Dropped calls becoming ridiculous

Scholar

Re: Dropped calls becoming ridiculous

That is correct.  But I can't get either voice nor data 1/2 mile from a tower.  I assume that tower is for both voice and data.
Message 16 of 30 (387 Views)
Scholar

Turning off 3g will also give you better battery life on long calls, by nature of technology.
Message 17 of 30 (385 Views)
Professor

JREwing53 wrote:
That is correct.  But I can't get either voice nor data 1/2 mile from a tower.  I assume that tower is for both voice and data.

I assume that as well, it's just that you mentioned that is was a 3G tower. No harm though, and I do understand about dropping calls. Are you using an iPhone? I ask because of the artical completed by Cnet reviewers pertaining to crappy call handling by the iPhone. You can read it here. It sure would rub my fur the wrong way if I found this out after buying one...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zombie Hunter Mission Statement

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall
Message 18 of 30 (381 Views)
Mentor

Message 19 of 30 (370 Views)
Scholar

I am using an Iphone.  But I tried out a Blackberry Bold 9700 for a week and had the same reception problems.  So I concluded that the problem is not with the device.  I can tell you that the battery life was much better with the Blackberry.

So frustrating when you are only 1/2 mile from the tower. 

Message 20 of 30 (362 Views)
Highlighted
Mentor

ghostryder wrote:

JREwing53 wrote:
Dropped calls are routine for me.  And I work 1/2 mile from an AT&T 3G tower.  Very frustrating.

Now please don't take this the wrong way, OK? But AT&T voice calls do not use 3G, 3G is used for data transmission I believe.

That is not correct. In UMTS (3G GSM) voice and data is carried on the same channel. That's why you can have an active data session and voice call in progress at the same time. EVDO (3G CDMA) on the other hand only carries data, and there is a separate channel for voice, and that's why you can't have both at the same time without having two radios.

Message 21 of 30 (433 Views)
Scholar

Get the ATT Mark the Spot app for the iphone,lets you essenially report network issues to att.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 22 of 30 (428 Views)
Professor

praptis wrote:

ghostryder wrote:

JREwing53 wrote:
Dropped calls are routine for me.  And I work 1/2 mile from an AT&T 3G tower.  Very frustrating.

Now please don't take this the wrong way, OK? But AT&T voice calls do not use 3G, 3G is used for data transmission I believe.

That is not correct. In UMTS (3G GSM) voice and data is carried on the same channel. That's why you can have an active data session and voice call in progress at the same time. EVDO (3G CDMA) on the other hand only carries data, and there is a separate channel for voice, and that's why you can't have both at the same time without having two radios.

Thanks for that information praptis, I'll keep this in my notes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zombie Hunter Mission Statement

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall
Message 23 of 30 (416 Views)
Tutor

As an update to my original thread. Turning 3G off on my iPhone greatly improves calls. While using it this weekend, no dropped calls! Also, appreciate everyone's input and comments on the thread. Did anyone catch the news? Prices dropped for most plans today by AT&T and Verizon. You have to contact AT&T to get the reduced rate.
Message 24 of 30 (396 Views)

Just thought you would like to know the reason it works better with 3G off, the iPhone has a Sub-par 3G radio antennae so when the iphone makes calls on 3g and when the phone looses signal due too the poor antenna the call drops, the phone also uses 3g for data but when the signal drops for data its no big deal, the phone reconnects, and continues downloading, that is why people have problems with calls while on 3g but still can use data with seemingly little issue.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 25 of 30 (381 Views)
Voyager

I also have the Blackberry Bold and have had so many problems since switching to 3G.  I was told that so many people have switched to Iphones, AT&T wasn't prepared for it and cannot handle the amount of users on their network.  This is very frustrating, as I have called customer service and technical support many times to pinpoint the exact locations of the dropped calls and poor service, but they are not able to do a thing for me.  Contract's up in April....I wish there was something they could tell me that would mean they are actually in the process of addressing these issues.
Message 26 of 30 (364 Views)
Tutor

I totally agree. I could easily give a service provider some slack if they just came out and said, "we rcognize there is an issue and we are working 24/7 to resolve it by improving 'x' or upgrading 'y'. This area will see improvement by 'z'. Instead, do you hear the crickets?

Is anyone lobbying Apple to drop it's exclusivity agreement with AT&T? It ends this summer, right?

Also, I downloaded the "Mark the Spot" app on my iPhone. Works pretty easily. At least I feel like I'm notifying AT&T of the exact place and time of the dropped call.

Message 27 of 30 (354 Views)

Cmrjm wrote:
I also have the Blackberry Bold and have had so many problems since switching to 3G.  I was told that so many people have switched to Iphones, AT&T wasn't prepared for it and cannot handle the amount of users on their network.  This is very frustrating, as I have called customer service and technical support many times to pinpoint the exact locations of the dropped calls and poor service, but they are not able to do a thing for me.  Contract's up in April....I wish there was something they could tell me that would mean they are actually in the process of addressing these issues.

try using the mark the spot app to report your specific location when having troubles, also att is going to have all of thier 3g upgraded to hsdpa speeds by the end of the year, and they have doubled their backend bandwith to support more users.

Message 28 of 30 (340 Views)
Voyager

Is the marks the spot app available for Blackberry?  If so, can you let me know how I can get it? 

Well AT&T called me back yesterday and they are convinced it's my phone and not their service.  They wanted me to switch out SIM cards with my husband, who has a curve.  I did and pages seemed to load a bit faster, so I will have them send me a new SIM card and see if that helps any. 

Can anyone tell me what the benefits are to the GMA network as opposed to the CDMA network?

Thanks again.

Christine

Message 29 of 30 (330 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

Cmrjm wrote:

Is the marks the spot app available for Blackberry?  If so, can you let me know how I can get it? 

Well AT&T called me back yesterday and they are convinced it's my phone and not their service.  They wanted me to switch out SIM cards with my husband, who has a curve.  I did and pages seemed to load a bit faster, so I will have them send me a new SIM card and see if that helps any. 

Can anyone tell me what the benefits are to the GMA network as opposed to the CDMA network?

Thanks again.

Christine

The mark the spot app is currently only available for the iphone.

Benefits to GSM 3G (HSPA) over CDMA 3G (EVDO) are faster wireless transfers* and ability to do voice and data communication simultaneously (ie- surf the net while talking). Also, the rest of the world uses GSM, so if you go overseas you can bring your phone and use it (just remember to get an international plan first).

*Theoretically. In real life, ATT's backend is so congested that Verizon is actually faster in many areas- here in east Orlando, service is horrible and Verizon mobile download speeds are nearly twice what mine report (go to dslreports.com, click on tools and mobile speed tests). Not to mention the dropped calls, and the occasional text message that gets delayed by several min. I don't see much of a difference between edge and 3G speeds where I live.

Message Edited by Corneliusm on 01-21-2010 10:05:40 AM
Message 30 of 30 (319 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.