Edge woes.. again!!

Mentor

Edge woes.. again!!

Here I go again with problems with ATT data service. 

I'm in Quartzsite AZ on Edge service, 5 bars -69dBm, Sierra 860, Wilson antenna/amplifier.  Most websites are a crapshoot of hit and miss, chat rooms are all but unuseable. I'm very pleased with the HSDPA service when I can get it, but Edge is just horrible. I was doing better tethering and old Siemens phone pre-Cingular ATT. 

Do I need a new card or a new location?  Should I upgrade my firmware?  BTW, can anyone tell me where (or how to find) the cell towers around here???

I hate this, and it happens a LOT !!!

Message 1 of 5 (2,185 Views)
Master

Re: Edge woes.. again!!

What software are you using with that air card?  The Sierra Watcher software is often more stable than at&t's communications manager but in any event make sure you have the latest version of whichever one you are using.
Message 2 of 5 (2,166 Views)
Mentor

I have the Sierra watcher, firmware up to date.  Nothing is wrong wih my stuff.  I've come to the inescapable conclusion that if you don't have 3g service in a metro area, you don't have much.  I was doing better years ago tethering a phone. 

I'm dumping this and going with Verizon at my next possible opportunity.  I'm paying $60 a month for this nonsense.
Message 3 of 5 (2,131 Views)

Are you one of the desert dweller's there in Quartzite?
I drive through there quite often on my way to and from Calif. I have found that just moving a short distance, makes a big difference. I am not refering to signal strength here. Can have 5 bar's at the Pilot truckstop and have a terrible connection. Drive across the freeway to the Love's, have 5 bar's and a great(meaning fast) connection. It's not 3G but fast to me.
As a side note, it seems that having 5 bar's does not indicate the best, fastest connection. I have had great connection's with only 2-3 bar's.
I think it has a lot to do with the tower equipment itself.
Just my observation's.
Message 4 of 5 (2,089 Views)
Highlighted
Mentor

I have been moving around, trying to find a better data connection.  It seem's the cell phone signal strength has little to do with how well the internet will work.  It's frustrating to say the least. 

This is the same frustration I reported last year in CO and WY.  Entire section's of the state's where I got nothing, and where I did get something the connection was intermittent at best.

Thank's for your reply.  Gotta love apostrophe's.
Message 5 of 5 (2,081 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.