Ask a question

Posted Aug 24, 2011
    2:10:09 AM
    View profile
    FINALLY A FIX FOR 4G DEVICES MICROCELL FAILED SMS!!!
    Edited by mrbogusbaxter on Aug 24, 2011 at 2:18:41 AM

OK like most of you who are just about FEDUP with trying to get your microcell device to work properly with your 4G devices.
    I found a fix that not only works like a charm...but delivers text FASTER & at 4G speeds via MICROCELL.
    I am using a SAMSUNG INFUSE and prior to the below. Nearly 1 out of every 4 text messages failed.

First let be known the MICROCELL does not like MOTOROLA cable modems. For some reason it stalls, ATT is aware of this. DOCSIS 3.0 modems is where the problem stems.

THE FIX ---
    CONVERT YOUR MICROCELL TO A WIRELESS MICROCELL

NETGEAR UNIVERSAL WIRELESS ADAPTER  WNCE2001

When hooked directly into this adapter, it handshakes a CLEAN and proper wifi signal.
    NOT only does the MICROCELL connect faster, but it sends and receives faster!
    OR you can also use the NETGEAR ADAPETR as a WIFI bridge to hook into another router...
    in which then you can hook your MICROCELL into the router. That is how I have it hooked up.

I can asure you this will solve all your problems, your FIVE BARS will stay on ALL the time.
    The above spoofs the microcell thinking its communicating with anoher device and not the MOTO MODEM.
    in 72 HOURS, i have yet to get ONE drop, or ONE lost SIGNAL. I have an unlimited DATA plan and have already watched various NETFLIX streaming movies and crystal clear. SMS messaging is BLAZING FAST!

ALSO....another secret.
    CANT GET A IP ADDRESS CONNECTION....OR AWAITING TOO LONG WHEN RESETTING THE MICROCELL.

Speed it up. Have your MICROCELL connected and do a bunch of speedtests at www.speedtest.net
    as this will ignite the MICROCELL to forcefully find an IP address.

This always works for me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

HOPE THIS HELPS.

FINALLY A FIX FOR 4G DEVICES MICROCELL FAILED SMS!!!

[ Edited ]
    22 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (22)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 2, 2011 8:37:49 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

ok I am a little sceptical but willing to try it. I also have an Infuse with a Moto 3.0 CM and irritates the heck out of me with these dropped sms.

So you are saying set up the netgear first then plug in the MC to the netgear? Would any wireless adapter or gaming adapter work?

can you post a picture of your set up?

Re: FINALLY A FIX FOR 4G DEVICES MICROCELL FAILED SMS!!!

2 of 23 (6,979 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 3, 2011 12:31:57 AM
    (0)
    Teacher

GENIOUS !!!!!!!!!! this works like a charm !!!!!!!!!!!!! A thousand thank you's. I have my sanity back

3 of 23 (6,971 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 3, 2011 3:58:09 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

ok after playing around with this for about 10 hours it does work but some text messages still result in a fail. Not NEARLY as many but there is some. Will have to see if I can tweak. Previously I would pretty much not be able to get data in the house because of the moto/MC issue (even though I have wifi obviously) but now that issue is resolved.

I will keep testing

4 of 23 (6,937 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 13, 2011 11:05:27 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

We have horrible AT&T service in my neighborhood with bearly 1 line!  So I got an AT&T MicroCell tower.  Am experiencing delayed outgoing calls, sometimes wait 30 sec. or get dropped!  And have to stay very near to the Microcell to stay connected.  I'm trying to improve my iPhone4 calls and wondered about buying the adapter you suggested.  If I were to buy that, would the Microcell be plugged directly into the adapter and be free and clear (no Ethernet cord) so I can place the MC next to the window?  My desk, etc. is not near a window so if the MC could be closer to the outside, I would hope it might work better.  I have a MacBook Pro, NetGear router and Time Warner Cable internet service (which sometimes blinks out and have to reboot everything including the MicroCell!).  Just looking for the right answer.  Appreciate any advice from someone with the same problem!  Thanks.

5 of 23 (6,758 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 13, 2011 11:37:44 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

jlemma wrote:

We have horrible AT&T service in my neighborhood with bearly 1 line!  So I got an AT&T MicroCell tower.  Am experiencing delayed outgoing calls, sometimes wait 30 sec. or get dropped!  And have to stay very near to the Microcell to stay connected.  I'm trying to improve my iPhone4 calls and wondered about buying the adapter you suggested.  If I were to buy that, would the Microcell be plugged directly into the adapter and be free and clear (no Ethernet cord) so I can place the MC next to the window?  My desk, etc. is not near a window so if the MC could be closer to the outside, I would hope it might work better.  I have a MacBook Pro, NetGear router and Time Warner Cable internet service (which sometimes blinks out and have to reboot everything including the MicroCell!).  Just looking for the right answer.  Appreciate any advice from someone with the same problem!  Thanks.

The MicroCell needs to be near a window (an unobstructed view of the sky) to get a decent GPS lock.  If your TW internet service "blinks out" resulting in a reboot, there's an issue with  your ISP, which can affect the MicroCell. I would try to resolve those two issues first before attempting anything else. There are lots of issues with the MicroCell (and iPhones) so to make it less confusing while your troubleshoot, I'd work on the proper placement of the MicroCell and your ISP first.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 23 (6,753 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 13, 2011 1:42:29 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Thanks for a reply!  I will try to position the Microcell nearer to a window - although I don't know how I will make the ethernet cord reach all the way to my desk/router!  That's why I was hoping having a "wireless" Microcell (without having to use the ethernet cord) which would work.  Anyway, I will try all you suggested and see where it goes from there.  Thanks very much!

7 of 23 (6,743 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 13, 2011 2:06:25 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

jlemma wrote:

Thanks for a reply!  I will try to position the Microcell nearer to a window - although I don't know how I will make the ethernet cord reach all the way to my desk/router!  That's why I was hoping having a "wireless" Microcell (without having to use the ethernet cord) which would work.  Anyway, I will try all you suggested and see where it goes from there.  Thanks very much!

Just get a longer enet cable. There is nothing that says you have to use the length of cable that was supplied but it does say you have to be next to a window.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 23 (6,738 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 13, 2011 3:06:29 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Well, that's good to know.  Thought it had to be the length cable it came with... will definitely buy longer one!!  And will let others know the outcome.  This is such a cool way to get info - thanks for the rapid replies!!

9 of 23 (6,733 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 13, 2011 10:33:14 PM
    (0)
    Scholar
    Home Depot has inexpensive ethernet cables.

10 of 23 (6,719 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 14, 2011 7:08:54 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

well that was short lived.... I am back to getting 4-5 failures for each text sent. Not as much but its certainly back to being a major pain................

11 of 23 (5,474 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 17, 2011 6:31:47 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

Turned out the ethernet cord I had was plenty long enough to reach the window.  I also bought a new Netgear n300 router (mine was a Dell and 8 years old) and it seems to be working better with my MacBookPro - I'm not sure the new router exactly helped the Microcell problem but it should couldn't hurt!  However, I think the key is that I moved the Microcell tower to the window and we believe, after using it a few days, that the connection is better on our iPhones and the delay in dialing outgoing calls is not as bad.  Not perfect, but much/much better.  That is definitely making us happier!!  Thanks for the answers and suggestions!

12 of 23 (5,442 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 17, 2011 1:55:41 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

jlemma wrote:

Turned out the ethernet cord I had was plenty long enough to reach the window.  I also bought a new Netgear n300 router (mine was a Dell and 8 years old) and it seems to be working better with my MacBookPro - I'm not sure the new router exactly helped the Microcell problem but it should couldn't hurt!  However, I think the key is that I moved the Microcell tower to the window and we believe, after using it a few days, that the connection is better on our iPhones and the delay in dialing outgoing calls is not as bad.  Not perfect, but much/much better.  That is definitely making us happier!!  Thanks for the answers and suggestions!

Not to belabor a point but the setup instructions do say to place the MicroCell within 3' of a window that has an unobstructed view of the sky. The new router could have a more current firmware setup that allows for a better connection from your ISP to the MicroCell. I use the AEBS for our MacBooks, iPhones, etc and they all work just fine. Never had a problem with the MicroCell and our iPhones (3G and 4).

13 of 23 (5,431 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 17, 2011 2:08:07 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

I FINALLY FOUND A FIX !!!!!!!!!!!!!! switching to verizon when the version of the Samsung Galaxy S II arrives. They have a nice tower less than a mile from my house. My friend came over with his droid and had FIVE bars in my house.

Goodbye ATT

14 of 23 (5,428 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 18, 2011 5:57:05 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

You're right to "belabour" the point because it's true... although I had to rearrange some furniture to get to the window (which is ok) and we have a yard full of TALL pinetrees without too much sky showing.  But the good news is that it must be pointed in the right direcion as it seems to be working MUCH better!  Keep up the good work of reminding people to READ directions about all the new "stuff" we're always buying to enhance our techie world!  Thanks!

15 of 23 (5,413 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 19, 2011 11:17:27 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

jlemma wrote:

You're right to "belabour" the point because it's true... although I had to rearrange some furniture to get to the window (which is ok) and we have a yard full of TALL pinetrees without too much sky showing.  But the good news is that it must be pointed in the right direcion as it seems to be working MUCH better!  Keep up the good work of reminding people to READ directions about all the new "stuff" we're always buying to enhance our techie world!  Thanks!

Glad it worked out for you. Others still aren't as luckySmiley Sad The device, or lack of support for said device, is abysmal at best.

16 of 23 (5,396 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 21, 2011 11:48:16 AM
    (0)
    Guru

I'm a little confused as to the problem and fix.

I have an MC connected via Ethernet to my Linksys router.  The Linksys router is connected via Ethernet to my Motorola Docsis 3.0 cable modem.

So how does converting to wireless help anything?  Or is this solution for people who had their Microcell connected DIRECTLY to the Motorola cable modem (in priority mode?)  I can understand that if this was the case adding the wireless in the middle solves some kindof ethernet port issue with the cable modem.

Thanks.

17 of 23 (5,367 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 27, 2011 11:04:01 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

I don't see how this is going to fix the problem. The original poster indicated that the Microcell is known to have issues with Motorola cable modems and that connecting the Microcell through a wireless adapter "spoofs" it into thinking it is connecting with a different device. Well, I have an RCA cable modem going to a Linksys WRT54G and the Microcell plugged into that - not a Motorola in sight. I am tempted to swap the Microcell and the router so that the Microcell is connected directly to the cable modem. I'll report back if this helps.

18 of 23 (5,227 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 1, 2011 10:40:48 AM
    (0)
    Mentor

I am confused now .Smiley Sad Is this fix about moving the uCell closer to a window with better sky view or laundering the uCell data packets through a wifi link in direct cable modem configurations?

1- There may be an issue with the uCell MTU being hardset for aDSL (1492) vs. standard ethernet cable (1500) where all packets going out on cable get fragmented. Since the uCell required bandwidth is really low (<1Mb/s) and cable bandwidth is high (>5Mb/s) the MTU setting may be unsignificant for us.

2- There may be also a UDP TimeOut issue in the direct cable modem connection where the modem does not track the UDP connections well and keep droping UDP-4500 forcing the uCell to re-link with the AT&T servers - The best way to go in this case would be to shy away from direct cable modem connection in "uCell priority mode".

Instead do connect the uCell as follow:   <ISP> - - <Modem> - - <Router> - - <uCell>

AT&T CSR like to recommend priority mode so they can rule out all issues with CT private networks by taking it out of the loop. Fortunately regular mom-pop home class firewalls never block outbound traffic, only block unsolicited Inbound traffic to broadcast LAN addresses. As the uCell initiates the traffic to AT&T servers, the Inbound reply packets are always matched to existing connections ie. never a problem.

Live and learn,

SF.

19 of 23 (5,181 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 1, 2011 1:02:30 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

sanfrenchysco wrote:

I am confused now .Smiley Sad Is this fix about moving the uCell closer to a window with better sky view or laundering the uCell data packets through a wifi link in direct cable modem configurations?

2- There may be also a UDP TimeOut issue in the direct cable modem connection where the modem does not track the UDP connections well and keep droping UDP-4500 forcing the uCell to re-link with the AT&T servers - The best way to go in this case would be to shy away from direct cable modem connection in "uCell priority mode".

Instead do connect the uCell as follow:   <ISP> - - <Modem> - - <Router> - - <uCell>

Moving the MicroCell to within 3 feet of a window with an unobstructed view of the sky is not a "fix", it's in the instuctions. Spoofing the data packets may work for some but as most of us have seen, there are lots of ways to get the MicroCell to work if it doesn't work as expected. There are just too many possibilites (ISPs, modems, routers, etc) for the MicroCell to deal with to work reliably for everyone. Bad design on Cisco/AT&Ts part with inadequate field testing done before launch (not to mention very poor or non-existent customer support).

The recommended configuration is: modem -> router -> MicroCell. Again, in the instructions. Priority setup: modem -> MicroCell -> router is for troubleshooting but depending on your home setup, it may be the only way to get it work reliably.

FWIW, out setup is: modem -> router -> MicroCell. The MicroCell sits about 18" from a window with an unobstructed view of the sky and the wireless router is about 2' from the MicroCell. I setup port forwarding with a fixed ip address to the MicroCell. The MicroCell is connected via ethernet and all other connections to our home network are wireless. Phones (iPhone3s, Samsungs, etc) all work without any issues even when streaming movies.

20 of 23 (5,169 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 1, 2011 2:23:11 PM
    (0)
    Mentor
    I don't think Port Forwarding helps anything at all. If you do the down side is that forwarded ports are stuck going only to the uCell and can not be used by other devices....uCell uses UDP-123 so do other devices for NTP.
    Only IPSec needs not to be Disabled in Linksys routers. Others routers don't have this option (always allowed). When this is an issue the uCell just won't connect to AT&T servers or turn on it's "3G-Bars" LED.
    SF

21 of 23 (5,268 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 1, 2011 3:52:28 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

sanfrenchysco wrote:
    I don't think Port Forwarding helps anything at all. If you do the down side is that forwarded ports are stuck going only to the uCell and can not be used by other devices....uCell uses UDP-123 so do other devices for NTP.
    Only IPSec needs not to be Disabled in Linksys routers. Others routers don't have this option (always allowed). When this is an issue the uCell just won't connect to AT&T servers or turn on it's "3G-Bars" LED.
    SF

I agree that one should not have to do port forwarding at all but that's the only way I could get mine to work in March when I lost service all together after AT&T upgraded the network. I've never bothered to change the router settings (Apple Extreme Base Station) because I haven't had any trouble at all since then (even after a few power failures in the neighborhood). There have been no speed hits on my home network (download/upload), streaming movies (even HD) has been trouble-free, and all calls out or in on the cells have been fine, as well as messaging (pics and/or text). So I'm not about to mess around now.

22 of 23 (5,261 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 2, 2011 3:40:28 PM
    (0)
    Mentor

You are right: better safe than sorry. If it works.. don't mess with it.

You seem to be blessed with good uCell service - Let me ask you, did you have any 3G receiption inside your house before you installed that uCell? Are you on the outskirt of coverage or in the middle or a blank coverage zone?

Txs,

SF.

Re: service coverage type

23 of 23 (5,237 Views)