Ask a question

Posted Oct 15, 2010
10:10:11 AM
View profile
Erroneous Data Charges on non smart phone

On my husbands Samsung SGH-A867 (eternity) we got a text saying we have gone over the limit on our data plan.  On his phone, we do not have a data plan or ever use it.  The other night, my son wanted to check his email really quick while we were not at home.  This was very quick...maybe 5 minutes.  We now have $50 MediaNet charge of SENT......39 megs...WTH.  #1 why is it 39 megs, #2 why does it show SENT, nothing was SENT.  ATT service rep was very nice and is supposed to credit me the $40 and only charge me $10 for a data plan this one time.  BUT how are they calculating internet use?  I have a friend with an iPhone that over the last week, her usage has skyrocketed for no reason and has LOTS of MEGS (50, 70, 30 all at one time) being sent in the middle of the night and lots of other iphone users are having the same issue.  

Are others besides iphone or smartphone users having this issue?  Seems to me ATT is calculating data charges very differently.

Erroneous Data Charges on non smart phone

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2010 8:58:53 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Per review of my current on-line data usage details, the recent amounts appear reasonable based on my historical usage.  But I use the built-in e-mail client on my Nokia E70, rather than using web-based access to the e-mail account, and I tend to average about 15 MB/month using e-mail all day long every day.  (I don't do much browsing with my phone.)

I'm glad to hear the customer service rep graciously corrected the data charge; your situation certainly serves as a good example of the justification generally used for a distinction between smartphones and feature phone/QMDs in terms of the required data plans and allotments being nonsense.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Erroneous Data Charges on non smart phone

2 of 8 (2,230 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2010 11:21:43 AM
(0)
Master

Seriously, why don't you do a little search on the forums instead of treading over the same tired ground?  That middle of the name data surge is, in most cases, an AGGREGATION of data used over a day or day(s).  Data does not always register immediately, and will not in all cases show up in your usage stats for a couple of days.

3 of 8 (2,221 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2010 12:26:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hme83 on Oct 16, 2010 at 12:44:31 PM

BrianfromNO wrote:

Seriously, why don't you do a little search on the forums instead of treading over the same tired ground?  That middle of the name data surge is, in most cases, an AGGREGATION of data used over a day or day(s).  Data does not always register immediately, and will not in all cases show up in your usage stats for a couple of days.

That has not been my experience, at least other than in cases where I've recently been roaming and using data on another carrier's network.  Generally speaking, my on-line data records are kept pretty current.

For example, I just looked at my own activity per at&t's on-line account current data usage - the most recent records are from last night:

Per at&t OLAM:

10-15-10 8:00 p.m. 9 KB sent

10-15-10 6:47 p.m. 59 KB sent

Per my phone's data usage log:

10-15-10 8:00 p.m. 1 KB sent, 7 KB received

10-15-10 6:47 p.m. 54 KB sent, 4 KB received

At&t's OLAM indicates everything as being "sent" even though it is a combination of sending & receiving.  For the 8:00 p.m. record, I checked my e-mail account for the final time last night using the built-in e-mail client on my Nokia E70.  The 6:47 p.m. record was a combination of my checking e-mail and responding to one.  In both cases, the at&t record of my data usage is one KB higher than my phone's log shows for the usage - I would imagine this occurs as at&t rounds usage up to the next KB for their record keeping/billing purposes.

And I have not used my phone for data services since 8:00 p.m. last night - so my OLAM usage is 100% up to date at the moment. Smiley Happy

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
4 of 8 (2,213 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2010 1:42:25 PM
(0)
Tutor

Just so you know BrianfromNO, I DID do research on this. Everything I found was regarding smart phones!  My question was how can a less than a 10 minute look at email rack up $50 and 39 meg download. This was in ONE DAY, not an AGGREGATION of data over a couple days! This would take a couple hours on Edge network.  I have an iPhone and don't even use 39megs in ONE DAY! So don't get your panties all tied up in a wad...it was a simple question.

5 of 8 (2,199 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2010 4:49:21 PM
(0)
Master

Sorry, but something's not adding up.  Did your son download picture/video, or follow a link to YouTube?  AT&T doesn't manufacture data usage stats.  It's not inconceivable that your son used 39 megs, and that he's not telling you the entire truth with regard to what he did on your phone or how long he was doing it.

6 of 8 (2,162 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2010 2:00:35 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by thowie on Oct 18, 2010 at 2:01:33 PM

I know, it's weird....I was right there with him though, no Youtube, no video/pictures, etc and like I said, 10 minutes, 39 megs...don't think it's possible a non smart phone can do that

[ Edited ]
7 of 8 (2,124 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2010 7:24:59 PM
(0)
Master

I hate to say it, but it sounds like the browser or email program must have stayed resident in memory, consuming data even after your son was finished.

8 of 8 (2,109 Views)