Early Upgrade to same iPhone?

Teacher

Early Upgrade to same iPhone?

Hi folks,

I currently have an iPhone 4, when I currently login I am offered another iPhone 4 for early upgrade, for $400. It says it'll add 2 years to my account.

I'm very happy with AT&T so the contract isn't an issue.

My iPhone 4 has an annoying scratch on the screen that affects the touch a bit. If I do the upgrade now, will I be able to sell the old one on eBay like I did my old iPhone 3G (as long as I describe it accurately, of course) to make some of the $400 I am spending back? Is there any other issue with such an early upgrade I should be aware of??

Thank you in advance for reading and any help.

Tim.

Message 1 of 7 (394 Views)

Re: Early Upgrade to same iPhone?

If I were you, and not being technical (assumption) I would pay a 3rd party to replace the glass (cheap part)  and use the upgrade for the new iPhone 5.

Message 2 of 7 (374 Views)
Professor

If you really, really want to throw away $400, go right ahead.

Or you can go to Apple and spend $199 for an Out of Warranty replacement, it would be the exact same as your current device.

You could also inquire about screen replacements at the Apple store, or as wireless-user suggested look for a local place to replace the screen for significantly less than the early upgrade price.

Message 3 of 7 (354 Views)
Expert

timwheatley wrote:

Hi folks,

I currently have an iPhone 4, when I currently login I am offered another iPhone 4 for early upgrade, for $400. It says it'll add 2 years to my account.

I'm very happy with AT&T so the contract isn't an issue.

My iPhone 4 has an annoying scratch on the screen that affects the touch a bit. If I do the upgrade now, will I be able to sell the old one on eBay like I did my old iPhone 3G (as long as I describe it accurately, of course) to make some of the $400 I am spending back? Is there any other issue with such an early upgrade I should be aware of??

Thank you in advance for reading and any help.

Tim.

Isn;t there a 250.00 early upgrade charge also - above and beyond the cost of the phone?

Message 4 of 7 (339 Views)
Professor

I thought the $200 on top of the full discount price was essentially the early upgrade charge.
Message 5 of 7 (295 Views)
Teacher

Thanks folks. I guess I can put up with it a while longer. It'd be nice to spend 200 instead of 400, or upgrade to the iPhone 5 and sell the 4 as-is.

Thanks.

Message 6 of 7 (292 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master

timwheatley wrote:

Thanks folks. I guess I can put up with it a while longer. It'd be nice to spend 200 instead of 400, or upgrade to the iPhone 5 and sell the 4 as-is.

Thanks.

If you r current iPhone 4 is still under warrantee, then I would suggest making an appointment at an Apple Genius Bar.  You can go in and explain the issue to them and they might tell you it will cost $199 for an out of warrantee repair, or they may just tell you that they will make an exception and replace it for you for free.  I know of a few people who have gone in with shattered screens and gotten free replaements from Apple.  In that case, it will only cost you a little time, and in the worst case, you are where you are now, but in the best case, you will have a "new" iPhone to use until the next upgrade comes along...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 7 (252 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.