Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 2, 2010
1:07:29 PM
View profile
Does texting count toward data usage per month?

If we are paying extra for text messaging already, shouldn't it not count toward the data usage?...

I barely use data outside of wi-fi areas, through half my cycle, I'm up to about 200mb already from mostly text pics/vids.  And shouldn't we get an option to block out ads in apps/sites, if data will be more monitored as to not go over your monthly limit.

If we are paying extra for text messaging already, shouldn't it not count toward the data usage?...

I barely use data outside of wi-fi areas, through half my cycle, I'm up to about 200mb already from mostly text pics/vids.  And shouldn't we get an option to block out ads in apps/sites, if data will be more monitored as to not go over your monthly limit.

Does texting count toward data usage per month?

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2010 1:08:34 PM
(0)
Teacher

No, it doesn't count as data. 

No, it doesn't count as data. 

Re: Does texting count toward data usage per month?

2 of 5 (17,344 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2010 8:07:15 PM
(0)
Professor

Instead of having your friends send you pics and vids via MMS, ask them to email those files to you.  That way you can control your data usage more easily.

If I am not mistaken, any MMS message over a specific size (and I don't remember the size limit) is counted as data.

Instead of having your friends send you pics and vids via MMS, ask them to email those files to you.  That way you can control your data usage more easily.

If I am not mistaken, any MMS message over a specific size (and I don't remember the size limit) is counted as data.

3 of 5 (17,268 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2010 6:00:54 AM
(0)
Master

As has been stated, multimedia messages over a certain threshhold ( I believe 600kb) will count as data used by your account.  Large pics & videos will blow past this limit. 

And no, AT&T will NOT block ads on mobile web sites.  Those ads are how the sites monetize the content they provide.  No ads = no revenue = no content.

As has been stated, multimedia messages over a certain threshhold ( I believe 600kb) will count as data used by your account.  Large pics & videos will blow past this limit. 

And no, AT&T will NOT block ads on mobile web sites.  Those ads are how the sites monetize the content they provide.  No ads = no revenue = no content.

4 of 5 (17,199 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2010 7:14:31 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by Planet-Ed on Jun 3, 2010 at 7:15:21 AM

BrianfromNO wrote:

Not anymore to my knowledge.  ATT removed their wording on the 600K and additional charges a while ago .  There should not be any additional charges for going over anymore.  ATT just reserves the right to block anything over 600K.

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?t=solutionTab&ft=searchTab&ps=solutionPanels&loca...

BrianfromNO wrote:

Not anymore to my knowledge.  ATT removed their wording on the 600K and additional charges a while ago .  There should not be any additional charges for going over anymore.  ATT just reserves the right to block anything over 600K.

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?t=solutionTab&ft=searchTab&ps=solutionPanels&locale=en_US&_dyncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=34458&isSrch=Yes

[ Edited ]
5 of 5 (17,171 Views)