Email bounce back from BB account now that I am using iphone 3Gs

Contributor

Email bounce back from BB account now that I am using iphone 3Gs

I walked into the AT&T store a couple of weeks ago not intending to buy a new phone but...I came out with an iphone 3Gs. Now the problem. I had several email accounts set up in the Blackberry. I did not close those accounts before the iphone was activated. I set up my accounts in the iphone and now if anyone sends an email to my IMAP account, they get an email with the following message:
Delivery Status Notification (Failure)
Fri, January 22, 2010 10:47:55 AM From:
Mail Delivery System <MAILER-DAEMON@mail.bis.na.blackberry.com>
Add to Contacts To: xxxxxxxxxx@bellsouth.net        
Delivery Status Notification (Failure).eml (3KB)

Note: Forwarded message is attached.

The following message to <xxxxxxxx@att.blackberry.net> was undeliverable.
The reason for the problem:
5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'5.1.1 <xxxxxxx@att.blackberry.net>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table'
Reporting-MTA: dns; as38.bis.na.blackberry.com

Final-Recipient: rfc822;xxxxxxxxx@att.blackberry.net
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; [172.20.192.16]
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'5.1.1 <xxxxxxxxx@att.blackberry.net>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table' (delivery attempts: 0)

I have talked to our IT dept and looked my self to see if I have mail forwarding setup to the old BB email address. I do not have an mail rule setup to forward mail to the old BB address. I have talked with AT&T tech support three times this week to try and resolve this issue. The first time I called the lady saw my old BB account and she deleted it. The second time I called the guy contacted someone up higher in the tech support chain. They told him it was a mail rule. The lady I spoke with today said to delete the IMAP account out of the iphone and see if things would clear up. I have deleted the account from the iphone and if an email is sent to the IMAP account, the sender will still get the message above. Can someone give me some insight on how to correct this. Basically, AT&T is at the end of the line with this and my IT dept can't do anything else.

Thanks

Message 1 of 7 (3,557 Views)
Master

Re: Email bounce back from BB account now that I am using iphone 3Gs

Not sure if I understand what you asking.

You cancelled your blackberry service (data plan) but your still wanting to use the blackberry email account on your iPhone?  Is this the ATT provided blackberry mail or is this a balckberry service provided by your employer?

What email account (provider) are you trying to use on your iPhone?

If your blackberry mail is set up and run on your companies servers and people send you email to that company provided address and your getting a user unknow email from the ATT run blackberry mail it would have to be something on your companies end sending it to ATT.

If people are trying to send mail to your old ATT run blackberry email address that you got with your ATT service than should not work as you cancelled your blackberry plan.

Message 2 of 7 (3,546 Views)
Contributor

OK, Sorry for such a long message and I should have proof read it. Kind of got lost in it myself.

1.I don't want to continue using the BB account. I never gave the blackberry email address to anyone.

2. AT&T set me up with the iphone data plan at the same time they removed the blackberry plan from my line. 

3. Before the plans were changed I didn't log into the blackberry internet service and delete all of my email addresses (POP and IMAP)

4. People are sending me mail to my company email address and in turn they get a bounce back saying the message was not delivered to the xxxx@att.blackberry email address that is no longer valid.

5. I have gone over this with our company IT personel and they reassure me that I don't have any mail forwarding to any other service turned on in my copporate email account. They even had me look for my self.

Question is...what will it take to disassociate the blackberry email account that has been deleted by AT&T from my IMAP account thus prevent the bounce backs?

Thanks,

Message 3 of 7 (3,534 Views)
Master

The bounce messages are because ATT has deleted your account.  There is nothing to disassociate.  Its not connected to anything.  This is not an ATT issue.  Something is forwarding your email to ATT.  You have to find that and stop it.  Its not on ATTs side.

Either your current email provider (you said your company) is forwarding your email or something your using that checks your mail is forwarding the emails. 

Are you sure you don't have a Blackberry Desktop Redirector installed on a computer that you might have that connects to your mail. 

Also beside just server side settings, have your checked to ensure your email program is not set up to forward messages.  Mail rules can either be server side or client side.  You have to check both.

Message 4 of 7 (3,532 Views)
Contributor

Thanks for your help. I don't have anything on my computer that redirects emails. I had the IT guy check the server and I checked client portion of lotus notes. No forwarding at either place. I too feel that it is a forwarding rule with lotus notes but it just isn't being found. Looks like it is a problem the people sending me mail will have to deal with until I can get it resolved.

Thanks

Message 5 of 7 (3,508 Views)
Contributor

I just switched from a bb to iPhone 3G s and am having exactly the same problem and IT have not been able to help...how did you solve it?

C

Message 6 of 7 (3,192 Views)
Contributor

Was wondering if anyone ever got this issue resolved?  I realize this thread was started over a year ago but found it my search because I'm having the exact same problem now.  I've tried logging onto the Blackberry Internet Service website to delete the forwarding there but my login is no longer valid because my blackberry is no longer connected because i'm now an iPhone user! HELP!

Message 7 of 7 (1,208 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.