Emancipating the iPhone: From Across the Pond

Expert

Re: Emancipating the iPhone: From Across the Pond

[ Edited ]

wireless-user wrote:

ajl1239 wrote:

Sorry, but not true -- ATT CSR routinely blame Apple, and then ATT, and then Apple -- and back and forth -- when trying "not" to provide the real reason for refusing to unlock an iPhone -- ATT is doing what's best for short-term gain. It's also irking enough people and hurting its reputation in the long-term. But, whatever pays for Randall Stephenson's yacht...

You are swimming upstream.

The usual AT&T fan boys pop out of the woodwork and defend AT&T's practices simply by saying "read the terms of service and the contract".  Of course, they may be right,  but what they seem to ignore are AT&T's anti-consumer policies.  My iPhone 3G is obsolete, but AT&T won't unlock.  We have long held the AT&T service beyond the requisite 2 years, yet they won't unlock. All my iPhones are software unlocked, so AT&T isn't losing anything with me other than rip-off overseas roaming charges.

Soon Sprint will have the iPhone and it's said to be a Sprint network and GSM unlocked device. If so, I would expect to see people jumping from AT&T.   

The unlocked Atrix solution also appears to be a sweet solution.

{Please keep it courteous}

Sprint is CDMA, their disaster purchase of Nextel is IDEN, not sure how they are going to handle a GSM phone.

Message 16 of 18 (614 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

wireless-user wrote:

ajl1239 wrote:

Sorry, but not true -- ATT CSR routinely blame Apple, and then ATT, and then Apple -- and back and forth -- when trying "not" to provide the real reason for refusing to unlock an iPhone -- ATT is doing what's best for short-term gain. It's also irking enough people and hurting its reputation in the long-term. But, whatever pays for Randall Stephenson's yacht...

You are swimming upstream.

The usual AT&T fan boys pop out of the woodwork and defend AT&T's practices simply by saying "read the terms of service and the contract".  Of course, they may be right,  but what they seem to ignore are AT&T's anti-consumer policies.  My iPhone 3G is obsolete, but AT&T won't unlock.  We have long held the AT&T service beyond the requisite 2 years, yet they won't unlock. All my iPhones are software unlocked, so AT&T isn't losing anything with me other than rip-off overseas roaming charges.

Soon Sprint will have the iPhone and it's said to be a Sprint network and GSM unlocked device. If so, I would expect to see people jumping from AT&T.   

The unlocked Atrix solution also appears to be a sweet solution.

{Please keep it courteous}

Not "they may be right".  They are right.  Those are AT&T's policies.  I don't think anyone here is saying it's right or wrong.  It's just telling the way that it is.  OK, AT&T may be anti-consumer as you say.  So what?  Saying it over and over in every thread adds no value and doesn't change the fact that they are locked and currently neither AT&T nor Apple will unlock them.  Facts are, until very recently all US iPhones were sold locked, including the 3G you bought.  The iPhone has been around long enough (over 4 years) that it's difficult to believe many people still don't know that, and if you bought it knowing full well that it was locked, there is no indication or promise, implied or otherwise, that it would ever be unlocked.  So what's the issue?  That people think it's unfair?  OK, it may well be.  In that case, go get your iPhone unlocked yourself.  Leave AT&T.  No one will stop you.  And no one forced anyone to buy a locked iPhone, or buy an iPhone at all.  People who signed up with AT&T and bought the iPhone under AT&T's conditions made their own chocie and should accept the consequences of their owndecision.

As far as Sprint getting the phone and people leaving, people swore that once Verizon got the iPhone, AT&T would collapse of it's own inner rottenesss.  Well, that didn't happen.  While it seems that a lot of Verizon customers bought the phone, the number of people who dumped AT&T and ran over to Verizon doesn't seem that great.  At least, not enough to make any real difference.  Maybe it will happen with Sprint.  More likely, it will not.

Not everyone who simply states the facts is a "fan boy".  They are just telling it like it is. 

Message 17 of 18 (613 Views)
Highlighted
Former Moderator

[ Edited ]

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed. I would like to remind all users to always follow the Guidelines when responding.  Thanks. 

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Message 18 of 18 (609 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.