Ask a question

Posted Oct 21, 2010
10:09:40 AM
View profile
Email Sync Issues

I have a iPhone 4 and I have been having an odd problem where the iPhone won't push emails sometimes and it has to be on wireless for it to push. it is struggling catching up from switching from phone to Wi-Fi and almost won't even connect or check mail on the phone. I use my phone a ton for email, apps, ect. Sometimes, I am checking my inbox constantly. For some reason, sometimes it takes me going to my mailbox to actually get the email(by it checking manually and not pushing) and I loose out on seeing messages that are possible extremely important. Push is enabled on my phone and I am not fetching data. This is an exchange account.

Any ideas?

Email Sync Issues

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2010 10:43:11 AM
(0)
Tutor

I am having a similar problem. When I push to update my email it has the spinning circle, but no mail is loaded. I even waited for like 15 minutes before (this was on wifi) and no email came in. I gave up and restarted my phone. The email came in then. I experienced the same problem on data, my email would not load. I don't understand why my email won't load at times on wifi/data. It doesn't make any sense. I shouldn't have to restart my phone whenever I want to check my email...

I'm using Gmail on the iPhone 4.

Re: Email Sync Issues

2 of 8 (2,371 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2010 7:15:27 PM
(0)
Professor

tangenttoyou wrote:

I am having a similar problem. When I push to update my email it has the spinning circle, but no mail is loaded. I even waited for like 15 minutes before (this was on wifi) and no email came in. I gave up and restarted my phone. The email came in then. I experienced the same problem on data, my email would not load. I don't understand why my email won't load at times on wifi/data. It doesn't make any sense. I shouldn't have to restart my phone whenever I want to check my email...

I'm using Gmail on the iPhone 4.

Do you have your Gmail setup as Exchange, or did you click on the Gmail option when setting up the account?

3 of 8 (2,257 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2010 12:02:19 PM
(0)
Tutor

I'm using the gmail option when setting up a mail account.

4 of 8 (2,128 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2010 3:49:00 PM
(0)
Professor

tangenttoyou wrote:

I'm using the gmail option when setting up a mail account.

The most efficient way it to do it as these instructions show. Delete your email on your phone and re-create, following the instructions. Let us know if this helps. Good luck.

5 of 8 (2,101 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2010 4:43:41 PM
(0)
Tutor

thanks for that. I have changed my mail settings to exchange. We'll see if it makes a difference, but now I'm currently not able to see my full inbox (only the past 3 days) I have already changed Mail to Syn to No limit. Do you know how to solve this?

Thanks

6 of 8 (2,090 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2010 6:11:35 PM
(0)
Professor
Any new emails should remain based on the new settings.

7 of 8 (2,072 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2010 10:13:14 AM
(0)
Master

Here is how I setup Gmail using imap.

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/how-to-setup-email-on-the-iphone-access-gmail-on-iphone/

I setup my account using other and not gmail.  I do not like the mailbox behaviors Google uses Microsoft Exchange and/or using the google specific option.  I also set fetch to something other than Manual to ensure it checks for mail every so often.  I then use "GPUsh" to provide alerts.

My biggest complaint with the other options from Google is that when I delete something, I want it to go to the trash and not just have the "inbox" label removed thereby keeping it in "All Mail".  Yes storage is just about unlimited but once I deal with an email, I do not need to keep it around.  Deleteing messages after 30 days is right for me.

This method also allows me to send via gmail as an alias that I use to have all mail sent to then forwarded to either gmail or mobileMe.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

8 of 8 (2,022 Views)