ETF Question and selling iphone 4

Tutor

ETF Question and selling iphone 4

Three people on my wireless plan (family members) are eligible for an upgrade. They have all preordered the iphone 4, but dont really want it. If they were to go pick them up at the store and ask to activate at home themselves but sell them on ebay, what kind of fees or penalties could happen? What are the risks?

Message 1 of 37 (4,400 Views)
Contributor

Re: ETF Question and selling iphone 4

brightlightparis wrote:

I have a sort of related question to this thread. I read the posts and I kind of understand the gist of it. My question is the people who are selling the iphone 4 on ebay (supposedly unlocked), aren't those phones tied to their (the sellers) names/current accounts?? If one were to buy one, how would the buyer use it? Wouldn't they (the buyer) need to break the contract associated with the seller's account?? (Or is it possible that the seller's have already broken their contract? But if from previous posts a buyer needs to have the phone for 30 days to break the contract and pay the ETF, how are these sellers doing it - taking into account it's the first of July and the phones have only been on the market for 2 weeks)

No, the contract is with the line of service, not the phone itself.  If someone already has service, they should have no issues activating the phone and later reformatting it at home.  

For the 32GB model they are already available for $699.99 direct from ATT.  Now these are locked but those advertising them as unlocked are using free software online to do it.  Going this route and knowing that eBay gets $750-850 for those models (or 1100+ 2-3 weeks ago) it was well worth even the full price.

Message 31 of 37 (1,116 Views)
Contributor

lucid155 wrote:
Got the phones. Is It possible to take them back to the apple store and reactIvate our old iPhones and be able to keep the 4's and sell them with no hidden fees?

Yes absolutely, see my post 2 above this one.  Good luck buddy and enjoy the extra cash you make!

Message 32 of 37 (1,116 Views)
Professor

spawn026 wrote:

josephz2va wrote:

After 30 days that applies. There's a restock fee but no $350 charge. After the 30 days if you are unsatisfied, it's not charged.

thats true, but he asks about selling the phones on ebay

yes you can sell on ebay. better Hurry before the fad dies down  and the bids/prices go down. the ppl on your paln who upgraded just tell them to keep there old phones. and they can sell the Iphone 4.but remember you have to keep the service going.

Message 33 of 37 (1,108 Views)
Scholar

Message 34 of 37 (1,087 Views)
Contributor

There is 100% nothing morally or legally wrong with upgrading to a new phone, and selling either your old phone or the new phone on ebay.

That being said, I have the 3gs and want to keep using it, and could use a few hundred bucks in my pocket.   So if I upgrade to the 4g, and sell it on ebay....

#1  Do I have to sell it as "Locked", it seems like all the phones on ebay are "unlocked".

#2  Can I leave the SIM Card in it? or is that sim card attached to my account, and therefore any usage or activations done on the phone will go against my account?

#3  I chatted with att&t, and they said something about if you dont activate your phone within 30 days of it shipping, they will charge you the full price of the phone. (so if you got the upgrade discount of $300, then they will charge that to your account.  Is that actually true?

Has anyone upgraded to the 4g, sold it on ebay, and continued to use their older model?  if so, can you please outline the steps or any problems in doing it.

Message 35 of 37 (964 Views)
Scholar

moneymm wrote:

There is 100% nothing morally or legally wrong with upgrading to a new phone, and selling either your old phone or the new phone on ebay.

That being said, I have the 3gs and want to keep using it, and could use a few hundred bucks in my pocket.   So if I upgrade to the 4g, and sell it on ebay....

#1  Do I have to sell it as "Locked", it seems like all the phones on ebay are "unlocked".

#2  Can I leave the SIM Card in it? or is that sim card attached to my account, and therefore any usage or activations done on the phone will go against my account?

#3  I chatted with att&t, and they said something about if you dont activate your phone within 30 days of it shipping, they will charge you the full price of the phone. (so if you got the upgrade discount of $300, then they will charge that to your account.  Is that actually true?

Has anyone upgraded to the 4g, sold it on ebay, and continued to use their older model?  if so, can you please outline the steps or any problems in doing it.

1. You can still sell it as locked, as people will still buy them.

2. The sim card is attached to your number, but i think if you don't activate it you can probably leave the sim card but it would be complicated for them so you might as well take the sim card out because it will be useless.

3. If AT&T have said that, then it is probably true but I wouldn't know about that.

As for me, I sold my iphone 3G and gave my 3G S to my sister. So I have the iphone 4 and using the iphone 4.

Message 36 of 37 (947 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

Well this thread looks to have been dug up from 2 months ago. So I wonder what was the OPs outcome. If he bought them for 300 and sold them for 1100 then he made 2400 off the 3 phones. As for me my contract isn't up for renewal until feb 16, 2011. Then I will sell my 3G and get a iPhone4. May also wait until June when the i5 comes out and then buy the 4 and save some money. They always come down on the price then.

Message 37 of 37 (927 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.