Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 6, 2010
2:36:30 PM
View profile
Experiencing extended MC outage in NC

I have four MC's at three geographically dispersed locations in Wilmington NC all four have solid green lights (LAN, GPS, etc.), except for the a flashing 3G light (bottom LED) and therefore the MC is not providing service to 3G phones local to it..   All these units have been in generally trouble free service for a period of time ranging from 3-6 months, although, I have noticed that they often go off line late at night (midnight - 5am) in what appears to be a reboot which I assumed was routine maintenance or firmware upgrades being pushed out.

Today's problem started sometime this morning (10/6/10).    I've done all the routine santity checking stuff, reboot all internetworking hardware (router, cable modem, etc), power cycle the MC, even placed one MC in from of the router (priority mode).    No joy.   

Have confirmed similar symptoms from one of our offices in Washington DC, so clearly this is a widespread outage of some sort.

I'm just planning on waiting it out and leaving my iPhone near my window so I can pick up 1 bar of signal off the nearest cell tower.  I can't even stomach the thought of calling ATT support, I have chewed up way too many hours dealing with their completely  inept customer support staff, their closing of unresolved tickets, failure to call back as promised, and general run around until you can work your way up to the engineering group.

Sincerly,

Mike Adams

Senior TCP/IP Forensics Engineer

I have four MC's at three geographically dispersed locations in Wilmington NC all four have solid green lights (LAN, GPS, etc.), except for the a flashing 3G light (bottom LED) and therefore the MC is not providing service to 3G phones local to it..   All these units have been in generally trouble free service for a period of time ranging from 3-6 months, although, I have noticed that they often go off line late at night (midnight - 5am) in what appears to be a reboot which I assumed was routine maintenance or firmware upgrades being pushed out.

Today's problem started sometime this morning (10/6/10).    I've done all the routine santity checking stuff, reboot all internetworking hardware (router, cable modem, etc), power cycle the MC, even placed one MC in from of the router (priority mode).    No joy.   

Have confirmed similar symptoms from one of our offices in Washington DC, so clearly this is a widespread outage of some sort.

I'm just planning on waiting it out and leaving my iPhone near my window so I can pick up 1 bar of signal off the nearest cell tower.  I can't even stomach the thought of calling ATT support, I have chewed up way too many hours dealing with their completely  inept customer support staff, their closing of unresolved tickets, failure to call back as promised, and general run around until you can work your way up to the engineering group.

Sincerly,

Mike Adams

Senior TCP/IP Forensics Engineer

78 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(78)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2010 1:59:59 PM
(0)
Mentor
M Cell is out again but it's not flashing. Fantastic. I was in the middle of a business call.
M Cell is out again but it's not flashing. Fantastic. I was in the middle of a business call.

Re: Experiencing extended MC outage in NC

61 of 79 (1,214 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2010 1:29:00 PM
(0)
Mentor
Hmm daytime outage ... to go along with my night time outage last night.
Hmm daytime outage ... to go along with my night time outage last night.

62 of 79 (1,156 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 23, 2010 7:41:48 PM
(0)
Tutor

You all know the problem is going to happen again. I'm expeeriencing this problem now in California. What haven't you made an effort to find out what the problem is and post it?

You all know the problem is going to happen again. I'm expeeriencing this problem now in California. What haven't you made an effort to find out what the problem is and post it?

63 of 79 (1,070 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2010 11:44:19 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Radioplay on Dec 29, 2010 at 11:45:55 PM
 I've made several efforts in the past 9 months to figure out what the problem is with the M Cell.  I don't work for AT&T.  So I don't know what the problem is. 
I've done all that I can on my end:  I've swapped out the M Cell twice (AT&T sent me a broken one the first time).  I've swapped out my modem for a new one (so AT&T can quit blaming my ISP).  I've checked with my ISP to make sure I actually don't have any downtime.  I even run Ping Plotter to look for any down time (none that I see).  I'm using 3 cell phones (different makes/models; so AT&T can't blame all the M Cell issues on my iPhone).  My upload/download speeds are fast (so AT&T can't blame that).  I've changed my ports to what AT&T said to.  I've put the M Cell into Priority Mode. 
When I called AT&T a week ago, one of the reps actually told me "sell the Microcell on eBay and try to get as much money as possible" - that's when I spoke to his supervisor and complained.  That's not the response I'm looking for.  I want real solutions, not ignorance because some phone rep doesn't know why the M Cell doesn't work properly.  Honestly, AT&T has had the M Cell out long enough - they should have answers by now.

I was on the phone once again today wasting my time with another AT&T supervisor who put in yet another ticket with some engineers to find out what the issue is.  The issue is AT&T.  Past that - I don't know.  My ticket resolution is for 3 January.  I doubt I'll have a real solution.  But we'll see.

Oh and as of right now, my M Cell is in Priority Mode -- and has gone out lol
While I was on the phone with this supervisor earlier today, he said "all of the Microcells went out on the east coast -- customers are complaining... we're not sending our technicians out.  It's a matter of safety... and I don't blame them for not wanting to risk their lives just so customers can have their Microcells working..."  I can understand that... however, I can also understand customers wanting service or credits to their accounts.  Ya know?
 I've made several efforts in the past 9 months to figure out what the problem is with the M Cell.  I don't work for AT&T.  So I don't know what the problem is. 
I've done all that I can on my end:  I've swapped out the M Cell twice (AT&T sent me a broken one the first time).  I've swapped out my modem for a new one (so AT&T can quit blaming my ISP).  I've checked with my ISP to make sure I actually don't have any downtime.  I even run Ping Plotter to look for any down time (none that I see).  I'm using 3 cell phones (different makes/models; so AT&T can't blame all the M Cell issues on my iPhone).  My upload/download speeds are fast (so AT&T can't blame that).  I've changed my ports to what AT&T said to.  I've put the M Cell into Priority Mode. 
When I called AT&T a week ago, one of the reps actually told me "sell the Microcell on eBay and try to get as much money as possible" - that's when I spoke to his supervisor and complained.  That's not the response I'm looking for.  I want real solutions, not ignorance because some phone rep doesn't know why the M Cell doesn't work properly.  Honestly, AT&T has had the M Cell out long enough - they should have answers by now.

I was on the phone once again today wasting my time with another AT&T supervisor who put in yet another ticket with some engineers to find out what the issue is.  The issue is AT&T.  Past that - I don't know.  My ticket resolution is for 3 January.  I doubt I'll have a real solution.  But we'll see.

Oh and as of right now, my M Cell is in Priority Mode -- and has gone out lol
While I was on the phone with this supervisor earlier today, he said "all of the Microcells went out on the east coast -- customers are complaining... we're not sending our technicians out.  It's a matter of safety... and I don't blame them for not wanting to risk their lives just so customers can have their Microcells working..."  I can understand that... however, I can also understand customers wanting service or credits to their accounts.  Ya know?

[ Edited ]
64 of 79 (1,028 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2011 8:25:54 AM
(0)
Mentor
I'm guessing there's an outage today. My M Cell has been blinking all morning. I've done all I can with it.

I see a few other states are also having outages.

This is getting so old
I'm guessing there's an outage today. My M Cell has been blinking all morning. I've done all I can with it.

I see a few other states are also having outages.

This is getting so old

65 of 79 (918 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2011 9:11:50 AM
(0)
Tutor

Yep - Out here in Mt Holly, as well.

VERY discouraging for those of us that depend on our premium priced mobile plans for business purposes.  

I suppose it's time to spend another couple of hours on the line with ATT tech support.  Oh wait... I can't call them because I have no coverage in this area.  Smiley Mad

Yep - Out here in Mt Holly, as well.

VERY discouraging for those of us that depend on our premium priced mobile plans for business purposes.  

I suppose it's time to spend another couple of hours on the line with ATT tech support.  Oh wait... I can't call them because I have no coverage in this area.  Smiley Mad

66 of 79 (910 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2011 8:43:31 PM
(0)
Mentor
Thanks for the response ^ it's good to know I'm not the only one who had issues today. My M Cell came back around 1:30pm.

Funny. When I called ATT, they once again blamed my ISP. Go figure. On top of that, I was once again told I should sell my M Cell on eBay. Solid advice!!
Thanks for the response ^ it's good to know I'm not the only one who had issues today. My M Cell came back around 1:30pm.

Funny. When I called ATT, they once again blamed my ISP. Go figure. On top of that, I was once again told I should sell my M Cell on eBay. Solid advice!!

67 of 79 (875 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2011 2:03:55 PM
(0)
Mentor
M Cell has been in and out all day. This is ridiculous.
M Cell has been in and out all day. This is ridiculous.

68 of 79 (826 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2011 11:47:44 AM
(0)
Contributor
Same thing. Something is wrong at the ATT side. I reset my micro-cell several times. Checked Internet connection download speed 15.77mgps. I turned off 3G on my iPhone and I can make calls, without going thru Mcell. Problem had to be on ATT side. Spent 3 hours trying to tell someone with a brain at ATT. THEY finally opened a trouble ticket, so they claim but I never was sent the ticket info by email as they claimed. In a few weeks they might figure it out. Time for Verizon
Same thing. Something is wrong at the ATT side. I reset my micro-cell several times. Checked Internet connection download speed 15.77mgps. I turned off 3G on my iPhone and I can make calls, without going thru Mcell. Problem had to be on ATT side. Spent 3 hours trying to tell someone with a brain at ATT. THEY finally opened a trouble ticket, so they claim but I never was sent the ticket info by email as they claimed. In a few weeks they might figure it out. Time for Verizon

69 of 79 (790 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2011 3:33:03 PM
(0)
Teacher

Having issues here as well in Greenville, NC.  Calls not ringing though.  Dropping calls.  The very things that the MicroCell is supposed to fix, I'm having major issues with.  

Having issues here as well in Greenville, NC.  Calls not ringing though.  Dropping calls.  The very things that the MicroCell is supposed to fix, I'm having major issues with.  

70 of 79 (669 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2011 7:04:51 PM
(0)
Teacher

For what it is worth the MicroCrap is down in NE Wisconsin tonight as well.  Not worth reporting because they won't have a clue and it will be another waste of an hour or so of my time.  

Verizon gets the Iphone on Feb 4.  

For what it is worth the MicroCrap is down in NE Wisconsin tonight as well.  Not worth reporting because they won't have a clue and it will be another waste of an hour or so of my time.  

Verizon gets the Iphone on Feb 4.  

71 of 79 (1,194 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2011 9:42:11 AM
(0)
Explorer
Edited by madams1000 on Jan 19, 2011 at 9:48:17 AM

MC is down in Eastern NC (Wilmington), been down all morning.    iPhone 4 available next month on Verizon.  Goodbye ATT.  As a network engineer, I've never seen such incompetence as with ATT tech support. 

As always they blame my internet connection and when I point out that I'm speaking to them over Skype using the same connection they continue to point the finger at the ISP despite addtional imperical data to the contrary (ping, tracerroute, sniffer traces), I ask them to provide imperical data that it is in fact my ISP and get a "we can't do that" response.  They even had the audacity (ignorance) to say that my Juniper Router is not supported, really, a mainstream commercial/enterprise class router, geez.   I gave up at that point. 

MC is down in Eastern NC (Wilmington), been down all morning.    iPhone 4 available next month on Verizon.  Goodbye ATT.  As a network engineer, I've never seen such incompetence as with ATT tech support. 

As always they blame my internet connection and when I point out that I'm speaking to them over Skype using the same connection they continue to point the finger at the ISP despite addtional imperical data to the contrary (ping, tracerroute, sniffer traces), I ask them to provide imperical data that it is in fact my ISP and get a "we can't do that" response.  They even had the audacity (ignorance) to say that my Juniper Router is not supported, really, a mainstream commercial/enterprise class router, geez.   I gave up at that point. 

[ Edited ]
72 of 79 (1,163 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2011 11:14:36 AM
(0)
Teacher

madams, I feel your frustration.  I too work in IT, and it irritates me to no end when I call in for MicroCell support, and AT&T wants to walk me through the reboot, and then the re-provisioning of my MicroCell.  It's not even worth the 45 minutes of my time to call them when I know it is not the MicroCell, and it's not my ISP.  

It's clearly the back end infrastructure that AT&T has built to support the MicroCell.  

madams, I feel your frustration.  I too work in IT, and it irritates me to no end when I call in for MicroCell support, and AT&T wants to walk me through the reboot, and then the re-provisioning of my MicroCell.  It's not even worth the 45 minutes of my time to call them when I know it is not the MicroCell, and it's not my ISP.  

It's clearly the back end infrastructure that AT&T has built to support the MicroCell.  

73 of 79 (1,146 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2011 2:12:08 AM
(0)
Mentor

Just out of curiosity, why has this thread been marked as "resolved"?  Was it resolved because we all figured out that AT&T cannot fix the M Cell issues that they've created?

Just out of curiosity, why has this thread been marked as "resolved"?  Was it resolved because we all figured out that AT&T cannot fix the M Cell issues that they've created?

74 of 79 (1,058 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2011 2:24:06 AM
(0)
Mentor
M Cell has been out off and on saturday afternoon and all night long. Still out as of 5:23am. Fantastic...
M Cell has been out off and on saturday afternoon and all night long. Still out as of 5:23am. Fantastic...

75 of 79 (920 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2011 11:03:08 PM
(0)
Mentor

Augh!!  Microcell has been out all evening.  No surprise.  Just thought I'd post for the heck of it.

Augh!!  Microcell has been out all evening.  No surprise.  Just thought I'd post for the heck of it.

76 of 79 (803 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2011 4:14:27 AM
(0)
Contributor

Is anyone else experiencing service outages in Western NC?  For the last two days the Microcell has been up and down.  Power cycling and reactivating don't seem to work this time.    

Is anyone else experiencing service outages in Western NC?  For the last two days the Microcell has been up and down.  Power cycling and reactivating don't seem to work this time.    

77 of 79 (580 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2011 1:18:49 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm down all day here in Winston-Salem.  I've tried the same deactivating and reactivating with no success.

I'm down all day here in Winston-Salem.  I've tried the same deactivating and reactivating with no success.

78 of 79 (521 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2011 6:26:15 AM
(0)
Contributor

Still down today in W-S, NC.  Anyone else?

Still down today in W-S, NC.  Anyone else?

79 of 79 (486 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments