Helpful Links

Experiencing extended MC outage in NC

Highlighted
Explorer

Experiencing extended MC outage in NC

I have four MC's at three geographically dispersed locations in Wilmington NC all four have solid green lights (LAN, GPS, etc.), except for the a flashing 3G light (bottom LED) and therefore the MC is not providing service to 3G phones local to it..   All these units have been in generally trouble free service for a period of time ranging from 3-6 months, although, I have noticed that they often go off line late at night (midnight - 5am) in what appears to be a reboot which I assumed was routine maintenance or firmware upgrades being pushed out.

Today's problem started sometime this morning (10/6/10).    I've done all the routine santity checking stuff, reboot all internetworking hardware (router, cable modem, etc), power cycle the MC, even placed one MC in from of the router (priority mode).    No joy.   

Have confirmed similar symptoms from one of our offices in Washington DC, so clearly this is a widespread outage of some sort.

I'm just planning on waiting it out and leaving my iPhone near my window so I can pick up 1 bar of signal off the nearest cell tower.  I can't even stomach the thought of calling ATT support, I have chewed up way too many hours dealing with their completely  inept customer support staff, their closing of unresolved tickets, failure to call back as promised, and general run around until you can work your way up to the engineering group.

Sincerly,

Mike Adams

Senior TCP/IP Forensics Engineer

Message 1 of 79
Contributor

Re: Experiencing extended MC outage in NC

I am experiencing the exact same problem, here in western NC.  Late Monday night the 3G light started flashing, and was not resolved with power cycling the unit or the router and modem. It came back up at some point several hours later during the middle of the night and was up for most of the day on Tuesday, but my iPhone could not establish a connection to the voice mail system.

It went offline again this morning and has remained offline all day. I tried placing the MicroCell in the router's DMZ, no luck there either. If I understand correctly, the MicroCell establishes a VPN connection to AT&T and there's nothing in my network environment that would prevent that. It has been working pretty much unattended for several months, up until Monday.

There's apparently a problem upstream from us, or maybe a firmware update bombed out?

Message 2 of 79
Explorer

My MC is also down here in Cary, NC
Message 3 of 79
Guru

So I while I can understand that they never promised 9 9s of reliability with the microcell, but if the outages are occurring regularly enough that AT&T really ought to add some sort of 'system status' indication to the microcell management UI.

Something like this:

It's the sort of thing that should be de rigueur for any Internet based service in this day and age, and yet AT&T doesn't have it.

Message 4 of 79
Tutor

Mine is also down in Apex and it has been since Monday sometime.  On the phone to AT&T now.

Message 5 of 79
Tutor

Support said that the servers supporting Microcell operations across the Carolinas are experiencing some sort of Internet connectivity issue.  He said that he expects a resolution in 12-18 hours.

We shall see.  I am not going to hold my breath.

Message 6 of 79
Contributor

Try deactivating and reactivating. You will need your SN, so copy and paste it when you deactivate it.

Message 7 of 79

MC service out here in Mt Holly, NC, as well.  Was on with AT&T tech support for nearly 1.5 hours booting and rebooting my iphones... odd.   I finally convinced my tech that I was NOT at all connected to the 3GMCell with my iphone - that was the problem!  Arrrgh!

Have tried several power cycles to no avail.  Tried two full disconnect/reconnects thru the at&t MC settings page.  about ten minutes into the activation process I receive the message on my MC settings page:

FTC193: Please allow up to 90 minutes for device activation to complete. If 90 minutes has expired, please attempt to power cycle your 3G MicroCell (Unplug the power adapter from the wall outlet, wait 10 seconds, then plug it back in). If the error persists select "Disconnect Your 3G MicroCell Device" on the Manage MicroCell Settings page and attempt Online Registration again. If the problem persists, please call 1-800-331-0500. 

What a relief (sorta) to come to these boards and see that there is an area outage.  My fingers are crossed that service will be restored soon!

Message 8 of 79
Contributor

Same here in Mount Airy NC. Haven't had any MC coverage all day. Haven't tried calling support and after checking the posts here, I'm glad didn't.
Message 9 of 79
Tutor

Also experiencing outage in eastern NC (Nash County) beginning today.  Multiple resets with no results. Even tried connecting DSL modem -->MCell -->computer without re-establishing service

Message 10 of 79
Teacher

I am in Cary, NC 27519. I've also been experiancing this issue. Began late last night. I power cycled the MicroCell and it was working again.

This morning was offline and was offline a large part of the day. Power cycled it numerous times no luck.

Had this unit since July, haven't had an outage this long since. Smiley Mad

I am guessing AT&T engineers don't know what they are doing with an outage this long or this MC is not high priority.

Still down as of 11:35 PM EST Wednesday 10-6-2010

Message 11 of 79
Contributor

Mine just came back online a few minutes ago. Up and running....for now.

Message 12 of 79
Explorer

Back online here in Cary as well
Message 13 of 79
Teacher

Mine is back online this morning as well

Message 14 of 79

Received an "activation complete" confirmation email this morning at about 12:30.  Looks like we're back up and running, too!

Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 79
Share this topic
Announcements

iPhone 8 and 8 Plus is Here! Learn What’s New and How to Order

The Apple Watch Series 3 is Here! Learn how to have the freedom to go with just your watch!

The iPhone X (10) is on it's way!

Additional Support