Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 7, 2008
12:07:34 PM
View profile
Does windows live messenger use data or text messages?
I have an unlimited text plan but no internet plan.  I want to use Windows live messenger but will I be charged for that?
I have an unlimited text plan but no internet plan.  I want to use Windows live messenger but will I be charged for that?

Does windows live messenger use data or text messages?

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2008 12:46:35 PM
(0)
Master

darkhunter139 wrote:

If you are using the built-in IM client on an at&t/Cingular branded device, IM's should be charged as text messages.  If you are using IM via MediaNet or from a third party IM application which you installed on the phone, then IM activity will be billed on a per kB basis.

(Taken from hme83: Click Here

darkhunter139 wrote:

If you are using the built-in IM client on an at&t/Cingular branded device, IM's should be charged as text messages.  If you are using IM via MediaNet or from a third party IM application which you installed on the phone, then IM activity will be billed on a per kB basis.

(Taken from hme83: Click Here

Re: Does windows live messenger use data or text messages?

2 of 7 (2,872 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2008 6:24:41 AM
(0)
Tutor
Ok I'm still a little confused on this Windows Live Messenger to phone thing. I have a AT&T branded RAZR V3XX, I sent my wife a text message using Windows Live Messenger to her cell phone she recieved it asked her to press Reply A to accept the message or Reply D to decline. She accepted the message and sent back a reply. which appeared in my Windows Live Messenger Chat window. Really kinda cool. Now we don't have an internet service on our cell phones, just unlimited family text messaging. I'm trying to get clarification on how these messages are handled by AT&T. Are they text messages or charged as internet services, which i would be charged for using? thanks Rodger
Ok I'm still a little confused on this Windows Live Messenger to phone thing. I have a AT&T branded RAZR V3XX, I sent my wife a text message using Windows Live Messenger to her cell phone she recieved it asked her to press Reply A to accept the message or Reply D to decline. She accepted the message and sent back a reply. which appeared in my Windows Live Messenger Chat window. Really kinda cool. Now we don't have an internet service on our cell phones, just unlimited family text messaging. I'm trying to get clarification on how these messages are handled by AT&T. Are they text messages or charged as internet services, which i would be charged for using? thanks Rodger

3 of 7 (2,551 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2008 6:59:33 AM
(0)
Master

rltkmkc wrote:

The question is did you login to through MediaNet for Windows Live...or did you click on the icon on the homescreen of your phone. You need to tell us that. That makes a difference in whether you are charged data or not.

rltkmkc wrote:

The question is did you login to through MediaNet for Windows Live...or did you click on the icon on the homescreen of your phone. You need to tell us that. That makes a difference in whether you are charged data or not.
Posted from my Samsung Captivate

4 of 7 (2,546 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2008 7:39:56 AM
(0)
Tutor
Ok I might be confusing the issue a little, let me explain what we did. From Windows Live Messenger on my PC, I sent her a text message to her cellphone. After entering her phone number the text message window pops up on the PC, it reads "Welcome to Mobile messaging. Recipients may be charged for each message by their wireless service proviers". I pressed ok.  entered the message, pressed send. On the phone it reads "username wants to send a message from Windows Live Messenger. Reply A to allow the message to be sent to your phone or D to deny". Now this all seems to take place in the Message Center and the messages do show up in the Inbox there. You can reply back and forth just like in messenger. So are these a part of my Unlimited Family plan or charged to me in some way? thanks Rodger
Ok I might be confusing the issue a little, let me explain what we did. From Windows Live Messenger on my PC, I sent her a text message to her cellphone. After entering her phone number the text message window pops up on the PC, it reads "Welcome to Mobile messaging. Recipients may be charged for each message by their wireless service proviers". I pressed ok.  entered the message, pressed send. On the phone it reads "username wants to send a message from Windows Live Messenger. Reply A to allow the message to be sent to your phone or D to deny". Now this all seems to take place in the Message Center and the messages do show up in the Inbox there. You can reply back and forth just like in messenger. So are these a part of my Unlimited Family plan or charged to me in some way? thanks Rodger

5 of 7 (2,539 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2008 1:17:16 PM
(0)
Scholar

rltkmkc wrote:

They will be charged as SMS.

rltkmkc wrote:

They will be charged as SMS.

6 of 7 (2,523 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2008 2:28:42 PM
(0)
Professor

rltkmkc wrote:
Now this all seems to take place in the Message Center and the messages do show up in the Inbox there.
Yes, it's treated as SMS, then.

rltkmkc wrote:
Now this all seems to take place in the Message Center and the messages do show up in the Inbox there.
Yes, it's treated as SMS, then.
Posted from my iPhone 4. Look at me I'm hot and nerdy.

7 of 7 (2,514 Views)