Early termination/adding a line.

Early termination/adding a line.

I have 5 lines on my family plan account. Two of which have upgrades in May.

However, I don't want to wait that long, and want a 3GS.

In theory..., can I cancel one of those lines with a reduced early termination fee, and then just add another line again and get a new 3GS at a discounted price? This way it would still be cheaper than dealing with buying a phone elsewhere and be brand new.

Will this work?

Message 1 of 6 (632 Views)
Highlighted
Master

Re: Early termination/adding a line.

AllredFamily wrote:

I have 5 lines on my family plan account. Two of which have upgrades in May.

However, I don't want to wait that long, and want a 3GS.

In theory..., can I cancel one of those lines with a reduced early termination fee, and then just add another line again and get a new 3GS at a discounted price? This way it would still be cheaper than dealing with buying a phone elsewhere and be brand new.

Will this work?

Not likely... If its within 180 days AT&T will make you reinstate the line you cancelled.  

You can contact customer service to see if you qualify for a "early upgrade" (However, it won't work for the IPhone). 

Message 2 of 6 (630 Views)

So you're saying if I add a line RIGHT after I pay the ETF, and it's obvously going to be with in 180 days, they will more than likely make me reinstate it?

Well that makes no sense at all. I have 5 lines on my family plan, my wifes, mine, my grandmothers, mother in law, and sister in law.

What if my sister in law wants out, and my brother in law wants in. Doesn't seem fair.

If I pay the ETF, I should be able to do what I want because I'm playing by their rules (i.e. the termination fee/fee for new phone/activation/etc).

Message 3 of 6 (627 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

Well, if the only reason you are cancelling a line only to turn around and activate a new line is so that you can get a discounted phone that you don't currently qualify for, you aren't really playing by their rules, you're trying to find a way around them.  AT&T closed that loophole up a long time ago. 

Message Edited by Athena on 01-31-2010 03:03:22 PM
Message 4 of 6 (624 Views)
Professor

yea, if you want to do it, you need to start the new line first, then cancel the line that you want to get rid of, now the new line can't be in the family plan until you have the other line cancelled tho

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 6 (613 Views)
Former Employee

Do you know about the early upgrade option? You can get an iPhone 3GS 16GB for $399 instead of $599. In most cases this price is cheaper than doing what you've planed. 

Message 6 of 6 (611 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.