Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 3, 2011
11:53:56 AM
View profile
Emergency Call-LG Phoenix

Whenever my phone is in locked mode, I have an emergency call button that I can press and 911 is a preset number and it's dialed immediately.  My problem is when my phone is locked, anything can easily press this button and my phone has called 911 on several occasions without my knowledge.  911 operators have left voice messages on my phone stating that I called them.  How do I remove the numbers 9-1-1 so I will not accidentally call them again when my phone is locked?

Whenever my phone is in locked mode, I have an emergency call button that I can press and 911 is a preset number and it's dialed immediately.  My problem is when my phone is locked, anything can easily press this button and my phone has called 911 on several occasions without my knowledge.  911 operators have left voice messages on my phone stating that I called them.  How do I remove the numbers 9-1-1 so I will not accidentally call them again when my phone is locked?

Emergency Call-LG Phoenix

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2011 7:01:39 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Oct 3, 2011 at 7:03:37 PM

I have the same concern too. I hope to find an answer too. For now, I just post my work around.

Please note that my phone is the LG Thrive, similar to LG Phoenix I think.

With my phone is Airplane mode, the +Emergency button (dials 911) is visible and on top. So I avoid the Airplane mode.

With my phone in 3G mode, the +Emergency button is "buried" under the Swipe Unlock soft key. That's the mode I choose. For mine, that would take a right swipe, then a touch on the +Emergency, followed by a touch of the call button if I were to complete the call. - much harder to accidentally call 911 when my phone is in my pocket.

Yet I have a concern too. Why is it designed that way? Do other smartphones have the same feature?

I have the same concern too. I hope to find an answer too. For now, I just post my work around.

Please note that my phone is the LG Thrive, similar to LG Phoenix I think.

With my phone is Airplane mode, the +Emergency button (dials 911) is visible and on top. So I avoid the Airplane mode.

With my phone in 3G mode, the +Emergency button is "buried" under the Swipe Unlock soft key. That's the mode I choose. For mine, that would take a right swipe, then a touch on the +Emergency, followed by a touch of the call button if I were to complete the call. - much harder to accidentally call 911 when my phone is in my pocket.

Yet I have a concern too. Why is it designed that way? Do other smartphones have the same feature?

Re: Emergency Call-LG Phoenix

[ Edited ]
2 of 6 (2,591 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2011 2:34:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Do either of you have a lock password enabled for extra security, or is that just natural behavior of the phone?

None of my phones have ever had that option including my past LG phone.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Do either of you have a lock password enabled for extra security, or is that just natural behavior of the phone?

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 6 (2,579 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2011 2:50:05 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Oct 4, 2011 at 2:51:30 PM

Wild Banchi wrote:

Yes I have a lock password.

Hours after I activated my phone, the +Emergency Call soft key dialed 000. A day later, I noticed the number changed to 911. If I press the +Emergency Call soft key, 911 would be automatically keyed in without the "send" or "call". So that would be 2 accidental touches at the right spot to call 911 in Airplane Mode. In 3G Mode, it's a little harder to accidentally call 911.

PS. On a side note, this is one of the reasons why I have avoided a touch screen phone for a long time but I finally broke down and got one in the end.

Wild Banchi wrote:

Yes I have a lock password.

Hours after I activated my phone, the +Emergency Call soft key dialed 000. A day later, I noticed the number changed to 911. If I press the +Emergency Call soft key, 911 would be automatically keyed in without the "send" or "call". So that would be 2 accidental touches at the right spot to call 911 in Airplane Mode. In 3G Mode, it's a little harder to accidentally call 911.

PS. On a side note, this is one of the reasons why I have avoided a touch screen phone for a long time but I finally broke down and got one in the end.

[ Edited ]
4 of 6 (2,576 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2011 6:04:34 AM
(0)
Mentor

LG is aware of the problem.  The problem is that any button on the phone can bring the device awake again.  From there anything touching the Emergancy button will call 911.  LG or AT&T need to insure that the only thing that will make the phone awake is the power button or an incoming phone call.

Thus far my complaints to LG and AT&T on the issue have met with negative results.

I installed a program that asks if you really want to make the call and it seems to have helped....a bit.  It is in Market and called "Call Confirm".  You might want to try it.  Warning: it is anoying if you make a lot of calls as it asks for confirmation for all calls.

LG is aware of the problem.  The problem is that any button on the phone can bring the device awake again.  From there anything touching the Emergancy button will call 911.  LG or AT&T need to insure that the only thing that will make the phone awake is the power button or an incoming phone call.

Thus far my complaints to LG and AT&T on the issue have met with negative results.

I installed a program that asks if you really want to make the call and it seems to have helped....a bit.  It is in Market and called "Call Confirm".  You might want to try it.  Warning: it is anoying if you make a lot of calls as it asks for confirmation for all calls.

5 of 6 (2,563 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2011 9:17:50 PM
(0)
Professor

SkeltonGoPhone wrote:

The 911 function is regulated by FCC.

SkeltonGoPhone wrote:

The 911 function is regulated by FCC.

6 of 6 (2,539 Views)