Doing the math, iPhone upgrades

Scholar

Doing the math, iPhone upgrades

I see a lot of people complaining they're not getting the full discount so I'd like to point out the math. This is probably two of the worst case scenarios for AT&T (not counting student/corporate discount, etc):

Individual:

450 min : $40

200 MB: $15

Monthly: $55

1 Year: $660

2 Years: $1,320

Family Plan (5 lines):

700 min (1st line): $60

4 add'l lines: $40

5x 200MB: $75

Monthly: $175

1 Year: $2,100

2 Years: $4,200

Now . I don't know by how much exactly AT&T subsidizes each phone. Let's just assume it's the same as the ETF ($325).

For the individual plan, when you sign a 2-year contract, AT&T expects to pocket $995. How much of that is profit and how much goes to expenses (system maintenance, upgrades, etc), I have no idea. However, if they let you upgrade in just 1 year, then they only get $335 in revenue (not profit).

For the family plan, when you sign a 2-year contract, AT&T expects to receive $2,575. However, if they let you upgrade all 5 lines in just 1 year, then they only get $475 (or $95 per line per year) in revenue.

You can see AT&T's dilemma. With the current system, if they offer early iPhone upgrades, they'd likely have to offer it to everyone - even those on the lowest plans.

The main issue here is the lack of transparency. I'm sure there are several folks who would be happy to go with a higher plan if that means they can upgrade their phones earlier. I think all carriers should move to a different system than giving outright, flat-rate equipment subsidies. Or, given Apple releases a new phone every year, bring back the 1-year contracts (with higher device prices, not to exceed 1/2 of the ETF).

Message 1 of 1
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support