Does your M-Cell work well?

Scholar

Does your M-Cell work well?

The vast majority of the posts I read in this sub-forum are from users who are having problems with the micro cell. Are there others out there other than myself for whom the the m-cell woks well and have no issues?

Message 1 of 22 (6,167 Views)
Teacher

Re: Does your M-Cell work well?

Tons of problems initially getting it to work but since then the MicroCell has worked as advertised.  There have been outages, which never come at a good time but overall it works.  

Please note I think it is outrageous that anyone should have to spend $170 to make a product you have already paid for work.  Not when you live in an advertised AT&T 3g area and nowhere within 30 miles can you receive 3g service.  AT&T stores and personnel are excellent, their customer support if you have to call them is the worst in the world.  They should be prosecuted for false advertising for their coverage maps.  Until next month though, the only way to get an Iphone.

Message 2 of 22 (6,053 Views)
Guru

[ Edited ]

I'm one of the biggest critics of the microcell. Even so, I'll admit that counting the posts here is not the correct way to judge how well the Microcell works. Unfortunately, it's really the only way WE have to judge how well it works, because the real way is to compare the number of Microcells activated versus the number of people who call with problems, and returns, and so on. Customer satisfaction surveys are good too, but again, they're really only a tool AT&T can use, and it's unlikely they'd ever announce those results out loud.

All that said, I can safely report that in my 9+ months of experience with it, has never worked acceptably well. It is better now than it once was, but it still does not fulfill the promises that their marketing makes on anything approaching a consistent basis. Combine that with the abysmal support AT&T has given for the device - worse even than the general level of customer support you get from AT&T - and you easily see why so many people are so upset.

AT&T has, in the past, admitted that their data network needed improvement, and have publicly said that they're investing in bringing their 3G network to more places and improving backhauls and all the rest. In other words, they've said that they're working to improve their network to address the reports that have appeared in the press about how bad their macro network is.

They have never said a word about the Microcell. So far as I can tell, AT&T's true belief is that everyone who's having trouble with the Microcell is either incompetent or has a lousy ISP. In short, that we've always been at war with Eurasia.

AT&T could, if they chose, start an actual dialogue with their customers. Help them understand how to best diagnose problems with the Microcell - even provide diagnostic tools with which we could do so. They could tell us about service status - even tell us about known outages and expected times to repair. All of these are things that every purveyor of an Internet based service routinely does now that it's 2011. That AT&T refuses to do any of these things speaks volumes about the level of contempt that they hold for the people PAYING THEM MONEY every month.

Message 3 of 22 (6,041 Views)
Master

Yes it been working for me.  I have had success in the following:

Previously: Colorado Springs, CO > Comcast > Motorola SB6120 modem > Apple Airport Extreme router > MicroCell

Currently: Athens, TN > AT&T DSL > 2-Wire 2700HG-B modem > Netgear WNR3500 router> MicroCell

Message 4 of 22 (6,005 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

Yes, it works for me and my bro.

Other than a few annoying things about it and some issues with it in the past I have to say that I'm pleased with the purchase. The ability to send/receive calls without dropping them at my bros place is a welcome improvement from the constant dropped calls that I used to experience. I'm glad that the calls are now isolated from the ever so congested network in the area. I have used Cox, RR, Verizon DSL and Comcast and used it in two states with the M-Cell and it has worked well for me.

While the M-Cell is only a band-aid for the real problem with AT&Ts network, the issue I have with AT&T in regards to network congestion is that they are slow to respond to the problem. Canceling AT&T while a viable option, presents another issue I do not want to deal with.

In the meantime, I would like to see significant improvements made to the M-Cell, such as the issue of data speeds. I find it quite unacceptable that something advertised as a "3G" can't even attain said speeds, not even UMTS Release '99. It's frustrating that my data speeds feel like I'm living a decade ago.

Message 5 of 22 (5,945 Views)
Guru

rjniles wrote:

The vast majority of the posts I read in this sub-forum are from users who are having problems with the micro cell. Are there others out there other than myself for whom the the m-cell woks well and have no issues?

Yes.  My MicroCell works well.  It makes the difference between spotty coverage and solid coverage in our house.

Message 6 of 22 (5,911 Views)
Scholar

Works fine for me.  I've had trouble with it droping connection but that has all but vanished the past two months.  I have NO bars for the regular cell coverage in my office, and that may be why it works better for me.

Message 7 of 22 (5,892 Views)
Contributor

I live in Lake Forest, California. There is about 1-2 bars throughout the area, so if you'd like to make a call using AT&T forget it. I recently got an M-Cell. I paid $100 bucks for it. For about a week it worked well, showing 5 bars and I was able to make calls and access the internet. Now I get 5 bars, no ZERO internet access. I have tried updates to the phone and calling AT&T, but they have been of no help. They asked me to download a program called "Mark The Spot". This program is supposed to help them identify where they need cell towers. Unfortunately when I place a pin to "mark the spot", the data is only saved and it isn't tranmitted until I leave the city to another nearby city where I do get reception. Additional note, just for fun I tried dialing 911. Although my phone showed 5 bars it took a full minute to connect to 911. The display would change from 5 bars M-Cell to searching. I think that AT&T simply hasn't invested in the bandwidth needed to power the equipment they sell. Can't wait till my contract is up. I'm leaving AT&T and won't be back.

Message 8 of 22 (4,216 Views)
Professor

I had a great experience with microcells.  They are an excellent option in areas with questionable signal.

Message 9 of 22 (4,192 Views)
Tutor

I have not had any problems with mine.

Message 10 of 22 (4,185 Views)
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

Mine worked perfectly for almost a year and then had issues after an update around March of 2011. Took awhile to get it figured out (and two warranty replacements) but after that, it has worked just fine thru numerous updates with our iPhone 3Gs, iPhone4, and various other AT&T branded 3G phones.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 11 of 22 (3,933 Views)
Contributor

No problems for the longest time until this past week.  Now I get a red flashing light.  I can power cycle everything and get back to green for a couple of hours and then back to red flashing light.

Message 12 of 22 (3,927 Views)
Teacher

My Microcell worked very well for over two years (or since the day NY'ers could buy one, and I did) but since November of 2011 it is inconsistant.

Since November, it's been flashing red about 30% of the time I look at it. Sometimes it would fix itself, other times I would power cycle and it would come back on. Then it would be good for maybe a day before reverting to a red flashing light.

Since earlier this week (March, 2012) it started flashing green and has not gone away, no matter how often I power cycle. You would think flashing green is better than flashing red, but I don't seem to be connected to it.

My brother, who lives 300 feet away also has a microcell. He is on a different ISP than me and he also has the same problem that started at the same time (November). Can't really be a coincidence. It's nice than when mine goes out, I failover to his and vice-versa, but it makes it hard to tell whose microcell I'm on... so it's hard to tell when it's working or not... I go by the bars and proximity.

If they ever start working again, the one feature I'd request is being able to name the network (M-CELL1, M-CELL2).

Dave

Message 13 of 22 (3,925 Views)
ACE - Master

davebach wrote:

My Microcell worked very well for over two years (or since the day NY'ers could buy one, and I did) but since November of 2011 it is inconsistant.

Since earlier this week (March, 2012) it started flashing green and has not gone away, no matter how often I power cycle. You would think flashing green is better than flashing red, but I don't seem to be connected to it.

My brother, who lives 300 feet away also has a microcell. He is on a different ISP than me and he also has the same problem that started at the same time (November). Can't really be a coincidence. It's nice than when mine goes out, I failover to his and vice-versa, but it makes it hard to tell whose microcell I'm on... so it's hard to tell when it's working or not... I go by the bars and proximity.

If they ever start working again, the one feature I'd request is being able to name the network (M-CELL1, M-CELL2).

Dave

Flashing green 3G means it can't connect to AT&T. Flashing red 3G usually indicates a hardware failure which could be do to a hardware failure or more likely an update that didn't reset properly so the phone thinks it's a hardware failure. If you have another MicroCell within 300 feet that is more than likely your problem My guess is that both of you are registered on each other's MicroCell either as owner or guest and the signals are getting confused because the ISP pathway is different (you said you have two different providers) but both are trying to connect to the same local tower. MicroCells aren't designed to work that closely together so the fact that your current setup worked well before an update is great, if not unusual. You may have to look at how you are connecting to your ISPs and make some adjustments (permanent MicroCell address, port forwarding, etc) on one or both MicroCells.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 14 of 22 (3,912 Views)
Highlighted
Guru

[ Edited ]

Like nsayer, I have never had totally acceptable service from the Microcell. I've been using one for 1yr 9mo.
Most of the problems seems to be incompatibility with the iPhones, particularly when trying to place a call and it fails the first attempt. Also the iPhone 4S randomly drops the connection to "no service" for a few seconds and picks up the m-cell frequently throughout the day but it doesn't seem to affect actual performance. Other than those issues it has been working pretty well with no issues.  It seems to have no problem with other phones, so that may be why some people have better luck.
The problems are enough to seriously consider switching carriers. With low signal at home and almost no signal at work, with m-cell working unreliably, I feel as if I'm wasting money. So come iPhone 5 I'll consider switching to the carrier that has no coverage holes in this county.

Message 15 of 22 (3,847 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.