Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 28, 2011
6:32:48 AM
View profile
Double entry in phone book on HTC Inspire

My wife and I have recently purchased 2 HTC Inspire phones and have had all of our contacts transferred from our previously used phones.

On my new phone, when I look at the list of contacts, I see two entries for each contact.  One entry has a "blacked out" picture of the contact, and the entry directly below that shows the same name and phone number with the symbol for the SD card to the left.

I know that one set of contacts is stored on the internal memory of the phone and the second set of contacts is on my SD card in the phone.

Since this makes my total list of entries in the phone book twice as long as it needs to be, is it possible to eliminate this "double" entry ?  I don't need to actually "remove" the second list from the phone, but it would be nice if I didn't see so many contacts when I look up a phone number.

I might add, that my wife's phone has only one list appearing on her phone.

Thanks for your help.

Hanagan

My wife and I have recently purchased 2 HTC Inspire phones and have had all of our contacts transferred from our previously used phones.

On my new phone, when I look at the list of contacts, I see two entries for each contact.  One entry has a "blacked out" picture of the contact, and the entry directly below that shows the same name and phone number with the symbol for the SD card to the left.

I know that one set of contacts is stored on the internal memory of the phone and the second set of contacts is on my SD card in the phone.

Since this makes my total list of entries in the phone book twice as long as it needs to be, is it possible to eliminate this "double" entry ?  I don't need to actually "remove" the second list from the phone, but it would be nice if I didn't see so many contacts when I look up a phone number.

I might add, that my wife's phone has only one list appearing on her phone.

Thanks for your help.

Hanagan

Double entry in phone book on HTC Inspire

19 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(19)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2011 6:55:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Jun 28, 2011 at 6:57:19 AM

Now that you have a Google account, my suggestion would be to  just dump the SD card contacts.  As long as you are certain all pieces of contact info (cell/work/home phone, email, physical address) are duplicated.  All your contacts (the ones stored on the phone) are now stored to your contacts in GMail, whether you really use Gmail or not.  No need to have 2 sets of contacts.  And you don't need to worry about migrating your contacts to another phone over an SD card now.  If you switch to another Android phone, the contacts will automagically sync when you first startup the phone and enter your Google login info.  If you want to switch to just about any other phone OS (iPhone, Blackberry, Windows Phone), Google Sync will let you sync the contacts in a similar way, over the internet with just an couple extra steps.

Now that you have a Google account, my suggestion would be to  just dump the SD card contacts.  As long as you are certain all pieces of contact info (cell/work/home phone, email, physical address) are duplicated.  All your contacts (the ones stored on the phone) are now stored to your contacts in GMail, whether you really use Gmail or not.  No need to have 2 sets of contacts.  And you don't need to worry about migrating your contacts to another phone over an SD card now.  If you switch to another Android phone, the contacts will automagically sync when you first startup the phone and enter your Google login info.  If you want to switch to just about any other phone OS (iPhone, Blackberry, Windows Phone), Google Sync will let you sync the contacts in a similar way, over the internet with just an couple extra steps.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Double entry in phone book on HTC Inspire

[ Edited ]
2 of 20 (1,970 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2011 9:14:12 AM
(0)
Teacher

redpoint73,

You wrote " my suggestion would be to just dump the SD card contacts."

Please clarify exactly how that is done.  Do I need to delete each entry, one at at time ?  Or is there a setting that would cause the SD contacts to "not appear" ? Or, do I remove the SD card ? ( I'm not sure what that SD card actually does )

Thanks for your help, especially the explaination about how my contacts are stored with Gnail.

Hanagan

redpoint73,

You wrote " my suggestion would be to just dump the SD card contacts."

Please clarify exactly how that is done.  Do I need to delete each entry, one at at time ?  Or is there a setting that would cause the SD contacts to "not appear" ? Or, do I remove the SD card ? ( I'm not sure what that SD card actually does )

Thanks for your help, especially the explaination about how my contacts are stored with Gnail.

Hanagan

3 of 20 (1,963 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2011 12:03:39 PM
(0)
Guru

If you don't have your HTC Inspire manual, you can download one, and save it to your 'desktop,' for quick reference.

Go to the "About People," then to "Setting up my contact card." The following pages after that, will tell you, in detail, everything you should need to know.

If you don't have your HTC Inspire manual, you can download one, and save it to your 'desktop,' for quick reference.

Go to the "About People," then to "Setting up my contact card." The following pages after that, will tell you, in detail, everything you should need to know.

4 of 20 (1,953 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2011 12:41:46 PM
(0)
Teacher

tgj1945,

Thanks for the information regarding the manual for my HTC Inspire.  I was able to download it and I'm sure that it will be very useful as I learn the features of this phone.

I went to the section that you referenced, in order to remove the "extra" contacts from my SD card.  I can find out how to transfer contacts from the SD card to the phone, but don't see anything there that would assist me to removing the double entries that the person at the phone store installed.

Perhaps I have to do this "one at a time ".

It would be nice if I could find a setting that said " on my "People list", show only contacts loaded into the memory of the phone, and not those from the SD card".  So far, I can't find that setting.

Hanagan

tgj1945,

Thanks for the information regarding the manual for my HTC Inspire.  I was able to download it and I'm sure that it will be very useful as I learn the features of this phone.

I went to the section that you referenced, in order to remove the "extra" contacts from my SD card.  I can find out how to transfer contacts from the SD card to the phone, but don't see anything there that would assist me to removing the double entries that the person at the phone store installed.

Perhaps I have to do this "one at a time ".

It would be nice if I could find a setting that said " on my "People list", show only contacts loaded into the memory of the phone, and not those from the SD card".  So far, I can't find that setting.

Hanagan

5 of 20 (1,948 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2011 1:15:30 PM
(0)
Teacher

PS:

I see that I only have about 80 entries.  I'm just going to manually delete them from my phone contact list.

Hanagan

PS:

I see that I only have about 80 entries.  I'm just going to manually delete them from my phone contact list.

Hanagan

6 of 20 (1,946 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2011 10:38:13 AM
(0)
Guru

Simple ramblings- Here's some food for thought.

You might go to your google account from a desktop/laptop, and explore some settings:

1) Click on contacts (on the left), then go to "more actions," at the top. You will find import, export, find & merge duplicates, restore contacts, etc. This might affect how your contacts sync & so forth, to your device.

2) Again, on the desktop/laptop account, click on the mail "Inbox>labels>manage labels." There you will find all your setting parameters, including forwarding & POP/IMAP, accounts & imports, etc.

With all your new found information, you might find what you're looking for!

"Scientia potentica est" ... knowledge is power

Simple ramblings- Here's some food for thought.

You might go to your google account from a desktop/laptop, and explore some settings:

1) Click on contacts (on the left), then go to "more actions," at the top. You will find import, export, find & merge duplicates, restore contacts, etc. This might affect how your contacts sync & so forth, to your device.

2) Again, on the desktop/laptop account, click on the mail "Inbox>labels>manage labels." There you will find all your setting parameters, including forwarding & POP/IMAP, accounts & imports, etc.

With all your new found information, you might find what you're looking for!

"Scientia potentica est" ... knowledge is power

7 of 20 (1,919 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2011 11:55:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Hanagan wrote:

PS:

I don't know of a way to batch delete all the SD contacts, or hide them.  So deleting one at a time may be your best bet.

Hanagan wrote:

PS:

I don't know of a way to batch delete all the SD contacts, or hide them.  So deleting one at a time may be your best bet.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 20 (1,904 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2011 11:39:53 AM
(0)
Teacher

redpoint73,

I solved my problem today and I'd like to pass on how it was done.

Remember, my goal was to eliminate seeing a double entry in all of my contacts. ( One set stored on the phone and the second set on the SIMS card )

I found that it's possible to tap "People" and then "menu".  You get a "pop up" menu with "View" as one of the choices.

Tap "View" and you have the option to display the contacts from the SIMS card or the PHONE, or both.

By eliminating the check mark by SIMS, only the contacts stored on the phone were present when I tapped "People"

Therefore, I no longer see a double entry.

Just wanted to pass this on in the event that someone else can use the information.

Thanks for your input.

Hanagan

redpoint73,

I solved my problem today and I'd like to pass on how it was done.

Remember, my goal was to eliminate seeing a double entry in all of my contacts. ( One set stored on the phone and the second set on the SIMS card )

I found that it's possible to tap "People" and then "menu".  You get a "pop up" menu with "View" as one of the choices.

Tap "View" and you have the option to display the contacts from the SIMS card or the PHONE, or both.

By eliminating the check mark by SIMS, only the contacts stored on the phone were present when I tapped "People"

Therefore, I no longer see a double entry.

Just wanted to pass this on in the event that someone else can use the information.

Thanks for your input.

Hanagan

9 of 20 (1,866 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2011 5:39:42 PM
(0)
Guru

Hanagan- Thanks for the excellent posting! You are indeed sharing results, the way most people SHOULD DO. So many times, some receive lots of help, but don't bother to take the time to let us know what happened in their situation. I haven't bought an Inspire yet. The only way I will, is if I decide to "remove most the bloat."

Hanagan- Thanks for the excellent posting! You are indeed sharing results, the way most people SHOULD DO. So many times, some receive lots of help, but don't bother to take the time to let us know what happened in their situation. I haven't bought an Inspire yet. The only way I will, is if I decide to "remove most the bloat."

10 of 20 (1,856 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2011 5:55:00 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Hanagan,

You were talking about SD card contacts the whole thread, but it now appears you meant SIM contacts (the SD and SIM are completely different things).  If I knew you were talking about SIM contacts, I could have told you how to hide them in "View".  I thought you were importing from the SD card.

I'd still advise to discontinue the use of the SIM to migrate contacts from one phone to another.  Doing it that way is long obsolete.  SIM contacts don't even support long names, much less multiple phone numbers, storing email addresses, physical addresses, etc.  GMail for synching contacts pretty much rocks.

Glad you found a solution to your issue, though.

Hanagan,

You were talking about SD card contacts the whole thread, but it now appears you meant SIM contacts (the SD and SIM are completely different things).  If I knew you were talking about SIM contacts, I could have told you how to hide them in "View".  I thought you were importing from the SD card.

I'd still advise to discontinue the use of the SIM to migrate contacts from one phone to another.  Doing it that way is long obsolete.  SIM contacts don't even support long names, much less multiple phone numbers, storing email addresses, physical addresses, etc.  GMail for synching contacts pretty much rocks.

Glad you found a solution to your issue, though.

11 of 20 (1,531 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2011 7:01:34 AM
(0)
Teacher

redpoint73,

Thank you for the helpful comments. 

Yes, it does appear that I caused some confusion in mentioning phone contacts on the SD card, when I should have referred to the SIM card.

The jump from my old phone to this HTC Inspire was a major technological leap for me. Through "trial and error" and with the assistance of kind folks like you and others on this forum I am becoming very comfortable with my new phone.

I do have a Gmail account that was set up at the time of purchase, but I need to learn more about how it should best be used.

Hanagan

Wheaton, IL.

redpoint73,

Thank you for the helpful comments. 

Yes, it does appear that I caused some confusion in mentioning phone contacts on the SD card, when I should have referred to the SIM card.

The jump from my old phone to this HTC Inspire was a major technological leap for me. Through "trial and error" and with the assistance of kind folks like you and others on this forum I am becoming very comfortable with my new phone.

I do have a Gmail account that was set up at the time of purchase, but I need to learn more about how it should best be used.

Hanagan

Wheaton, IL.

12 of 20 (1,526 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2011 2:49:58 PM
(0)
Master
After over a year and a half of having my contacts and calendar associated with my gmail account, I have gone through three different models of phones, two different carriers, numerous factory resets, and a continued adventure with rooting on one phone model. Not since my first factory reset, have I lost a single contact. I will never use the carrier's backup means for contacts or save contacts as "phone only" again.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
After over a year and a half of having my contacts and calendar associated with my gmail account, I have gone through three different models of phones, two different carriers, numerous factory resets, and a continued adventure with rooting on one phone model. Not since my first factory reset, have I lost a single contact. I will never use the carrier's backup means for contacts or save contacts as "phone only" again.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

13 of 20 (1,517 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2011 5:09:29 PM
(0)
Teacher

Ann154,

When I upgraded to this HTC Inspire, my phone contact list was transferred from my old phone by inserting the Sim card from the old phone into the Inspire.  All of my old munbers now appear on the new phone.

Also, when the new phone was purchased, a Gmail account was established for both myself and for my wife's identical new phone.

I don't understand how my contacts can be transferred to the Gmail account.  Can you direct me to a web site that would detail how this is done ?  Or tell me here ?

As I understand things, it would be wise to have my contacts stored with Gmail and available if I would lose my phone or upgrade to another phone.  Is that the main reason for storing contacts with Gmail ?

As I mentioned earlier, I am new to this technology and my 74 year old brain is having a little difficulty in adjusting. 

I appreciate your patience, understanding and assistance.

Hanagan

Ann154,

When I upgraded to this HTC Inspire, my phone contact list was transferred from my old phone by inserting the Sim card from the old phone into the Inspire.  All of my old munbers now appear on the new phone.

Also, when the new phone was purchased, a Gmail account was established for both myself and for my wife's identical new phone.

I don't understand how my contacts can be transferred to the Gmail account.  Can you direct me to a web site that would detail how this is done ?  Or tell me here ?

As I understand things, it would be wise to have my contacts stored with Gmail and available if I would lose my phone or upgrade to another phone.  Is that the main reason for storing contacts with Gmail ?

As I mentioned earlier, I am new to this technology and my 74 year old brain is having a little difficulty in adjusting. 

I appreciate your patience, understanding and assistance.

Hanagan

14 of 20 (1,510 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2011 6:51:44 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Jul 6, 2011 at 6:55:44 AM

You don't have to do anything to sync your contacts to GMail.  That's one of the beauties of Android.  They are already there.  Just go to mail.google.com on your desktop/laptop computer, click on "Contacts" in the upper left corner of the screen, and all your contacts should already be there.  You can also edit them on your computer, and it will sync auto-magically to your phone within a few minutes.

If you ever replace or upgrade to another Android phone, you enter your Google login ID and password when you first power-on the phone, and the phone will automatically synch your contacts, with no additional effort on your part.  If you choose to move to another phone OS (iPhone, Blackberry, Windows Phone), you need to follow a few steps to sync your Google contacts, but its still pretty easy:  http://www.google.com/mobile/sync/

You don't have to do anything to sync your contacts to GMail.  That's one of the beauties of Android.  They are already there.  Just go to mail.google.com on your desktop/laptop computer, click on "Contacts" in the upper left corner of the screen, and all your contacts should already be there.  You can also edit them on your computer, and it will sync auto-magically to your phone within a few minutes.

If you ever replace or upgrade to another Android phone, you enter your Google login ID and password when you first power-on the phone, and the phone will automatically synch your contacts, with no additional effort on your part.  If you choose to move to another phone OS (iPhone, Blackberry, Windows Phone), you need to follow a few steps to sync your Google contacts, but its still pretty easy:  http://www.google.com/mobile/sync/

[ Edited ]
15 of 20 (1,493 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2011 7:33:00 PM
(0)
Teacher

redpoint73,

That was easier than I thought.  Everything is working like a charm.

Thanks to all.

Hanagan

redpoint73,

That was easier than I thought.  Everything is working like a charm.

Thanks to all.

Hanagan

16 of 20 (1,476 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2011 8:41:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Jul 7, 2011 at 8:44:11 AM

Heh, no problem.  The best answer you could have hoped for, right?  You have to do . . . nothing!

Oh, and you're doing just fine, by the way.  Your age has nothing to do with it.  Smartphones can take some getting used to, for people of any age.  Lots of this stuff is not obvious, by any means.  And that's one reason why forums like this exist!

Heh, no problem.  The best answer you could have hoped for, right?  You have to do . . . nothing!

Oh, and you're doing just fine, by the way.  Your age has nothing to do with it.  Smartphones can take some getting used to, for people of any age.  Lots of this stuff is not obvious, by any means.  And that's one reason why forums like this exist!

[ Edited ]
17 of 20 (1,463 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2011 12:47:08 PM
(0)
Teacher

redpoint73,

Thank you for the kind words of encouragement.

Hanagan

redpoint73,

Thank you for the kind words of encouragement.

Hanagan

18 of 20 (1,453 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2011 4:54:49 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have the same problem now and then, but when I tried to delete one entry it deleted all the entries for that one person...

If I turn my phone off and on again it goes away.  The first one I bought in April HTC Inspire could not hear on it, people could not understand me, lost calls all the time.. garbled conversations, so I used my husbands Sony to talk.  After 5 trips to ATT they decided to replace the Inspire and I got another this week, now it dows the same.. people can't hear and conversations garbled and can hear every other word only.  Dropped calls.. and triple contacts.

I have the same problem now and then, but when I tried to delete one entry it deleted all the entries for that one person...

If I turn my phone off and on again it goes away.  The first one I bought in April HTC Inspire could not hear on it, people could not understand me, lost calls all the time.. garbled conversations, so I used my husbands Sony to talk.  After 5 trips to ATT they decided to replace the Inspire and I got another this week, now it dows the same.. people can't hear and conversations garbled and can hear every other word only.  Dropped calls.. and triple contacts.

19 of 20 (1,407 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2011 6:24:57 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

bevsart wrote:

The triple contacts sounds like something you did, as far as how you migrated or synched your Contacts.  Without telling us exactly what you did, its impossible to say what the solution is.  But various solutions are given on this thread.

Dropped and garbled calls is a very different issue.  Sorry you are having problems.  Might just be bad luck, or a bad batch?  I'm on my 3rd HTC phone over 3-4 years, and the quality has always been excellent.

It shouldn't have taken 5 trips for AT&T to replace the phone.   If a factory reset and replacing your SIM didn't fix the issue, they should have just replaced the phone right away, as it sounds like a hardware defect.

bevsart wrote:

The triple contacts sounds like something you did, as far as how you migrated or synched your Contacts.  Without telling us exactly what you did, its impossible to say what the solution is.  But various solutions are given on this thread.

Dropped and garbled calls is a very different issue.  Sorry you are having problems.  Might just be bad luck, or a bad batch?  I'm on my 3rd HTC phone over 3-4 years, and the quality has always been excellent.

It shouldn't have taken 5 trips for AT&T to replace the phone.   If a factory reset and replacing your SIM didn't fix the issue, they should have just replaced the phone right away, as it sounds like a hardware defect.

20 of 20 (1,401 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments