Estimated Change Log For Android 2.3.6 update Galaxy S II

Mentor

Estimated Change Log For Android 2.3.6 update Galaxy S II

Hi,

No one yet on this forum has made a list of the changes that 2.3.6 brings versus 2.3.4, so I'll start one here. I'm not claiming credit on this as anything other than digging around. I found a couple of changes myself, but just gathered up the rest by reading a lot of comments and posts all around the web. I'm not sure why Samsung and AT&T make us guess at this stuff, they should just post it as plain as day when the update is ready.

So, here's the supposed partial changelog.

Android 2.3.6 (on Galaxy S II, AT&T)

- update is pushed out in stages, regions, etc, but not everyone sees it at the same time

- KK6 modem

- Rooted phones with deleted bloatware often fail during upload
- Some stock phones fail during bootloader, stuck on "SOFTWARE UPDATE Loading". See below
- Battery life reported to drop (wifi wakening issue), symptom: big Android OS battery use
- Bluetooth HID reportedly broken
- updates Gmail to the current version
- bootloader updated
- touchscreen more accurate, reported by some
- smoother screen motion reported by some
- lockscreen security issue fixed (pattern was easily bypassed if you knew how)
- deliberately disabled home button double tap to launch VLingo voice control
- added task manager to 'long-press-home' recent apps popup
- overscroll bounce replaced by blue glow because of Apple lawsuit.
- browser scrolling no longer locks to a vertical or horizontal plane

If you are stuck during update, "SOFTWARE UPDATE Loading" visit this help from IronJ221 in post #22:
http://forums.att.com/t5/Samsung/Samsung-Galaxy-S2-SGH-i777-2-3-6-OTA-update-now-live/td-p/2996495/p...

See message #83 by Entropy512 for more info on how bad wifi management can eat your battery:
http://forums.att.com/t5/Samsung/Samsung-Galaxy-S2-SGH-i777-2-3-6-OTA-update-now-live/td-p/2996495/p...

If you have noted other changes, please add them to the thread.

Message 1 of 7 (2,850 Views)
Master

Re: Estimated Change Log For Android 2.3.6 update Galaxy S II

you forgot the real reason AT&T releases 2.3.6 for GS2: fixed AP Mobile data usage bug.

Message 2 of 7 (2,810 Views)
Highlighted
Mentor

Great. That bug was a battery drain/data hog for many, earning top negative honors at XDA dev dot com.

Message 3 of 7 (2,704 Views)

I wouldn't exactly say it got top negative honors - it was easy as pie to nuke if you were rooted, so devs didn't really get bothered that much by it.

Stuff like the UCKK6 wifi compatibility and BT-AMP rapid interrupt problems - THAT sort of hard-to-fix stuff gets top negative honors.

Message 4 of 7 (2,660 Views)
Contributor

Entropy512 wrote:it.

Stuff like the UCKK6 wifi compatibility and BT-AMP rapid interrupt problems - THAT sort of hard-to-fix stuff gets top negative honors.

So, Entropy. I assume the UCKK6 is to be avoided? Unless one wants to install the old modem package? 

Message 5 of 7 (2,268 Views)

[ Edited ]

Actually the UCKK6 modem is fine - most people seem to think it's better, I think it's improved too.

Something in the userland firmware (/system) is broken - even with the same kernel, UCKK6 can go nuts with battery drain on wifi when UCKH7 works fine.  Might be the wifi chipset firmware, haven't tried swapping it to see what happens, I've been busy.

Message 6 of 7 (2,239 Views)
Contributor

Entropy512 wrote:

Actually the UCKK6 modem is fine - most people seem to think it's better, I think it's improved too.

Something in the userland firmware (/system) is broken - even with the same kernel, UCKK6 can go nuts with battery drain on wifi when UCKH7 works fine.  Might be the wifi chipset firmware, haven't tried swapping it to see what happens, I've been busy.

Thanks Entropy. I am at 2.3.4 as per your method posted on xda, and for what I have read 2.3.6 is a bag full of trouble. Likely not worth the trouble for the few bug fixes it adresses...

Message 7 of 7 (2,232 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.