummer.

4 of 7 (1,355 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2011 12:42:28 PM
(0)
Teacher

You can always use WiFi to stream in order to bypass your data plan.

Of course that would assume you have access to a WiFi connection wherever you'd want to listen to music.

You can always use WiFi to stream in order to bypass your data plan.

Of course that would assume you have access to a WiFi connection wherever you'd want to listen to music.

5 of 7 (1,319 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2011 10:05:14 AM
(0)
Teacher

SE answer for this is the MW600. Wireless bluetooth headset with an FM radio. I too have always stuck with SE (c905) for the FM radio. What I listen to is not available over the internet. So no matter what phone you get, with this you can have FM. I've seen from $50 to $80.

SE answer for this is the MW600. Wireless bluetooth headset with an FM radio. I too have always stuck with SE (c905) for the FM radio. What I listen to is not available over the internet. So no matter what phone you get, with this you can have FM. I've seen from $50 to $80.

6 of 7 (1,130 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2011 10:15:23 PM
(0)
Teacher

cajun810;

I have the MW600 and had been using it on the 2 prior SE phones I've had.  I do use it on the X10, but there are times when I would prefer an external speaker with an FM radio from the phone.  In fact, I have 3 of the external speaker accessories for the c905, which is useless at this point.

Thanks anyway for responding and offering an alternative.

Wes.

cajun810;

I have the MW600 and had been using it on the 2 prior SE phones I've had.  I do use it on the X10, but there are times when I would prefer an external speaker with an FM radio from the phone.  In fact, I have 3 of the external speaker accessories for the c905, which is useless at this point.

Thanks anyway for responding and offering an alternative.

Wes.

7 of 7 (1,107 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments