Does the iPhone Drop Calls Often?

Professor

Does the iPhone Drop Calls Often?

Does the iPhone drop calls often?  Has any other iPhone user on this forum had that problem?  The reason I ask is because I have a family member who has an iPhone and when he and I talk, his phone will drop the call quite frequently.  
Message 1 of 81 (10,233 Views)
Scholar

Re: Does the iPhone Drop Calls Often?

Gotcha, that does make sense. I've got a lot to learn on the engineering side, I definitely got that confused haha.
Message 31 of 81 (4,169 Views)
Tutor

i am having a similar problem and have been having it for over 40 days.  I can receive calls but callers cannot hear me...I have replaced the sim card and am going back to an at&t store today to yet again prove to the "engineers" that it is not my phone but a network problem.  I live in the metropolitan NY area and have conducted a spot poll with my firends...anyone on a Smartphone device on the AT&T 3G network is having a consistant similar problem 9blackberry and iphone).  Is this similar to your relative's problem?
Message 32 of 81 (4,164 Views)
Teacher

Recently in Miami (Pembroke Pines area) the service has gone from good to really bad.

Text messages are now coming in burst 5 or 7 at a time... I'm not even receiving phone calls ....

Pretty much my phone and my wife's phone is useless.... I tried to reset the network settings and nada... 

I have full bars that's the worse part!

Message 33 of 81 (4,065 Views)
Guru

I know that when there is a massive influx of people everything goes haywire
for example:
the superbowl

- I had massive issues during the weekend of the game
Daytona 500
- I couldn't text and or make calls till around 4ish
New Years
- which in my opinion was the worst of all
I couldn't do ANYTHING till the morning
but other than that everything is fine for me now
and also to be fair, it is safe to say every phone can drop calls Smiley Wink

Message 34 of 81 (4,017 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

I live in the Dallas-Fort Worth area and I experience dropped calls around 20% of the time.  This includes areas where I appear to be getting a strong 3G signal.

Message 35 of 81 (3,940 Views)

I live in Dallas and my iPhone is basically useless.  I have full bars but my calls are constantly dropping.  I use this phone for business and it looks like I am going to have to get rid of it and go back to TMobile.  I have tried everything I can think of to no avail.  I had assumed it was my phone but when I spoke to other iPhone users, they are having the same experience.  While I like the iPhone, it is unreliable to the point of being unusable.

Message 36 of 81 (3,375 Views)
Anonymous

Settings > General > Network > Disable 3G.

This is a known help point. Many times this helps. There are so many people clogging up 3G service that sometimes you will have issues. Also, it will save battery life Smiley Happy

Message 37 of 81 (3,364 Views)

So, I either can use the phone OR the data side?  Isnt it ATT who "brags" that you can use the phone and surf the web at the same time?  I think you folks are going to see a mass migration to other carriers with this kind of service.

Message 38 of 81 (3,351 Views)
Professor

devinsqueri wrote:

I live in Dallas and my iPhone is basically useless.  I have full bars but my calls are constantly dropping.  I use this phone for business and it looks like I am going to have to get rid of it and go back to TMobile.  I have tried everything I can think of to no avail.  I had assumed it was my phone but when I spoke to other iPhone users, they are having the same experience.  While I like the iPhone, it is unreliable to the point of being unusable.

Apple has stated in the past that the believe a 30% dropped call rate is acceptable.   It is widely accepted that the iPhone is less capable of maintaining a signal than other phones, even basic phones.

The case you have on the phone could also play a part as many have metal in them that blocks the reception of the antenna.

Message 39 of 81 (3,334 Views)

Download and use the "Mark the Spot" app from AT&T to at least give AT&T the diagnostic info needed to maybe figure it out.

Message 40 of 81 (3,328 Views)

No metal in the case, I bought the overpriced one recommeded at the ATT store...

I have the Mark the Spot app, most of the time it cant connect to send the message back (I know it keeps trying).  Im logging about 50% of the issues and over the last 2 days (since installing), I have about 25 issues logged (as per sms message count).  I finally gave in and turned off the 3G and so far, I can use the phone.  Its only been a few hours so its too early to tell, but it may help.  Of course, turning off the 3G so that I can make phone calls is not an acceptable solution - at least to me. 

Sorry if this sounds negative and I do appreciate the input / thoughts / help, Im just pretty frustrated and disapointed.

Message 41 of 81 (2,090 Views)
Anonymous

devinsqueri wrote:

So, I either can use the phone OR the data side?  Isnt it ATT who "brags" that you can use the phone and surf the web at the same time?  I think you folks are going to see a mass migration to other carriers with this kind of service.

If you would read the numerous other forumn posts on this issue you would see that they are working on a fix.

Message 42 of 81 (2,083 Views)
Professor

Only if 3G isn't working and you have to use EDGE. My 3G has only faltered once. All other times, it is flawless.
Message 43 of 81 (2,082 Views)

mybubbles wrote:

If you would read the numerous other forumn posts on this issue you would see that they are working on a fix.

Without bothering to go search the forum for all the potentially related posts, do you know if any of them have indicated a resolution time frame?

Or is this another one of those "...working on a resolution..." with no actual expectation of a conclusion?

Message 44 of 81 (2,083 Views)
Anonymous

There is no ERD as of right now. I do know that Apple is aware and so is AT&T of this issue.

Message 45 of 81 (2,062 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.