ETF Question and selling iphone 4

Tutor

ETF Question and selling iphone 4

Three people on my wireless plan (family members) are eligible for an upgrade. They have all preordered the iphone 4, but dont really want it. If they were to go pick them up at the store and ask to activate at home themselves but sell them on ebay, what kind of fees or penalties could happen? What are the risks?

Message 1 of 37 (4,399 Views)
Scholar

Re: ETF Question and selling iphone 4

350 per line

Message 2 of 37 (4,388 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

After 30 days that applies. There's a restock fee but no $350 charge. After the 30 days if you are unsatisfied, it's not charged.

Message 3 of 37 (4,366 Views)
Scholar

josephz2va wrote:

After 30 days that applies. There's a restock fee but no $350 charge. After the 30 days if you are unsatisfied, it's not charged.

thats true, but he asks about selling the phones on ebay
Message 4 of 37 (4,350 Views)
Professor

Also, don't you have to wait 30 days to pay the EFT and cancel?  If think if it's less than 30, you have to return the phone.

Seems if they preordered the phone and don't want it, best thing to do is cancel it now.  Getting it in hopes of quickly flipping it on eBay for big bucks seems risky.

Message 5 of 37 (4,330 Views)
Tutor

So the real answer is if i get it for $300 and sell it for 1100 on ebay. THe ETF and other fees will probably cancel it out. Making this move illogical?

Message 6 of 37 (4,291 Views)
Tutor

Also if i have the 3gs and i want an iphone 4 but am not eligible for the 2 year price can i have one of them buy the new phone and then just activate it under my number? Will this bring me any fees?

Message 7 of 37 (4,289 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

Well, if you buy it for $300, then cancel and pay the $350 EFT, and sell it for $1100, you obviously make money.  But, who's to say you'll be able to sell it for $1100?

I think for people on the Family Plan, someone on the plan can transfer their upgrade eligibilty to another person on the plan, so you should be able to do that.

Message 8 of 37 (4,286 Views)
Master

lucid155 wrote:

So the real answer is if i get it for $300 and sell it for 1100 on ebay. THe ETF and other fees will probably cancel it out. Making this move illogical?

Why would someone buy an iphone 4 at $1100 when Apple will sell it to you for $699 and no committment?  Yes there will be some who want it on day one who cannot wait for fresh stock to come in the next day or so........

If you think you have it figured out, go for it! 

[Rant on] I hate how folks ask here how to scam the system causing the rest of us to have to jump through more hoops the next time as Apple and ATT try to close these loopholes...[Rant Off]

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 9 of 37 (4,257 Views)
Scholar

[Rant on] I hate how folks ask here how to scam the system causing the rest of us to have to jump through more hoops the next time as Apple and ATT try to close these loopholes...[Rant Off]

I agree, cancel the preorder and let the people who really want the phone get a chance in the line. Doing stuff like this is why people get higher etf's and stricter guidelines for preorders

Message 10 of 37 (4,248 Views)
ACE - Master

lucid155 wrote:

The ETF fee applies only if you cancel your service. You could also keep your service and re-use your old phone. Then you can do whatever you want with your Iphone4.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 11 of 37 (2,875 Views)
Tutor

So i could buy an iphone and sell it and continue to use my 3gs and not have to pay any fees?

Message 12 of 37 (2,844 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

Assuming you're just upgrading your existing number, the SIM in your 3GS will stop working after you activate the 4.  To reactivate the 3GS, I guess you'd have to transfer the microSIM from the 4 to the3GS (if that would work), and sell the 4 without the microSIM.  You'd still be locked into the new contract you signed when you got the 4.

Message 13 of 37 (2,839 Views)
JSY
Scholar

Why don't you just come out and say that you preordered 3 iPhone4s with the intention of selling them on eBay for a profit.  The first 3 people who really wanted it and tried to order the phone but missed out due to depleted stock would like to thank you.

Message 14 of 37 (2,815 Views)
Tutor

Thats Exactly what im trying to do. But will i get a bunch of fees involved with that? Or can i safely do it?

Message 15 of 37 (2,801 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.