Enormous data consumption - HELP!

Professor

Re: Enormous data consumption - HELP!

KelseyAB1 wrote:

I'd like to update:::

I just received a txt from AT&T stating my case was closed. I called them to find out had happened and the woman stated they AGAIN put wrong information on the case and it was closed and not resolved.

Once again, she opened it again and we will see what happens with it this time.

If it isnt resolved quickly, i will be taking it much further.

as on 7/14/12 AT&T states i used 3,072 of 3,072 MB

As of TODAY (7/16/12; and i havent had internet on my phone because they disabled it since 7/11/12) It states i have used 3,840.91 of 3,.072 MB... How this happened when i didnt have access to internet on my phone? If someone can let me know please do!!!

~Kelsey

I can possible help you out but I need a few information from you

First, look at your bill and see what data is actually being used...is it from purchases? Data transfers? As long as you have your phone on, then data is capable of being used

Second, check your phone to see what data is being used (Settings -> Data Usage), and see what is being used....if u could let me know this information, I could possibly let you know how to block/stop the data from being used

Third, this is highly unlikely, but does someone else have access to your account? (Family member, friends)...does anyone make purchases on your behalf from the app store?

Turn all autosync OFF...even though you may not use them, they constantly run in the background

If you have the AP Widget, that takes ENORMOUS data, even if it not on your homescreen...if you have a Galaxy S2...then that might be the cause...I have experienced it...I was able to block it and I can show you how if you want

Message 16 of 36 (5,706 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

It is not from purchases, its just data transfering i suppose.

I have a Samsung Captivate Glide

No one else has access to my phone/account

And its not an App i have that closes the apps, its just a thing on my phone that doesnt use any internet to use it.

I went into setting, but there is no option on there that says, "Data Usage".

The only apps i have that use internet are: Bible App which i just use while at church and my church has wifi, Facebook and daily horoscope. which i dont even remember the last time i used the horoscope one...

And I have settings set  up to NOT auto-sync and NOT allow background data to run, sync, send and receive data at any time.

Message 17 of 36 (5,701 Views)
Professor

Got it...try these:

- Go to your setting and make sure Data Roaming is OFF (unchecked)...it should be somewhere in your settings, probably in Network -> Mobile Networks 

- Go to your Facebook App settings and turn off Auto Update/Alerts (this also takes a LOT of data in the background)...the default is on...go to the settings within the app...I'm leaning on this being most of the data taker, i had a similar experience...u can also try and use "Friendcaster" which is another FB app that actually handles background data pretty well

- Open the Bible app and turn "Push Notifications" off in the settings

- Open your horoscope app and make sure there is no auto update setting, and if there is..turn them off

Message 18 of 36 (5,694 Views)
Teacher

These are all turned off already however, i double checked to make sure.

Data roaming as well.

I really think i need a new phone and this one is defective. I just filed a case with BBB. Just because it has been 3 months and AT&T is not helping me resolve this at all. Smiley Sad
Message 19 of 36 (5,690 Views)
Professor

KelseyAB1 wrote:
These are all turned off already however, i double checked to make sure.

Data roaming as well.

I really think i need a new phone and this one is defective. I just filed a case with BBB. Just because it has been 3 months and AT&T is not helping me resolve this at all. Smiley Sad

Really? That is very wierd then...you should not have to pay for those charges if they arent yours

You should tell AT&T to cancel your data plan for about a week and see what happens

You might also want to get the app "Onavo Data Monitor" and let it track what is using your data over a few days...it tells you exactly what is and how much

Message 20 of 36 (5,683 Views)
Teacher

They suspended it for a few days and it still ate up data. its suspended right now and it is still accruing fees. i dont know how AT&T isnt recognizing this issue and why its taking 3 months +...

It truly is SO irritating!!

The other line on the account is perfectly fine.

Message 21 of 36 (5,677 Views)
Professor

KelseyAB1 wrote:

They suspended it for a few days and it still ate up data. its suspended right now and it is still accruing fees. i dont know how AT&T isnt recognizing this issue and why its taking 3 months +...

It truly is SO irritating!!

The other line on the account is perfectly fine.

Hmmmm, the other account is not sharing data plan with you is it?

Check your bill online and doesnt it say what exactly is taking your data? is it a download? What does it say is using your data?

Does your data still go up when your on WiFi?

Get the "Onavo Data Monitor" app and use it to track your data usage, it will tell you what is using each of your phones data, with your wifi off

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.onavo.android.onavoid&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bG...

From how its sounding, it might be something on their end, and no matter what you do, you should not have to be charged for any extra

Message 22 of 36 (5,672 Views)
Teacher

No, we do not share data.

Theres multiple data usages over the past 3 months. 82 to be exact that uses anywhere from 800,000MB-3MILLION MB..

it hits my account immediately. My data doesnt go up when i use WiFi. I monitor it closely.

Yeah, i most definitely shouldnt be held liable for the charges. they took 3 months to even do anythin about it on their end. Ive been trying to get it fixed while they didnt do anything. THAT is why the fees have accrued to 1,200 dollars now.

Message 23 of 36 (5,666 Views)
Professor

Out of curiousity what data plan do you have exactly? 

Also try getting a new Sim Card, that could possibly have some affect

Do you/have you ever used the Maps/GPS?

Message 24 of 36 (5,661 Views)
Teacher

I have 3GB a month. Which before this started happening, i hadnt gone over at all. and i was using WAY more internet then than i am now just because im scared that if i use one thing theyll fire back and say THAT is why it is happening. 

No i dont know how to use the maps thingy.

Message 25 of 36 (5,657 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

Yeah I understand, I suggest print out the records of the bill for your records (Make sure u print one out for yourself too), and go to the AT&T store (take one of the printed bills with u) and talk with a rep about it...something like this will be hard to handle over the phone with a customer rep. I also suggest getting a new SIM card while you are there.

You say it happened when you were out of town, so thats what made me think it was Data Roaming, but u said it was off, idk if its some international something if u went out of the country

I personally think they should give u a new free phone for this!

Message 26 of 36 (5,653 Views)
Teacher

I did that also LOL. I printed out every single record and highlited each one showing i had a charge. AT&T didnt really do much at the corporate store. They said because its such a large amount on my account being charged that id have to duke it out with the billing dept. But they did recommend i take it into a tech which i am going to do, BUT id rather them tell me what (if anything) is wrong with the phone and NOT fix it. That way it can be reported and then they just ship me out a new phone. i dont want to take a chance with this phone i have now that it may happen again in the future.

The one lady tried getting me a new phone but the warranty place said they wouldnt do it until the dispute case is resolved. yet... they keep closing the case because they enter the information in wrong... its a loop of crap.
Message 27 of 36 (5,648 Views)
Professor

Lol geesh AT&T is known for its horrible customer service...I'd say try getting a new Sim Card. The data is handled by AT&T, so it HAS to be something on their end if you arent using any data on your own. I also doubt that a technical issue on the phone is causing your data to go up.

If your data plan is really cancelled, and charges are still coming up, then its no doubt something on their side. Either they are mixing up your account information with someone elses, or someone is some how using your data through some sort of way.

Can you go on the internet now with your WiFi off? If so then your data plan isnt really cancelled

Either way, I dont think you will have to pay any of those extra charges, especially since you have records, but I'd try and get a new SIM Card just to see

Btw...were you out of the country when u said it happened? It could be some sort of roaming charges

Either way AT&T is handling this very poorly from what you are telling me

Message 28 of 36 (5,646 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

i have no idea how someone else would be using my data? hows that work

No, i wasnt out of the country. i was out of town working and i didnt have service at the time, but again the roaming option was off. yeah they really are handling it poorly. EVERY person has said its on AT&T and then one guy calls me telling me i need to pay 900$ and that im using the internet myself that much and its my fault. he was an a** and i let him know that Smiley Happy

Ill try the sim card thing. I dont see how if EVERYONE else sees this that they dont? Hopefully doing a complaint with BBB will give them a kick in the you know what! Smiley Happy
Message 29 of 36 (5,643 Views)
Professor

Though it is unlikely, someone could hack into the system and start using peoples data...its probably unlikely though.

AT&T will probably try every possible way to get the money out of you, but its obviously not your fault. Maybe they think you are trying to cheat them out of paying, but they need to a better job at looking into it because if your service was off and charges are still occuring, they are looking pretty stupid

Hopefully the SIM card will do something about it, otherwise keep monitoring

BTW

- Were u with a carrier before you switched to AT&T in Feb 2012? If so, check with them and see if your account is closed and if there arent any charges on your number (just throwing ideas at you)

- When you monitor your phone with the watchdog app, what did it tell you was using your data?

- Try factory resetting your phone to erase all settings on your phone that may have turned on

-  Also I really do suggest u use the "Onavo Data Monitoring" app from the app store to see whats using it if you arent already...it gives a lot of information

Message 30 of 36 (5,626 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.