Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 30, 2010
9:16:47 PM
View profile
Don't let ANY salesperson talk you into a HTC Tilt 2!

I just have to vent I am so irritated.  I was out & tried to do a facebook update but got an error message.  I tried to upload a photo & also got an error message.  The status information of my friends is from November because when I hit refresh - nothing updates.  I log out & sign back in -- nothing updates.  When I am allowed to post it takes forever but usually I cancel out because it shouldn't take 20 minutes to post.

Last spring I switched from Verizon to ATT.  I'm much happier with my coverage BUT I have found that the salespeople push bad products.  With Verizon I went in, told them my needs & they recommended some excellent choices.  With ATT it has made me wonder if they get a higher commission for selling more HTC products because for the life of me I can't figure out why they have it on the sales floor.

I wanted a smartphone & had looked into an iPhone.  I walked in saying I wanted an Iphone that is until I spoke with the salesperson and also the manager about the HTC Tilt 2.  It did all that I wanted & more plus it had a pull out keyboard which I have had & really liked.  They raved about it & told me bad things about the iphone.  Needless to say I spent the extra money & got the Tilt 2.

Well it's been less than a year & I'm on my second phone.  The first one just died.  Because the internet using either browser option  was incredibly slow - I did not download ANY applications on the new phone.  Still it gets hung up & stalls whenever I go online.  On vacation I tried to access a map program it took over an hour.  Luckily we were on a roadtrip so I had the time but how ridiculous!  When I use my phone for internet it is because I need something in a hurry.  When  checking movie times it is faster to drive to the movies or go home to check the internet than to use my HTC Tilt 2.  I pay extra $$ a month for what?

Although my coverage is not good at all for Verizon I think next year when my contract is up I will go back to them.  If I am going to pay hundreds of dollars for a phone it should at least work.  This was my first smartphone & first experience with ATT & they really did a bad job in wanting me to stay an ATT customer.

If I could afford a new phone - I would have it & throw away this piece of junk!  If anyone tried to talk you into this phone - please do your research.  There are plenty of other people who have had simular experiences to me.  Good luck!

I just have to vent I am so irritated.  I was out & tried to do a facebook update but got an error message.  I tried to upload a photo & also got an error message.  The status information of my friends is from November because when I hit refresh - nothing updates.  I log out & sign back in -- nothing updates.  When I am allowed to post it takes forever but usually I cancel out because it shouldn't take 20 minutes to post.

Last spring I switched from Verizon to ATT.  I'm much happier with my coverage BUT I have found that the salespeople push bad products.  With Verizon I went in, told them my needs & they recommended some excellent choices.  With ATT it has made me wonder if they get a higher commission for selling more HTC products because for the life of me I can't figure out why they have it on the sales floor.

I wanted a smartphone & had looked into an iPhone.  I walked in saying I wanted an Iphone that is until I spoke with the salesperson and also the manager about the HTC Tilt 2.  It did all that I wanted & more plus it had a pull out keyboard which I have had & really liked.  They raved about it & told me bad things about the iphone.  Needless to say I spent the extra money & got the Tilt 2.

Well it's been less than a year & I'm on my second phone.  The first one just died.  Because the internet using either browser option  was incredibly slow - I did not download ANY applications on the new phone.  Still it gets hung up & stalls whenever I go online.  On vacation I tried to access a map program it took over an hour.  Luckily we were on a roadtrip so I had the time but how ridiculous!  When I use my phone for internet it is because I need something in a hurry.  When  checking movie times it is faster to drive to the movies or go home to check the internet than to use my HTC Tilt 2.  I pay extra $$ a month for what?

Although my coverage is not good at all for Verizon I think next year when my contract is up I will go back to them.  If I am going to pay hundreds of dollars for a phone it should at least work.  This was my first smartphone & first experience with ATT & they really did a bad job in wanting me to stay an ATT customer.

If I could afford a new phone - I would have it & throw away this piece of junk!  If anyone tried to talk you into this phone - please do your research.  There are plenty of other people who have had simular experiences to me.  Good luck!

Don't let ANY salesperson talk you into a HTC Tilt 2!

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2011 5:59:32 PM
(0)
Scholar

Escellent review cjrentals, thank you for the advice.

Escellent review cjrentals, thank you for the advice.

Re: Don't let ANY salesperson talk you into a HTC Tilt 2!

2 of 11 (1,925 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2011 8:14:39 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Jan 4, 2011 at 8:15:46 AM

One moral to this story would be to do your research before you buy, and not listen to the advice of a salesman.

As far as my personal experience with this phone, I used the Tilt2 for over a year.  Google Maps and Bing worked nearly flawlessly as mapping programs.  I almost always got a cold lock on the GPS within a couple minutes, sometimes in less than 30 seconds (but you need to make sure the QuickGPS data is up to date).  Web browsing was plenty fast enough on Opera (IE was painfully slow on my device), although the browser experience seems to be extremely uneven from one owner to the next (some users found IE to be faster, and Opera unusable).  The Facebook app takes about 3-4 minutes to update (which is still too long) but almost always worked for me.  Windows Mobile is clunky and out-dated.  But most issues with WM tend to involve the OS just not being smooth and stable (but still capable of doing what its supposed to).  Your issues sound much more serious.  My thinking is that there is something wrong with your particular device (hardware or software defect).

My advice would be to try another warranty replacement (your warranty is for one year).  Or if you're stuck with this device, read up on flashing a custom ROM (user created operating system) on XDA, and do it.  I used the Simplicity ROM (and before that Energy ROM) on my old Tilt2, it was fast, stable, and everything worked well (for Windows Mobile).  I can't be sure whether your issues are software or hardware related.  But many issues with Windows Mobile tend to be software related, and a good custom ROM will solve many of them in that case.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=490

One moral to this story would be to do your research before you buy, and not listen to the advice of a salesman.

As far as my personal experience with this phone, I used the Tilt2 for over a year.  Google Maps and Bing worked nearly flawlessly as mapping programs.  I almost always got a cold lock on the GPS within a couple minutes, sometimes in less than 30 seconds (but you need to make sure the QuickGPS data is up to date).  Web browsing was plenty fast enough on Opera (IE was painfully slow on my device), although the browser experience seems to be extremely uneven from one owner to the next (some users found IE to be faster, and Opera unusable).  The Facebook app takes about 3-4 minutes to update (which is still too long) but almost always worked for me.  Windows Mobile is clunky and out-dated.  But most issues with WM tend to involve the OS just not being smooth and stable (but still capable of doing what its supposed to).  Your issues sound much more serious.  My thinking is that there is something wrong with your particular device (hardware or software defect).

My advice would be to try another warranty replacement (your warranty is for one year).  Or if you're stuck with this device, read up on flashing a custom ROM (user created operating system) on XDA, and do it.  I used the Simplicity ROM (and before that Energy ROM) on my old Tilt2, it was fast, stable, and everything worked well (for Windows Mobile).  I can't be sure whether your issues are software or hardware related.  But many issues with Windows Mobile tend to be software related, and a good custom ROM will solve many of them in that case.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=490

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
3 of 11 (1,856 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2011 9:44:30 AM
(0)
Guru
The XDA advice from Redpoint is spot on. I too, used the Energy ROM on my Tilt 2, and it made drastic improvements to the phone. I've often wondered why that phone is still on the sales floor. It's VERY old as far as technology goes.
The XDA advice from Redpoint is spot on. I too, used the Energy ROM on my Tilt 2, and it made drastic improvements to the phone. I've often wondered why that phone is still on the sales floor. It's VERY old as far as technology goes.

4 of 11 (1,832 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2011 11:57:10 AM
(0)
Professor

Dont let any sales peson talk you into anything. Get what YOU want!

Dont let any sales peson talk you into anything. Get what YOU want!

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

5 of 11 (1,551 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2011 11:18:39 PM
(0)
Mentor

i love my tilt.  of course i am NOT using the stock rom.

6 of 11 (1,464 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2011 9:25:58 AM
(0)
Professor

gammite wrote:

Me too, I had the ATT Tilt 8925 , then HTC Tilt2 (Unfortunately, its dying).   got an upgrade a few months out. trying to hold on, but might have to go purchase an nonbrand.

gammite wrote:

Me too, I had the ATT Tilt 8925 , then HTC Tilt2 (Unfortunately, its dying).   got an upgrade a few months out. trying to hold on, but might have to go purchase an nonbrand.

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

7 of 11 (1,434 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2011 6:34:24 AM
(0)
Mentor

I have used a tilt2 for 18 months.  Stock rom no problems.  I am totally satisfied with the phone.

I have used a tilt2 for 18 months.  Stock rom no problems.  I am totally satisfied with the phone.

8 of 11 (1,205 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 6:30:21 PM
(0)
Professor

I used a Tilt  2 for a year.  It wasn't a bad phone.  I loved the keyboard, and it generally worked well.  But it just seemed to be underpowered, and there was a lot of lag.

I used a Tilt  2 for a year.  It wasn't a bad phone.  I loved the keyboard, and it generally worked well.  But it just seemed to be underpowered, and there was a lot of lag.

9 of 11 (1,014 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2011 2:40:22 PM
(0)
Mentor

CJ, I had to stop partway through your message and look to see who posted it, as I thought it must be me, even though I didn't remember posting what I was thinking.  I too am on my second phone in just under a year.  Comments:  Internet generally is so slow it is often worse than no Internet at all (at least if I didn't have Internet access on the phone I wouldn't waste time watching that bar that never quite makes it across.)  I don't know if the problem is HTC, Windows Mobile, or AT&T, but I no longer care.  When my contract is up, I'm replacing all three!

See you at the Verizon store!

CJ, I had to stop partway through your message and look to see who posted it, as I thought it must be me, even though I didn't remember posting what I was thinking.  I too am on my second phone in just under a year.  Comments:  Internet generally is so slow it is often worse than no Internet at all (at least if I didn't have Internet access on the phone I wouldn't waste time watching that bar that never quite makes it across.)  I don't know if the problem is HTC, Windows Mobile, or AT&T, but I no longer care.  When my contract is up, I'm replacing all three!

See you at the Verizon store!

10 of 11 (894 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2011 4:36:02 PM
(0)
Scholar
Exactly.What Redpoint73 said.
Iget 3-10 seconds wait for 5-11 satellites with or without A-GPS.
Its got the best keyboard ever. Inernet works ok w/Opera. IE is soso. Built like a rock. I love the stylus.
The system does get very SLOW. I dont have many apps. The updated ROM is much nicer than the original. But more & more Im seeing the little spinning thingy in the center while the phone is completeing a simple task. Its too slow. But the GPS is amazing.
Exactly.What Redpoint73 said.
Iget 3-10 seconds wait for 5-11 satellites with or without A-GPS.
Its got the best keyboard ever. Inernet works ok w/Opera. IE is soso. Built like a rock. I love the stylus.
The system does get very SLOW. I dont have many apps. The updated ROM is much nicer than the original. But more & more Im seeing the little spinning thingy in the center while the phone is completeing a simple task. Its too slow. But the GPS is amazing.

11 of 11 (298 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments