Excited about unexpected upgrade to Iphone 4s, to find out it doesn't exist.

Contributor

Excited about unexpected upgrade to Iphone 4s, to find out it doesn't exist.

I made the mistake of leaving my Iphone for the Samsung Infuse and now regret it.  I called Customer Support to see how to go about switching back to my old Iphone 3gs until upgrade time rolled around again.  They were more than helpful in getting this done for me, but then they threw me a loop.  The rep said you know you can upgrade to the new Iphone 4s and I said that I had looked at it, but was not willing to spend $450 to upgrade right now.  She was like, Oh no you don't have to wait, you as a loyal customer can upgrade right now for the $199 that everybody pays.  I asked her to check that again and she said Yes, you can upgrade as our way of saying thanks for being a loyal customer.

I got all excited about this and went to my Local Att store and told them I wanted this special upgrade.  They told me it would be $450.  I explained to them that their Customer Support was the one that informed me of this special upgrade and that it was suppose to be $199.  They said NO, they failed to inform you of the $250 early upgrade fee, so this is what you will have to pay.

Came home and called Customer support again and reached a very nice lady who unfortuantely I don't remember her name. She went through the notes left on my account and said she didn't know why this other Rep had offered me this deal.  She went through 2 different supervisors to try and get this resolved.  Unfortunately, it turns out that Customer Service reps can say anything they want to you, but ATT doesn't have to agree with it or honor it.  I was very nicely informed that I would have to wait until my upgrade time.

Normally this wouldn't have bothered me, but when I called the first time, I wasn't looking to upgrade. It was the ATT rep that brought this up and offered it to me.  Now I got all stoked about getting this new gem, to find out that it's not going to happen. 

I am a Manager in retail and deal with customer issues all the time.  If we tell somebody something, then we have to honor it.  If one of my part timers tells a customer something, then we have to honor it.  It is our way of showing the customer that we care about them and that their business is important to us.   I have found today that AT&T doesn't share the same feelings toward their customers.  

I will say that the rep I talked to today was more than willing to try and help me.  She apologized over and over again and I didn't take it out on her, cause she wasn't the one to blame.  She did everything she possibly could to get AT&T to honor what they had told me.  She was actually devastated that she couldn't help.  There are some bright spots with ATT, but they have lost me as a customer (not that they care)  I will just wait out my time until the contract ends and go elsewhere since the Iphone is no longer sold only by AT&T.

Message 1 of 11 (1,061 Views)
Scholar

Re: Excited about unexpected upgrade to Iphone 4s, to find out it doesn't exist.

You should of ordered it over the phone with the Rep lol

and said you would pay the balance on ur next statement I wonder if

the 4S would of arrived? Smiley LOL

btw why don't you just sell a few old phones and get the 4S

I can't vouch more then enough but the 4S is a awesome phone

and this is coming from me a wee girl here in the United kingdom Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 11 (1,009 Views)
Professor

Re: Excited about unexpected upgrade to Iphone 4s, to find out it doesn't exist.

sorry the rep did not tell you the whole story.

Message 3 of 11 (1,003 Views)
Teacher

Deja Vu for me. You just wrote my story! The exact same thing happened to me in November, 2010!

I kept complaining about it to no avail. My early upgrade came around in February, 2011 and I got my new discounted iPhone but only then.

AT&T will NEVER support a customer no matter how much we help them profit over the years. NEVER BELIEVE a Customer Care Rep, either. They are either misinformed, confused or full of XXXX when they go out of policy and promise you the world. President Reagan had it right when dealing with the Russians - this applies to AT&T Customer Care today - Trust  BUT  Verify.

Now, all you AT&T Kool-Aid drinkers, don't jump in with your rants about how AT&T subsidizes iPhones, blah, blah. This is about a company failing to honor the promises their agents and supervisors make and then break!

Message 4 of 11 (988 Views)
Former Employee

I'm Russian!

Message 5 of 11 (975 Views)
ACE - Professor

The upgrade date for every user is shown on their mywireless page. It's the same for everyone - 20 months

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/upgrade-advantage.jsp

All you have to do is remember when you got your last phone, and count forward 20 months from there. A cave man could do it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 11 (947 Views)
Contributor

Maybe so but I'm willing to bet that SOMEONE at AT&T could get around that if they really had a reason too. You know?

Message 7 of 11 (935 Views)
Scholar

The Employee was mis-informed

I exspect he/she would have been tapped on the wrist for telling you that!

all you can do is if you want the phone so badley is sell your other phone and cough

up the rest of the cash and buy one from Apple, no network will give you a upgrade early the options wwould be to get another line or sell your phone thats what I was told by Vodafone UK buying out your existing contract is another option but

considering how high the plans are for you americans I wouldn't bother Smiley Happy

it may suck but you have options now AT&T don't care if you do the above

sell phone etc so do it Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 11 (924 Views)
ACE - Professor

ConnieL4193 wrote:

Maybe so but I'm willing to bet that SOMEONE at AT&T could get around that if they really had a reason too. You know?

There would be no reason, since there is no documentation that it happened. If you had put an order in, at that moment, with the rep noting your account that you got the super secret just for you offer, and THEN you got charged - yeah, that would be a reason.

Otherwise, no, not very likely.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 9 of 11 (917 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

ConnieL4193 wrote:

I bet if the CEO of AT&T told an underling to unlock someone's phone, they would find a way to do it, but that is probably not going to happen.  I doubt that any CS rep or anyone at an AT&T store actually have the capability to unlock an iPhone.

It's sad that an official AT&T rep promised the OP something that they couldn't deliver.

Message 10 of 11 (881 Views)
Scholar

Something similar just happened to me with Virgin Media here in UK
I had tv channels added to my package free no message advising me they were
Free till after Xmas I actually rang up a out it and a advisor told me they were a bonus added free onto my subscription so I was happy then fri just gone channels all gone rang up told they were only free till jan 7th and the advisor admitted I was lied to I'm not happy ringing retentions I think later lol

Not the firstime Virgin have mucked me about either this means war Smiley Wink
Message 11 of 11 (685 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.