Does your M-Cell work well?

Scholar

Does your M-Cell work well?

The vast majority of the posts I read in this sub-forum are from users who are having problems with the micro cell. Are there others out there other than myself for whom the the m-cell woks well and have no issues?

Message 1 of 22 (6,168 Views)
Teacher

Re: Does your M-Cell work well?

Otto Pylot wrote:
Flashing green 3G means it can't connect to AT&T. Flashing red 3G usually indicates a hardware failure which could be do to a hardware failure or more likely an update that didn't reset properly so the phone thinks it's a hardware failure. If you have another MicroCell within 300 feet that is more than likely your problem My guess is that both of you are registered on each other's MicroCell either as owner or guest and the signals are getting confused because the ISP pathway is different (you said you have two different providers) but both are trying to connect to the same local tower. MicroCells aren't designed to work that closely together so the fact that your current setup worked well before an update is great, if not unusual. You may have to look at how you are connecting to your ISPs and make some adjustments (permanent MicroCell address, port forwarding, etc) on one or both MicroCells.

I'm not really certain that the problem is completely having two microcells within reasonable proximity. I had my brother turn his off for a few days and I had the same problems. That being said, I am curious about how to change any settings as you mention... Outside of the fact that I have the MAC addy of the microcell in a static table on my router. I do not believe any ports are specifically forwarded... I thought the microcell was plug and play. Dave
Message 16 of 22 (3,812 Views)
ACE - Master

The MicroCell should be plug and play but AT&T never really adequately tested it under various conditions (different routers, ISPs, etc) so "special" set ups had to be devised to cover the bases. For me, the only wired device I have to my router (Apple Extreme Base Station) is the MicroCell so I just setup port forwarding to the permanent ip address that I assigned to the MicroCell and made sure that the DSL gateway (modem if you will) was not doing any NAT (which it isn't be default). This setup has worked solidly for me for over a year now thru various AT&T updates and power outages. Unfortunately port forwarding doesn't work for everyone so you just have to try it and see. I think AT&T has even posted settings for various routers but I can't find that link right now.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 22 (3,800 Views)
Scholar

rjniles wrote:

The vast majority of the posts I read in this sub-forum are from users who are having problems with the micro cell. Are there others out there other than myself for whom the the m-cell woks well and have no issues?

I'm one of the lucky ones.  Once I discovered you need a clean GPS signal to it work, I've never had a serious issue (other than the call delay which improved dramatically Jan 2012).

Message 18 of 22 (3,792 Views)
Tutor

I was a big critic of my first microcell and returned it last year within the 30 period.

However, we're still looking at several months before new towers are added where I have a 2nd home and lately I can't get a signal anywhere in the house. Fortunately our property owner's assocation worked a deal with the AT&T rep that allowed us to get one for $50. I had read here that there seemed to be some updates that caused them to work better, so I figured I'd give it a try.

It's been a week now and I've very pleased with the results. I don't get dropped called, my calls connect fairly quickly and it seems to be doing what I need.

Message 19 of 22 (3,725 Views)
Scholar

I just got a Samsung Galaxy S II (SGH-i777) and let me tell you, the MicroCell plays much nicer with the Samsung than the iPhone 4s.  With the 4s it would periodically cut out and loose the connection.  It doesn't do this with the GSII.  Makes me thing the MicroCell never had any issues and it was only Apple not adding support for it or something.  

Message 20 of 22 (3,716 Views)
ACE - Master

MJB0188 wrote:

I just got a Samsung Galaxy S II (SGH-i777) and let me tell you, the MicroCell plays much nicer with the Samsung than the iPhone 4s.  With the 4s it would periodically cut out and loose the connection.  It doesn't do this with the GSII.  Makes me thing the MicroCell never had any issues and it was only Apple not adding support for it or something.  

We have 1 iPhone 4S, 2 iPhone 3s, and a couple of old Samsung 3G phones and all have worked just fine with our MicroCell. Apple will blame AT&T, AT&T will blame Cisco, and Cisco will blame Apple so it's not just Apple not adding support.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 21 of 22 (3,679 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

Yeah I'm back to my 4s.  Was using my brother's galaxy s II for a while.  The 4s is working perfectly fine with the m-cell.  

Message 22 of 22 (3,675 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.