Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 29, 2010
3:25:08 PM
View profile
Does jailbreaking + MyWi violate any terms of my AT&T contract
I've been waiting for an app to turn my iPhone into a mobile hotspot. I've known that MyWi was available for jailbroken iPhones, but up until about a month ago, jailbreaking was in a gray legal area. Apple claimed had claimed it was illegal, but as I'm sure you're all aware, a court ruling said it is not (but it will void your warranty with Apple). An alternate solution would have been tethering provided by AT&T. Well that too was finally announced, but it is only available if I leave my unlimited data plan. So I called AT&T customer support and asked if jailbreaking my phone and installing MyWi would violate any part of my contract with AT&T and/or kick me off the unlimited data plan and she put me on hold. Later she came back and said that it didn't appear that it would, but that I should read my contract. I perused that while she was on the phone and found nothing that would seem to indicate a violation. She next suggested that I post a message on AT&T's forms... and so here I am. Basically, I'm planning on jailbreaking my iPhone and using MyWi to turn it into a mobile hotspot. Can anyone point out what part of the contract I would be violating if I do this? Thanks in advance, Darren
I've been waiting for an app to turn my iPhone into a mobile hotspot. I've known that MyWi was available for jailbroken iPhones, but up until about a month ago, jailbreaking was in a gray legal area. Apple claimed had claimed it was illegal, but as I'm sure you're all aware, a court ruling said it is not (but it will void your warranty with Apple). An alternate solution would have been tethering provided by AT&T. Well that too was finally announced, but it is only available if I leave my unlimited data plan. So I called AT&T customer support and asked if jailbreaking my phone and installing MyWi would violate any part of my contract with AT&T and/or kick me off the unlimited data plan and she put me on hold. Later she came back and said that it didn't appear that it would, but that I should read my contract. I perused that while she was on the phone and found nothing that would seem to indicate a violation. She next suggested that I post a message on AT&T's forms... and so here I am. Basically, I'm planning on jailbreaking my iPhone and using MyWi to turn it into a mobile hotspot. Can anyone point out what part of the contract I would be violating if I do this? Thanks in advance, Darren

Does jailbreaking + MyWi violate any terms of my AT&T contract

54 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(54)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2010 4:22:21 PM
(0)
Expert

Darren2 wrote:

1. it was not a court ruling

2. JB your phone can void your warrenty, if anything occurs to damage the phone and Apple cvan determine this, they will not honor a warrenty or apple care extended. Read the warrenty papers on the iphone

3. Would not trust a tier 1 csr toexplain anytihng on the terms of serivce. It stae planly in the tos that tethering is a violation of the tos unless you have a plan the specificly is worded for tethering - the unlimited plan specificly excludes it and the tethering plan for the iphone specificly staes the 2gb plan is required and the additional 20.00 for tethering

read the contract and the warrenty papers, if it sounds like you are violating the terms, you probably are. This answer and AND other answer on this forum is opinion and is in no way shape or form a official apple or att policy, they will decide in the end

Darren2 wrote:

2. JB your phone can void your warrenty, if anything occurs to damage the phone and Apple cvan determine this, they will not honor a warrenty or apple care extended. Read the warrenty papers on the iphone

3. Would not trust a tier 1 csr toexplain anytihng on the terms of serivce. It stae planly in the tos that tethering is a violation of the tos unless you have a plan the specificly is worded for tethering - the unlimited plan specificly excludes it and the tethering plan for the iphone specificly staes the 2gb plan is required and the additional 20.00 for tethering

read the contract and the warrenty papers, if it sounds like you are violating the terms, you probably are. This answer and AND other answer on this forum is opinion and is in no way shape or form a official apple or att policy, they will decide in the end

Re: Does jailbreaking + MyWi violate any terms of my AT&T contract

2 of 55 (19,701 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2010 6:00:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

You're only allowed to tether if you pay the extra $20. Otherwise, you're breaking the TOS.

You're only allowed to tether if you pay the extra $20. Otherwise, you're breaking the TOS.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 55 (19,673 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2010 7:38:49 PM
(0)
Master

1. JB is not illegal as determined by a ruling of the Library of Congress (LOC) on the DMCA.

2. Apple still does not have to honor a warranty should you need help and you JB your iPhone.

3. Since the LOC said JB is not illegal, Apple cannot take you to court as some speculated they might but never have.

4. ATT can tell if you are tethering and not using their plan.

5. You may not like the price of the tethering plan but ATT could at some point charge you per MB regardless of having any form of Data plan since the Data plans that are sold are not authorized for tethering without the add-on.  Again we may not like the price but those are the TOS we agree to when we sign our contract for service.

No offense to ATT reps on the boards here but they may very well be the last to know what management is thinking or planning to do.  We all expect them to know everything ATT is thinking but until it is passed down as a formal policy with training, they really are not going to know.  I would not take their word on it unless they are willing to put that in writing and potentially their jobs on the line for authorizing something they may not be allowed to do?

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

1. JB is not illegal as determined by a ruling of the Library of Congress (LOC) on the DMCA.

2. Apple still does not have to honor a warranty should you need help and you JB your iPhone.

3. Since the LOC said JB is not illegal, Apple cannot take you to court as some speculated they might but never have.

5. You may not like the price of the tethering plan but ATT could at some point charge you per MB regardless of having any form of Data plan since the Data plans that are sold are not authorized for tethering without the add-on.  Again we may not like the price but those are the TOS we agree to when we sign our contract for service.

No offense to ATT reps on the boards here but they may very well be the last to know what management is thinking or planning to do.  We all expect them to know everything ATT is thinking but until it is passed down as a formal policy with training, they really are not going to know.  I would not take their word on it unless they are willing to put that in writing and potentially their jobs on the line for authorizing something they may not be allowed to do?

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

4 of 55 (19,642 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2010 10:01:03 AM
(0)
Professor

Darren2 wrote:

Under 2) WIRELESS DATA SERVICE TERMS AND CONDITIONS (applies to all customers) > Prohibited and Permissible Uses, you would be vioalting this:

"Furthermore, plans (unless specifically designated for tethering usage) cannot be used for any applications that tether the device (through use of, including without limitation, connection kits, other phone/smartphone to computer accessories, BLUETOOTH® or any other wireless technology) to Personal Computers (including without limitation, laptops), or other equipment for any purpose."

Using MyWi is a method of tethering.

Darren2 wrote:

Under 2) WIRELESS DATA SERVICE TERMS AND CONDITIONS (applies to all customers) > Prohibited and Permissible Uses, you would be vioalting this:

"Furthermore, plans (unless specifically designated for tethering usage) cannot be used for any applications that tether the device (through use of, including without limitation, connection kits, other phone/smartphone to computer accessories, BLUETOOTH® or any other wireless technology) to Personal Computers (including without limitation, laptops), or other equipment for any purpose."

Using MyWi is a method of tethering.

5 of 55 (19,534 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2010 1:32:06 PM
(0)
Expert

youngjm wrote:

technically jail breaking can still be considerd to be against IP laws, but you are right they cannot prosecute for violating the Digital Millennium copyright act of 1998

youngjm wrote:

technically jail breaking can still be considerd to be against IP laws, but you are right they cannot prosecute for violating the Digital Millennium copyright act of 1998

6 of 55 (19,501 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2010 2:22:02 PM
(0)
Guru

wingrider01 wrote:

But if i remember correctly it can only be against IP laws if it contains original OEM properties. Such as original Apple code. A program written to modify someone elses code could not be considered IP violations if the code is 100% unique. If included even in the smallest amount OEM code it could be considered a IP violation. This was went over many times by companies like Blizzard trying to shut down the free realms. Most free realms could not be shut down because the server/client modifiation code was 100% unique and did not contain Blizzard code. But the same applies to jailbreaks if the code is unique and original you can not claim a IP violation.

wingrider01 wrote:

But if i remember correctly it can only be against IP laws if it contains original OEM properties. Such as original Apple code. A program written to modify someone elses code could not be considered IP violations if the code is 100% unique. If included even in the smallest amount OEM code it could be considered a IP violation. This was went over many times by companies like Blizzard trying to shut down the free realms. Most free realms could not be shut down because the server/client modifiation code was 100% unique and did not contain Blizzard code. But the same applies to jailbreaks if the code is unique and original you can not claim a IP violation.

7 of 55 (19,482 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2010 3:25:52 AM
(0)
Expert

Neihn wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

I don;t argue the technicalities of IP laws that is why I employ lawyers that are specialists in things like that to protect my companies interests. As far as the blizzard issue - the courts just found in favor of blizzard to the tune of a 88 million dollar lawsuit against a company for profiting off of IP

Neihn wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

I don;t argue the technicalities of IP laws that is why I employ lawyers that are specialists in things like that to protect my companies interests. As far as the blizzard issue - the courts just found in favor of blizzard to the tune of a 88 million dollar lawsuit against a company for profiting off of IP

8 of 55 (19,392 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2010 10:51:48 AM
(0)
Guru

There is a very good legal argument that a per se refusal to honor your warrantly is a violation of the Magnuson-Moss Act.  According to some interpretations of the Act, you need to have a nexus between the jailbreaking and the defect.  E.g. jailbreaking could not be used to deny coverage for a faulty screen.  Most jailbreaking, however, is fully reversible.  Just plug your iPhone into your computer and presss the restore button in iTunes.

Good legal arguments only work when you have litigation fund and some patience.  ATT and Apple (combined) have very deep pockets and are looking at limited damages unless you get class certification.  Their lawyers will notice up a few depositions, send you a few dozen itnerrogatories, and file a handful of motions.  Your lawyer will then bill you $300 an hour (on average) to respond to all that stuff. 

There is a very good legal argument that a per se refusal to honor your warrantly is a violation of the Magnuson-Moss Act.  According to some interpretations of the Act, you need to have a nexus between the jailbreaking and the defect.  E.g. jailbreaking could not be used to deny coverage for a faulty screen.  Most jailbreaking, however, is fully reversible.  Just plug your iPhone into your computer and presss the restore button in iTunes.

Good legal arguments only work when you have litigation fund and some patience.  ATT and Apple (combined) have very deep pockets and are looking at limited damages unless you get class certification.  Their lawyers will notice up a few depositions, send you a few dozen itnerrogatories, and file a handful of motions.  Your lawyer will then bill you $300 an hour (on average) to respond to all that stuff. 

9 of 55 (18,058 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2011 11:24:20 AM
(0)
Contributor

Ok so I have an iphone 4, jailbroken with Miwi. I do not pay for tethering, but I do have an 'unlimited' data plan.

I don't have landline internet access at home so I use my phone as primary internet access (that probably shows up on data usage) but I don't say any harm in what I'm doing, given that streaming netflix to my iphone is probably not much worse than streaming netflix to my laptop via Wifi...?

I know technically I might be violating TOS and voiding my warranty, but the bottom line is I pay quite a hefty bill already and expect to be able to utilise the equipment which I have purchased to its full capability.

I equate this, for instance, to buying a car and then installing a trailer hitch so I can use it to tow stuff, the car might have only been designed to haul 4 people and some luggage, but that doesn't mean I should be penalised for wanting to pull a boat trailer or something, right?

So, I've just recieved a text from AT&T along the lines of 'did you know tethering requires a data plan? more info at webaddressblahblah'. This means they're onto me! Where do I stand? Basically, I think I am justified, and if they want me to add a fee to the current $180 a month I'm already paying then I'm going to bail and sign up my jailbroken iphone with another network - perhaps Verizon or Tmobile.

Ok so I have an iphone 4, jailbroken with Miwi. I do not pay for tethering, but I do have an 'unlimited' data plan.

I don't have landline internet access at home so I use my phone as primary internet access (that probably shows up on data usage) but I don't say any harm in what I'm doing, given that streaming netflix to my iphone is probably not much worse than streaming netflix to my laptop via Wifi...?

I know technically I might be violating TOS and voiding my warranty, but the bottom line is I pay quite a hefty bill already and expect to be able to utilise the equipment which I have purchased to its full capability.

I equate this, for instance, to buying a car and then installing a trailer hitch so I can use it to tow stuff, the car might have only been designed to haul 4 people and some luggage, but that doesn't mean I should be penalised for wanting to pull a boat trailer or something, right?

So, I've just recieved a text from AT&T along the lines of 'did you know tethering requires a data plan? more info at webaddressblahblah'. This means they're onto me! Where do I stand? Basically, I think I am justified, and if they want me to add a fee to the current $180 a month I'm already paying then I'm going to bail and sign up my jailbroken iphone with another network - perhaps Verizon or Tmobile.

10 of 55 (14,119 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2011 11:37:51 AM
(0)
Master

Peetpeet wrote:

Where do I stand? Basically, I think I am justified, and if they want me to add a fee to the current $180 a month I'm already paying then I'm going to bail and sign up my jailbroken iphone with another network - perhaps Verizon or Tmobile.

You stand in the wrong.  Period.

I love how everyone want an analogy. 

Your "trailer/mywi" attached to your "car/phone" doesn't doesn't have the proper tags, title and registration (ATT tethering plan) and is not allowed on the information highway (ATT's Network).  Smiley Happy

Moving to a different carrier is a choice but you need to check their TOS on tethering.

Peetpeet wrote:

Where do I stand? Basically, I think I am justified, and if they want me to add a fee to the current $180 a month I'm already paying then I'm going to bail and sign up my jailbroken iphone with another network - perhaps Verizon or Tmobile.

You stand in the wrong.  Period.

I love how everyone want an analogy. 

Your "trailer/mywi" attached to your "car/phone" doesn't doesn't have the proper tags, title and registration (ATT tethering plan) and is not allowed on the information highway (ATT's Network).  Smiley Happy

Moving to a different carrier is a choice but you need to check their TOS on tethering.

11 of 55 (11,671 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2011 11:45:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

There is no scenario where using either tethering or hotspot functionality without paying for the service isn't a violation of your existing TOS.

Jailbreaking violates Apple's AUP, which you agreed to when you opened the shrinkwrap, so your warranty can be voided. The only scenario where that could apply is if you somehow brick your phone during the JB process.

After JB, using your data service in a way which is outside the AUP for the data service you're paying for is a violation of the AUP you agreed to with AT&T:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/articles-resources/wireless-terms.jsp

This bit, in BOLD, is the one you're looking for

Any other confusion?

There is no scenario where using either tethering or hotspot functionality without paying for the service isn't a violation of your existing TOS.

Jailbreaking violates Apple's AUP, which you agreed to when you opened the shrinkwrap, so your warranty can be voided. The only scenario where that could apply is if you somehow brick your phone during the JB process.

After JB, using your data service in a way which is outside the AUP for the data service you're paying for is a violation of the AUP you agreed to with AT&T:

Any other confusion?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

12 of 55 (11,669 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2011 11:50:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Peetpeet wrote:

Yep. Let us know how it works out. VZ charges for tethering, as does TMobile. If you're bringing your iPhone to TMo you'll be looking at Edge speeds (woooo, like dialup!), and $45/mo ($30+15 to tether) for data service, on top of voice and SMS. If you're going to VZ, you're looking at buying a new CDMA phone.

Peetpeet wrote:

Yep. Let us know how it works out. VZ charges for tethering, as does TMobile. If you're bringing your iPhone to TMo you'll be looking at Edge speeds (woooo, like dialup!), and $45/mo ($30+15 to tether) for data service, on top of voice and SMS. If you're going to VZ, you're looking at buying a new CDMA phone.

13 of 55 (11,665 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2011 12:28:44 PM
(0)
Mentor

wingrider01 wrote:

Was not a court ruling but

[quote] The U.S. Copyright Office, a division of the Library of Congress, has authorized several new exemptions to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), one of which will allow mobile phone users to "jailbreak" -- or hack into -- their devices to use apps not authorized by the phone's manufacturer. The new rules will be published on Tuesday in the Federal Register.

[/quote]

It will not void the warrenty, its legal and Apple has not right to withold the warrenty since its hardware not software.

If you need service just retore the phone they will never know it was JB

Yes the At&t contract does state what you said.

Using MyWi and found out can cause you problems.

Jailbreak is legal though

wingrider01 wrote:

Was not a court ruling but

[quote] The U.S. Copyright Office, a division of the Library of Congress, has authorized several new exemptions to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), one of which will allow mobile phone users to "jailbreak" -- or hack into -- their devices to use apps not authorized by the phone's manufacturer. The new rules will be published on Tuesday in the Federal Register.

[/quote]

It will not void the warrenty, its legal and Apple has not right to withold the warrenty since its hardware not software.

If you need service just retore the phone they will never know it was JB

Yes the At&t contract does state what you said.

Using MyWi and found out can cause you problems.

Jailbreak is legal though

14 of 55 (11,644 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2011 12:34:06 PM
(0)
Mentor

wingrider01 wrote:

youngjm wrote:

Not illegal in anyway no matter what garbage is used to prove it is.......... Jailbreaking is and will be legal.

reason? Apple makes the Iphone, Apple suplies an OS for it, Apple has an App store.......... Ah theres the rub, others have programs that can run on the Iphone too, they want to sell the apps through a different vendor, Ah, ok cydia and theme it makes money from selling apps like Apple.

OK if Apple shuts down Jailbreaking they ensure a monopoly on apps and put the other vendors out of business.

Monopoly........ Illegal in the USA

So Jailbreaking will stay.

wingrider01 wrote:

youngjm wrote:

Not illegal in anyway no matter what garbage is used to prove it is.......... Jailbreaking is and will be legal.

reason? Apple makes the Iphone, Apple suplies an OS for it, Apple has an App store.......... Ah theres the rub, others have programs that can run on the Iphone too, they want to sell the apps through a different vendor, Ah, ok cydia and theme it makes money from selling apps like Apple.

OK if Apple shuts down Jailbreaking they ensure a monopoly on apps and put the other vendors out of business.

Monopoly........ Illegal in the USA

So Jailbreaking will stay.

15 of 55 (11,644 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2011 12:39:37 PM
(0)
Mentor

johninsj wrote:

Any other confusion?

Yes, yes, yes and many things are in contracts like this one that may or may not be legal ( no matter if a lawyer helped to draw it up or not)

you can post this till the cows come home but the fact is

We pay for a data plan

the phone can stream and play music and videos

it surfs the net.

it uses data to do this.

If I hook a cable to the phone to hook to the computer but use the connection to go to this site on my laptop instead of on the browser on my phone I must now pay an xtra charge?

We are fools to pay for the same data use twice! It should be challanged in court as overcharging for the same service.........until then you are right but it does not make At&t right.

johninsj wrote:

Any other confusion?

Yes, yes, yes and many things are in contracts like this one that may or may not be legal ( no matter if a lawyer helped to draw it up or not)

We pay for a data plan

it surfs the net.

it uses data to do this.

If I hook a cable to the phone to hook to the computer but use the connection to go to this site on my laptop instead of on the browser on my phone I must now pay an xtra charge?

We are fools to pay for the same data use twice! It should be challanged in court as overcharging for the same service.........until then you are right but it does not make At&t right.

16 of 55 (11,640 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2011 12:58:25 PM
(0)
Contributor

Well bugger. Guess I'll be signing up for tethering plan then. Not a happy bunny.

Well bugger. Guess I'll be signing up for tethering plan then. Not a happy bunny.

17 of 55 (11,630 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2011 1:17:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Palmbeliever wrote:

Yes, you must. Because you agreed to do it when you accepted the legally binding contract. If you didn't agree to those terms, you should not have signed the contract.

They were the same terms before, as now.

Palmbeliever wrote:

Yes, you must. Because you agreed to do it when you accepted the legally binding contract. If you didn't agree to those terms, you should not have signed the contract.

They were the same terms before, as now.

18 of 55 (11,614 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2011 1:55:39 PM
(0)
Expert

Palmbeliever wrote:

johninsj wrote:

Any other confusion?

We pay for a data plan

it surfs the net.

it uses data to do this.

justify theft of service anyway you like to your own sensibilities - in the end it is still that - theft of service no matter how you try to BHL it.  So put your money where your mouth is - don;t talk about it - challenge it

Palmbeliever wrote:

johninsj wrote:

Any other confusion?

We pay for a data plan

it surfs the net.

it uses data to do this.

justify theft of service anyway you like to your own sensibilities - in the end it is still that - theft of service no matter how you try to BHL it.  So put your money where your mouth is - don;t talk about it - challenge it

19 of 55 (11,584 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2011 9:01:35 PM
(0)
Scholar
It's amazing that there's all these repetitive posts about the same thing. I guess it's a good way to leverage in other possible debates to make. I think there should be unlimited tethering and taco bell shouldn't charge extra for sour cream. It's like wow, something that someone wants and people will pay for it so it's charged. Business 101.
It's amazing that there's all these repetitive posts about the same thing. I guess it's a good way to leverage in other possible debates to make. I think there should be unlimited tethering and taco bell shouldn't charge extra for sour cream. It's like wow, something that someone wants and people will pay for it so it's charged. Business 101.

20 of 55 (11,523 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2011 10:01:58 AM
(0)
Expert

Now ATT will start taking steps on the 03/27

AT&T spokesperson Seth Bloom has confirmed that the carrier is alerting users that are tethering without paying for it that they have three options going forward: stop tethering and keep their current data plan, call AT&T and move to an official tethering plan, or, if the customer takes no action by March 27th, ATT will add the tethering plan for them. Bloom explains that the company has decided to stop unauthorized tethering in an attempt to create "fairness for all of [their] customers." You can find an example of one of the letters that AT&T is sending these users below

Now ATT will start taking steps on the 03/27

AT&T spokesperson Seth Bloom has confirmed that the carrier is alerting users that are tethering without paying for it that they have three options going forward: stop tethering and keep their current data plan, call AT&T and move to an official tethering plan, or, if the customer takes no action by March 27th, ATT will add the tethering plan for them. Bloom explains that the company has decided to stop unauthorized tethering in an attempt to create "fairness for all of [their] customers." You can find an example of one of the letters that AT&T is sending these users below

21 of 55 (11,257 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2011 10:16:31 AM
(0)
Professor
I guess there goes the argument that there's no way AT&T knows what kind of data you're using.
I guess there goes the argument that there's no way AT&T knows what kind of data you're using.

22 of 55 (11,254 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2011 10:33:54 AM
(0)
Expert

SLIKRICK wrote:

never was a arguement - just a misconception on peoples parts

SLIKRICK wrote:

23 of 55 (11,250 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2011 11:17:09 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by josephz2va on Mar 18, 2011 at 11:25:34 AM

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/18/atandt-tells-customers-using-unauthorized-tethering-methods-to-pa...

Jailbreaking does not violate your terms of service.

Unauthorized Tethering does violate your terms of service if caught, which you will now. Free Tethering and $30 Unlimited Data service is not part of your contract which costs AT&T tens of millions of dollars for free riders.

But rather than seeking $80 a month penalty fee (3-10GB) ($800 from July to April) or terminating your contract, it doesn't seem they will and just request that you stop using your MiWi or continue and pay the piper on your April bill for how much you go on data tethering.

If you decide to continue with Tethering, it would be $105 a month for 10 Gigabytes following your phone and text bill parts, plus additions you signed up for.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/18/atandt-tells-customers-using-unauthorized-tethering-methods-to-pay/

Unauthorized Tethering does violate your terms of service if caught, which you will now. Free Tethering and $30 Unlimited Data service is not part of your contract which costs AT&T tens of millions of dollars for free riders.

But rather than seeking $80 a month penalty fee (3-10GB) ($800 from July to April) or terminating your contract, it doesn't seem they will and just request that you stop using your MiWi or continue and pay the piper on your April bill for how much you go on data tethering.

If you decide to continue with Tethering, it would be $105 a month for 10 Gigabytes following your phone and text bill parts, plus additions you signed up for.

[ Edited ]
24 of 55 (11,227 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2011 11:32:27 AM
(0)
Expert

josephz2va wrote:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/18/atandt-tells-customers-using-unauthorized-tethering-methods-to-pa...

remember terminating your contract could be an expensive option depending on the ETF that is left for your contract. I really doubt that you could argue they are changing their terms to justify no etf since the no tethering without paying for the feature has been in the base cellular service agreement for years.

If you continue to tether after the 27th they will change your data plan to the tethering one, a valid change according to teh TOS

josephz2va wrote:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/18/atandt-tells-customers-using-unauthorized-tethering-methods-to-pay/

remember terminating your contract could be an expensive option depending on the ETF that is left for your contract. I really doubt that you could argue they are changing their terms to justify no etf since the no tethering without paying for the feature has been in the base cellular service agreement for years.

If you continue to tether after the 27th they will change your data plan to the tethering one, a valid change according to teh TOS

25 of 55 (11,211 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2011 12:42:02 PM
(0)
Scholar

It's the "I want something for nothing" brigade which is an offshoot of the "If I want it I can have it on my terms because you are a big, greedy corporation who wants my first-born child" group. Grow up people! TANSTAAFL to quote Robert A. Heinlein (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.)

It's the "I want something for nothing" brigade which is an offshoot of the "If I want it I can have it on my terms because you are a big, greedy corporation who wants my first-born child" group. Grow up people! TANSTAAFL to quote Robert A. Heinlein (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.)

26 of 55 (11,193 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2011 6:29:01 PM
(0)
Employee

I'm not going to be too happy to see all the calls coming in "I lost my unlimited data plan and got the 4GB play for $45..I want my unlimited back"

once the system realizes you continued to tether after the first sms you recieved you will lose your unlimited and you won't get it back.

I'm not going to be too happy to see all the calls coming in "I lost my unlimited data plan and got the 4GB play for $45..I want my unlimited back"

once the system realizes you continued to tether after the first sms you recieved you will lose your unlimited and you won't get it back.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

27 of 55 (11,156 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2011 9:08:31 AM
(0)
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

SLIKRICK wrote:

It has never been a matter of misconception neither. Browser detection and packet sniffing have been discussed on these boards numerous times. It's a matter of the cost of using these methods on all the millions of lines versus what might be recovered in lost revenue. Implementing the above methods to be done automatically for the entire customer base would not be logical at all. Seems like the logical thing to do, on AT&T's part, would be to target those high data users that are on unlimited plans. Without unlimited plans, tethering is really a non issue due to the caps. Even AT&T signaled that when it added the additional 2GB of data to the tethering plan.

wingrider01 wrote:

SLIKRICK wrote:

It has never been a matter of misconception neither. Browser detection and packet sniffing have been discussed on these boards numerous times. It's a matter of the cost of using these methods on all the millions of lines versus what might be recovered in lost revenue. Implementing the above methods to be done automatically for the entire customer base would not be logical at all. Seems like the logical thing to do, on AT&T's part, would be to target those high data users that are on unlimited plans. Without unlimited plans, tethering is really a non issue due to the caps. Even AT&T signaled that when it added the additional 2GB of data to the tethering plan.

28 of 55 (11,098 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2011 11:39:25 AM
(0)
Expert

sitnsidewayz wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

SLIKRICK wrote:

sorry there are numerous posts stating that "ATT cannot detect if I am tethering". Cost is minor since it is a stock feature on commercial grade Cisco gear and is just a licencse cost for the IOS functionalty.

More logical is what they are going to do starting the 27th - you tether and you do not have the tethering plan you get your data plan and feture code changed if you do not stop tethering. Perfect solution.

sitnsidewayz wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

SLIKRICK wrote:

sorry there are numerous posts stating that "ATT cannot detect if I am tethering". Cost is minor since it is a stock feature on commercial grade Cisco gear and is just a licencse cost for the IOS functionalty.

More logical is what they are going to do starting the 27th - you tether and you do not have the tethering plan you get your data plan and feture code changed if you do not stop tethering. Perfect solution.

29 of 55 (11,078 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2011 12:01:58 PM
(0)
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

SLIKRICK wrote:

Stock feature at a minor cost? LOL. So, why didn't they start a long time ago if it is so cheap? Perhaps you can evaluate on this stock feature. LOL. They can pick up on those that are going through the tethering APN when they shouldn't be, but there are ways around that. Packet sniffing and browser detection would be costly to have as in automated feature. Still more logical to target and evaluate high users. A big part of doing this is scare tactics. That alone will stop many of the minor incidental users, but the intent is to stop the big users.

wingrider01 wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

SLIKRICK wrote:

Stock feature at a minor cost? LOL. So, why didn't they start a long time ago if it is so cheap? Perhaps you can evaluate on this stock feature. LOL. They can pick up on those that are going through the tethering APN when they shouldn't be, but there are ways around that. Packet sniffing and browser detection would be costly to have as in automated feature. Still more logical to target and evaluate high users. A big part of doing this is scare tactics. That alone will stop many of the minor incidental users, but the intent is to stop the big users.

30 of 55 (11,063 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments