Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 1, 2012
7:29:47 AM
View profile
Exchange account ONLY works while on wi-fi network

This started happening about a month ago. Up until then, my work email, calendar, contacts, tasks all synced perfectly on 3G and wi-fi (3GS, then iPhone 4). Now syncing only occurs while I'm at work, at home or on another wi-fi network. Which means my iPhone is completely useless in the field, where I need access to all these things on my iPhone the most.

I worked with IT to troubleshoot this and was informed that this was an AT&T issue and that it caused them to switch everyone of the IT-serviced iPhones and Blackberries from AT&T to Verizon. Can anybody verify this? At first blush, you think IT is making an excuse, but then you remember that AT&T is doing everything it can to preserve bandwidth (e.g. throttling data on its unlimited plans), and it makes you think.

The point of having an iPhone and paying for a 3G data plan is to have access to this information.

This started happening about a month ago. Up until then, my work email, calendar, contacts, tasks all synced perfectly on 3G and wi-fi (3GS, then iPhone 4). Now syncing only occurs while I'm at work, at home or on another wi-fi network. Which means my iPhone is completely useless in the field, where I need access to all these things on my iPhone the most.

I worked with IT to troubleshoot this and was informed that this was an AT&T issue and that it caused them to switch everyone of the IT-serviced iPhones and Blackberries from AT&T to Verizon. Can anybody verify this? At first blush, you think IT is making an excuse, but then you remember that AT&T is doing everything it can to preserve bandwidth (e.g. throttling data on its unlimited plans), and it makes you think.

The point of having an iPhone and paying for a 3G data plan is to have access to this information.

Exchange account ONLY works while on wi-fi network

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2012 10:24:25 AM
(0)
Former Employee

canobeano wrote:

I suspect your IT folks are blowing smoke. Many AT&T employees carry corporate provided iphones and blackberries and do the exact same thing you do with email, calendars and contacts. AT&T also uses exchange and there are no problems accessing the exchange servers over the cellular network. My money would be on your IT folks have changed something.

canobeano wrote:

I suspect your IT folks are blowing smoke. Many AT&T employees carry corporate provided iphones and blackberries and do the exact same thing you do with email, calendars and contacts. AT&T also uses exchange and there are no problems accessing the exchange servers over the cellular network. My money would be on your IT folks have changed something.

Re: Exchange account ONLY works while on wi-fi network

2 of 4 (665 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2012 6:24:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

canobeano wrote:

Mine works fine - and has on two different corporate Exchange accounts. Your IT people are incompetent, or AT&T has blacklisted them for spam. You should be on an enterprise data plan (per the TOS) although I've not really seen this enforced.

Are you connecting to Exchange? Are you using the OWA connection (you should)?

What data plan are you on?

canobeano wrote:

Mine works fine - and has on two different corporate Exchange accounts. Your IT people are incompetent, or AT&T has blacklisted them for spam. You should be on an enterprise data plan (per the TOS) although I've not really seen this enforced.

Are you connecting to Exchange? Are you using the OWA connection (you should)?

What data plan are you on?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 4 (641 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2012 2:04:21 AM
(0)
Employee
Do you use port 25? I think its blocked
Do you use port 25? I think its blocked
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 4 (616 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments