Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 27, 2010
12:26:51 PM
View profile
Dropped WiFi Calls Help

I'm having the same troubles as many others on this forum with my iPhone dropping WiFi calls.  I've talked to tech support several times but no help.  I've been to the AT&T store and they say, sorry, this is not our problem since UVerse is a different company.

Prior to installing UVerse we had AT&T with a DSL and WiFi through Airport Express that worked fine, but no longer.

I wonder about several things:

1.  I've logged my phone into the UVerse router with the password and am within two feet of the router with full "bars" (the apple wifi single is very strong on the phone as it is on our laptops).  Why would my phone keep dropping calls and have poor reception (people can't hear me and I can't hear them...)?

2.  This same scenario holds for my wife's iPhone and laptop, too.  How could two iPhones have the same trouble?

Any help would be appreciated.  

John

Athens, GA 

I'm having the same troubles as many others on this forum with my iPhone dropping WiFi calls.  I've talked to tech support several times but no help.  I've been to the AT&T store and they say, sorry, this is not our problem since UVerse is a different company.

Prior to installing UVerse we had AT&T with a DSL and WiFi through Airport Express that worked fine, but no longer.

I wonder about several things:

1.  I've logged my phone into the UVerse router with the password and am within two feet of the router with full "bars" (the apple wifi single is very strong on the phone as it is on our laptops).  Why would my phone keep dropping calls and have poor reception (people can't hear me and I can't hear them...)?

2.  This same scenario holds for my wife's iPhone and laptop, too.  How could two iPhones have the same trouble?

Any help would be appreciated.  

John

Athens, GA 

Dropped WiFi Calls Help

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2010 12:34:08 PM
(0)
Professor

The iPhone does not make or receive calls via Wi-Fi.

The fact that you are connected to your Wi-Fi network while making calls has no bearing on your connectivity or dropped calls.

The Internet access you have in your home again has no bearing on your ability to make/receive calls or those calls being dropped.

Calls can only be made via the cellular network on the iPhone.  (Caveat: installing a VOIP application like Skype or Vonage will allow for calls over Wi-Fi).

Are you in a 3G coverage area?

Are you getting a good 3G or EDGE signal?

Have you tried turning off 3G?

The iPhone does not make or receive calls via Wi-Fi.

The fact that you are connected to your Wi-Fi network while making calls has no bearing on your connectivity or dropped calls.

The Internet access you have in your home again has no bearing on your ability to make/receive calls or those calls being dropped.

Calls can only be made via the cellular network on the iPhone.  (Caveat: installing a VOIP application like Skype or Vonage will allow for calls over Wi-Fi).

Are you in a 3G coverage area?

Are you getting a good 3G or EDGE signal?

Have you tried turning off 3G?

Re: Dropped WiFi Calls Help

2 of 14 (3,291 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2010 12:39:10 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yes, the iPhone does make WiFi calls.  I just turned off the 3G network and called my wife and it worked.  I've got no cell tower signal at all and it made the call...

Some of the other forums on dropped WiFi calls suggested turning off the 3G.  I have no idea why this was needed, but it seems to have helped my situation.

John

Athens, GA 

Yes, the iPhone does make WiFi calls.  I just turned off the 3G network and called my wife and it worked.  I've got no cell tower signal at all and it made the call...

Some of the other forums on dropped WiFi calls suggested turning off the 3G.  I have no idea why this was needed, but it seems to have helped my situation.

John

Athens, GA 

3 of 14 (3,287 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2010 12:48:21 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by 300k on Jan 27, 2010 at 12:49:30 PM
Go to Settings => Airplane Mode => ON, then turn ON WiFi and try making call. iPhone only makes calls using Cellular Network. 
Message Edited by 300k on 01-27-2010 02:49:30 PM
Go to Settings => Airplane Mode => ON, then turn ON WiFi and try making call. iPhone only makes calls using Cellular Network. 
Message Edited by 300k on 01-27-2010 02:49:30 PM

[ Edited ]
4 of 14 (3,281 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2010 12:55:42 PM
(0)
Professor

jdhoge wrote:

John

Athens, GA 

Sorry, but you are misinformed.

AT&T does not offer/sell any phone that makes calls via Wi-Fi (without installing a VOIP application).

Turning off 3G on the iPhone only turns off 3G.  The phone then reverts back to EDGE.  If you are really way out of civilization it will revert to GPRS.

As 300k stated, turn on Airplane mode then turn on Wi-Fi if you do not believe what we are telling you.  Wi-Fi is only for data, not voice.

If other forums are discussing dropped Wi-Fi calls on the iPhone, it is only because they are mis-informed as to how the device works.

jdhoge wrote:

John

Athens, GA 

Sorry, but you are misinformed.

AT&T does not offer/sell any phone that makes calls via Wi-Fi (without installing a VOIP application).

Turning off 3G on the iPhone only turns off 3G.  The phone then reverts back to EDGE.  If you are really way out of civilization it will revert to GPRS.

As 300k stated, turn on Airplane mode then turn on Wi-Fi if you do not believe what we are telling you.  Wi-Fi is only for data, not voice.

If other forums are discussing dropped Wi-Fi calls on the iPhone, it is only because they are mis-informed as to how the device works.

5 of 14 (3,273 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2010 1:20:42 PM
(0)
Scholar

I can make calls through wifi? That means I would not need an ATT voice plan. Wait, let me try it first........

*5 mins later...

...ummm, it does not work.

P.S.

I actually knew it was not going to work. I was just trying to be funny, but good luck to the OP with getting that to work.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

I can make calls through wifi? That means I would not need an ATT voice plan. Wait, let me try it first........

*5 mins later...

...ummm, it does not work.

P.S.

I actually knew it was not going to work. I was just trying to be funny, but good luck to the OP with getting that to work.

6 of 14 (3,254 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2010 3:53:18 PM
(0)
Tutor

Okay, so how come our AT&T store representatives say, "Yes, it does make WiFi, calls." when asked.  Are they saying "Yes, if you install Vonage or some other VOIP application?"  I don't think so.  Also, since I have virtually no cell tower signal, how can the phone function at all, whether Edge or 3G?  Sorry, but I don't understand that as I don't have any VOIP application installed on my iPhone.

Okay, so how come our AT&T store representatives say, "Yes, it does make WiFi, calls." when asked.  Are they saying "Yes, if you install Vonage or some other VOIP application?"  I don't think so.  Also, since I have virtually no cell tower signal, how can the phone function at all, whether Edge or 3G?  Sorry, but I don't understand that as I don't have any VOIP application installed on my iPhone.

7 of 14 (3,217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2010 4:28:21 PM
(0)
Professor

You are getting coverage, bars on the phone honestly have little to no correlation to actual signal strength.  There is no industry standard that says 1 bar equals x, 2 bars equals 2x, or 3 bars equals y.  Each manufacturer chooses how to interpret the signal strength and display into bars.

If you were truely getting no coverage, you would get a message on the screen showing no signal or a tower with a slash through it.

The iPhone does not and cannot make calls via Wi-Fi without installing a VOIP application.

Anyone that tells you otherwise is either mis-informed or flat out lying to you.

You are getting coverage, bars on the phone honestly have little to no correlation to actual signal strength.  There is no industry standard that says 1 bar equals x, 2 bars equals 2x, or 3 bars equals y.  Each manufacturer chooses how to interpret the signal strength and display into bars.

If you were truely getting no coverage, you would get a message on the screen showing no signal or a tower with a slash through it.

The iPhone does not and cannot make calls via Wi-Fi without installing a VOIP application.

Anyone that tells you otherwise is either mis-informed or flat out lying to you.

8 of 14 (3,206 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2010 5:19:40 PM
(0)
Tutor

I've spent some time now talking to an AT&T tech and you are correct iPhone does not make WiFi calls without adding on a VOIP application such as SKYPE, iCall, or Vonage and these all result in extra charges.  Apple says, "Yes it makes WiFi calls" and the AT&T SALES reps say "Yes it makes WiFi calls" but these are essentially misrepresentations of the truth.  Anyone hoping to make WiFi calls on their wireless network at home or at work is being misled--unless, of course, they purchase some sort of VOIP iPhone application and pay what charges accrue for such use.

I apologize for my own ignorance and can only hope that this situation is not repeated.

John

Athens, GA 

I've spent some time now talking to an AT&T tech and you are correct iPhone does not make WiFi calls without adding on a VOIP application such as SKYPE, iCall, or Vonage and these all result in extra charges.  Apple says, "Yes it makes WiFi calls" and the AT&T SALES reps say "Yes it makes WiFi calls" but these are essentially misrepresentations of the truth.  Anyone hoping to make WiFi calls on their wireless network at home or at work is being misled--unless, of course, they purchase some sort of VOIP iPhone application and pay what charges accrue for such use.

I apologize for my own ignorance and can only hope that this situation is not repeated.

John

Athens, GA 

9 of 14 (3,192 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2010 5:25:07 PM
(0)
Former Employee
Respect
Respect

10 of 14 (3,186 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2010 3:21:24 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Helmsman on Jan 28, 2010 at 3:55:48 PM
It boggles my mind people just buy stuff without having any idea of how it works.{ please be courteous} And no, no one mislead you the iPhone does make wifi calls, you just need an app. Thats not misleading, as it does make calls. You're just all sorts of fail is the problem
Message Edited by Helmsman on 01-28-2010 03:55:48 PM
It boggles my mind people just buy stuff without having any idea of how it works.{ please be courteous} And no, no one mislead you the iPhone does make wifi calls, you just need an app. Thats not misleading, as it does make calls. You're just all sorts of fail is the problem
Message Edited by Helmsman on 01-28-2010 03:55:48 PM

[ Edited ]
11 of 14 (1,237 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2010 5:57:57 PM
(0)
Contributor

iphone is a total piece of crap. Nothing but dropped calls for 3 days. It really impresses my customers when they get hung up on. Thanks Apple.

Even during the short periods it does work people can't hear me. But then it doesn't really matter cause it always drops the call anyway.

Bought this piece of garbage at walmart and they have a 30 day money back guarantee. I'm taking this FKN piece of crap back and cancelling my contract with ATT.

Shove it Apple.

iphone is a total piece of crap. Nothing but dropped calls for 3 days. It really impresses my customers when they get hung up on. Thanks Apple.

Even during the short periods it does work people can't hear me. But then it doesn't really matter cause it always drops the call anyway.

Bought this piece of garbage at walmart and they have a 30 day money back guarantee. I'm taking this FKN piece of crap back and cancelling my contract with ATT.

Shove it Apple.

12 of 14 (916 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2010 9:30:52 PM
(0)
Scholar
i will give you 50 bucks for that pcs of trash.
i will give you 50 bucks for that pcs of trash.

13 of 14 (897 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2010 8:26:14 AM
(0)
Professor

audioforge wrote:

Shove it Apple.

So what does your rant have to do with this topic?

If you are having network connectivity issues that could be a bad device or you simply could be in an area with low coverage.

Based on your rant, I would guess you are in a bad coverage area... maybe you should have investigated the service better prior to switching.  It seems like another cell provider would benefit you more.  That doesn't make Apple bad or the iPhone a piece of crap.

Service and coverage varies, it is up to YOU the user to determine what works best for you.

audioforge wrote:

Shove it Apple.

So what does your rant have to do with this topic?

If you are having network connectivity issues that could be a bad device or you simply could be in an area with low coverage.

Based on your rant, I would guess you are in a bad coverage area... maybe you should have investigated the service better prior to switching.  It seems like another cell provider would benefit you more.  That doesn't make Apple bad or the iPhone a piece of crap.

Service and coverage varies, it is up to YOU the user to determine what works best for you.

14 of 14 (872 Views)