Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 25, 2008
11:30:51 AM
Eternity -- Calibration

While playing around with the phone, I came across the "Calibration" feature on the phone (No I did not read through the instructions first....I'm one of those who plays around with the phone to learn how to use it).  So since I did not calibrate the phone myself, I decided to try it.  At first I did not think it was working, because as I tapped the little cursor, nothing happened.  Although I did get it to work, but I had to tap the cursor several times before it would move.  Now according to Samsung who I emailed, they said you are suppose to use the STYLUS when calibrating the device. However, my phone did not come with one of those.  I guess my question is:  Has anyone else calibrated their phone after using it for a few days and if they have, did they have to TAP the little cursor over and over to get it to move?

While playing around with the phone, I came across the "Calibration" feature on the phone (No I did not read through the instructions first....I'm one of those who plays around with the phone to learn how to use it).  So since I did not calibrate the phone myself, I decided to try it.  At first I did not think it was working, because as I tapped the little cursor, nothing happened.  Although I did get it to work, but I had to tap the cursor several times before it would move.  Now according to Samsung who I emailed, they said you are suppose to use the STYLUS when calibrating the device. However, my phone did not come with one of those.  I guess my question is:  Has anyone else calibrated their phone after using it for a few days and if they have, did they have to TAP the little cursor over and over to get it to move?

Eternity -- Calibration

16 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(16)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2008 11:36:04 AM
(0)
Scholar
I tried to calibrate the screen too (I just got it today and I am the same way you are..play around with it until you figure it out) but it wouldn't move even after like ten presses.
I tried to calibrate the screen too (I just got it today and I am the same way you are..play around with it until you figure it out) but it wouldn't move even after like ten presses.

Re: Eternity -- Calibration

2 of 17 (10,520 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2008 11:41:09 AM
(0)
Teacher
OK....That is exactly what happened with me, so perhaps all is normal.
OK....That is exactly what happened with me, so perhaps all is normal.

3 of 17 (10,517 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2008 11:53:40 AM
(0)
Scholar
Yeah. My screens been really accurate though, so Im not too worried. How do you like the phone so far?
Yeah. My screens been really accurate though, so Im not too worried. How do you like the phone so far?

4 of 17 (10,513 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2008 12:00:04 PM
(0)
Teacher

So far I love it!  Just trying to make sure it works like it should. 

So far I love it!  Just trying to make sure it works like it should. 

5 of 17 (10,511 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2008 12:00:58 PM
(0)
Scholar
Yeahh. I was having problems syncing it to my computer earlier, but I finally got it haha.
Yeahh. I was having problems syncing it to my computer earlier, but I finally got it haha.

6 of 17 (10,509 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2008 12:38:51 PM
(0)
Teacher
I have had the eternity for a week now and so calibratiohn is very frustrating. It takes me like 15 taps to calibrate every time so i'm assuming  this is normal
I have had the eternity for a week now and so calibratiohn is very frustrating. It takes me like 15 taps to calibrate every time so i'm assuming  this is normal

7 of 17 (10,489 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2008 1:31:44 PM
(0)
Scholar
I just went into the calibration menu again, and I used my microSD card reader to tap the little buttons, and It worked fine. You can use pretty much anything to touch the screen since it is resistive.
I just went into the calibration menu again, and I used my microSD card reader to tap the little buttons, and It worked fine. You can use pretty much anything to touch the screen since it is resistive.

8 of 17 (10,481 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2008 11:29:55 PM
(0)
Scholar
Calibration is not necessary however, if you feel the need to calibrate, use a stylus.
Calibration is not necessary however, if you feel the need to calibrate, use a stylus.

9 of 17 (10,378 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2009 9:17:17 PM
(0)
Contributor
I calibrated holding it in landscape position, using my thumbs, since that's what I use when I'm texting.
I calibrated holding it in landscape position, using my thumbs, since that's what I use when I'm texting.

10 of 17 (9,769 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 25, 2009 7:31:27 AM
(0)
Contributor

It doesn't matter how many times I tap it or where I tap it or how hard I tap it.  I usually takes anywhere from 20-30 taps to get the button to move.  The directions on screen say "tap the center of the target.  Repeat at the target moves."  So I tapped the center once and waited for the target to move... I'm still waiting... two weeks later....

I've had this phone for over a month and my conclusion is that it is LAME.  Poorly designed.  The menus lock up and are generally slow.  Trying to tap a button nearly twice the width of my finger simply results in frustratingly chasing the menu around the screen.  Can't access most features when your in a call (I bought this phone thinking I would use the calendar feature, put my entire calendar in it... then a client called and asked for an appointment on a certain day... I had to hang up just to see if I had an opening, Lame, Lame, frustratingly Lame.  No way to back up your contacts or calendars (the backup feature in Samsung's own downloadable software DOES NOT FUNCTION WITH THE ETERNITY.

Contacted Samsung about these issues...  They did respond with the statement that none of these issues would be addressed... LAME LAME LAME!

The last time I buy a Samsung product... But then again, who makes a phone that's not all about stupid time wasting apps and is actually a solid communication tool?  We are all to blame for that, I suppose.

It doesn't matter how many times I tap it or where I tap it or how hard I tap it.  I usually takes anywhere from 20-30 taps to get the button to move.  The directions on screen say "tap the center of the target.  Repeat at the target moves."  So I tapped the center once and waited for the target to move... I'm still waiting... two weeks later....

I've had this phone for over a month and my conclusion is that it is LAME.  Poorly designed.  The menus lock up and are generally slow.  Trying to tap a button nearly twice the width of my finger simply results in frustratingly chasing the menu around the screen.  Can't access most features when your in a call (I bought this phone thinking I would use the calendar feature, put my entire calendar in it... then a client called and asked for an appointment on a certain day... I had to hang up just to see if I had an opening, Lame, Lame, frustratingly Lame.  No way to back up your contacts or calendars (the backup feature in Samsung's own downloadable software DOES NOT FUNCTION WITH THE ETERNITY.

Contacted Samsung about these issues...  They did respond with the statement that none of these issues would be addressed... LAME LAME LAME!

The last time I buy a Samsung product... But then again, who makes a phone that's not all about stupid time wasting apps and is actually a solid communication tool?  We are all to blame for that, I suppose.

11 of 17 (3,291 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2009 9:10:33 AM
(0)
Scholar
seeing as though this is one of the best reviewed phones offered by AT&T you might try calling the warranty dept. before you give up on it.  Trust me I am coming from the phone they called Quickfire, the eternity sounds like a miraculous life saver even WITH the prob's you described.  Just look around the forums, and you will see the eternity is on here fewer times with major problems than any other touchscreen phone and less than most non-touchscreens too
seeing as though this is one of the best reviewed phones offered by AT&T you might try calling the warranty dept. before you give up on it.  Trust me I am coming from the phone they called Quickfire, the eternity sounds like a miraculous life saver even WITH the prob's you described.  Just look around the forums, and you will see the eternity is on here fewer times with major problems than any other touchscreen phone and less than most non-touchscreens too

12 of 17 (3,254 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2009 12:22:40 PM
(0)
Contributor
I found the calibration resolved a lot of my typos.  When I first started using the Eternity, I had a hard time with pressing what I thought was the right key but the wrong letter coming up on the screen (using the qwerty keyboard).  The calibration required about a dozen taps, often in the same spot repeatedly, but the haptics confirmed that it received my tap so I would guess that it was simply learning the tolerance level for repeated taps to the same spot.  I am sure I have fat fingers, but it helps that the device is willing to work with me!
I found the calibration resolved a lot of my typos.  When I first started using the Eternity, I had a hard time with pressing what I thought was the right key but the wrong letter coming up on the screen (using the qwerty keyboard).  The calibration required about a dozen taps, often in the same spot repeatedly, but the haptics confirmed that it received my tap so I would guess that it was simply learning the tolerance level for repeated taps to the same spot.  I am sure I have fat fingers, but it helps that the device is willing to work with me!

13 of 17 (3,097 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2009 9:11:09 PM
(0)
Teacher

I calibrated mines wit a q-tip!

I calibrated mines wit a q-tip!

14 of 17 (3,062 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2010 9:48:32 AM
(0)
Contributor

Well, I used to love my Samsung Eternity, now the last 2-3 months, it's calibration is HORRIBLE!  At times I can't even reply to a text because the calibration is so bad that, the incorrect keys or icons are entered!  This is so frustrating!  Yeah I tried the calibration feature, it never works!  I can never get the litte red X to move!  I tried tapping with a stylus that I had from an old phone!  That does not work!  Then all of a sudden it will work for a few calls or texts, and the again it's back to it's calibration problem.!!   I can't do anything with it, cause it's so bad, and of course this happens exactly after 1 year and what 4 months.  So the warranty is expired, and my phone is a piece of crap!   If any one knows how to fix this, it would be appreciated.  Yeah I know, the fix to dump this piece of garbage, I will never buy a Samsung again! Smiley Mad

Well, I used to love my Samsung Eternity, now the last 2-3 months, it's calibration is HORRIBLE!  At times I can't even reply to a text because the calibration is so bad that, the incorrect keys or icons are entered!  This is so frustrating!  Yeah I tried the calibration feature, it never works!  I can never get the litte red X to move!  I tried tapping with a stylus that I had from an old phone!  That does not work!  Then all of a sudden it will work for a few calls or texts, and the again it's back to it's calibration problem.!!   I can't do anything with it, cause it's so bad, and of course this happens exactly after 1 year and what 4 months.  So the warranty is expired, and my phone is a piece of crap!   If any one knows how to fix this, it would be appreciated.  Yeah I know, the fix to dump this piece of garbage, I will never buy a Samsung again! Smiley Mad

15 of 17 (1,330 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2011 11:35:28 AM
(0)
Contributor

I know what you mean.....good phone at first-then crap. Will not-can not calibrate at all...taped the damm thing one solid hour with no luck---third time I have tried to calibrate this phone (wife's phone) unable to use the "4" on the key pad. the little "x" just will not move. NO MORE SAMSUNGie things here.

I know what you mean.....good phone at first-then crap. Will not-can not calibrate at all...taped the damm thing one solid hour with no luck---third time I have tried to calibrate this phone (wife's phone) unable to use the "4" on the key pad. the little "x" just will not move. NO MORE SAMSUNGie things here.

16 of 17 (720 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2011 12:42:12 PM
(0)
Former Moderator

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multipleposts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

17 of 17 (717 Views)