Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 29, 2009
4:00:16 PM
View profile
Does the iPhone Drop Calls Often?
Does the iPhone drop calls often?  Has any other iPhone user on this forum had that problem?  The reason I ask is because I have a family member who has an iPhone and when he and I talk, his phone will drop the call quite frequently.  
Does the iPhone drop calls often?  Has any other iPhone user on this forum had that problem?  The reason I ask is because I have a family member who has an iPhone and when he and I talk, his phone will drop the call quite frequently.  

Does the iPhone Drop Calls Often?

80 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(80)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2010 7:58:50 AM
(0)
Scholar
Gotcha, that does make sense. I've got a lot to learn on the engineering side, I definitely got that confused haha.
Gotcha, that does make sense. I've got a lot to learn on the engineering side, I definitely got that confused haha.

Re: Does the iPhone Drop Calls Often?

31 of 81 (3,751 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2010 8:58:02 AM
(0)
Tutor
i am having a similar problem and have been having it for over 40 days.  I can receive calls but callers cannot hear me...I have replaced the sim card and am going back to an at&t store today to yet again prove to the "engineers" that it is not my phone but a network problem.  I live in the metropolitan NY area and have conducted a spot poll with my firends...anyone on a Smartphone device on the AT&T 3G network is having a consistant similar problem 9blackberry and iphone).  Is this similar to your relative's problem?
i am having a similar problem and have been having it for over 40 days.  I can receive calls but callers cannot hear me...I have replaced the sim card and am going back to an at&t store today to yet again prove to the "engineers" that it is not my phone but a network problem.  I live in the metropolitan NY area and have conducted a spot poll with my firends...anyone on a Smartphone device on the AT&T 3G network is having a consistant similar problem 9blackberry and iphone).  Is this similar to your relative's problem?

32 of 81 (3,746 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2010 7:52:14 AM
(0)
Teacher

Recently in Miami (Pembroke Pines area) the service has gone from good to really bad.

Text messages are now coming in burst 5 or 7 at a time... I'm not even receiving phone calls ....

Pretty much my phone and my wife's phone is useless.... I tried to reset the network settings and nada... 

I have full bars that's the worse part!

Recently in Miami (Pembroke Pines area) the service has gone from good to really bad.

Text messages are now coming in burst 5 or 7 at a time... I'm not even receiving phone calls ....

Pretty much my phone and my wife's phone is useless.... I tried to reset the network settings and nada... 

I have full bars that's the worse part!

33 of 81 (3,647 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2010 10:08:46 AM
(0)
Guru

I know that when there is a massive influx of people everything goes haywire
for example:
the superbowl

- I had massive issues during the weekend of the game
Daytona 500
- I couldn't text and or make calls till around 4ish
New Years
- which in my opinion was the worst of all
I couldn't do ANYTHING till the morning
but other than that everything is fine for me now
and also to be fair, it is safe to say every phone can drop calls Smiley Wink

I know that when there is a massive influx of people everything goes haywire
for example:
the superbowl

- I had massive issues during the weekend of the game
Daytona 500
- I couldn't text and or make calls till around 4ish
New Years
- which in my opinion was the worst of all
I couldn't do ANYTHING till the morning
but other than that everything is fine for me now
and also to be fair, it is safe to say every phone can drop calls Smiley Wink

34 of 81 (3,599 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2010 10:23:25 AM
(0)
Tutor

I live in the Dallas-Fort Worth area and I experience dropped calls around 20% of the time.  This includes areas where I appear to be getting a strong 3G signal.

I live in the Dallas-Fort Worth area and I experience dropped calls around 20% of the time.  This includes areas where I appear to be getting a strong 3G signal.

35 of 81 (3,522 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2010 9:36:13 AM
(0)
Tutor

I live in Dallas and my iPhone is basically useless.  I have full bars but my calls are constantly dropping.  I use this phone for business and it looks like I am going to have to get rid of it and go back to TMobile.  I have tried everything I can think of to no avail.  I had assumed it was my phone but when I spoke to other iPhone users, they are having the same experience.  While I like the iPhone, it is unreliable to the point of being unusable.

I live in Dallas and my iPhone is basically useless.  I have full bars but my calls are constantly dropping.  I use this phone for business and it looks like I am going to have to get rid of it and go back to TMobile.  I have tried everything I can think of to no avail.  I had assumed it was my phone but when I spoke to other iPhone users, they are having the same experience.  While I like the iPhone, it is unreliable to the point of being unusable.

36 of 81 (2,957 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2010 10:23:59 AM
(0)

Settings > General > Network > Disable 3G.

This is a known help point. Many times this helps. There are so many people clogging up 3G service that sometimes you will have issues. Also, it will save battery life Smiley Happy

Settings > General > Network > Disable 3G.

This is a known help point. Many times this helps. There are so many people clogging up 3G service that sometimes you will have issues. Also, it will save battery life Smiley Happy

37 of 81 (2,946 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2010 10:42:31 AM
(0)
Tutor

So, I either can use the phone OR the data side?  Isnt it ATT who "brags" that you can use the phone and surf the web at the same time?  I think you folks are going to see a mass migration to other carriers with this kind of service.

So, I either can use the phone OR the data side?  Isnt it ATT who "brags" that you can use the phone and surf the web at the same time?  I think you folks are going to see a mass migration to other carriers with this kind of service.

38 of 81 (2,933 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2010 12:27:13 PM
(0)
Professor

devinsqueri wrote:

Apple has stated in the past that the believe a 30% dropped call rate is acceptable.   It is widely accepted that the iPhone is less capable of maintaining a signal than other phones, even basic phones.

The case you have on the phone could also play a part as many have metal in them that blocks the reception of the antenna.

devinsqueri wrote:

Apple has stated in the past that the believe a 30% dropped call rate is acceptable.   It is widely accepted that the iPhone is less capable of maintaining a signal than other phones, even basic phones.

The case you have on the phone could also play a part as many have metal in them that blocks the reception of the antenna.

39 of 81 (2,916 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2010 12:48:13 PM
(0)
Guru

Download and use the "Mark the Spot" app from AT&T to at least give AT&T the diagnostic info needed to maybe figure it out.

Download and use the "Mark the Spot" app from AT&T to at least give AT&T the diagnostic info needed to maybe figure it out.

40 of 81 (2,910 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2010 12:54:00 PM
(0)
Tutor

No metal in the case, I bought the overpriced one recommeded at the ATT store...

I have the Mark the Spot app, most of the time it cant connect to send the message back (I know it keeps trying).  Im logging about 50% of the issues and over the last 2 days (since installing), I have about 25 issues logged (as per sms message count).  I finally gave in and turned off the 3G and so far, I can use the phone.  Its only been a few hours so its too early to tell, but it may help.  Of course, turning off the 3G so that I can make phone calls is not an acceptable solution - at least to me. 

Sorry if this sounds negative and I do appreciate the input / thoughts / help, Im just pretty frustrated and disapointed.

No metal in the case, I bought the overpriced one recommeded at the ATT store...

I have the Mark the Spot app, most of the time it cant connect to send the message back (I know it keeps trying).  Im logging about 50% of the issues and over the last 2 days (since installing), I have about 25 issues logged (as per sms message count).  I finally gave in and turned off the 3G and so far, I can use the phone.  Its only been a few hours so its too early to tell, but it may help.  Of course, turning off the 3G so that I can make phone calls is not an acceptable solution - at least to me. 

Sorry if this sounds negative and I do appreciate the input / thoughts / help, Im just pretty frustrated and disapointed.

41 of 81 (1,672 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2010 1:12:44 PM
(0)

devinsqueri wrote:

If you would read the numerous other forumn posts on this issue you would see that they are working on a fix.

devinsqueri wrote:

If you would read the numerous other forumn posts on this issue you would see that they are working on a fix.

42 of 81 (1,665 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2010 1:19:07 PM
(0)
Professor
Only if 3G isn't working and you have to use EDGE. My 3G has only faltered once. All other times, it is flawless.
Only if 3G isn't working and you have to use EDGE. My 3G has only faltered once. All other times, it is flawless.

43 of 81 (1,664 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2010 1:30:05 PM
(0)
Guru

mybubbles wrote:

Without bothering to go search the forum for all the potentially related posts, do you know if any of them have indicated a resolution time frame?

Or is this another one of those "...working on a resolution..." with no actual expectation of a conclusion?

mybubbles wrote:

Without bothering to go search the forum for all the potentially related posts, do you know if any of them have indicated a resolution time frame?

Or is this another one of those "...working on a resolution..." with no actual expectation of a conclusion?

44 of 81 (1,665 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2010 2:29:12 PM
(0)

There is no ERD as of right now. I do know that Apple is aware and so is AT&T of this issue.

There is no ERD as of right now. I do know that Apple is aware and so is AT&T of this issue.

45 of 81 (1,644 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2010 3:33:37 PM
(0)
Tutor

I did read the posts and saw the "were working on it" notes.  That doesnt really help much, now does it?  If they were actively trying to solve the issue, they would have some kind of an idea on when to expect a resolution and they would certainly publish it.  To not have any kind of expected resolution strongly suggests that they either A. know how long its going to take and wont release the actual estimate due to the backlash or B. they really havent evaluated the problem yet and dont know. 

I did read the posts and saw the "were working on it" notes.  That doesnt really help much, now does it?  If they were actively trying to solve the issue, they would have some kind of an idea on when to expect a resolution and they would certainly publish it.  To not have any kind of expected resolution strongly suggests that they either A. know how long its going to take and wont release the actual estimate due to the backlash or B. they really havent evaluated the problem yet and dont know. 

46 of 81 (1,633 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2010 3:47:06 PM
(0)
Tutor
Just as an update... I spent many hours on the phone with art really: my dropped calls which started occurring in January...I went to the apple store and my phone checked out fine.. art kept telling me it was my phone. I eventually stopped my service and went with Verizon because it was a huge run around. I did not have use of calling features for over 60 days. I am fighting my fee for not finishing my contract and am ...not worth the effort to even try to deal with this problem. I am having no issues with Verizon and am starting to love my android
Just as an update... I spent many hours on the phone with art really: my dropped calls which started occurring in January...I went to the apple store and my phone checked out fine.. art kept telling me it was my phone. I eventually stopped my service and went with Verizon because it was a huge run around. I did not have use of calling features for over 60 days. I am fighting my fee for not finishing my contract and am ...not worth the effort to even try to deal with this problem. I am having no issues with Verizon and am starting to love my android

47 of 81 (1,621 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2010 4:01:16 PM
(0)
Professor
Then why are you still hanging around the AT&T forum, and how did you find this place?
Then why are you still hanging around the AT&T forum, and how did you find this place?

48 of 81 (1,613 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2010 4:05:37 PM
(0)
Tutor
Still on the thread from my previous post. All I know is that art admitted to a problem to me and then I went through 60 days of them back tracking on what they said. I Don't want people to waste their time trying to get their problem fixed. I learned that they really are not interested in solving the problem. Why are you on this post?
Still on the thread from my previous post. All I know is that art admitted to a problem to me and then I went through 60 days of them back tracking on what they said. I Don't want people to waste their time trying to get their problem fixed. I learned that they really are not interested in solving the problem. Why are you on this post?

49 of 81 (1,610 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2010 4:06:22 PM
(0)
Professor
Because I actually have an AT&T phone, and I like to keep up on the news of what I use.
Because I actually have an AT&T phone, and I like to keep up on the news of what I use.

50 of 81 (1,609 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2010 4:08:16 PM
(0)
Tutor
Well...I have a really expensive paper weightSmiley Happy

51 of 81 (2,287 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2010 4:08:32 PM
(0)

devinsqueri wrote:

Believe what you will, they are aware. Smiley Wink

devinsqueri wrote:

Believe what you will, they are aware. Smiley Wink

52 of 81 (2,285 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2010 4:08:46 PM
(0)
Professor
Well, either sell it, use it as an iTouch or come back to AT&T.
Well, either sell it, use it as an iTouch or come back to AT&T.

53 of 81 (2,287 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2010 4:08:47 PM
(0)
Tutor

54 of 81 (2,286 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2010 4:09:50 PM
(0)

kujonana wrote:

Sell it on Ebay

kujonana wrote:

Sell it on Ebay

55 of 81 (2,286 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2010 6:05:30 AM
(0)
Contributor

I love my Iphone.  But recently I have also experienced many dropped calls, call failed or cant send txt. This has only been happening in the last 2 months. I have the mark the spot app sometimes i cant send AT&T a message. It gets very frustrating. I wanted to mention that my dropped calls only happen when i'm speaking to someone who also has AT&T. It does not happen when I talk to a verizon customer. Ive been with AT&T for over 12 years and not until recently have I considered switching. 

I love my Iphone.  But recently I have also experienced many dropped calls, call failed or cant send txt. This has only been happening in the last 2 months. I have the mark the spot app sometimes i cant send AT&T a message. It gets very frustrating. I wanted to mention that my dropped calls only happen when i'm speaking to someone who also has AT&T. It does not happen when I talk to a verizon customer. Ive been with AT&T for over 12 years and not until recently have I considered switching. 

56 of 81 (2,121 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2010 6:13:17 AM
(0)
Professor

catinya wrote:

Are you certain that the dropped call is on YOUR end?  Honestly... there is really no way to know, at least from the end-user standpoint.

There is a 50/50 chance that the issue is with your device/connection and just as good of a chance that it is with the other party you are connected or attempting to connect to.

Every provider has coverage issues, if AT&T provides good service for you and good value for the money, it dosn't make logical sense to switch.  If, however, another provider has equally as good or better service and is a good value, then it doesn't make logical sense to stay if you are unhappy.

Just don't expect the grass the be greener on the other side of the fence, quite often it is not.

catinya wrote:

Are you certain that the dropped call is on YOUR end?  Honestly... there is really no way to know, at least from the end-user standpoint.

There is a 50/50 chance that the issue is with your device/connection and just as good of a chance that it is with the other party you are connected or attempting to connect to.

Every provider has coverage issues, if AT&T provides good service for you and good value for the money, it dosn't make logical sense to switch.  If, however, another provider has equally as good or better service and is a good value, then it doesn't make logical sense to stay if you are unhappy.

Just don't expect the grass the be greener on the other side of the fence, quite often it is not.

57 of 81 (2,118 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2010 5:04:59 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am in San Francisco and trust me, my iPhone drops constantly.  In fact, the last few days it has dropped one out of every two calls.  It has become publicly acceptable, a joke even, to have your business call drop and when you call back, we have started answering "AT&T, can I help you?"!!    AT&T, shame on you for your service levels in San Francisco.  The problem has been going on for months and months with no sign of relief.  I sincerely feel betrayed that I, unlike my friends, cannot truly be virtual due to the poor quality of my phone.  I am finally breaking down after seven years, and getting a land line again because I cannot run my business with my cell phone.    I look forward to hearing what is being done to fix the problem because as iPad density increases, I can only see the problem becoming worse.

I am in San Francisco and trust me, my iPhone drops constantly.  In fact, the last few days it has dropped one out of every two calls.  It has become publicly acceptable, a joke even, to have your business call drop and when you call back, we have started answering "AT&T, can I help you?"!!    AT&T, shame on you for your service levels in San Francisco.  The problem has been going on for months and months with no sign of relief.  I sincerely feel betrayed that I, unlike my friends, cannot truly be virtual due to the poor quality of my phone.  I am finally breaking down after seven years, and getting a land line again because I cannot run my business with my cell phone.    I look forward to hearing what is being done to fix the problem because as iPad density increases, I can only see the problem becoming worse.

58 of 81 (2,025 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2010 2:20:46 PM
(0)
Contributor

AT&T has been dropping my calls from 30% to 100%  for the past 3 years, most times is 1 ouf 5 but at times it has been 100% drop rate, I have considered changing phone and moving to another network but lately I haven't had any drops. My 2 year contract is over so I am now free to escape, but the risk is that it may not be any better with other networks or maybe it would be...!?

AT&T has been dropping my calls from 30% to 100%  for the past 3 years, most times is 1 ouf 5 but at times it has been 100% drop rate, I have considered changing phone and moving to another network but lately I haven't had any drops. My 2 year contract is over so I am now free to escape, but the risk is that it may not be any better with other networks or maybe it would be...!?

59 of 81 (1,942 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 27, 2010 10:15:09 PM
(0)
Contributor

So what's the solution? I'm a little over a year through my 2 year contract. I could have never imagined that my phone would suck so bad, but it does. I hardly have any actual phone calls anymore. I will get dropped calls in areas where I have a solid 5 bars. I will get texts in bunches. The data, the map - that all works great. But as a phone, the iPhone is a joke. It wasn't so bad in Bellingham, WA which is a relatively small town. But in Denver, CO, it's worthless. I was going to get a signal booster until I realized that it's not the signal that needs boosting, but the actual bandwidth of the network. It's swamped. At least that's what appears to be the problem. When I get out of the metro area, the phone works fine. Unfortunately, a combination of a swamped network and a slightly weaker signal at my house means that I can't use it as a phone, and as we speak, I'm texting a friend, and I have to sit it right next to the window to get the signal strong enough for texts to go through.

The frustrating thing is that AT&T has us all locked in with this worthless phone, and they have no incentive to fix the problem because there's little we can do.

Does anyone have any grand suggestions for how to solve this problem?? It almost makes me want to get a landline.

So what's the solution? I'm a little over a year through my 2 year contract. I could have never imagined that my phone would suck so bad, but it does. I hardly have any actual phone calls anymore. I will get dropped calls in areas where I have a solid 5 bars. I will get texts in bunches. The data, the map - that all works great. But as a phone, the iPhone is a joke. It wasn't so bad in Bellingham, WA which is a relatively small town. But in Denver, CO, it's worthless. I was going to get a signal booster until I realized that it's not the signal that needs boosting, but the actual bandwidth of the network. It's swamped. At least that's what appears to be the problem. When I get out of the metro area, the phone works fine. Unfortunately, a combination of a swamped network and a slightly weaker signal at my house means that I can't use it as a phone, and as we speak, I'm texting a friend, and I have to sit it right next to the window to get the signal strong enough for texts to go through.

The frustrating thing is that AT&T has us all locked in with this worthless phone, and they have no incentive to fix the problem because there's little we can do.

Does anyone have any grand suggestions for how to solve this problem?? It almost makes me want to get a landline.

60 of 81 (1,512 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments