Does no-commitment iPhone4s equal to unlocked?

Contributor

Does no-commitment iPhone4s equal to unlocked?

As the price of no-commitment iPhone 4s provided by AT&T equals to 649.99 to 849.99, the same as the official apple store.

I was wonder wether the no-commitment iphone 4s equal the unlock iPhone on the apple store. Can I choose not to using AT&T network?

I am asking my friend in US to bring me one to Hong Kong.

Looking forward to your response. Thanks~

Message 1 of 20
Expert

Re: Does no-commitment iPhone4s equal to unlocked?

21stNow wrote:

As I said in my previous post, there was an error that occurred somewhere when customers walked into Apple stores, requested a no-commitment AT&T iPhone, and received an iPhone that was unlocked when plugged in to iTunes. 

I can figure out how the process was supposed to work, and know that different models of cellular phones have different "SKU" numbers.  I also know that sometimes humans make mistakes and can put the phones in the wrong boxes.  Once Apple became aware of what was happening, they fixed the error. 

There is more than one user on the iPhone threads on T-Mobile's forum that took advantage (they didn't have to wait until November for the unlocked phone) of the error.  The point of my post was to warn that the error has been caught so that people don't waste their time trying to get an unlocked phone without waiting for the phone to ship.

agree, pictures just adding additonal informationt hat the apple site has two different links for the iphone - locked and unlocked

As far as the ones that where unlocked in error - wonder if they will lock on the next ios upgrade - interesting thought

Message 16 of 20
ACE - Professor

eddiewang wrote:

As the price of no-commitment iPhone 4s provided by AT&T equals to 649.99 to 849.99, the same as the official apple store.

I was wonder wether the no-commitment iphone 4s equal the unlock iPhone on the apple store. Can I choose not to using AT&T network?

I am asking my friend in US to bring me one to Hong Kong.

Looking forward to your response. Thanks~

Nope. You need to get that phone from Apple, so send your friend to the Apple store, or online here

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone/iphone4s

Select color, size, and then Click "Or get iPhone unlocked and contract-free"

$650/$750/$850 for 16/32/64gb

"The unlocked iPhone works only on supported GSM networks, such as AT&T in the U.S. When you travel internationally, you can also use a micro-SIM card from a local GSM carrier. The unlocked iPhone will not work with CDMA carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint."

There you go.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 20
Scholar

The US Sim free 64GB iPhone seems a very good bargain into GBP thats £549.89p

when bought within the UK £699.00 its a known wonder why people are ending up buying

them from America these days Smiley Very Happy

Message 18 of 20
ACE - Professor

But don't you pay VAT + a 10% import fee when shipping it in? Or do you just nudge-nudge wink wink ignore the customs guy?

(27.5% total added, so the 550 goes to 699... oh hey, look at that)

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 20
Highlighted
Scholar

on many items UK Customs will apply a fee but I bought my AT&T iPhone from eBay

and that arrived without them opening it and applying anything guess due to the Xmas

rush approaching there slacking lol

VAT Sucks overhere it applies to everything its risen from 15% from 17.5% to now 20%

darm the British Goverment I know why its become "Ripoff Britain" cos its true!

also its the government again why the UK hasn't got LTE 4G as of yet lol

thats not coming till next yr or 2013 lol

Message 20 of 20
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support