Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 17, 2012
5:47:24 AM
View profile
Enormous data consumption - HELP!

My Galaxy Sii is consuming over 10GB of data every night, and each morning I wake up to a warning text that I'm (again) going over my data limit.  Started last week.  I've done all the obvious things, even had AT&T reset my network connection to stop any data 'looping' that might have been going on.  I'm a very light user - not tethering, YouTubing, watching movies, etc.  It's used over 19GB in the last few days (well over my 4GB allowance) and the AT&T support team can't help me figure out why!  The only way to stop it is by turning off packet data and turning my nice smartphone into a mere cell phone.

HELP!  All suggestions welcome. Thanks!

My Galaxy Sii is consuming over 10GB of data every night, and each morning I wake up to a warning text that I'm (again) going over my data limit.  Started last week.  I've done all the obvious things, even had AT&T reset my network connection to stop any data 'looping' that might have been going on.  I'm a very light user - not tethering, YouTubing, watching movies, etc.  It's used over 19GB in the last few days (well over my 4GB allowance) and the AT&T support team can't help me figure out why!  The only way to stop it is by turning off packet data and turning my nice smartphone into a mere cell phone.

HELP!  All suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Enormous data consumption - HELP!

35 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(35)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2012 11:05:23 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hi, I was wondering if your issue was ever resolved? I am having the same issue you have and spoke with way too many customer service reps that just want to shift the blame to how i use my data. I did have one service rep that was pretty nice about my issue and will be calling me at the end of this month to review my data usage and make adjustments but what i really want is the problem resolved. i also turned my mobile data service off but somehow managed to rack up alot of data even with the data turned off. i am already at 6 gb over my 3gb plan but its still early in the month so who knows where it will end up!

i will wait until the end of my biling cycle when i get my call from the customer service rep. then i will be filling a complaint with the FTC and BBB in my state.

please give an update on how they are handlin your case especially if they were able to resolve the issue.

thanks, Tony 

Hi, I was wondering if your issue was ever resolved? I am having the same issue you have and spoke with way too many customer service reps that just want to shift the blame to how i use my data. I did have one service rep that was pretty nice about my issue and will be calling me at the end of this month to review my data usage and make adjustments but what i really want is the problem resolved. i also turned my mobile data service off but somehow managed to rack up alot of data even with the data turned off. i am already at 6 gb over my 3gb plan but its still early in the month so who knows where it will end up!

i will wait until the end of my biling cycle when i get my call from the customer service rep. then i will be filling a complaint with the FTC and BBB in my state.

please give an update on how they are handlin your case especially if they were able to resolve the issue.

thanks, Tony 

Re: Enormous data consumption - HELP!

31 of 36 (1,174 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2012 9:08:40 AM
(0)
Teacher

Hi Smiley Happy

Here is what i have done.

I printed out EVERY SINGE data usage on my online account and highlited every charge for overage. This ranged from 10-20 dollars.  I also printed out the bar graph at&t offers showing your data usage each month. and compare for each prior month.

i myself found out that taking the megabytes each month, and adding 2 months together, it equalled the exact amount of usage the following month. (Which showed my data did not restart each month) Which may not be your issue, but its what i did.

My data skyrocketed up to 59 GB. I opened a dispute with AT&T directly... 3 times. 3 times because AT&T closed each one withOUT notifying me and did NOT fix the issue.  ( i still continued to pay my regular monthly amount because i wasnt trying to cheap AT&T out, i just wanted my phone fixed!)

I then contacted BBB and filed a complaint with them. it worked out perfectly!!  i was able to jot my complaint down, pointed out every fact and problem i had. and also was able to jot down how i want AT&T to correct the problem. ( I recommend to be as polite but stern and to the point as possible.. just showing professionalism will help alot.)

Heres the issues i asked to be resolved: CREDIT EVERY DATA CHARGE (MINE WAS WELL OVER1,000 DOLLARS), CREDIT ANY LATE FEES ACCRUED, I WANTED A NEW PHONE SENT TO ME, I WANTED THE 2 $40.00 REINSTATEMENT FEES CREDITED, I WANTED THE CURRENT MONTH THAT I PAID FOR DATA TO BE PRO-RATED BECAUSE THEY TURNED MY INTERNET OFF EVEN THOUGH I PAID FOR MY NORMAL CHARGE OF IT, AND I BELIEVE THAT IS ALL.)

BBB emailed me confirming they sent it to AT&T. AT&T then had 2 weeks to respond and they would be sending it to them again. BBB also would let me know if AT&T responded or did not respond and exactly WHAT their response was.

AT&T replied in 1 day!

I had an executive person call me adjusted all charges and set up to have a new phone sent to me.

i didnt get my phone when they said, so i called. And they said that AT&T entered info in wrong and canceled the order. (GOOD GRIEF)

i called the executive person about 5 times (1x/day) and no answer and no returned phone call. so i replied BACK TO BBB notfying them i did not get a new phone like i was told. and again, in one day the executive called me and fixed it.

I now have my new phone and will see now that my internet has restarted for this month if it is fixed.

( i dont think they fixed the issue of my data no restarting each month as it should be so we shall see & if i get a notification that it has gone over, ill be calling them yet again)

If you would, please let me know what route you went and how it was resolved. STICK TO YOUR GUNS on this.. AT&T is a huge company that expects their customers to run away with their tail between their legs and pay up.

Technology goes wrong EVERY DAY. I dont see how they didnt see that with my phone..

Good luck and again, please write back on here what happened with your phone!

~Kelsey

Hi Smiley Happy

Here is what i have done.

I printed out EVERY SINGE data usage on my online account and highlited every charge for overage. This ranged from 10-20 dollars.  I also printed out the bar graph at&t offers showing your data usage each month. and compare for each prior month.

i myself found out that taking the megabytes each month, and adding 2 months together, it equalled the exact amount of usage the following month. (Which showed my data did not restart each month) Which may not be your issue, but its what i did.

My data skyrocketed up to 59 GB. I opened a dispute with AT&T directly... 3 times. 3 times because AT&T closed each one withOUT notifying me and did NOT fix the issue.  ( i still continued to pay my regular monthly amount because i wasnt trying to cheap AT&T out, i just wanted my phone fixed!)

I then contacted BBB and filed a complaint with them. it worked out perfectly!!  i was able to jot my complaint down, pointed out every fact and problem i had. and also was able to jot down how i want AT&T to correct the problem. ( I recommend to be as polite but stern and to the point as possible.. just showing professionalism will help alot.)

Heres the issues i asked to be resolved: CREDIT EVERY DATA CHARGE (MINE WAS WELL OVER1,000 DOLLARS), CREDIT ANY LATE FEES ACCRUED, I WANTED A NEW PHONE SENT TO ME, I WANTED THE 2 $40.00 REINSTATEMENT FEES CREDITED, I WANTED THE CURRENT MONTH THAT I PAID FOR DATA TO BE PRO-RATED BECAUSE THEY TURNED MY INTERNET OFF EVEN THOUGH I PAID FOR MY NORMAL CHARGE OF IT, AND I BELIEVE THAT IS ALL.)

BBB emailed me confirming they sent it to AT&T. AT&T then had 2 weeks to respond and they would be sending it to them again. BBB also would let me know if AT&T responded or did not respond and exactly WHAT their response was.

AT&T replied in 1 day!

I had an executive person call me adjusted all charges and set up to have a new phone sent to me.

i didnt get my phone when they said, so i called. And they said that AT&T entered info in wrong and canceled the order. (GOOD GRIEF)

i called the executive person about 5 times (1x/day) and no answer and no returned phone call. so i replied BACK TO BBB notfying them i did not get a new phone like i was told. and again, in one day the executive called me and fixed it.

I now have my new phone and will see now that my internet has restarted for this month if it is fixed.

( i dont think they fixed the issue of my data no restarting each month as it should be so we shall see & if i get a notification that it has gone over, ill be calling them yet again)

If you would, please let me know what route you went and how it was resolved. STICK TO YOUR GUNS on this.. AT&T is a huge company that expects their customers to run away with their tail between their legs and pay up.

Technology goes wrong EVERY DAY. I dont see how they didnt see that with my phone..

Good luck and again, please write back on here what happened with your phone!

~Kelsey

32 of 36 (1,105 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2012 6:32:32 AM
(0)
Contributor

I am having the exact same problem.  I have uninstalled everything, screen now looks like my old 2000 LG and still I get data usage messages, warnings, etc. every day for nearly 2 weeks, sometimes just minutes apart.  I'm afraid to touch my phone. Have talked to ATT everyday this week; they have no answers. 

I am having the exact same problem.  I have uninstalled everything, screen now looks like my old 2000 LG and still I get data usage messages, warnings, etc. every day for nearly 2 weeks, sometimes just minutes apart.  I'm afraid to touch my phone. Have talked to ATT everyday this week; they have no answers. 

33 of 36 (940 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2013 10:13:48 AM
(0)
Teacher

ONCE AGAIN!.. I am having this same issue.

Im getting very tired of playing this game.

I've checked out my data usage for many months prior to recently and i use average of 3.5 GB. then again, my data is sky rocketing. Mind you, i have a completely new phone. the LG Optimus G Pro. It went from using very low GB to shooting up to 28 GB. again, im being told this is my fault.

They sent me a note 2 and i told them it isnt the phone, it is my line...

Well this phone sucks. i dont want it i want MY PHONE.

Once again, i wrote to the BBB. Hopefully they get in touch with me asap because i am not paying my bill until the current overages are off which is 160 dollars. I was told it would be taken off a week ago and it wasnt so i called and they told me i need to upgrade my data plan to get any credit adjustment. and then i was told i need to pay the full bill and upgrade my plan no matter what. i was supposed to get a call from a manager and never did.

Here was my ultimatum with them through BBB

Credit/refund any overage charges during this high times adn do the same with any late fees because of it. (last month i paid $550 on my bill with about 400 being overages and fees.

THEN

1) Let me use my original LG Optimus G Pov and upgrade my data to what it needs and not charge me for it.

2) Send me the new LG

3) Cancel my entire contract and not charge me for it.

with option 1, i chose this because my software is right off the bat using 2/3 of my data right away and then building up thereafter.

with option 2, i chose this because i want an LG like i have but because of the software issue on my current one, it is causing overages.

with option 3, i chose this because this is honestly what i really want. i dont want to deal with at&t anymore.

if either option 1 or 2 is chose, i want them to wipe out my line and make it fresh and new with a new sim card.

This is honestly ridiculous. i cannot stand this any longer!!!!

ONCE AGAIN!.. I am having this same issue.

Im getting very tired of playing this game.

I've checked out my data usage for many months prior to recently and i use average of 3.5 GB. then again, my data is sky rocketing. Mind you, i have a completely new phone. the LG Optimus G Pro. It went from using very low GB to shooting up to 28 GB. again, im being told this is my fault.

They sent me a note 2 and i told them it isnt the phone, it is my line...

Well this phone sucks. i dont want it i want MY PHONE.

Once again, i wrote to the BBB. Hopefully they get in touch with me asap because i am not paying my bill until the current overages are off which is 160 dollars. I was told it would be taken off a week ago and it wasnt so i called and they told me i need to upgrade my data plan to get any credit adjustment. and then i was told i need to pay the full bill and upgrade my plan no matter what. i was supposed to get a call from a manager and never did.

Here was my ultimatum with them through BBB

Credit/refund any overage charges during this high times adn do the same with any late fees because of it. (last month i paid $550 on my bill with about 400 being overages and fees.

THEN

1) Let me use my original LG Optimus G Pov and upgrade my data to what it needs and not charge me for it.

2) Send me the new LG

3) Cancel my entire contract and not charge me for it.

with option 1, i chose this because my software is right off the bat using 2/3 of my data right away and then building up thereafter.

with option 2, i chose this because i want an LG like i have but because of the software issue on my current one, it is causing overages.

with option 3, i chose this because this is honestly what i really want. i dont want to deal with at&t anymore.

if either option 1 or 2 is chose, i want them to wipe out my line and make it fresh and new with a new sim card.

This is honestly ridiculous. i cannot stand this any longer!!!!

34 of 36 (371 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2013 10:31:07 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by KelseyAB1 on Oct 15, 2013 at 10:57:45 AM

Also would like to add i have written down every month since july 2012 showing how mayn GB i used, how much $ in overages i was charged (just for my line not the 2nd line) and THEN, i divided the overages by 10$ to show how many GB that breaks down to of usage and.... its showing they charge me more than they should have.

Every month, they are charging me 42 too much each month based upon what att website says im using in data.

Tisk tisk ATT.

Also would like to add i have written down every month since july 2012 showing how mayn GB i used, how much $ in overages i was charged (just for my line not the 2nd line) and THEN, i divided the overages by 10$ to show how many GB that breaks down to of usage and.... its showing they charge me more than they should have.

Every month, they are charging me 42 too much each month based upon what att website says im using in data.

Tisk tisk ATT.

[ Edited ]
35 of 36 (365 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2013 9:45:54 AM
(0)

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

36 of 36 (241 Views)