Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 17, 2012
5:47:24 AM
View profile
Enormous data consumption - HELP!

My Galaxy Sii is consuming over 10GB of data every night, and each morning I wake up to a warning text that I'm (again) going over my data limit.  Started last week.  I've done all the obvious things, even had AT&T reset my network connection to stop any data 'looping' that might have been going on.  I'm a very light user - not tethering, YouTubing, watching movies, etc.  It's used over 19GB in the last few days (well over my 4GB allowance) and the AT&T support team can't help me figure out why!  The only way to stop it is by turning off packet data and turning my nice smartphone into a mere cell phone.

HELP!  All suggestions welcome. Thanks!

My Galaxy Sii is consuming over 10GB of data every night, and each morning I wake up to a warning text that I'm (again) going over my data limit.  Started last week.  I've done all the obvious things, even had AT&T reset my network connection to stop any data 'looping' that might have been going on.  I'm a very light user - not tethering, YouTubing, watching movies, etc.  It's used over 19GB in the last few days (well over my 4GB allowance) and the AT&T support team can't help me figure out why!  The only way to stop it is by turning off packet data and turning my nice smartphone into a mere cell phone.

HELP!  All suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Enormous data consumption - HELP!

35 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(35)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 6:50:50 AM
(0)
Contributor

Correction - consuming 1GB per night (not 10).

Correction - consuming 1GB per night (not 10).

Re: Enormous data consumption - HELP!

2 of 36 (6,324 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 7:15:52 AM
(0)
Master

AP mobile app on the i777 (original GS2) is known to cause massive data usage on stock 2.3.4 firmware if you ever opened the app or widget. The only way to get out of it is to factory reset the phone. If your phone is still running 2.3.4 UCKH7 stock ROM, call AT&T and let them know that you will not pay any overage charges because of their faulty firmware.

There is now a new 2.3.6 UCKK6 update released by AT&T which addressed this bug. But it has a lot of other issues (see other threads). 

AP mobile app on the i777 (original GS2) is known to cause massive data usage on stock 2.3.4 firmware if you ever opened the app or widget. The only way to get out of it is to factory reset the phone. If your phone is still running 2.3.4 UCKH7 stock ROM, call AT&T and let them know that you will not pay any overage charges because of their faulty firmware.

There is now a new 2.3.6 UCKK6 update released by AT&T which addressed this bug. But it has a lot of other issues (see other threads). 

3 of 36 (6,318 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 7:19:14 AM
(0)
Master

Other than that, it also depends on what email client you have configured to use and what other apps you installed that may consume data. Unfortunately, we have to wait until ICS to have the capability to show which app uses the most data.

Other than that, it also depends on what email client you have configured to use and what other apps you installed that may consume data. Unfortunately, we have to wait until ICS to have the capability to show which app uses the most data.

4 of 36 (6,318 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 7:48:01 AM
(0)
Scholar

Download the free app "Traffic Monitor" to help you determine which app is causing the problem.  It provides very helpful usage data (current month, today, yesterday, and last month).  It won't *fix* your problem, but at least it might help you pinpoint the rogue app!

Download the free app "Traffic Monitor" to help you determine which app is causing the problem.  It provides very helpful usage data (current month, today, yesterday, and last month).  It won't *fix* your problem, but at least it might help you pinpoint the rogue app!

5 of 36 (6,319 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 2:57:41 PM
(0)
Contributor
jj
I am in your situation right now but with only the minimum amount of data.
I had 3 data overages for a total of $45 added to my bill. i called CS and the rep advised me to upgrade my data plan. i guess she didnt know that she couldn't spend my money for me. as for help or a credit, she ignored me but i am actually going to call CS again shortly. now one strange thing about my samsung captivate is that the battery was dead right after i got the message. i turned off the phone, charged the battery overnight and the next morning upon power up, i got another data overage text and my battery was again very low. The last thing i did was to charge the battery again and then pull it from the phone for at least 7hrs. idk the reset time but my phone did reset (cold boot) and the issue was gone. how i got the problem , idk but att hasn't been helpful as of two months later. i've searched online and a few things come up but Att doesnt kow why this is happening. I would suggest that you pull your battery for a few and see if the issue still exist. i will keep you updated on my call to CS tonight... also the rep suggested i visit a retail location but they are they there to sell you service not diagnos the unknown.

hope this helps

d
jj
I am in your situation right now but with only the minimum amount of data.
I had 3 data overages for a total of $45 added to my bill. i called CS and the rep advised me to upgrade my data plan. i guess she didnt know that she couldn't spend my money for me. as for help or a credit, she ignored me but i am actually going to call CS again shortly. now one strange thing about my samsung captivate is that the battery was dead right after i got the message. i turned off the phone, charged the battery overnight and the next morning upon power up, i got another data overage text and my battery was again very low. The last thing i did was to charge the battery again and then pull it from the phone for at least 7hrs. idk the reset time but my phone did reset (cold boot) and the issue was gone. how i got the problem , idk but att hasn't been helpful as of two months later. i've searched online and a few things come up but Att doesnt kow why this is happening. I would suggest that you pull your battery for a few and see if the issue still exist. i will keep you updated on my call to CS tonight... also the rep suggested i visit a retail location but they are they there to sell you service not diagnos the unknown.

hope this helps

d

6 of 36 (6,279 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 3:08:32 PM
(0)
Contributor
one thing and i do agree with you foxbat121, but not paying the overage is not the answer, ask me how i know or call my cell and listen to the message ;-). my service is suspended right now so i may just call att every day. and just so you know, i have the current billing cycle and the additional $45 due on my account. hopefully through due dillagents ,we can get this issue resolved for all who it affects while not being treated like we don't understand the technology.

d
one thing and i do agree with you foxbat121, but not paying the overage is not the answer, ask me how i know or call my cell and listen to the message ;-). my service is suspended right now so i may just call att every day. and just so you know, i have the current billing cycle and the additional $45 due on my account. hopefully through due dillagents ,we can get this issue resolved for all who it affects while not being treated like we don't understand the technology.

d

7 of 36 (6,278 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 4:10:58 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Jan 17, 2012 at 4:41:31 PM

davetech wrote:

Sorry, you mis-understood my message. Samsung Galaxy S2 (SGH-i777) original firmware has a known issue (to AT&T) with AP mobile eating up data. You can't do anything about it (the fix requires root the phone which void the warranty). That's why you can call AT&T and ask credit for the data overage.

Your Captivate doesn't have this known issue. There are million ways in Android OS to mis-configure the phone to consume a lot of data. That's your responsibility to configure it properly. AT&T is not liable for that. Your battery dies because your phone is tranmitting data all the time. Hence the data overage. I've owned Captivate for over a year and my month data usage only average 300MB.

You really should use the app mentioned above to help nail down which app is using your data.

davetech wrote:

Sorry, you mis-understood my message. Samsung Galaxy S2 (SGH-i777) original firmware has a known issue (to AT&T) with AP mobile eating up data. You can't do anything about it (the fix requires root the phone which void the warranty). That's why you can call AT&T and ask credit for the data overage.

Your Captivate doesn't have this known issue. There are million ways in Android OS to mis-configure the phone to consume a lot of data. That's your responsibility to configure it properly. AT&T is not liable for that. Your battery dies because your phone is tranmitting data all the time. Hence the data overage. I've owned Captivate for over a year and my month data usage only average 300MB.

You really should use the app mentioned above to help nail down which app is using your data.

[ Edited ]
8 of 36 (6,271 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2012 5:46:41 AM
(0)
Scholar

Well here's another reason for rooting!!!  AT&T's bloatware is just a pain not to mention a battery killer.. Since rooting and using a rom stripped of AT&T's bloat and their configuration and designed for battery enhancement I get through the day with at least 30% left and no longer need to toggle my data on and off anymore..  Its a shame because most complaints from users aren't due to the phone rather what AT&T puts on it, if and when the Galaxy SIII comes out I think I may just opt for the international version, there's just way more software available for the i9100 then our i777(by software I mean ROMs/themes/kernels) PLUS NO AT&T crapware or redesigning to "their" specs!!

Well here's another reason for rooting!!!  AT&T's bloatware is just a pain not to mention a battery killer.. Since rooting and using a rom stripped of AT&T's bloat and their configuration and designed for battery enhancement I get through the day with at least 30% left and no longer need to toggle my data on and off anymore..  Its a shame because most complaints from users aren't due to the phone rather what AT&T puts on it, if and when the Galaxy SIII comes out I think I may just opt for the international version, there's just way more software available for the i9100 then our i777(by software I mean ROMs/themes/kernels) PLUS NO AT&T crapware or redesigning to "their" specs!!

9 of 36 (6,243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2012 5:31:51 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks everyone.  I've installed Traffic Monitor (great recommendation).  Seems strange, but it looks as if GMail was in a never ending loop trying to connect.  I'll keep an eye on things and will post an update in a few days. 

Again, many thanks.

Thanks everyone.  I've installed Traffic Monitor (great recommendation).  Seems strange, but it looks as if GMail was in a never ending loop trying to connect.  I'll keep an eye on things and will post an update in a few days. 

Again, many thanks.

10 of 36 (6,217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2012 6:40:47 AM
(0)
Master

Do you have Hotmail setup on the stock email client using Exchange ActiveSync protocol? If so, you need to uncheck the calendar sync of your Hotmail account. There is a known bug on the stock EMail app that it will continously try to sync calendars with Hotmail which in turn will block Gmail calendar sync.

Do you have Hotmail setup on the stock email client using Exchange ActiveSync protocol? If so, you need to uncheck the calendar sync of your Hotmail account. There is a known bug on the stock EMail app that it will continously try to sync calendars with Hotmail which in turn will block Gmail calendar sync.

11 of 36 (6,087 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2012 8:45:55 PM
(0)
Contributor

Having the same problem with my Samsung captivate glide. Purchased in December used my old 3 g sim card for 2-3 weeks no problems used so little data that when I called to activate my 4G card the technician suggested I drop down to the Mbps plan. I chose to stay at G and the next day after installing the 4G card I used all my remaining data, about 65%. So far this week have used almost another 1G and that's with disabling the phone as often as possible. If I disable packet data it's fine but once you turn that on the phone goes into overdrive using data. Took it to local ATT store today, they couldn't tell me anything so sent me to the diagnostic center. They did less exploration than the guy at the store. They were useless just asking me about what I use the phone for, when etc... I was like well I can tell you I didn't use 16kmb while I was out and my phone was locked in my house alone, or 14k when I was driving around town with the phone in my purse. They offered to do a factory rest but I'll lose all my files. 

I think this is one smartphone that is going back to the store for good.

Having the same problem with my Samsung captivate glide. Purchased in December used my old 3 g sim card for 2-3 weeks no problems used so little data that when I called to activate my 4G card the technician suggested I drop down to the Mbps plan. I chose to stay at G and the next day after installing the 4G card I used all my remaining data, about 65%. So far this week have used almost another 1G and that's with disabling the phone as often as possible. If I disable packet data it's fine but once you turn that on the phone goes into overdrive using data. Took it to local ATT store today, they couldn't tell me anything so sent me to the diagnostic center. They did less exploration than the guy at the store. They were useless just asking me about what I use the phone for, when etc... I was like well I can tell you I didn't use 16kmb while I was out and my phone was locked in my house alone, or 14k when I was driving around town with the phone in my purse. They offered to do a factory rest but I'll lose all my files. 

I think this is one smartphone that is going back to the store for good.

12 of 36 (6,051 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2012 10:02:58 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by KelseyAB1 on Jul 13, 2012 at 10:08:39 AM

Hi! I have a similiar problem, but i think at more MASSIVE effect. My Bill is $1,444.xx amount of change.!!!!!!!!!!

I got my phone (Samsung Captivate Glide) in Mid Feb of 2012. For 2 months i did NOT go over my data usage of 3GB.

Starting in April, Something happened that caused my phone to skyrocket my data usage. This happened when i was out of town and had no service on my phone!!

My Data restarts every month on the 6th. and on the 6th, it has already gone over the amount. WITHOUT me using my phone. I have called every single month, multiple times to get this sorted out and every REP has said it is on AT&T and their network. I have had my phone reset to their network, i use Wifi majority of the day ( i have it at work church and home) i have the App killer to completely close my apps out. I have my Apps set to NOT automatically update.

On July 5th,(Thursday) A rep called me, VERY RUDE, saying i am using the data, its my fault.. and turned my internet off.

Now my data restarted the next day on the 6th but keep in mind i had no service for internet so i was unable to use any of it.

On monday, the 9th, i called again and a rep recommended i download "3GWatchDog App" to see if it contradicts AT&Ts info on my data usage. And Before he turned my internet on for a limit of 2 days, he said, "You have already used 50% of you data". IMPOSSIBLY!! MY INTERNET WAS OFF!!!!!!!   

He noticed it and still recommended i do this watchdog app so i did. I used my internet normal, and low and behold, AT&T txts me saying i went over my usage.

I printed out every single data usage on my account and i have 82 data overage charges to my account in 3 months. My data has multiplied by almost 20times the amount i was using before this happened. If you take 1025 megabytes and divide it by the GB usage each month, it adds up perfectly to the next month. it is not reseting and its adding my data to the next month!!!!       i found this out myself! i have worked so many hours to get this worked out.

they have a dispute case open on my issue and i called yesterday to check on it and it was closed out and never re-opened and i was NEVER told about it!!

The nice lady re-opened it, tried getting a new phone sent to me but warranty wouldnt let her until the case was closed which won't be until July 23rd 2012.

THIS IS RIDICULOUS!! I COULD HAVE PAID MY ACCOUNT OFF AND CLOSED IT FOR LESS THAN MY CURRENT BALANCE!!

FYI THIS MORNING MY 2 LINES ON MY PHONE (WHICH BTW THE OTHER LINES DATA IS PERFECTLY FINE) WERE OFF! EVEN AFTER I MADE MY REGULAR MONTHLY PAYMENT, IM NOT TRYING TO CHEAT AT&T OUT OF ANYTHING, IM MORE THAN WILLING TO PAY MY REGULAR MONTHLY COST TO KEEP MY PHONES ON!!  I CALLED at&t AND SHE TURNED THEM BACK ON BUT SAID I WILL BE CHARGED $40.00 TO GET THE RESET.. I LET HER KNOW TO NOTE MY ACCOUNT I AM NOT PAYING THAT AMOUNT. I HAVE NO REASON TO!!!

AT&T SUCKS AND IF THEY DONT GET THIS FIXED, I WILL CLOSE MY ACCOUNT AND THEY WILL NOT SEE A PENNY FROM ME. I DONT WANT TO DO THAT THOUGH. I WANT TO KEEP MY ACCOUNT GOING WITH THEM.

Hi! I have a similiar problem, but i think at more MASSIVE effect. My Bill is $1,444.xx amount of change.!!!!!!!!!!

I got my phone (Samsung Captivate Glide) in Mid Feb of 2012. For 2 months i did NOT go over my data usage of 3GB.

Starting in April, Something happened that caused my phone to skyrocket my data usage. This happened when i was out of town and had no service on my phone!!

My Data restarts every month on the 6th. and on the 6th, it has already gone over the amount. WITHOUT me using my phone. I have called every single month, multiple times to get this sorted out and every REP has said it is on AT&T and their network. I have had my phone reset to their network, i use Wifi majority of the day ( i have it at work church and home) i have the App killer to completely close my apps out. I have my Apps set to NOT automatically update.

On July 5th,(Thursday) A rep called me, VERY RUDE, saying i am using the data, its my fault.. and turned my internet off.

Now my data restarted the next day on the 6th but keep in mind i had no service for internet so i was unable to use any of it.

On monday, the 9th, i called again and a rep recommended i download "3GWatchDog App" to see if it contradicts AT&Ts info on my data usage. And Before he turned my internet on for a limit of 2 days, he said, "You have already used 50% of you data". IMPOSSIBLY!! MY INTERNET WAS OFF!!!!!!!   

He noticed it and still recommended i do this watchdog app so i did. I used my internet normal, and low and behold, AT&T txts me saying i went over my usage.

I printed out every single data usage on my account and i have 82 data overage charges to my account in 3 months. My data has multiplied by almost 20times the amount i was using before this happened. If you take 1025 megabytes and divide it by the GB usage each month, it adds up perfectly to the next month. it is not reseting and its adding my data to the next month!!!!       i found this out myself! i have worked so many hours to get this worked out.

they have a dispute case open on my issue and i called yesterday to check on it and it was closed out and never re-opened and i was NEVER told about it!!

The nice lady re-opened it, tried getting a new phone sent to me but warranty wouldnt let her until the case was closed which won't be until July 23rd 2012.

THIS IS RIDICULOUS!! I COULD HAVE PAID MY ACCOUNT OFF AND CLOSED IT FOR LESS THAN MY CURRENT BALANCE!!

FYI THIS MORNING MY 2 LINES ON MY PHONE (WHICH BTW THE OTHER LINES DATA IS PERFECTLY FINE) WERE OFF! EVEN AFTER I MADE MY REGULAR MONTHLY PAYMENT, IM NOT TRYING TO CHEAT AT&T OUT OF ANYTHING, IM MORE THAN WILLING TO PAY MY REGULAR MONTHLY COST TO KEEP MY PHONES ON!!  I CALLED at&t AND SHE TURNED THEM BACK ON BUT SAID I WILL BE CHARGED $40.00 TO GET THE RESET.. I LET HER KNOW TO NOTE MY ACCOUNT I AM NOT PAYING THAT AMOUNT. I HAVE NO REASON TO!!!

AT&T SUCKS AND IF THEY DONT GET THIS FIXED, I WILL CLOSE MY ACCOUNT AND THEY WILL NOT SEE A PENNY FROM ME. I DONT WANT TO DO THAT THOUGH. I WANT TO KEEP MY ACCOUNT GOING WITH THEM.

[ Edited ]
13 of 36 (5,846 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2012 10:12:04 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by smooth4lyfe on Jul 13, 2012 at 10:13:37 AM

AP Mobile is a HUGE data hogger (especially for the Galaxy S2), I had to root my phone to take it off when I had that phone...also Facebook is a HUGE data hogger on the S2 as well

Also make sure roaming is OFF....Roaming can take a LOT of data and you will get charged for it

Get this app called "Onavo data Monitor" to track what apps are consuming your data, and it even allows you to control the app to only use data on wifi. I use it all the time and its amazing!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.onavo.android.onavoid&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bG... 

I have the Galaxy S3 now and i am SO GLAD they stopped that

AP Mobile is a HUGE data hogger (especially for the Galaxy S2), I had to root my phone to take it off when I had that phone...also Facebook is a HUGE data hogger on the S2 as well

Also make sure roaming is OFF....Roaming can take a LOT of data and you will get charged for it

Get this app called "Onavo data Monitor" to track what apps are consuming your data, and it even allows you to control the app to only use data on wifi. I use it all the time and its amazing!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.onavo.android.onavoid&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd 

I have the Galaxy S3 now and i am SO GLAD they stopped that

[ Edited ]
14 of 36 (5,843 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2012 4:18:04 PM
(0)
Teacher

I'd like to update:::

I just received a txt from AT&T stating my case was closed. I called them to find out had happened and the woman stated they AGAIN put wrong information on the case and it was closed and not resolved.

Once again, she opened it again and we will see what happens with it this time.

If it isnt resolved quickly, i will be taking it much further.

as on 7/14/12 AT&T states i used 3,072 of 3,072 MB

As of TODAY (7/16/12; and i havent had internet on my phone because they disabled it since 7/11/12) It states i have used 3,840.91 of 3,.072 MB... How this happened when i didnt have access to internet on my phone? If someone can let me know please do!!!

~Kelsey

I just received a txt from AT&T stating my case was closed. I called them to find out had happened and the woman stated they AGAIN put wrong information on the case and it was closed and not resolved.

As of TODAY (7/16/12; and i havent had internet on my phone because they disabled it since 7/11/12) It states i have used 3,840.91 of 3,.072 MB... How this happened when i didnt have access to internet on my phone? If someone can let me know please do!!!

~Kelsey

15 of 36 (5,667 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2012 4:51:25 PM
(0)
Professor

KelseyAB1 wrote:

~Kelsey

I can possible help you out but I need a few information from you

First, look at your bill and see what data is actually being used...is it from purchases? Data transfers? As long as you have your phone on, then data is capable of being used

Second, check your phone to see what data is being used (Settings -> Data Usage), and see what is being used....if u could let me know this information, I could possibly let you know how to block/stop the data from being used

Third, this is highly unlikely, but does someone else have access to your account? (Family member, friends)...does anyone make purchases on your behalf from the app store?

Turn all autosync OFF...even though you may not use them, they constantly run in the background

If you have the AP Widget, that takes ENORMOUS data, even if it not on your homescreen...if you have a Galaxy S2...then that might be the cause...I have experienced it...I was able to block it and I can show you how if you want

KelseyAB1 wrote:

~Kelsey

I can possible help you out but I need a few information from you

First, look at your bill and see what data is actually being used...is it from purchases? Data transfers? As long as you have your phone on, then data is capable of being used

Second, check your phone to see what data is being used (Settings -> Data Usage), and see what is being used....if u could let me know this information, I could possibly let you know how to block/stop the data from being used

Third, this is highly unlikely, but does someone else have access to your account? (Family member, friends)...does anyone make purchases on your behalf from the app store?

Turn all autosync OFF...even though you may not use them, they constantly run in the background

If you have the AP Widget, that takes ENORMOUS data, even if it not on your homescreen...if you have a Galaxy S2...then that might be the cause...I have experienced it...I was able to block it and I can show you how if you want

16 of 36 (5,660 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2012 5:42:30 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by KelseyAB1 on Jul 16, 2012 at 5:44:58 PM

It is not from purchases, its just data transfering i suppose.

I have a Samsung Captivate Glide

No one else has access to my phone/account

And its not an App i have that closes the apps, its just a thing on my phone that doesnt use any internet to use it.

I went into setting, but there is no option on there that says, "Data Usage".

The only apps i have that use internet are: Bible App which i just use while at church and my church has wifi, Facebook and daily horoscope. which i dont even remember the last time i used the horoscope one...

And I have settings set  up to NOT auto-sync and NOT allow background data to run, sync, send and receive data at any time.

It is not from purchases, its just data transfering i suppose.

I have a Samsung Captivate Glide

No one else has access to my phone/account

And its not an App i have that closes the apps, its just a thing on my phone that doesnt use any internet to use it.

I went into setting, but there is no option on there that says, "Data Usage".

The only apps i have that use internet are: Bible App which i just use while at church and my church has wifi, Facebook and daily horoscope. which i dont even remember the last time i used the horoscope one...

And I have settings set  up to NOT auto-sync and NOT allow background data to run, sync, send and receive data at any time.

[ Edited ]
17 of 36 (5,655 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2012 6:05:20 PM
(0)
Professor

Got it...try these:

- Go to your setting and make sure Data Roaming is OFF (unchecked)...it should be somewhere in your settings, probably in Network -> Mobile Networks 

- Go to your Facebook App settings and turn off Auto Update/Alerts (this also takes a LOT of data in the background)...the default is on...go to the settings within the app...I'm leaning on this being most of the data taker, i had a similar experience...u can also try and use "Friendcaster" which is another FB app that actually handles background data pretty well

- Open the Bible app and turn "Push Notifications" off in the settings

- Open your horoscope app and make sure there is no auto update setting, and if there is..turn them off

Got it...try these:

- Go to your setting and make sure Data Roaming is OFF (unchecked)...it should be somewhere in your settings, probably in Network -> Mobile Networks 

- Go to your Facebook App settings and turn off Auto Update/Alerts (this also takes a LOT of data in the background)...the default is on...go to the settings within the app...I'm leaning on this being most of the data taker, i had a similar experience...u can also try and use "Friendcaster" which is another FB app that actually handles background data pretty well

- Open the Bible app and turn "Push Notifications" off in the settings

- Open your horoscope app and make sure there is no auto update setting, and if there is..turn them off

18 of 36 (5,648 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2012 6:29:15 PM
(0)
Teacher
These are all turned off already however, i double checked to make sure.

Data roaming as well.

I really think i need a new phone and this one is defective. I just filed a case with BBB. Just because it has been 3 months and AT&T is not helping me resolve this at all. Smiley Sad

Data roaming as well.

I really think i need a new phone and this one is defective. I just filed a case with BBB. Just because it has been 3 months and AT&T is not helping me resolve this at all. Smiley Sad

19 of 36 (5,644 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2012 7:14:22 PM
(0)
Professor

KelseyAB1 wrote:

Data roaming as well.

Really? That is very wierd then...you should not have to pay for those charges if they arent yours

You should tell AT&T to cancel your data plan for about a week and see what happens

You might also want to get the app "Onavo Data Monitor" and let it track what is using your data over a few days...it tells you exactly what is and how much

KelseyAB1 wrote:

Data roaming as well.

Really? That is very wierd then...you should not have to pay for those charges if they arent yours

You should tell AT&T to cancel your data plan for about a week and see what happens

You might also want to get the app "Onavo Data Monitor" and let it track what is using your data over a few days...it tells you exactly what is and how much

20 of 36 (5,637 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2012 7:29:29 PM
(0)
Teacher

They suspended it for a few days and it still ate up data. its suspended right now and it is still accruing fees. i dont know how AT&T isnt recognizing this issue and why its taking 3 months +...

It truly is SO irritating!!

The other line on the account is perfectly fine.

They suspended it for a few days and it still ate up data. its suspended right now and it is still accruing fees. i dont know how AT&T isnt recognizing this issue and why its taking 3 months +...

21 of 36 (5,631 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2012 7:41:36 PM
(0)
Professor

KelseyAB1 wrote:

Hmmmm, the other account is not sharing data plan with you is it?

Check your bill online and doesnt it say what exactly is taking your data? is it a download? What does it say is using your data?

Does your data still go up when your on WiFi?

Get the "Onavo Data Monitor" app and use it to track your data usage, it will tell you what is using each of your phones data, with your wifi off

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.onavo.android.onavoid&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bG...

From how its sounding, it might be something on their end, and no matter what you do, you should not have to be charged for any extra

KelseyAB1 wrote:

Hmmmm, the other account is not sharing data plan with you is it?

Check your bill online and doesnt it say what exactly is taking your data? is it a download? What does it say is using your data?

Does your data still go up when your on WiFi?

Get the "Onavo Data Monitor" app and use it to track your data usage, it will tell you what is using each of your phones data, with your wifi off

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.onavo.android.onavoid&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd

From how its sounding, it might be something on their end, and no matter what you do, you should not have to be charged for any extra

22 of 36 (5,626 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2012 8:52:38 PM
(0)
Teacher

No, we do not share data.

Theres multiple data usages over the past 3 months. 82 to be exact that uses anywhere from 800,000MB-3MILLION MB..

it hits my account immediately. My data doesnt go up when i use WiFi. I monitor it closely.

Yeah, i most definitely shouldnt be held liable for the charges. they took 3 months to even do anythin about it on their end. Ive been trying to get it fixed while they didnt do anything. THAT is why the fees have accrued to 1,200 dollars now.

No, we do not share data.

Theres multiple data usages over the past 3 months. 82 to be exact that uses anywhere from 800,000MB-3MILLION MB..

it hits my account immediately. My data doesnt go up when i use WiFi. I monitor it closely.

Yeah, i most definitely shouldnt be held liable for the charges. they took 3 months to even do anythin about it on their end. Ive been trying to get it fixed while they didnt do anything. THAT is why the fees have accrued to 1,200 dollars now.

23 of 36 (5,620 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2012 9:28:30 PM
(0)
Professor

Out of curiousity what data plan do you have exactly? 

Also try getting a new Sim Card, that could possibly have some affect

Do you/have you ever used the Maps/GPS?

Out of curiousity what data plan do you have exactly? 

Also try getting a new Sim Card, that could possibly have some affect

Do you/have you ever used the Maps/GPS?

24 of 36 (5,615 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2012 10:00:30 PM
(0)
Teacher

I have 3GB a month. Which before this started happening, i hadnt gone over at all. and i was using WAY more internet then than i am now just because im scared that if i use one thing theyll fire back and say THAT is why it is happening. 

No i dont know how to use the maps thingy.

I have 3GB a month. Which before this started happening, i hadnt gone over at all. and i was using WAY more internet then than i am now just because im scared that if i use one thing theyll fire back and say THAT is why it is happening. 

No i dont know how to use the maps thingy.

25 of 36 (5,611 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2012 10:20:40 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by smooth4lyfe on Jul 16, 2012 at 10:24:28 PM

Yeah I understand, I suggest print out the records of the bill for your records (Make sure u print one out for yourself too), and go to the AT&T store (take one of the printed bills with u) and talk with a rep about it...something like this will be hard to handle over the phone with a customer rep. I also suggest getting a new SIM card while you are there.

You say it happened when you were out of town, so thats what made me think it was Data Roaming, but u said it was off, idk if its some international something if u went out of the country

I personally think they should give u a new free phone for this!

Yeah I understand, I suggest print out the records of the bill for your records (Make sure u print one out for yourself too), and go to the AT&T store (take one of the printed bills with u) and talk with a rep about it...something like this will be hard to handle over the phone with a customer rep. I also suggest getting a new SIM card while you are there.

You say it happened when you were out of town, so thats what made me think it was Data Roaming, but u said it was off, idk if its some international something if u went out of the country

I personally think they should give u a new free phone for this!

[ Edited ]
26 of 36 (5,607 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2012 10:30:35 PM
(0)
Teacher
I did that also LOL. I printed out every single record and highlited each one showing i had a charge. AT&T didnt really do much at the corporate store. They said because its such a large amount on my account being charged that id have to duke it out with the billing dept. But they did recommend i take it into a tech which i am going to do, BUT id rather them tell me what (if anything) is wrong with the phone and NOT fix it. That way it can be reported and then they just ship me out a new phone. i dont want to take a chance with this phone i have now that it may happen again in the future.

The one lady tried getting me a new phone but the warranty place said they wouldnt do it until the dispute case is resolved. yet... they keep closing the case because they enter the information in wrong... its a loop of crap.
I did that also LOL. I printed out every single record and highlited each one showing i had a charge. AT&T didnt really do much at the corporate store. They said because its such a large amount on my account being charged that id have to duke it out with the billing dept. But they did recommend i take it into a tech which i am going to do, BUT id rather them tell me what (if anything) is wrong with the phone and NOT fix it. That way it can be reported and then they just ship me out a new phone. i dont want to take a chance with this phone i have now that it may happen again in the future.

The one lady tried getting me a new phone but the warranty place said they wouldnt do it until the dispute case is resolved. yet... they keep closing the case because they enter the information in wrong... its a loop of crap.

27 of 36 (5,602 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2012 10:47:39 PM
(0)
Professor

Lol geesh AT&T is known for its horrible customer service...I'd say try getting a new Sim Card. The data is handled by AT&T, so it HAS to be something on their end if you arent using any data on your own. I also doubt that a technical issue on the phone is causing your data to go up.

If your data plan is really cancelled, and charges are still coming up, then its no doubt something on their side. Either they are mixing up your account information with someone elses, or someone is some how using your data through some sort of way.

Can you go on the internet now with your WiFi off? If so then your data plan isnt really cancelled

Either way, I dont think you will have to pay any of those extra charges, especially since you have records, but I'd try and get a new SIM Card just to see

Btw...were you out of the country when u said it happened? It could be some sort of roaming charges

Either way AT&T is handling this very poorly from what you are telling me

Lol geesh AT&T is known for its horrible customer service...I'd say try getting a new Sim Card. The data is handled by AT&T, so it HAS to be something on their end if you arent using any data on your own. I also doubt that a technical issue on the phone is causing your data to go up.

If your data plan is really cancelled, and charges are still coming up, then its no doubt something on their side. Either they are mixing up your account information with someone elses, or someone is some how using your data through some sort of way.

Can you go on the internet now with your WiFi off? If so then your data plan isnt really cancelled

Either way, I dont think you will have to pay any of those extra charges, especially since you have records, but I'd try and get a new SIM Card just to see

Btw...were you out of the country when u said it happened? It could be some sort of roaming charges

Either way AT&T is handling this very poorly from what you are telling me

28 of 36 (5,600 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2012 11:09:03 PM
(0)
Teacher
i have no idea how someone else would be using my data? hows that work

No, i wasnt out of the country. i was out of town working and i didnt have service at the time, but again the roaming option was off. yeah they really are handling it poorly. EVERY person has said its on AT&T and then one guy calls me telling me i need to pay 900$ and that im using the internet myself that much and its my fault. he was an a** and i let him know that Smiley Happy

Ill try the sim card thing. I dont see how if EVERYONE else sees this that they dont? Hopefully doing a complaint with BBB will give them a kick in the you know what! Smiley Happy
i have no idea how someone else would be using my data? hows that work

No, i wasnt out of the country. i was out of town working and i didnt have service at the time, but again the roaming option was off. yeah they really are handling it poorly. EVERY person has said its on AT&T and then one guy calls me telling me i need to pay 900$ and that im using the internet myself that much and its my fault. he was an a** and i let him know that Smiley Happy

Ill try the sim card thing. I dont see how if EVERYONE else sees this that they dont? Hopefully doing a complaint with BBB will give them a kick in the you know what! Smiley Happy

29 of 36 (5,597 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2012 8:41:20 AM
(0)
Professor

Though it is unlikely, someone could hack into the system and start using peoples data...its probably unlikely though.

AT&T will probably try every possible way to get the money out of you, but its obviously not your fault. Maybe they think you are trying to cheat them out of paying, but they need to a better job at looking into it because if your service was off and charges are still occuring, they are looking pretty stupid

Hopefully the SIM card will do something about it, otherwise keep monitoring

BTW

- Were u with a carrier before you switched to AT&T in Feb 2012? If so, check with them and see if your account is closed and if there arent any charges on your number (just throwing ideas at you)

- When you monitor your phone with the watchdog app, what did it tell you was using your data?

- Try factory resetting your phone to erase all settings on your phone that may have turned on

-  Also I really do suggest u use the "Onavo Data Monitoring" app from the app store to see whats using it if you arent already...it gives a lot of information

Though it is unlikely, someone could hack into the system and start using peoples data...its probably unlikely though.

AT&T will probably try every possible way to get the money out of you, but its obviously not your fault. Maybe they think you are trying to cheat them out of paying, but they need to a better job at looking into it because if your service was off and charges are still occuring, they are looking pretty stupid

Hopefully the SIM card will do something about it, otherwise keep monitoring

BTW

- Were u with a carrier before you switched to AT&T in Feb 2012? If so, check with them and see if your account is closed and if there arent any charges on your number (just throwing ideas at you)

- When you monitor your phone with the watchdog app, what did it tell you was using your data?

- Try factory resetting your phone to erase all settings on your phone that may have turned on

-  Also I really do suggest u use the "Onavo Data Monitoring" app from the app store to see whats using it if you arent already...it gives a lot of information

30 of 36 (5,580 Views)