Does no-commitment iPhone4s equal to unlocked?

Contributor

Does no-commitment iPhone4s equal to unlocked?

[ Edited ]

As the price of no-commitment iPhone 4s provided by AT&T equals to 649.99 to 849.99, the same as the official apple store.

I was wonder wether the no-commitment iphone 4s equal the unlock iPhone on the apple store. Can I choose not to using AT&T network?

I am asking my friend in US to bring me one to Hong Kong.

Looking forward to your response. Thanks~

Message 1 of 20 (1,836 Views)
Guru

Re: Does no-commitment iPhone4s equal to unlocked?

No. No commitment does not mean unlocked.
Message 2 of 20 (1,807 Views)
Professor

A no-commitment AT&T iPhone is not unlocked.  Only an unlocked iPhone is...unlocked.  As far as I know, the unlocked iPhone 4S has not been released yet.  Apple has only said that it is coming in November, with no exact date.

Message 3 of 20 (1,804 Views)
ACE - Expert

On the Apple site, the unlocked version will be 16gb $649 - 32gb $749 - 64gb $849. Available in November. Doesn't give a date when in November.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 20 (1,761 Views)
Mentor

Just buy the unlocked one, same price and it's not locked like the no commitment att one.
Message 5 of 20 (1,760 Views)
Master

As already stated, an iPhone purchase at no-commitment price from Apple or AT&T itself does not mean that it is unlocked. Make sure your friend purchases an unlocked iPhone for you.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 6 of 20 (1,729 Views)
Professor

The unlocked GSM iPhone 4S is available from Apple starting today.  I heard that shipment time is 1-2 weeks, but I haven't tried to verify this.

Message 7 of 20 (1,641 Views)
Guru

eddiewang wrote:

As the price of no-commitment iPhone 4s provided by AT&T equals to 649.99 to 849.99, the same as the official apple store.

Assuming that the above is indeed accurate...can someone please explain as to how/why AT&T would/could sell a no-commitment but still-locked iPhone for the same price as that for a no-commitment but unlocked iPhone directly from Apple itself?  The only reason I can think of is that AT&T is looking to prop their iPhone sales figures from the sales of such phones (however relatively small the number of sales of such phones may be), whereas sales of unlocked phones purchased from Apple wouldn't necessarily count directly towards the sales figures of the carriers.

Message 8 of 20 (1,457 Views)
Professor

tonester wrote:

eddiewang wrote:

Assuming that the above is indeed accurate...can someone please explain as to how/why AT&T would/could sell a no-commitment but still-locked iPhone for the same price as that for a no-commitment but unlocked iPhone directly from Apple itself?  The only reason I can think of is that AT&T is looking to prop their iPhone sales figures from the sales of such phones (however relatively small the number of sales of such phones may be), whereas sales of unlocked phones purchased from Apple wouldn't necessarily count directly towards the sales figures of the carriers.

I don't know if I can answer your question, but the iPhone 4S carries the same unsubsidized price across all carriers and regardless of whether the phone is locked.  Technically, AT&T is doing nothing different from what VZW and Sprint are doing as far as the pricing is concerned.  It just looks different because the unlocked iPhone is GSM-only.

Message 9 of 20 (1,453 Views)

tonester wrote:

eddiewang wrote:

I think a better question would be: What is AT&T's incentive for selling an unlocked iPhone?  I can't really think of one.

AT&T isn't really in the business of selling phones.  They're in the business of selling service.  Obviously they do sell phones, but that isn't their focus.  Selling a no-commitment phone is already a bit of a stretch, but as long as it is still locked to them it is still at least likely to generate them income on an ongoing basis.

On the other hand, selling a no-commitment phone that isn't locked to them is much less likely to do so.  And outside of an iPhone launch, AT&T isn't particularly concerned with the number of phones they sell.  They're concerned with the number of subscribers they have.

Message 10 of 20 (1,446 Views)
Contributor

If you go to an apple store and say you want the AT&T iPhone without a contract and pay the full price for it, when you hook it up to iTunes it'll be unlocked.
Message 11 of 20 (1,392 Views)
Professor

Lcove wrote:
If you go to an apple store and say you want the AT&T iPhone without a contract and pay the full price for it, when you hook it up to iTunes it'll be unlocked.

You need to buy the specific unlocked phone.  As this thread shows, no contract does not equal unlocked.

Message 12 of 20 (1,386 Views)
Professor

Lcove wrote:

I had heard this rumor earlier.  I also heard the rumor that Apple caught this error and stopped it.  Since the unlocked phone has been released, it is safer just to get the unlocked phone and not play the game of chance with the AT&T no-contract phone.  It's the same price, anyway, so there's nothing to lose by getting the unlocked iPhone 4S.

Message 13 of 20 (1,366 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

21stNow wrote:

Lcove wrote:

I had heard this rumor earlier.  I also heard the rumor that Apple caught this error and stopped it.  Since the unlocked phone has been released, it is safer just to get the unlocked phone and not play the game of chance with the AT&T no-contract phone.  It's the same price, anyway, so there's nothing to lose by getting the unlocked iPhone 4S.

different skew numbers on the phone you buy the normal at discount or full retail or you select a unlocked phone hyer link. If you sleect the carier link and are not eligible for a discount you are offered the phone at full price - still carrier locked

Message 14 of 20 (1,358 Views)
Professor

As I said in my previous post, there was an error that occurred somewhere when customers walked into Apple stores, requested a no-commitment AT&T iPhone, and received an iPhone that was unlocked when plugged in to iTunes. 

I can figure out how the process was supposed to work, and know that different models of cellular phones have different "SKU" numbers.  I also know that sometimes humans make mistakes and can put the phones in the wrong boxes.  Once Apple became aware of what was happening, they fixed the error. 

There is more than one user on the iPhone threads on T-Mobile's forum that took advantage (they didn't have to wait until November for the unlocked phone) of the error.  The point of my post was to warn that the error has been caught so that people don't waste their time trying to get an unlocked phone without waiting for the phone to ship.

Message 15 of 20 (1,344 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.