Does iPhone 3GS work with Tmobile in the US?

Mentor

Does iPhone 3GS work with Tmobile in the US?

Wife ordered an iPhone 4, want to sell her 3GS.

I have a friend who wants to buy it, but he is on Tmobile, so want to know if we just out in his SIM card, will it work?

I know it will probably work for calls, but what about data?

Message 1 of 7
Guru

Re: Does iPhone 3GS work with Tmobile in the US?

dagarwal313 wrote:

Wife ordered an iPhone 4, want to sell her 3GS.

I have a friend who wants to buy it, but he is on Tmobile, so want to know if we just out in his SIM card, will it work?

I know it will probably work for calls, but what about data?

Not without some work. All iPhones sold in the US are carrier locked to AT&T. In order to use a iPhone on T-Mo its must be jailbroken and unlocked which can not be discussed here. Another down side is while it can use data it will be restricted to Edge instead of 3G since T-Mo operates their 3G on frequencies not supported by the iPhone 3GS.

Message 2 of 7
Mentor

The 3gs can be unlock to use other gsm carriers but AT&T and Tmobile use different #G frequencies. So people with unlocked iPhones running on Tmobile's network don't get 3G service. But the EGDE works very well. I have heard no complaints from my friends.

Message 3 of 7
Guru

Just to clarify what AshyAsh said there is no Official unlock. Neither AT&T or Apple will unlock a US iPhone for any reason. Only way to unlock a US iPhone is by 3rd party methods.

Message 4 of 7
Mentor

Thanks everyone, so basically can only sell to an AT&T user.

Message 5 of 7
Guru

dagarwal313 wrote:

Well you could still sell to a T-Mo user if they can live with using Edge and 3G and also dont mind the risk of bricking the phone trying to unlock it and keeping it unlocked during future updates. Some Apple updates in the past have not played nice with unlocked phones resulting in a bricked iPhone if the user is not perfectly clear on what they are doing.

Message 6 of 7
Scholar

Neihn wrote:

dagarwal313 wrote:

Well you could still sell to a T-Mo user if they can live with using Edge and 3G and also dont mind the risk of bricking the phone trying to unlock it and keeping it unlocked during future updates. Some Apple updates in the past have not played nice with unlocked phones resulting in a bricked iPhone if the user is not perfectly clear on what they are doing.

Yeah it takes a bit of hacker skills but it can be done.  If you are good with computers you can do it.  If not just switch the phone to AT&T.  I am good at hacking but I would rather have a faster network so I went with AT&T even though I used to be on TMO

Message 7 of 7
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support