Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 6, 2010
2:36:30 PM
View profile
Experiencing extended MC outage in NC

I have four MC's at three geographically dispersed locations in Wilmington NC all four have solid green lights (LAN, GPS, etc.), except for the a flashing 3G light (bottom LED) and therefore the MC is not providing service to 3G phones local to it..   All these units have been in generally trouble free service for a period of time ranging from 3-6 months, although, I have noticed that they often go off line late at night (midnight - 5am) in what appears to be a reboot which I assumed was routine maintenance or firmware upgrades being pushed out.

Today's problem started sometime this morning (10/6/10).    I've done all the routine santity checking stuff, reboot all internetworking hardware (router, cable modem, etc), power cycle the MC, even placed one MC in from of the router (priority mode).    No joy.   

Have confirmed similar symptoms from one of our offices in Washington DC, so clearly this is a widespread outage of some sort.

I'm just planning on waiting it out and leaving my iPhone near my window so I can pick up 1 bar of signal off the nearest cell tower.  I can't even stomach the thought of calling ATT support, I have chewed up way too many hours dealing with their completely  inept customer support staff, their closing of unresolved tickets, failure to call back as promised, and general run around until you can work your way up to the engineering group.

Sincerly,

Mike Adams

Senior TCP/IP Forensics Engineer

I have four MC's at three geographically dispersed locations in Wilmington NC all four have solid green lights (LAN, GPS, etc.), except for the a flashing 3G light (bottom LED) and therefore the MC is not providing service to 3G phones local to it..   All these units have been in generally trouble free service for a period of time ranging from 3-6 months, although, I have noticed that they often go off line late at night (midnight - 5am) in what appears to be a reboot which I assumed was routine maintenance or firmware upgrades being pushed out.

Today's problem started sometime this morning (10/6/10).    I've done all the routine santity checking stuff, reboot all internetworking hardware (router, cable modem, etc), power cycle the MC, even placed one MC in from of the router (priority mode).    No joy.   

Have confirmed similar symptoms from one of our offices in Washington DC, so clearly this is a widespread outage of some sort.

I'm just planning on waiting it out and leaving my iPhone near my window so I can pick up 1 bar of signal off the nearest cell tower.  I can't even stomach the thought of calling ATT support, I have chewed up way too many hours dealing with their completely  inept customer support staff, their closing of unresolved tickets, failure to call back as promised, and general run around until you can work your way up to the engineering group.

Sincerly,

Mike Adams

Senior TCP/IP Forensics Engineer

Experiencing extended MC outage in NC

78 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(78)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2010 3:23:25 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am experiencing the exact same problem, here in western NC.  Late Monday night the 3G light started flashing, and was not resolved with power cycling the unit or the router and modem. It came back up at some point several hours later during the middle of the night and was up for most of the day on Tuesday, but my iPhone could not establish a connection to the voice mail system.

It went offline again this morning and has remained offline all day. I tried placing the MicroCell in the router's DMZ, no luck there either. If I understand correctly, the MicroCell establishes a VPN connection to AT&T and there's nothing in my network environment that would prevent that. It has been working pretty much unattended for several months, up until Monday.

There's apparently a problem upstream from us, or maybe a firmware update bombed out?

I am experiencing the exact same problem, here in western NC.  Late Monday night the 3G light started flashing, and was not resolved with power cycling the unit or the router and modem. It came back up at some point several hours later during the middle of the night and was up for most of the day on Tuesday, but my iPhone could not establish a connection to the voice mail system.

It went offline again this morning and has remained offline all day. I tried placing the MicroCell in the router's DMZ, no luck there either. If I understand correctly, the MicroCell establishes a VPN connection to AT&T and there's nothing in my network environment that would prevent that. It has been working pretty much unattended for several months, up until Monday.

There's apparently a problem upstream from us, or maybe a firmware update bombed out?

Re: Experiencing extended MC outage in NC

2 of 79 (3,318 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2010 3:28:16 PM
(0)
Explorer
My MC is also down here in Cary, NC
My MC is also down here in Cary, NC

3 of 79 (3,315 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2010 3:46:24 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by nsayer on Oct 6, 2010 at 3:46:48 PM

So I while I can understand that they never promised 9 9s of reliability with the microcell, but if the outages are occurring regularly enough that AT&T really ought to add some sort of 'system status' indication to the microcell management UI.

Something like this:

It's the sort of thing that should be de rigueur for any Internet based service in this day and age, and yet AT&T doesn't have it.

So I while I can understand that they never promised 9 9s of reliability with the microcell, but if the outages are occurring regularly enough that AT&T really ought to add some sort of 'system status' indication to the microcell management UI.

Something like this:

It's the sort of thing that should be de rigueur for any Internet based service in this day and age, and yet AT&T doesn't have it.

[ Edited ]
4 of 79 (3,308 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2010 3:49:02 PM
(0)
Tutor

Mine is also down in Apex and it has been since Monday sometime.  On the phone to AT&T now.

Mine is also down in Apex and it has been since Monday sometime.  On the phone to AT&T now.

5 of 79 (3,304 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2010 3:56:03 PM
(0)
Tutor

Support said that the servers supporting Microcell operations across the Carolinas are experiencing some sort of Internet connectivity issue.  He said that he expects a resolution in 12-18 hours.

We shall see.  I am not going to hold my breath.

Support said that the servers supporting Microcell operations across the Carolinas are experiencing some sort of Internet connectivity issue.  He said that he expects a resolution in 12-18 hours.

We shall see.  I am not going to hold my breath.

6 of 79 (3,300 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2010 5:46:06 PM
(0)
Contributor

Try deactivating and reactivating. You will need your SN, so copy and paste it when you deactivate it.

Try deactivating and reactivating. You will need your SN, so copy and paste it when you deactivate it.

7 of 79 (3,235 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2010 5:50:49 PM
(0)
Tutor

MC service out here in Mt Holly, NC, as well.  Was on with AT&T tech support for nearly 1.5 hours booting and rebooting my iphones... odd.   I finally convinced my tech that I was NOT at all connected to the 3GMCell with my iphone - that was the problem!  Arrrgh!

Have tried several power cycles to no avail.  Tried two full disconnect/reconnects thru the at&t MC settings page.  about ten minutes into the activation process I receive the message on my MC settings page:

FTC193: Please allow up to 90 minutes for device activation to complete. If 90 minutes has expired, please attempt to power cycle your 3G MicroCell (Unplug the power adapter from the wall outlet, wait 10 seconds, then plug it back in). If the error persists select "Disconnect Your 3G MicroCell Device" on the Manage MicroCell Settings page and attempt Online Registration again. If the problem persists, please call 1-800-331-0500. 

What a relief (sorta) to come to these boards and see that there is an area outage.  My fingers are crossed that service will be restored soon!

MC service out here in Mt Holly, NC, as well.  Was on with AT&T tech support for nearly 1.5 hours booting and rebooting my iphones... odd.   I finally convinced my tech that I was NOT at all connected to the 3GMCell with my iphone - that was the problem!  Arrrgh!

Have tried several power cycles to no avail.  Tried two full disconnect/reconnects thru the at&t MC settings page.  about ten minutes into the activation process I receive the message on my MC settings page:

FTC193: Please allow up to 90 minutes for device activation to complete. If 90 minutes has expired, please attempt to power cycle your 3G MicroCell (Unplug the power adapter from the wall outlet, wait 10 seconds, then plug it back in). If the error persists select "Disconnect Your 3G MicroCell Device" on the Manage MicroCell Settings page and attempt Online Registration again. If the problem persists, please call 1-800-331-0500. 

What a relief (sorta) to come to these boards and see that there is an area outage.  My fingers are crossed that service will be restored soon!

8 of 79 (3,233 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2010 8:22:13 PM
(0)
Contributor
Same here in Mount Airy NC. Haven't had any MC coverage all day. Haven't tried calling support and after checking the posts here, I'm glad didn't.
Same here in Mount Airy NC. Haven't had any MC coverage all day. Haven't tried calling support and after checking the posts here, I'm glad didn't.

9 of 79 (3,161 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2010 8:22:29 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by tmay on Oct 6, 2010 at 8:23:36 PM

Also experiencing outage in eastern NC (Nash County) beginning today.  Multiple resets with no results. Even tried connecting DSL modem -->MCell -->computer without re-establishing service

Also experiencing outage in eastern NC (Nash County) beginning today.  Multiple resets with no results. Even tried connecting DSL modem -->MCell -->computer without re-establishing service

[ Edited ]
10 of 79 (3,161 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2010 8:26:16 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by wirelesroute on Oct 6, 2010 at 8:33:44 PM

I am in Cary, NC 27519. I've also been experiancing this issue. Began late last night. I power cycled the MicroCell and it was working again.

This morning was offline and was offline a large part of the day. Power cycled it numerous times no luck.

Had this unit since July, haven't had an outage this long since. Smiley Mad

I am guessing AT&T engineers don't know what they are doing with an outage this long or this MC is not high priority.

Still down as of 11:35 PM EST Wednesday 10-6-2010

I am in Cary, NC 27519. I've also been experiancing this issue. Began late last night. I power cycled the MicroCell and it was working again.

This morning was offline and was offline a large part of the day. Power cycled it numerous times no luck.

Had this unit since July, haven't had an outage this long since. Smiley Mad

I am guessing AT&T engineers don't know what they are doing with an outage this long or this MC is not high priority.

Still down as of 11:35 PM EST Wednesday 10-6-2010

[ Edited ]
11 of 79 (1,197 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2010 9:45:10 PM
(0)
Contributor

Mine just came back online a few minutes ago. Up and running....for now.

Mine just came back online a few minutes ago. Up and running....for now.

12 of 79 (1,166 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2010 3:46:06 AM
(0)
Explorer
Back online here in Cary as well
Back online here in Cary as well

13 of 79 (1,143 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2010 3:57:31 AM
(0)
Teacher

Mine is back online this morning as well

Mine is back online this morning as well

14 of 79 (1,141 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2010 4:12:08 AM
(0)
Tutor

Received an "activation complete" confirmation email this morning at about 12:30.  Looks like we're back up and running, too!

Smiley Happy

Received an "activation complete" confirmation email this morning at about 12:30.  Looks like we're back up and running, too!

Smiley Happy

15 of 79 (1,136 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2010 7:22:47 AM
(0)
Explorer

Thanks for all the updates.   Mine was resusucitated about 0600 this morning.

Thanks for all the updates.   Mine was resusucitated about 0600 this morning.

16 of 79 (1,107 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2010 1:15:54 PM
(0)
Tutor

I am also experiencing the same outage here in upper Wake Forest, NC 27587 since about Monday/Tuesday 10/04 10/05.  I've notice everyone seems to be up, I'm currently in the process of reactivating my 3GMC.  I'll updated as soon as I'm up too...

I am also experiencing the same outage here in upper Wake Forest, NC 27587 since about Monday/Tuesday 10/04 10/05.  I've notice everyone seems to be up, I'm currently in the process of reactivating my 3GMC.  I'll updated as soon as I'm up too...

17 of 79 (1,074 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2010 9:25:20 AM
(0)
Tutor

Excellent... After about 12 hours, I'm up but is anyone experiencing "degraded" voice quality???

Excellent... After about 12 hours, I'm up but is anyone experiencing "degraded" voice quality???

18 of 79 (1,018 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2010 9:51:02 AM
(0)
Explorer
Edited by madams1000 on Oct 8, 2010 at 9:51:40 AM

I had service most of yesterday.  But today I have 'all solid greens', full M-Cell signal, but I have not been able to get a phone call (or texts) off for the last 6 hours.   

[begin rant]

I'm a network engineer,  I understand that outages occur, but what I find preposterous is how poor ATT is at customer service.   I've always subscribed to the notion, that all things being equal, an informed customer is a happier customer.  I've consistently found with my customer base that even if I don't have an ETA on problem resolution, just acknowledging that I know about the problem and that we are working on it goes a long way; I find most customers very understanding when you are honest with them.    But this deny, deny, deny cr@p is really destroying ATT's credibility.    i used to think ATT just had poor internal communications, but now I think it's more that they really just don't care.

The old Lily Tomlin's saying on the sitcom 'Laugh In' comes to mind.   "We're the phone company, we don't have to care"

[end rant]

I had service most of yesterday.  But today I have 'all solid greens', full M-Cell signal, but I have not been able to get a phone call (or texts) off for the last 6 hours.   

[begin rant]

I'm a network engineer,  I understand that outages occur, but what I find preposterous is how poor ATT is at customer service.   I've always subscribed to the notion, that all things being equal, an informed customer is a happier customer.  I've consistently found with my customer base that even if I don't have an ETA on problem resolution, just acknowledging that I know about the problem and that we are working on it goes a long way; I find most customers very understanding when you are honest with them.    But this deny, deny, deny cr@p is really destroying ATT's credibility.    i used to think ATT just had poor internal communications, but now I think it's more that they really just don't care.

The old Lily Tomlin's saying on the sitcom 'Laugh In' comes to mind.   "We're the phone company, we don't have to care"

[end rant]

[ Edited ]
19 of 79 (1,016 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2010 10:09:43 AM
(0)
Contributor

Yep, mine is down again. You would think with the years of being the exclusive carrier of the madly popular iPhone they could have re-invested tons of capital back into their network, but it's terrible. Looks like a Droid-X and Verizon are in my immediate future.

Yep, mine is down again. You would think with the years of being the exclusive carrier of the madly popular iPhone they could have re-invested tons of capital back into their network, but it's terrible. Looks like a Droid-X and Verizon are in my immediate future.

20 of 79 (1,011 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2010 10:14:09 AM
(0)
Explorer

Verizon is no better.  We use them for our work phones.

Verizon is no better.  We use them for our work phones.

21 of 79 (1,329 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2010 10:33:02 AM
(0)
Guru

madams1000 wrote:

I've always subscribed to the notion, that all things being equal, an informed customer is a happier customer.  I've consistently found with my customer base that even if I don't have an ETA on problem resolution, just acknowledging that I know about the problem and that we are working on it goes a long way; 

Too true. Just compare and contrast how Apple dealt with the "Death Touch" iphone 4 issue. Within 20 days Apple held a press conference where they explained the problem, the scope of it, and outlined their plan to address it. Regardless of whether or not you were convinced that Apple was right, they at least said something. Some of us have experienced crappy microcell performance for six months now and AT&T has yet to even provide their front line tech support staff with a straight story, so far as I can tell.

madams1000 wrote:

I've always subscribed to the notion, that all things being equal, an informed customer is a happier customer.  I've consistently found with my customer base that even if I don't have an ETA on problem resolution, just acknowledging that I know about the problem and that we are working on it goes a long way; 

Too true. Just compare and contrast how Apple dealt with the "Death Touch" iphone 4 issue. Within 20 days Apple held a press conference where they explained the problem, the scope of it, and outlined their plan to address it. Regardless of whether or not you were convinced that Apple was right, they at least said something. Some of us have experienced crappy microcell performance for six months now and AT&T has yet to even provide their front line tech support staff with a straight story, so far as I can tell.

22 of 79 (1,320 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2010 11:09:29 AM
(0)
Tutor

I'm in Merritt NC and had the same outage.  I'm back up now but I used to see AT&T Extend on my phone, now I just see AT&T which is confusing because now I'm not sure if I'm connected to the MC or a Tower.

I'm in the IT business and after spending about a half hour on the phone with a tech I realized he was just going through a troubleshooting check list and had no idea of what the problem might be. He finally started a ticket on this but I never heard back from him.  I was surprised at how much time he was willing to spend on the problem but it seems that AT&T must have known about this problem but never clued in their techs - what a waste of money on their part.

I'm in Merritt NC and had the same outage.  I'm back up now but I used to see AT&T Extend on my phone, now I just see AT&T which is confusing because now I'm not sure if I'm connected to the MC or a Tower.

I'm in the IT business and after spending about a half hour on the phone with a tech I realized he was just going through a troubleshooting check list and had no idea of what the problem might be. He finally started a ticket on this but I never heard back from him.  I was surprised at how much time he was willing to spend on the problem but it seems that AT&T must have known about this problem but never clued in their techs - what a waste of money on their part.

23 of 79 (1,249 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2010 7:28:51 PM
(0)
Tutor

Same here, I'm in lower Granville County edging Wake Forest (27587) and I've been down today no fault of my own.  AT&T come on, let's GET THERE, be pro-active with these large area outages, txt me, email me, heaven forbid call me, just do something to let me know what in the H E L L is going on.

Same here, I'm in lower Granville County edging Wake Forest (27587) and I've been down today no fault of my own.  AT&T come on, let's GET THERE, be pro-active with these large area outages, txt me, email me, heaven forbid call me, just do something to let me know what in the H E L L is going on.

24 of 79 (1,163 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2010 3:51:40 PM
(0)
Mentor
Another outage? My microcell has been out for the past 90 minutes. I can't dial out or receive calls on any of my cells. Eventually the my cells went from thr MCell bars to "searching" sigh
Another outage? My microcell has been out for the past 90 minutes. I can't dial out or receive calls on any of my cells. Eventually the my cells went from thr MCell bars to "searching" sigh

25 of 79 (1,073 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2010 4:25:38 PM
(0)
Explorer

Yep, another outage here in Cary.  Unreal.

Yep, another outage here in Cary.  Unreal.

26 of 79 (1,066 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2010 4:56:21 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am in the Cary area as well and I have to walk to the street to get any service with out the micro cell.  I am becoming very frustrated with the device

I am in the Cary area as well and I have to walk to the street to get any service with out the micro cell.  I am becoming very frustrated with the device

27 of 79 (1,044 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2010 4:59:47 PM
(0)
Explorer

Confirming.  Having the same problem in Wilmington NC and also in our offce in Reston Va.

Confirming.  Having the same problem in Wilmington NC and also in our offce in Reston Va.

28 of 79 (1,041 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2010 5:15:18 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yep - 4th such outage this month!  We are out here in Mt Holly, NC.  Very, Very disappointing!

Yep - 4th such outage this month!  We are out here in Mt Holly, NC.  Very, Very disappointing!

29 of 79 (1,037 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2010 5:50:34 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by nhorn on Oct 20, 2010 at 5:52:01 PM

Here in Emerald Isle, and yes I am out also, first post here, just signed up, after a completely inept customer service id!ot could not help me for almost 2 hours of me with my problem, she finally said... 'oh looks like there is an outage in your area' seems to me she should have looked at that first.  *bangs head on desk*

this is my second device, already returned the first after having it for 2 months... and that was 2 months ago.  I think I might have a pattern going here, I really hope not.  I have NO service at home without the MCell.  No signal not even if I leave it sitting on a window casing... I have to walk towards the highway, 200-300 yards outside.  Not happy. (Had phone before I moved here a year ago)

I really hope they can resolve this, soon, but I feel I am asking too much.

I have a feeling I will be paying the early disconnect fee cause I think I made a mistake leaving sprint.  The Iphone is not that great of a phone and the HTC EVO is simply impressive as my roommate has one and he has service in the house... *bangs head on desk* 

Smiley Sad

ok so I said this was  my first post and I get this message before post:

The message body contains the following prohibited content: id!ot. You must remove this content before submitting your post.

hysterical Smiley Very Happy

nelle

Here in Emerald Isle, and yes I am out also, first post here, just signed up, after a completely inept customer service id!ot could not help me for almost 2 hours of me with my problem, she finally said... 'oh looks like there is an outage in your area' seems to me she should have looked at that first.  *bangs head on desk*

this is my second device, already returned the first after having it for 2 months... and that was 2 months ago.  I think I might have a pattern going here, I really hope not.  I have NO service at home without the MCell.  No signal not even if I leave it sitting on a window casing... I have to walk towards the highway, 200-300 yards outside.  Not happy. (Had phone before I moved here a year ago)

I really hope they can resolve this, soon, but I feel I am asking too much.

I have a feeling I will be paying the early disconnect fee cause I think I made a mistake leaving sprint.  The Iphone is not that great of a phone and the HTC EVO is simply impressive as my roommate has one and he has service in the house... *bangs head on desk* 

Smiley Sad

ok so I said this was  my first post and I get this message before post:

The message body contains the following prohibited content: id!ot. You must remove this content before submitting your post.

hysterical Smiley Very Happy

nelle

[ Edited ]
30 of 79 (1,035 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments