FM Radio on Pure and Tilt 2

Scholar

FM Radio on Pure and Tilt 2

Can anyone comment on the FM Radio feature on the Pure or Tilt 2?

Message 1 of 26 (6,896 Views)
Master

Re: FM Radio on Pure and Tilt 2

It requires a wired headset. So I can't test it for you because I don't have any such headset Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 26 (6,874 Views)
Scholar

Actually, I believe you can stick the Stylis into the headphone port of the adapter, and listen to the Radio over the phones speakers...
Message 3 of 26 (6,868 Views)
Master

The dongle/adapter is almost half of the size of the phone. Never even bring it out of its plastic wrapper.
Message 4 of 26 (6,850 Views)
Scholar

I was using this on my Tilt.

http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Stereo-Adapter-T-Mobile-Diamond/dp/B0011WDLES/ref=pd_sbs_a_5

Still, I'll probably pass on an upgrade (one reason the jack) and hold off for WP7 or maybe an Android device before the end of the year. 

Message 5 of 26 (6,835 Views)
Master

Tilt2/Pure already comes with an adapter.
Message 6 of 26 (6,831 Views)
Master

nygman wrote:
Actually, I believe you can stick the Stylis into the headphone port of the adapter, and listen to the Radio over the phones speakers...

Can anybody confirm this? I hate the wired-headset use.

Message 7 of 26 (6,733 Views)
Scholar

If you stick the stylus into the headset adapter, you will be shorting out the positive and negative connections to the headset. I wouldn't attempt it with my $350 phone!
Message 8 of 26 (6,697 Views)
Teacher

I have a wired headset. The wire acts as the antenna just like your home stereo. Once the headset is plugged in you have the option to listen through the headphones or the phones speakers however. I was surprised at how good the radio sounded and it pick up a bunch of stations here.

Message 9 of 26 (6,632 Views)

[ Edited ]
hasen't internal antenna technology come far enough to not require a wired headset... it would be really (really... (really) ) cool if you could listen to the radio from your phone (in your pocket) over bluetooth stereo (or not stereo) headset... come on HTC you got GPS antenna, WiFi, Bluehooth, Phone.. how hard could it be to run (the simpelist of) an internal wire for FM Smiley Indifferent
Message Edited by a4wingedlion on 10-21-2009 09:56:53 AM
Message 10 of 26 (6,455 Views)

What makes you think FM antennas are so simple?  We still need 3 foot aerials on our cars (or wires buried in the windshield), why would it be so easy to stuff that inside a cell phone?
Message 11 of 26 (3,873 Views)

[ Edited ]
Its just a long wire... The 3 foot extendable on your car or buried in the windshield is just for surface area. The same surface area could be achieved by winding around the inside of the casing... The external headphones that you plug up is just a wire (with a capacitor and magnet on the end that serves as the speaker) but as far as the FM is concerned it just needs the surface area to pick up a signal.( similar to the other antenna in your phone)... Now it has been a while since I took an RF class while pursuing my electrical engineering degree at GA tech ..Smiley Wink but I think I remember how it works.. could be wrong though.
Message Edited by a4wingedlion on 10-21-2009 10:38:11 AM
Message 12 of 26 (3,861 Views)
Scholar

Stylus in the headphone jack worked for me... YMMV
Message 13 of 26 (3,840 Views)

The theory is great if you're not wrapping that wire around 4 other RF devices ( GSM, GPS, Wifi, Bluetooth).  I also wonder why nobody has done that wrapping thing in cars, portable radios, etc?  I guess with FM radio being a new technology nobody has ever thought of it before.

Message 14 of 26 (3,825 Views)
Teacher

I hear ya. Just bought a new Denon receiver and it comes with a 4ft wire for the FM antenna
Message 15 of 26 (3,781 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.