Experiencing extended MC outage in NC

Explorer

Experiencing extended MC outage in NC

I have four MC's at three geographically dispersed locations in Wilmington NC all four have solid green lights (LAN, GPS, etc.), except for the a flashing 3G light (bottom LED) and therefore the MC is not providing service to 3G phones local to it..   All these units have been in generally trouble free service for a period of time ranging from 3-6 months, although, I have noticed that they often go off line late at night (midnight - 5am) in what appears to be a reboot which I assumed was routine maintenance or firmware upgrades being pushed out.

Today's problem started sometime this morning (10/6/10).    I've done all the routine santity checking stuff, reboot all internetworking hardware (router, cable modem, etc), power cycle the MC, even placed one MC in from of the router (priority mode).    No joy.   

Have confirmed similar symptoms from one of our offices in Washington DC, so clearly this is a widespread outage of some sort.

I'm just planning on waiting it out and leaving my iPhone near my window so I can pick up 1 bar of signal off the nearest cell tower.  I can't even stomach the thought of calling ATT support, I have chewed up way too many hours dealing with their completely  inept customer support staff, their closing of unresolved tickets, failure to call back as promised, and general run around until you can work your way up to the engineering group.

Sincerly,

Mike Adams

Senior TCP/IP Forensics Engineer

Message 1 of 79
Explorer

Re: Experiencing extended MC outage in NC

Thanks for all the updates.   Mine was resusucitated about 0600 this morning.

Message 16 of 79

I am also experiencing the same outage here in upper Wake Forest, NC 27587 since about Monday/Tuesday 10/04 10/05.  I've notice everyone seems to be up, I'm currently in the process of reactivating my 3GMC.  I'll updated as soon as I'm up too...

Message 17 of 79

Excellent... After about 12 hours, I'm up but is anyone experiencing "degraded" voice quality???

Message 18 of 79
Explorer

I had service most of yesterday.  But today I have 'all solid greens', full M-Cell signal, but I have not been able to get a phone call (or texts) off for the last 6 hours.   

[begin rant]

I'm a network engineer,  I understand that outages occur, but what I find preposterous is how poor ATT is at customer service.   I've always subscribed to the notion, that all things being equal, an informed customer is a happier customer.  I've consistently found with my customer base that even if I don't have an ETA on problem resolution, just acknowledging that I know about the problem and that we are working on it goes a long way; I find most customers very understanding when you are honest with them.    But this deny, deny, deny cr@p is really destroying ATT's credibility.    i used to think ATT just had poor internal communications, but now I think it's more that they really just don't care.

The old Lily Tomlin's saying on the sitcom 'Laugh In' comes to mind.   "We're the phone company, we don't have to care"

[end rant]

Message 19 of 79
Contributor

Yep, mine is down again. You would think with the years of being the exclusive carrier of the madly popular iPhone they could have re-invested tons of capital back into their network, but it's terrible. Looks like a Droid-X and Verizon are in my immediate future.

Message 20 of 79
Explorer

Verizon is no better.  We use them for our work phones.

Message 21 of 79
Highlighted
Guru

madams1000 wrote:

I've always subscribed to the notion, that all things being equal, an informed customer is a happier customer.  I've consistently found with my customer base that even if I don't have an ETA on problem resolution, just acknowledging that I know about the problem and that we are working on it goes a long way; 

Too true. Just compare and contrast how Apple dealt with the "Death Touch" iphone 4 issue. Within 20 days Apple held a press conference where they explained the problem, the scope of it, and outlined their plan to address it. Regardless of whether or not you were convinced that Apple was right, they at least said something. Some of us have experienced crappy microcell performance for six months now and AT&T has yet to even provide their front line tech support staff with a straight story, so far as I can tell.

Message 22 of 79
Tutor

I'm in Merritt NC and had the same outage.  I'm back up now but I used to see AT&T Extend on my phone, now I just see AT&T which is confusing because now I'm not sure if I'm connected to the MC or a Tower.

I'm in the IT business and after spending about a half hour on the phone with a tech I realized he was just going through a troubleshooting check list and had no idea of what the problem might be. He finally started a ticket on this but I never heard back from him.  I was surprised at how much time he was willing to spend on the problem but it seems that AT&T must have known about this problem but never clued in their techs - what a waste of money on their part.

Message 23 of 79

Same here, I'm in lower Granville County edging Wake Forest (27587) and I've been down today no fault of my own.  AT&T come on, let's GET THERE, be pro-active with these large area outages, txt me, email me, heaven forbid call me, just do something to let me know what in the H E L L is going on.

Message 24 of 79
Mentor

Another outage? My microcell has been out for the past 90 minutes. I can't dial out or receive calls on any of my cells. Eventually the my cells went from thr MCell bars to "searching" sigh
Message 25 of 79
Explorer

Yep, another outage here in Cary.  Unreal.

Message 26 of 79
Contributor

I am in the Cary area as well and I have to walk to the street to get any service with out the micro cell.  I am becoming very frustrated with the device

Message 27 of 79
Explorer

Confirming.  Having the same problem in Wilmington NC and also in our offce in Reston Va.

Message 28 of 79

Yep - 4th such outage this month!  We are out here in Mt Holly, NC.  Very, Very disappointing!

Message 29 of 79
Tutor

Here in Emerald Isle, and yes I am out also, first post here, just signed up, after a completely inept customer service id!ot could not help me for almost 2 hours of me with my problem, she finally said... 'oh looks like there is an outage in your area' seems to me she should have looked at that first.  *bangs head on desk*

this is my second device, already returned the first after having it for 2 months... and that was 2 months ago.  I think I might have a pattern going here, I really hope not.  I have NO service at home without the MCell.  No signal not even if I leave it sitting on a window casing... I have to walk towards the highway, 200-300 yards outside.  Not happy. (Had phone before I moved here a year ago)

I really hope they can resolve this, soon, but I feel I am asking too much.

I have a feeling I will be paying the early disconnect fee cause I think I made a mistake leaving sprint.  The Iphone is not that great of a phone and the HTC EVO is simply impressive as my roommate has one and he has service in the house... *bangs head on desk* 

Smiley Sad

ok so I said this was  my first post and I get this message before post:

The message body contains the following prohibited content: id!ot. You must remove this content before submitting your post.

hysterical Smiley Very Happy

nelle
Message 30 of 79
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support